Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Do we know when exactly it's going up?  (Read 114902 times)

syzygy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Do we know when exactly it's going up?
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2012, 10:42:17 am »
+3

hmm, by the comments and first look isotropic is a lot of times more advanced and executed better than goko now :? Didnt they tryed to ask/hire Dougz for help, because now it looks childish with all these bugs/not finished things popping out :?

Goko's struggle does make DougZ's work seem all the more amazing.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2012, 10:45:11 am »
+10

Hai Guize! I found this great place to play Dominion Online and it WORKS!:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/play

..... :'(
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2012, 10:45:44 am »

Im pretty sure the first acheivement badge should be getting the thing to load...  second one appears to be properly entering the capture text.

I wish I hadn't gotten that second achievement. I already feel pretty stupid giving them my main email address, given that they have zero security in place.

The beta seemed pretty solid, and I misplaced my trust.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2012, 10:50:27 am »

Galzria, that is just a site called Isotropic.  It is a free implementation of Dominion, and is due to be taken down within the next week.

.... :'(

;) :P

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:12 am »
+5

Galzria, that is just a site called Isotropic.  It is a free implementation of Dominion, and is due to be taken down within the next week.

Whoooot? Isotropic is going down???!!!111!??

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2012, 10:56:54 am »
+11

I didn't know how bad the security was so I didn't claim this publicly earlier, but I'll do so now that it seems like a general concern.  When I was invited to beta, my password was a former title of mine ("Assistant Research Technician"), I held earlier.  It was pretty specific, so I was pretty shocked to see it as my password.  Also, it didn't work.  I finally had them invite me through a different e-mail account and it worked.

Still, how did they get that title, as it didn't seem to be a coincidence?  I thought maybe they were scraping information based on our e-mail addresses from the internet.  I was told they didn't, then once they figured it out, they said they actually did do this using some third party software (for marketing research, demographic targeting, or what have you).  Still, that's pretty ridiculous and insecure.  And they must have written their code pretty badly if their scraper replaced a numerical password I was supposed to receive with an incorrect multi-word password based on my identity.  I'm not a huge privacy nut, but this is ridiculous, and if this had happened to someone else, I can understand if they would be furious.  I was hoping it was an issue on my end with my e-mail client (gmail, so not likely), replacing something in the html code of the e-mail.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2012, 10:59:03 am »
+1

I didn't know how bad the security was so I didn't claim this publicly earlier, but I'll do so now that it seems like a general concern.  When I was invited to beta, my password was a former title of mine ("Assistant Research Technician"), I held earlier.  It was pretty specific, so I was pretty shocked to see it as my password.  Also, it didn't work.  I finally had them invite me through a different e-mail account and it worked.

Still, how did they get that title, as it didn't seem to be a coincidence?  I thought maybe they were scraping information based on our e-mail addresses from the internet.  I was told they didn't, then once they figured it out, they said they actually did do this using some third party software (for marketing research, demographic targeting, or what have you).  Still, that's pretty ridiculous and insecure.  And they must have written their code pretty badly if their scraper replaced a numerical password I was supposed to receive with an incorrect multi-word password based on my identity.  I'm not a huge privacy nut, but this is ridiculous, and if this had happened to someone else, I can understand if they would be furious.  I was hoping it was an issue on my end with my e-mail client (gmail, so not likely), replacing something in the html code of the e-mail.

Classy.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2012, 11:17:19 am »
+2

Wow.

I can say one thing for sure, I've changed my Google password, as I initially tried to log in using my Google account and it made me create a new account with them anyway. It was strange, but I know I typed in my Google password there. Yikes.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2012, 11:17:39 am »
+1

I see a bunch of folks writing that the pricing is not huge issue for them but I have to say that if the reports on this thread are accurate it is a pretty big issue for me.... the prices people are talking puts it in the same sort of league as a big budget new release 3D FPS from a major studio (with all the development costs that go along with one of those).

Even if we were talking a top flight implementation I'd still think $70-80 is about double a reasonable price and it seems pretty clear we're not talking a top flight implementation....

As to encouraging new more casual gamers to the game there is no way pricing like that is going to do the trick.

And that is without even starting to think about this security type stuff....

Looks like I may have to look for my next post dominion addiction.  :(  :( :(  :(  :(
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:19:03 am by cactus »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2012, 11:19:51 am »
+2

I see a bunch of folks writing that the pricing is not huge issue for them but I have to say that if the reports on this thread are accurate it is a pretty big issue for me.... the prices people are talking puts it in the same sort of league as a big budget new release 3D FPS from a major studio (with all the development costs that go along with one of those).

