Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 53  All

Author Topic: M70: Switch Mafia 2 (Game Over!)  (Read 140454 times)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: M70: Switch Mafia 2 (Day 1)
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2015, 02:09:48 pm »

Also, about the setup:

yuma and I might be the only players left alive on f.ds that played this the first time it was run here (or was yuma the mod?).  I was scum there and from what I recall, the switches made zero difference.  We lost because of claims, but had a nice run with first-timer Qvist taking the first-ever MVP for a losing side.

All this to say: the switches mean poop.  PRs play like PRs play.

No the switches were meaningless because we lynched galz, the sk, day1 on a derphammer by me and I barely survived getting lynched on day2 for it... So the mafia just permanently left the switches in their favor and all prs were useless, or something like that...

Hey look, someone else talking about the switches, and being generally useful.

Boo Jimmmmm.

How does it help us lynch scum?

it might in the future. I think putting a moratorium on a certain subject isn't just a great idea. Jimmmm seems to think that if we allow talking about "switches" then scum will be able to communicate with the SK and co-ordinate switches. But that is just like.... What? Why has no one questioned this line or reasoning?

Why would mafia want to communicate with a SK? Or SK to the mafia. They aren't on the same team and at some point down the road if one knows about the other they will target and kill each other. So by all means mafia and SK can talk to each other if they want--and at the same time, hopefully the town players here would be able to possibly pick up on said communication.

Jimmmmm attempting to just shove all of that under the rug because he says it is in the best interest of the town is either misguided or scum trying to look pro-town in an easy fashion. in my experience, more talking means more finding scum because it means more opportunities for scum to say something/do something that town can pick up on immediately or at a future date to catch them.

and then using such reasoning to cast easy suspicion...

vote: Jimmmm

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2015, 02:12:09 pm »

this one

That's a phenomenal post, and possibly the best one in the game up to this point.

You are just salty because you don't like me, my plans, and the fact that I win regardless of your opinion.

actually, no. No on all points, even. I don't dislike you - I judge people way more based on their moral standards than on how they treat me - and the reason why the post I quoted is scummy is because there is a narrative for mafia!you to subtly nudge SK!? into thinking more about the setup. I did not want to explain this for reasons which are now obvious but you made me to. which is bad.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2015, 02:14:00 pm »

I deliberately avoided including you in potential RVS, but I can't not vote for you if you're my biggest scum read, which you were at that point. Not that it means much, because it was super early into day 1.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2015, 02:21:01 pm »

The ash wagon is actually bad.

Vote: silverspawn

read ash's post again and then think some more about it - I think there's about a 46% chance that you will realize the strong scum narrative that it has in combination with the lack of a town narrative.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2015, 02:48:28 pm »

it might in the future. I think putting a moratorium on a certain subject isn't just a great idea. Jimmmm seems to think that if we allow talking about "switches" then scum will be able to communicate with the SK and co-ordinate switches. But that is just like.... What? Why has no one questioned this line or reasoning?

Why would mafia want to communicate with a SK? Or SK to the mafia. They aren't on the same team and at some point down the road if one knows about the other they will target and kill each other. So by all means mafia and SK can talk to each other if they want--and at the same time, hopefully the town players here would be able to possibly pick up on said communication.

Jimmmmm attempting to just shove all of that under the rug because he says it is in the best interest of the town is either misguided or scum trying to look pro-town in an easy fashion. in my experience, more talking means more finding scum because it means more opportunities for scum to say something/do something that town can pick up on immediately or at a future date to catch them.

and then using such reasoning to cast easy suspicion...

vote: Jimmmm

Well, with some parts I can agree.

The SK and the mafia probably don't want to communicate. But if we were to talk about Switch tactics and reach a universally accepted best tactic, then both mafia and SK can act according to that.

More to the point though, talking about Switches does nothing for us. They do not influence town's decision making in the slightest.

I agree that it's convenient to cast suspicion on that basis though.

Me agreeing with you usually means you're scum though.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2015, 02:53:27 pm »

Is the forum loading really slow for anyone else?

My trying to quote stuff basically results in a time out.
I'll be back from class in a few hours. Maybe it'll be better then.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2015, 03:02:42 pm »

Forum is slow for me too.

I think I see your point, silver. At least I see something, but it doesn't quite convince me. It makes me want to not vote you though.

So vote: Roadrunner for coming here, OMGUSing, and disappearing.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2015, 03:16:06 pm »

The SK and the mafia probably don't want to communicate. But if we were to talk about Switch tactics and reach a universally accepted best tactic, then both mafia and SK can act according to that.

More to the point though, talking about Switches does nothing for us. They do not influence town's decision making in the slightest.

Sure. But no one was doing that. No one was saying "Optimal strategy for mafia would be X. Here you go mafia, freebee on me!" No one would do that. It doesn't even need to be stated.

