Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 71  All

Author Topic: MXXXVII - Diffusion of Power (Mafia win flawlessly)  (Read 143432 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: MXXXVII - Diffusion of Power (D1)
« Reply #450 on: January 17, 2014, 05:08:55 pm »

Is it time for me to do D1 POE and get misunderstood? It's time for me to do D1 POE and get misunderstood.

sudgy, can you please update the OP with the current player list? nkirbit is still listed.

Post count (no pre-game):
50 Twistedarcher
44 Jimmmmm
42 yuma - Pass and/or don't lynch yuma D1.
36 Voltaire - me!
32 pingpongsam
30 faust - a big town read for me
28 Teproc
13 Archetype
11 AHoppy
8 chairs - town read due to forgetting about the game
7 Eevee
7 scott_pilgrim - don't lynch new players D1 unless they claim scum
3 Robz888 - doesn't play D1 as town

There's more I could do here, and almost certainly will later, but man this game just being theory (mostly) so far sucks.

I want to vote: AHoppy.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 17, 2014, 05:09:45 pm »

And by that I mean, I am very hesitant to eliminate the top posters like I usually do since scum probably posted about theory a lot.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 17, 2014, 06:10:30 pm »

Town read on chairs.

This again ? Is there a reason you might want to share with us ?

He forgot about the game.

I had this read on chairs before, and someone tried to tell me he could be scum, but he turned out to be town. I've yet to see scum pull that gambit.

I quite agree with this sentiment

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 17, 2014, 06:13:45 pm »

Selfishly, though...I want to play mafia, and that involves lynching people.

Same. Toy Story sucked.

I'll no-lynch on later days when it makes sense as a one- or two-off, but not consistently.

Well toy story was lame because we were leaving everything to mafia.... town didn't get to do anything during the night. That is not the case here. That is why the argument is compelling (and is often compelling in RMM games) here... people have stuff to do during the night. So I wouldn't compare this game to Toy Story.

At this point I would be willing to vote: no lynch.

If we aren't going to do that, I think my lynch candidates are 1. Robz--his meta is that he doesn't care when he is town, but he exploits that far too often and I wonder if he is here... 2. teproc--probably my biggest scum read, I'll expand later when I have a chance 3. faust--don't see the townread from voltaire... 4.

Hmmm maybe those three are the main ones. Others I could, but I prefer one of those three, but prefer no lynch to everything right now...

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 17, 2014, 06:27:18 pm »

I'll Vote: Eevee for being a low poster. Townread on PPS still.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 17, 2014, 06:33:39 pm »

I think Yuma reacted in a mostly towny way to my vote. And I really don't want to lynch Yuma d1 unless I'm positive he's scum, which I am not here.

Still think that eevee isn't playing like himself -- I associate town d1 eevee with being unsure and not really contributing much until he can get his reads together a bit. Which I didn't see here. vote: eevee
Haha, it feels extremely weird to argue this point, but I haven't really contributed very much today. I feel a lot like myself!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 17, 2014, 06:40:51 pm »

2. teproc--probably my biggest scum read, I'll expand later when I have a chance

Excited to hear it, although I'm surprisd to be "2" if I'm really your biggest scum read.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 17, 2014, 06:49:13 pm »

Weirdly enough, I agree almost entirely with Voltaire's list, and the majority of his reads, it seems. Go Voltaire!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 17, 2014, 06:53:10 pm »

I wouldn't eliminate yuma, but I would eliminate PPS (and myself). So mostly agree as well!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 17, 2014, 06:54:40 pm »

2. teproc--probably my biggest scum read, I'll expand later when I have a chance

Excited to hear it, although I'm surprisd to be "2" if I'm really your biggest scum read.

Working backwards from the bottom up of the post list that voltaire posted... so not in order just 1.2.3.4 (except there wasn't a fourth I was very interested in lynching)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 17, 2014, 06:55:34 pm »

No no no didn't you read my post? You're supposed to misunderstand it!  :(

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 17, 2014, 06:58:38 pm »

No no no didn't you read my post? You're supposed to misunderstand it!  :(

Oh god Voltaire is doing PoE already ? So useless and stupid !
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 17, 2014, 07:20:14 pm »

I wouldn't eliminate yuma, but I would eliminate PPS (and myself). So mostly agree as well!

Why PPS?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 18, 2014, 08:37:40 am »

Do you think I'm scum, pps?

I don't know. I think you are my favorite target for discovering your alignment because if I could know you were town I would be able to set said my suspicions and discover a better focus. If I thought you were for sure scum I'd be voting you right now.

