Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2312691 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #2875 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:25 pm »
+2

Speaking from experience?

No, thankfully.  It seems like the epitome of a Scumbag Steve move though; blatantly lying to someone to get a marginal benefit.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: October 22, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »
+11

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: October 22, 2013, 10:43:01 pm »
+15

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: October 26, 2013, 07:34:10 am »
+2

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2879 on: October 26, 2013, 07:48:02 am »
+4

Treasury is a pretty good $5, Militia is a very good $4 and Copper is a very bad $0. So, at $4, Bureaucrat is extremely powerful. Probably the best card in all of Dominion.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: October 26, 2013, 10:35:53 am »

Treasury is a pretty good $5, Militia is a very good $4 and Copper is a very bad $0. So, at $4, Bureaucrat is extremely powerful. Probably the best card in all of Dominion.

Very funny. I see you really thought about what i said - or was it just about how to make fun of it?

Treasury, Treasure-Duration, 5$
Each buy phase this is in play it produces 1$.
---
Do not discard this during cleanup.
---
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, discard this.

Treasury is basically a Copper that stays in play until you buy a Victory card.

Bureaucrat decreases the number of useful cards in your opponents hand and gives you money (like Militia). It does both things next turn (though i admit Silver gain/+2$ is not a perfect match).

Edit: Also Copper is basically the best 0$ there is, which further invalidates your "point".
Edit: I have been rude here because i didn't get the joke.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:39:29 pm by Asper »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: October 26, 2013, 12:01:59 pm »
+1

Bureaucrat would have fit really well in Seaside...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2882 on: October 26, 2013, 01:16:33 pm »
+1

Very funny. I see you really thought about what i said - or was it just about how to make fun of it?

---
---

Bureaucrat decreases the number of useful cards in your opponents hand and gives you money (like Militia). It does both things next turn (though i admit Silver gain/+2$ is not a perfect match).

Edit: Also Copper is basically the best 0$ there is, which further invalidates your "point".
I'm not sure if you missed it, have forgotten it, or just never thought it was funny in the first place, but I was referring to the guide on some site which claimed that Bureaucrat was the best card in all of Dominion (I'm actually not sure if these were the exact words on the article, but that was the point anyway). The site had other pretty interesting and unique views about things in other Dominion related articles, too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: October 26, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
+6

Edge case:  Ruined Market on a board with lots of draw and actions, and no other +Buy.

BaruMonkey

• Bishop
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: October 26, 2013, 03:11:17 pm »
+2

Edge case:  Ruined Market on a board with lots of draw and actions, and no other +Buy.
Edge case: 3-piling with the last Curse

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2885 on: October 26, 2013, 03:13:48 pm »
+1

Peddler on a board with cantrips. :D

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: October 26, 2013, 03:55:17 pm »

---
---

Bureaucrat really only has its effect one of the turns, though.  Either that victory card is useful this turn (Nobles, Harem, with a Baron, with a trasher, etc.) or it's dead weight.  In the former, then it's not a dead card next turn.  In the latter, it's not a dead card this turn.  And it only gives you the money next turn.  So it's really straddling the duration.

(Edge case: If opponent has Baron, Estate and three Copper, then top-decking their Estate hurts them this turn and it's a dead card next turn if they don't have anything else to use it.  It similarly can mess the opponent up if he has something like a Chapel.)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: October 26, 2013, 05:29:49 pm »

---
---

I'm not sure if you missed it, have forgotten it, or just never thought it was funny in the first place, but I was referring to the guide on some site which claimed that Bureaucrat was the best card in all of Dominion (I'm actually not sure if these were the exact words on the article, but that was the point anyway). The site had other pretty interesting and unique views about things in other Dominion related articles, too.

I didn't know that this site existed (and never would have guessed it). I'm sorry for my rudeness and would like to thank you for the explanation.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: October 26, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »

---
---

Bureaucrat really only has its effect one of the turns, though.  Either that victory card is useful this turn (Nobles, Harem, with a Baron, with a trasher, etc.) or it's dead weight.  In the former, then it's not a dead card next turn.  In the latter, it's not a dead card this turn.  And it only gives you the money next turn.  So it's really straddling the duration.

(Edge case: If opponent has Baron, Estate and three Copper, then top-decking their Estate hurts them this turn and it's a dead card next turn if they don't have anything else to use it.  It similarly can mess the opponent up if he has something like a Chapel.)

I don't mean "Duration" as srictly as you probably think - Sea Hag and Ghost Ship are also cards with delayed effects and just happen to reach it without staying in play another turn. So while they don't need the Duration type, they clearly go with Seaside's concept. Treasury is a good example for a card that manages to do a "Duration" effect without needing a Duration type.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:40:33 pm by Asper »

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: October 26, 2013, 06:12:26 pm »

---
---

I didn't know that this site existed (and never would have guessed it). I'm sorry for my rudeness and would like to thank you for the explanation.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4671616_use-bureaucrat-dominion.html
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: October 27, 2013, 12:46:51 am »

That's kind of redundant.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10774
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: October 27, 2013, 01:46:54 am »
+2

More obvious edge case: Followers. (And Madman, Mercenary, Spoils, and all other Prizes. Unless we want to be pedantic about 0 vs 0*. But the rules do clarify that 0* counts as 0 for anything when determining the cost of something.)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2892 on: October 27, 2013, 04:48:07 am »

That's kind of redundant.
That's the joke.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: October 27, 2013, 07:06:03 am »

http://www.ehow.com/how_4671616_use-bureaucrat-dominion.html

Ha ha, actually i do know that site... I remembered it had some pretty stupid advice but didn't read what it said a bout Bureaucrat...

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: October 27, 2013, 11:17:03 am »
+1

Among the things the site says about bureaucrat, it tells you to put a Silver on top of your "Library" to give you buying power on your next turn.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: October 27, 2013, 11:24:05 pm »
+9

More obvious edge case: Followers. (And Madman, Mercenary, Spoils, and all other Prizes. Unless we want to be pedantic about 0 vs 0*. But the rules do clarify that 0* counts as 0 for anything when determining the cost of something.)

I assume that * denotes the involution operator of a *-algebra. That doesn't matter so much for 0* per se, but if you were to consider the cost of Golem, for example, it would become (4P)* = 4 - P, with a negative potion.

For some reason it appears this design space was not completely explored.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: October 31, 2013, 03:37:28 am »
+13

Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:32 pm »
+17

Tearing down is just so much more fun than building up :(.

...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: November 21, 2013, 08:27:49 pm »

bump? I miss this thread...

(nope, no memes to contribute of my own... :P)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: November 21, 2013, 09:29:05 pm »
+3

bump? I miss this thread...

(nope, no memes to contribute of my own... :P)

I was gonna post a scumbag steve meme saying how you want new content but werent willing to make new content yourself, but then I was too lazy to do that. I'm sure someone will make a meme out of that and reap all the upvotes.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 18 queries.