If mafia wants to try and subtly try and communicate with the SK I say let them as I said above. At the worst they can barely understand each other, kinda work with each other for a day 1/2 and then kill each other off. At best town realizes there is some communication going on and lynches them.

but to put a hard fast rule against all communication not only prevents what wasn't ever going to happen in the first place, but also prevents what could have happened in town noticing some subtitles of mafia communicating. It prevented a potential scum hunting opportunity in exchange for Jimmmmm looking good. The only person who benefited from that post was Jimmmmm.

And, yeah forum is slow.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2015, 03:24:55 pm »

See, the idea why it was bad was that SK might have messed up and done something stupid. With everything that happened, now that's impossible. At this point, we might aswell talk about it. Still not good idea, because there is nothing to talk about for town, but the damage has already been done beyond cluttering up the thread.

It would not have happened had everyone listened to Jimmmm immediately, and therefore everyone who didn't is scummy.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2015, 03:25:36 pm »

vote: yuma

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2015, 03:25:44 pm »

I do now understand, I think, the reason why people find Ash scummy. But I'm not convinced yet, and that was a fairly big wagon for so early.
So imma sheep faust for now, cos from the games I've read that seems to be how to win games.  :P vote: ss

sheeping faust is one of my favorite strats.

we should start making it a stat included in the f.ds statistics!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2015, 03:26:37 pm »

but to put a hard fast rule against all communication not only prevents what wasn't ever going to happen in the first place, but also prevents what could have happened in town noticing some subtitles of mafia communicating. It prevented a potential scum hunting opportunity in exchange for Jimmmmm looking good. The only person who benefited from that post was Jimmmmm.

You made so much more sense in fanfiction mafia

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2015, 03:29:11 pm »

See, the idea why it was bad was that SK might have messed up and done something stupid. With everything that happened, now that's impossible. At this point, we might aswell talk about it. Still not good idea, because there is nothing to talk about for town, but the damage has already been done beyond cluttering up the thread.

It would not have happened had everyone listened to Jimmmm immediately, and therefore everyone who didn't is scummy.

I don't follow... I feel like you are saying that based off the communication so far the SK would now have been able to infer an optimal play strategy that they might not have previously been able to do? I don't follow where that could come from... I don't see any post that said or even alluded to "this play strategy is better"

You are basically saying "the chance that mafia/SK might learn how to play better from us just discussing whether we should discuss this is worth a trade off for scum hunting opportunities"

that is like saying hoping osmosis would fulfill the need to drink water.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:14 pm »

You made so much more sense in fanfiction mafia

I am making sense! Scum hunting opportunities are worth trading for any intangible and unlikely benefit the SK/Mafia might incur from obtaining those opportunities--plus the chance that SK and mafia will just kill themselves off for us.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2015, 03:43:53 pm »

I think I see your point, silver. At least I see something, but it doesn't quite convince me. It makes me want to not vote you though.

Disappearing? And OMGUSing you? You've still earned my vote, buddy.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2015, 03:48:47 pm »

You are basically saying "the chance that mafia/SK might learn how to play better from us just discussing whether we should discuss this is worth a trade off for scum hunting opportunities"

yes and indeed. the former has the potential to prevent massive advantages, whereas the former is hardly worth anything, since we can probably get scum reads more effectively by talking about other things.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2015, 03:48:55 pm »

*the latter

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2015, 03:49:39 pm »

Disappearing? And OMGUSing you? You've still earned my vote, buddy.

How did he earn it?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2015, 03:51:46 pm »

yes and indeed. the former has the potential to prevent massive advantages, whereas the former is hardly worth anything, since we can probably get scum reads more effectively by talking about other things.

I completely disagree. You really think someone got massive advantages from what we just talked about above. yes someone, like you, could theoretically spell out the perfect play for mafia/SK in this scenario, but no one was ever going to do that. And yeah, we will now scum hunt using other methods and that is fine, but it was a missed opportunity to see if someone would do something (try and communicate with SK or slightly manipulate how switches would work) that we could have used either immediately or later after getting some flips. now that opportunity is lost because any scum that thought "maybe I could try this" is know aware that we are on high alert and will be voted for just saying the word switch

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2015, 03:51:58 pm »

switch

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2015, 03:52:07 pm »

switch

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2015, 03:52:14 pm »

switch

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2015, 03:53:01 pm »

switch, switch, switch, switch, switchvote: jimmm

probably only ash will get this joke.... I miss a lot of people...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2015, 04:03:14 pm »

I literally called the switches poop like twenty times.

Silver spawn freaking out about that is contrived.

vote: silverspawn
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2015, 04:08:13 pm »

I LIKE WHAT YOU GOT

Vote: Silverspawn
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 53  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 16 queries.