Dominion > Puzzles and Challenges

Hunt for it, it's mine!

<< < (2/3) > >>

DG:

--- Quote ---What does 'optimally' mean?
--- End quote ---

Most likely to win a game.

Captain_Frisk:

--- Quote from: rinkworks on July 29, 2011, 02:12:52 pm ---Shouldn't you upgrade Copper to Silver in preference to Silver to Gold?  This increases the likelihood that you'll have a Mineable treasure with your Mine.  But maybe in a Hunting Party deck, the chances of a problem of this sort are small.  If you have few Golds, you'll probably have at least one Copper or Silver in your hand.  If you have many Golds and only a few Coppers and Silvers, the Hunting Parties will find them.  Still.

--- End quote ---

This topic has been covered a few times, and I'm not sure if anyone has ever proved it, but in general, I'm in favor "highest treasure first", because i believe that 3 Golds and 4 Coppers is better than 6 Silvers and 1 copper.  (For one of these, its possible to purchase a province with only 3 treasures, the other requires at least 4.  There are side benefits as well - like if someone is forcing you to discard, or if you want to trash cards.  For sure in a platinum game you want to go highest treasure up.

It's very rare that you get yourself into a situation in which you are:
a. playing with mine
b. stuck into a situation where you have a hand full of gold and a mine
c. are legitimately angry about having a HAND FULL OF GOLD

when it does happen, you might curse your bad luck, but

shark_bait:

--- Quote from: Captain_Frisk on July 29, 2011, 02:55:21 pm ---
c. are legitimately angry about having a HAND FULL OF GOLD

when it does happen, you might curse your bad luck, but

--- End quote ---

I'll gladly trash one of em for a platinum.  :)

Geronimoo:
It's quite easy to simulate (just modify the "_Single Mine" strategy buy adding a buy rule for Hunting Party between Silver and Mine). My current implementation of Mine will always trash the best treasure (especially important in Colony games to ensure we will get Platinums!). For this question I changed up Mine's play rules to see what is better:

Mine/Hunting Party 43- BM Envoy 48 -> Mine Coppers first
Mine/Hunting Party 42- BM Envoy 50 -> Mine Silvers first

So it appears Mining Coppers before Silvers is slightly better.

Davio:
Maybe there is a turning point after which mining Silvers is better, but before which mining Coppers is better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version