Even if we were talking a top flight implementation I'd still think $70-80 is about double a reasonable price and it seems pretty clear we're not talking a top flight implementation....

As to encouraging new more casual gamers to the game there is no way pricing like that is going to do the trick.

Looks like I may have to look for my next post dominion addiction.  :(  :( :(  :(  :(

See thats the thing.  From the perspective of the casual gamer - 80 bucks is retardedly high in comparison to the quality of content you can get for the same amount (you can probably buy mass effect 1,2 and 3)

From the perspective of me, $80 for a game that I have played 5000+ times is trivial - the $/hour are almost nothing. 
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +451
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2012, 11:20:47 am »
+2

It's more than I was WANTING to pay, but not necessarily more than I'm WILLING to pay...if it works at some point.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

syzygy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2012, 11:20:59 am »

I doubt that casuals will be spending much money at all on the site.  Realistically, most casual players will either just play a few games against the bots with the base set or will mooch off others' cards.  I have a hard time believing that casuals will end up buying a half-set at a time to play single-player.

zazas

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2012, 11:24:08 am »

If prices will really be too big for majority, they probably has to change them, because whats the purpose of putting resources in the game you dont get any money back.

For me, as i have 3 dominion sets at home of real cards, i dont really want to pay again for them just to get digital form :?

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2012, 11:27:16 am »
+1

For someone who has paid for all of the physical sets (DA is on the way), it seems like pricing would be an issue for me as well. Although paying for all of the expansions has been worth it, I might just stick to playing IRL if I have to drop another $60-$80 for an online app of a game I already own.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:28:44 am by pauley_walnuts »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2012, 11:29:17 am »
+1

Let me be clear: I wasn't trying to say that the pricing isn't an issue. I was just trying to say that it's an obvious, evident one. And there are other, less obvious ones which are shocking and appalling.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2012, 11:31:56 am »

Magic Online was also pretty disastrous at first and people were complaining about bugs and having to pay hard cash for virtual cards. Goko seems to experience an even rougher start, but since Dominion is in the same league as Magic (to me at least) it should eventually be a success.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2012, 11:32:59 am »

but since Dominion is in the same league as Magic (to me at least) it should eventually be a success.

you forgot your sarcasm tag.
This user is banned.

zazas

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2012, 11:34:40 am »

Magic Online was also pretty disastrous at first and people were complaining about bugs and having to pay hard cash for virtual cards. Goko seems to experience an even rougher start, but since Dominion is in the same league as Magic (to me at least) it should eventually be a success.

I think (don't have numbers) they're in completely different leagues, based on how many players are playing MTG and Dominion

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2012, 11:35:25 am »

I think (don't have numbers) they're in completely different leagues, based on how many players are playing MTG and Dominion
Chess is the greatest game of all?

polonkus

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2012, 11:36:06 am »
+1

Yes but how will you monetize it with micropayments?
Maybe for $0.1 you can make your pawn into a bishop for one turn.
This user is banned.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2012, 11:38:00 am »
+9

The thing about the security, it's not like I don't think they can fix these thins. It's that they didn't know they NEEDED to think about them until someone told them. I'm going to guess that there are people at least as smart as those users who pointed these things out who are going to be able to do things, and you just cannot rely on your users to tell you what security needs you have.
That, and the response to the javascript thing was basically 'thanks, it's only an issue in place X, we understand and will fix it this afternoon, please keep enjoying the service now'. Which tells me that they DON'T understand how much of an issue this is.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2012, 11:38:30 am »

The concept is amazing, but to me a great game has some sort of randomness.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2012, 11:38:50 am »
+1

There are a number of financially successful chess sites, based on, largely, educational content, event coverage, etc.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2012, 11:39:59 am »

The concept is amazing, but to me a great game has some sort of randomness.
I'm not actually trying to argue that it's the best game ever (though hey, it's great). I'm saying that if you're going based on number of people who play, then chess far out-does the named games, etc. etc., and that THAT is not a great metric.

polonkus

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2012, 11:40:41 am »
+1

There are a number of financially successful chess sites, based on, largely, educational content, event coverage, etc.

Wow, making money while respecting the game, what an (apparently) novel idea.
This user is banned.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.