Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69  All

Author Topic: RMM12: Time War Mafia (Game Over - Town + Survivor win!)  (Read 157242 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: RMM12: Time War Mafia (Game Over - Town + Survivor win!)
« Reply #1675 on: January 12, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »

That EFHW had regen was one of those things I couldn't have guessed. OP IC imo.

It was my hope that by giving scum their own regen player, and the Enabler, scum could figure out that the IC also had regen (flavor-wise, all the Time Lords had regen). EFHW's bonus-giving role could give bonuses to scum, too, including an extra kill (!!!). The time-travel "kidnapping" is also negative utility, as nkirbit discovered. Now, there are LOTS of way to play this, and I thought that the discovery was going to be part of the fun of the role. We'll see if EFHW enjoyed it or not.

And honestly, if it's your contention that it is an OP IC, well, isn't that what the Doctor is anyway?  ::) 8)

One thing I will not deny - this setup was swingy as hell. It's my contention/intention it was balanced and swingy both, but I know that's not necessarily for everyone. That's why I advertised this as Role Madness with an emphasis on the Madness.

I think you advertised it correctly.  Swing is something that you can only account for so much in design, and the rest is basically up to the players.

You are also absolutely right that mafia played underwhelmingly, even poorly, and that D1 lynch was terrible.  It should have been easily avoided.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: January 12, 2014, 07:14:57 pm »

kudos to faust for that insight into pps's role not needing time travel. pps was SO towny.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: January 12, 2014, 07:15:14 pm »

The double enabler was obviously going to be town/scum in my opinion.  A 1-1 town-scum trade is always in town's favor.  Losing a couple powers is worth it for town in my opinion.  I think running the setup without the enabler role and giving town another JOAT with two one-shots and giving scum something else might have been better.  (disclaimer- I have absolutely no experience creating/modding.  [I mean, my first game of mafia was toy story])
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: January 12, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »

Thanks for running this, Voltaire!  Cool roles and game mechanics!

Yeah, what was up with the tree-stump?  Was there a catch?  I still think that it's a weird role to have in this type of game, because I'd be extremely disappointed to draw that role.. it does not look like a fun role to draw.

Flavor reason - VERY early in the show (1960s), the Doctor travels with his granddaughter (!). She is horrible, whiny, and he just strands her in the future on Earth when she meets a guy she likes. The show has never explained how the Doctor came to have a granddaughter, and she's almost never referenced in any way. So, how do you turn the Doctor's granddaughter (Susan Foreman) into a role? Tree stump. It can't be anything but Tree Stump.

Mod reason - it's weird, and I hoped, distracting. Such a role has to be town, but...why? It creates the possibility for town to think itself in circles over something that doesn't matter very much, detracting from scumhunting. The 1-shot ability was to make sure the role actually had something fun related to it.

The only way chairs would un-stump was if EFHW (The Doctor) chose chairs (Susan) as his companion N1. I knew this was unlikely to happen, but wanted the possibility of unstumping to exist.

I will fully admit this was the closest thing to something Bastard about this setup, and I'm very grateful for chairs for being cool with it. It's up to the player to decide how much they wanted to be involved in the game, and chairs clearly lost interest. I knew there was a risk that would happen.

Personally, I thought the strongest use of the Psychic part was to check for Bus or Redirect, but chair's choice of Recruit was good too.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: January 12, 2014, 07:19:53 pm »

Okay, I get it. Ash enabled me. And EFHW had her own enabler.

I was working under the premise that I had to kill my own man in order to make the IC vulnerable to NK and to that I say OP.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: January 12, 2014, 07:20:27 pm »

A 1-1 town-scum trade is always in town's favor.

I don't think this is always true.  A lot of it depends who gets the first lynch.. if town is lynched day1, scum can often afford to make fake claims, even if it gets them lynched the next day.  But while they're behind, trading is awful for scum.