It's these Cop softclaims that are the reason for my policy vote. Especially coming from someone who argued strongly against claiming.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 18, 2014, 08:44:44 am »

Why PPS?
He is a townread, and while he admitted recognizing that the out there behavior is an easy way to score town cred from me, it's also what got him lynched as a VT in his second game (despite my vehement opposition!), so I don't think he'd choose to create convoluted conspiracy theories as a ploy for town cred.

Also, he is active and keeps the game moving, and I think his creative ideas are generally good for our scumhunting morale.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 18, 2014, 09:31:53 am »

Do you think I'm scum, pps?

I don't know. I think you are my favorite target for discovering your alignment because if I could know you were town I would be able to set said my suspicions and discover a better focus. If I thought you were for sure scum I'd be voting you right now.

It's these Cop softclaims that are the reason for my policy vote. Especially coming from someone who argued strongly against claiming.

Interesting take on that. I actually meant it more as a cop directive than as "Imma target you with my cop power which must be fairly early or else why would I mention it like this, so kill me ASAP there scum guys, derp".

I'll be happy to take your double vote on me for trying to direct Town cops, though.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 18, 2014, 09:33:30 am »

Also, TA immediately echoed me. Why do I get the vote and you ignore him doing the same?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 18, 2014, 09:43:37 am »

Also, TA immediately echoed me. Why do I get the vote and you ignore him doing the same?

I just think it's strange that people would A) comment on their night action before it happens or B) try to tell other players what to do with their night action. Both seem more scummy things to do. TA did this a little bit, but no as much as you.

But I guess I am back to vote: no lynch, because that's still the best we can do.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 18, 2014, 01:36:57 pm »

3. faust--don't see the townread from voltaire...

Is the only reason why you would lynch me because you don't have a town read on me?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 18, 2014, 07:04:57 pm »

I don't think no lynch is the best option.  I think we can do better than that, and it will give us more info for D2.  I don't think we can be afraid of killing a PR, because everyone is a PR!  I don't think that is a valid excuse.  For all we know, we won't even get any results tomorrow.  I'm going to be V/LA until probably tuesday as I am moving back to school and settling in.  Lemme know if Robz ever shows up...

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 18, 2014, 08:13:39 pm »

I don't think no lynch is the best option.  I think we can do better than that, and it will give us more info for D2.  I don't think we can be afraid of killing a PR, because everyone is a PR!  I don't think that is a valid excuse.  For all we know, we won't even get any results tomorrow.  I'm going to be V/LA until probably tuesday as I am moving back to school and settling in.  Lemme know if Robz ever shows up...

You want to lynch for information, but the more people we keep alive until D5, the more info we get. So this argument doesn't work. And I think info from PRs is more important than wagon analysis.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 18, 2014, 08:24:18 pm »

Is the only reason why you would lynch me because you don't have a town read on me?

Yep. That must be the reason. Couldn't be the reasons I was voting for you earlier, right?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 18, 2014, 08:26:24 pm »

You want to lynch for information, but the more people we keep alive until D5, the more info we get. So this argument doesn't work. And I think info from PRs is more important than wagon analysis.

Furthermore, the argument doesn't work because if we don't have Day1 now, Day2 will become the new Day1. So we won't be lacking information... the crucial aspect is that we will be down a player basically starting day1 over again but hopefully with some relevant information and a greater potential to obtain it later in the game.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 18, 2014, 08:54:34 pm »

Yep. That must be the reason. Couldn't be the reasons I was voting for you earlier, right?

Okay, reading again, your reasons were 1) I was "discouraging setup discussion" by voting pps, 2) I was one of the votes on pps, and according to you, scum would have voted for pps. Well, fair enough, it's D1 and there wasn't a lot besides theory talk, so I guess you could come to that conclusion.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 18, 2014, 09:53:57 pm »

My position on no-lynch, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the vote:

If we mislynch today we know for certain we will hit a PR. The question is whether or not the information gained from the lynch outweighs the collateral damage of losing a PR. For D1 purposes the answer is a resounding no. The problem with using that as the basis for going into no lynch is the assumption that there somehow must be a mislynch.

If we do correctly lynch today then there becomes zero question that lynching was the best possible move to make.

So the question then fallaciously seems to start centering around how probable it is that we would correctly lynch. That is impossible to ever calculate because there is no way to account for which PR gets NK'd. If a N1 cop gets NK'd then there's a dramatic reduction in the utility gained by avoiding the mislynch of that N1 cop (even if there were another N1 cop in the game).

Thus, I posit that the positive coefficient of a correct lynch is sufficiently greater than the negative coefficient of a mislynch to make no-lynch the less attractive option precisely because it is Day 1.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 71  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.