Dominion > Puzzles and Challenges

Hunt for it, it's mine!

(1/3) > >>

DG:
I don't know if this is genuinely interesting or not, and I don't know a specific solution, but it might provoke some thought. It's also far less cryptic than many of the puzzles posted.

Consider a province game where you're opening 5/2. None of the 10 kingdom cards can affect another players deck or hand, and you're only going to consider buying two types of kingdom cards, hunting parties and mines. How do you change your play to get optimal results from this deck?

Blooki:
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking. Are we allowed to know any other kingdom cards? What does 'optimally' mean?

Captain_Frisk:
I'm assuming the puzzle is something along the lines of "what is the optimal buying / upgrading strategy" for a 5/2 opening - only using hunting parties and mines.

Ie. - what do you open with, what is the optimal mix of hunting parties and mines, when should you buy treasure, and when you play a mine - in what order do you upgrade your cards?  The disclaimer on the other 10 kingdom cards is to rule out junk like Militia / Goons / Masq / Ambassador / Mountebank that would otherwise mess with an optimal solitaire strategy .

I would probably start with this:

Play:
#1 - Play all hunting parties
#2 - Play Mine
- 2a. upgrade silver to gold (if possible)
- 2b. upgrade copper to silver

8: Buy province if #gold > 1 [PPR logic removed for sake of brevity]
5: Buy duchy if [#provinces remaining < N] (where N is some number near 5 or 6, and might vary if you are P1 or P2)
2: Buy estate (if # provinces remaining < M) - most likely M=2
5+ Buy Hunting Party if # mines > 0
5+ Buy Mine if #mines = 0
3+ buy silver

I'm looking forward to whoever decides to simulate this... it may be possible that the presence of Hunting Party chains should cause you to buy fewer duchies (so as to not clog your hunting party chains), or change your upgrade logic such that you always have at least 1 silver in your deck. 

However, i'm just going with my gut feel that despite the theme of cornucopia, a hunting party deck is most effective when your deck consists of as little variety as possible.  Ideally - VPs, hunting parties, and 1 killer action. 

timchen:
I think with the constraint this is more or less it. I would probably not going to buy more than 2 silvers, but the difference should be minimal with hunting parties, and without +buys.

The interesting question may be that at some point midway whether you should mine a copper or silver. I dunno, if you have a mix of all of them, it probably does not matter that much either. If you don't, probably you should maintain 1 silver and 1 copper so you can always draw it. That's probably it.

rinkworks:
Shouldn't you upgrade Copper to Silver in preference to Silver to Gold?  This increases the likelihood that you'll have a Mineable treasure with your Mine.  But maybe in a Hunting Party deck, the chances of a problem of this sort are small.  If you have few Golds, you'll probably have at least one Copper or Silver in your hand.  If you have many Golds and only a few Coppers and Silvers, the Hunting Parties will find them.  Still.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version