There's just such a huge difference between games where town gets lynched day1 and scum gets lynched day1.  When's the last time a mafia team has won after having a member lynched day1?  I think it's before I started playing here, I can't remember one.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 12, 2014, 07:24:16 pm »

Okay, I get it. Ash enabled me. And EFHW had her own enabler.

I was working under the premise that I had to kill my own man in order to make the IC vulnerable to NK and to that I say OP.

Ash enabled EFHW too. Yes, if scum decided that they really wanted EFHW dead, ash would have to die first.

Given that setup, the right call (in my mind) is to just deal with EFHW hanging around and endgame the Doctor. Walrus (the other BP townie), as everyone discovered, could be dealt with via a mislynch.

And if you did want to get rid of your own guy, it creates an amazing situation to bus for UltraTownCred.

Your mileage may vary. I know it isn't traditional, but I was going for the "out there" and "new" in this game.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:23 pm »

Another thing that helped swing things for town was the amazing lining up of night actions by jotheonah/e/faust to clear Jimmmmm and themselves (mostly). That was fun to see evolve as a mod.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 12, 2014, 07:28:10 pm »

Holy crap....i was convinced the tree stump was a face of Bo reference...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:25 pm »

Hey hey hey! Don't like how the game ended, but its good that everyone made up and great job town!

Yeah, it did look a little bit skewed towards town, but scum D1 and D2 lynch was the worst and scum did not play too well, and town was awesome.

And, if your RMM craving wasn't satisfied by this game, check out Wheel of Time RMM!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 12, 2014, 07:33:41 pm »

I had a great time playing this game.

If there is one thing I miss, It would be more time travel roles.
I felt we got control over all time trveling roles in the game at the end there.
Some roles should obviosly not time travel. Watcher, weak doctor and jailkeeper, all who wants to target the same person scum tries to kill would be overpowered if they could target the killed player from previous night.
But the time-travel cop, the follower + voyeur and the modifier cop could easily have been made time traveling. It would not help them much, but it would create some more chaos, and I think I also would make it harder to determine who was fakeclaiming.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:34 pm »

Another thing that helped swing things for town was the amazing lining up of night actions by jotheonah/e/faust to clear Jimmmmm and themselves (mostly). That was fun to see evolve as a mod.

yeah that was neat.

Another point in favor of it actually not being too slanted for town was the confusion of night actions.  I mean, I could totally see a Walrus lynch happening (had all the scum not already been caught).  My N1 investigation with no result is definitely pretty tough to recover from (again, if the scum weren't already lynched), especially after the whole joth/e/faust/jimmm circle makes me look pretty towny. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 12, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »

Holy crap....i was convinced the tree stump was a face of Bo reference...

Chairs claimed his Susan Foreman flavor and nobody reacted.  :( (she had psychic abilities on the show btw)

There was no old/new flavor split, btw. I loved that that almost got momentum going for a faust mislynch. Ian and Barbara are the Doctor's first-ever companions and they were intended as soft Best Friends in their setup mirroring (both JOAT). I put in Rory (flavor-wise, you'd expect Amy) to make Rory as a flavor seem more suspicious (but he died N1, so...) I put Rose as a mafia fakeclaim since it seems like she should be a big town PR. Jenny (ash) was the worst of the mafia fakeclaims, easily, and that was to "assist" in mafia losing that role if they wanted to go that way. Jenny enabling Regeneration isn't crazy, in my mind, since she is a clone of the Doctor.

Also, Romana as the other mafia fakeclaim was meant to pair with K9 (universal backup) as they are both from the 4th Doctor era to help that claim out.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: January 12, 2014, 07:36:46 pm »

Chairs claimed his Susan Foreman flavor and nobody reacted.  :( (she had psychic abilities on the show btw)

Sorry I have only watched Matt Smith Doctor episodes......

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: January 12, 2014, 07:40:03 pm »

I'm really bummed at how the game ended.  I think town played extremely well, and there was very little luck about it.  A lot of towns would have lynched Walrus, for example, given how many things pointed to his being scum.  I was content at the end to POE it out.  I think town really earned this win.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 12, 2014, 07:41:14 pm »

Yeah I'm a big NuWho fan but Old Who is... old, and a lot of episodes, so I was lost there.

Rose Tyler is an insanely good fakeclaim, and Jenny is indeed very weak. Romana isn't great either because everyone hates her, right ?

Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: January 12, 2014, 07:42:23 pm »

Seeing it all laid out, I think the fakeclaims were well-distributed. I haven't watched that much of the show. I'm just like a sponge nerd. I wiki and wiki and learn things from friends.

I think it's nice that you saved most of the Torchwood/Sarah Jane characters for the sequel!
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 12, 2014, 07:44:07 pm »

Yeah I'm a big NuWho fan but Old Who is... old, and a lot of episodes, so I was lost there.

Rose Tyler is an insanely good fakeclaim, and Jenny is indeed very weak. Romana isn't great either because everyone hates her, right ?

I'm not sure if you're thinking of Romana? She's the 4th Doctor's companion for awhile and while he's certainly annoyed with her at first (she's assigned to him by the Time Lords to keep an eye on him), they become friends. As far as I'm aware, she doesn't have a reputation of being hated at all.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 12, 2014, 07:45:25 pm »

Why is Rory hated Voltaire ? Careful with your response there, I might have to policy vote you in every game if you answer the wrong thing.

PPE : I thought she was hated by fans, but I might be confusing her with someone else.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 12, 2014, 07:47:08 pm »

Why is Rory hated Voltaire ? Careful with your response there, I might have to policy vote you in every game if you answer the wrong thing.

PPE : I thought she was hated by fans, but I might be confusing her with someone else.

Rory is hated because he always dies (in the show). I thought it was funny. He is actually one of my favorite companions, though!

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: January 12, 2014, 07:49:09 pm »

Good. Good. I thought he would have a one-shot bulletproof to reflect that, but obviously with all the regeneration going on that also makes sense.

He's the best thing about the Moffat era to me. That and the much better production values.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 12, 2014, 07:50:44 pm »

yeah that was neat.

Another point in favor of it actually not being too slanted for town was the confusion of night actions.  I mean, I could totally see a Walrus lynch happening (had all the scum not already been caught).  My N1 investigation with no result is definitely pretty tough to recover from (again, if the scum weren't already lynched), especially after the whole joth/e/faust/jimmm circle makes me look pretty towny.

My biggest regret this game was that scum didn't get to use their Busdriver to confuse the hell out of town and mislynch everyone.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:25 pm »

Voltaire, you indicated you had some analysis on my fakeclaim you were reserving for after the game.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 12, 2014, 08:46:03 pm »

yeah that was neat.

My biggest regret this game was that scum didn't get to use their Busdriver to confuse the hell out of town and mislynch everyone.

That is something we all like in theory, but in practice hardly ever works out.  Archetype would have had to have chosen the investigative role's target and swapped it with scum for that to work out.  But the best play for a scum busdriver is almost always to bus drive with the intention of clearing your partners, not with framing town.

So in the end, I think Arch would have busdriven me and EFHW, trying to get an innocent result on me.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 12, 2014, 08:48:40 pm »

Sad that it had to end that, but as long as everyone is happy with one another it's alright. Great game Voltaire! Loved the Time-Traveling idea and the AWESOME flavor. Great job to xeiron for solving the setup. I agree that the game was a bit townsided. What it really needed was more negative utilities for the Town, no easy confirmables [The JOAT obviously matched that there was no way they could be scum, not have ashersky enable PPS [Though his Bulletproof wasn't THAT needed, but super thematic]. PPS's fakeclaim was amazing, but it's too bad EFHW was already protected. She did really well as an IC by keeping quiet at opportune times. Overall, really fun game with a really cool mechanic. Thanks for running it Voltaire!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.