Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 120  All

Author Topic: M50: A Song Of Ice And Fire Mafia - Town Wins!  (Read 338477 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
Re: M50: A Song Of Ice And Fire Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #925 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:55 am »

I mean, maybe I should say something like "my top priority is to hunt down scum," but well that's not true. I've said it before, the most important thing in mafia is not to be lynched, that goes for scum and town.

Think about it, I'm a fairly new player. It would be arrogant and probably foolish for myself to place too much trust into my reads. Yea, I might detect something useful, but I might also misread a town for scum (as it has happened before). But if you  lynch me, that's just awful, a mislynch on a town usually results in two dead towns. so, even if you find it scummy, I think the fact that surviving is more important for me than scumhunting is pretty clearly true.

This seems off to me.  You strike me as someone who is going to be pretty confident, despite your newness.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: September 16, 2014, 09:39:31 am »

I went ahead and sent in my move order, fyi.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: September 16, 2014, 09:42:32 am »

And Voltaire, you have said that you have townreads on all 3 people on the wagon (me, XP, Azadin), so Hydrad should be null, right?

Was that really the extent of the wagon? Thank you, that's the first of what I am sure are many mistakes in my reads reasoning.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: September 16, 2014, 09:45:34 am »

Look, I am on vacation with my family with a baby for the first time. That's no excuse but it does explain the difference in my usual play where I am pretty much present all day long.

My perception of how this went is that I pointed out Voltaire seemed the scummiest early game.  Voltaire eventually voted me for it. I was just about to solidify my case with a vote on him when I saw this. I decided that me flipping town showed him to be the scum he is so I joined his wagon on me and then so did teproc. Form that point on I kept seeing everyone favorably lean towards my lynch because no other obvious lynch has surfaced. Pretty sure teproc is town. Realize self voting is generally bad town punishable by lynch and leads to a worthless wagon. Believe in LALL.

Vote: egork

I still think Voltaire is possibly scum but a lot of his play yesterday does look quite towny.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:30 am »

My personal opinion is that the extra setup mechanics of this game makes it easy for everyone to seem sensible, townie, and helpful, and there's a decent chance that scum is eliminated from the pool on that alone.  Or that you're scum :)

See I was hoping I wasn't given town points for theory stuff but apparently it creeped in there. No need to worry about me being scum, btw.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:57 am »

*giving

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 16, 2014, 09:47:48 am »

Look, I am on vacation with my family with a baby for the first time. That's no excuse but it does explain the difference in my usual play where I am pretty much present all day long.

My perception of how this went is that I pointed out Voltaire seemed the scummiest early game.  Voltaire eventually voted me for it. I was just about to solidify my case with a vote on him when I saw this. I decided that me flipping town showed him to be the scum he is so I joined his wagon on me and then so did teproc. Form that point on I kept seeing everyone favorably lean towards my lynch because no other obvious lynch has surfaced. Pretty sure teproc is town. Realize self voting is generally bad town punishable by lynch and leads to a worthless wagon. Believe in LALL.

I still think Voltaire is possibly scum but a lot of his play yesterday does look quite towny.

Who does your baby think is scum?  Children are quite intuitive.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 16, 2014, 09:48:43 am »

I don't really see the Voltaire scumminess early, except perhaps some buddying.  What did you find so scummy?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 16, 2014, 09:49:31 am »

NO one should be given town points just for helping with theory. You can get reads off of the way people have participated in the theory conversation, but just being helpful does not mean being townie, it's very easy for scum to blend in theory talk, which is why I'm usually against it.

The problem with lynching EgorK is that it's a lynch that's impossible to analyze later if he flips town. No one will be held accountable for their votes because it's hard to argue with "random lurker lynch".
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 16, 2014, 09:54:12 am »

NO one should be given town points just for helping with theory. You can get reads off of the way people have participated in the theory conversation, but just being helpful does not mean being townie, it's very easy for scum to blend in theory talk, which is why I'm usually against it.

The problem with lynching EgorK is that it's a lynch that's impossible to analyze later if he flips town. No one will be held accountable for their votes because it's hard to argue with "random lurker lynch".

EgorK is pretty consistent at not being active.  I'd agree that he's not a great lynch.  On the other hand, sometimes "start participating or we'll lynch you" is good motivation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 16, 2014, 09:54:33 am »

The argument against LALL holds true all game as does the reality that having such a lurker all game leaves this nagging question in everyone's minds. In my experience LALL nails scum half the time so it is a worthwhile tactic. Regardless of flip we get a better long term game.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 16, 2014, 09:56:23 am »

I don't really see the Voltaire scumminess early, except perhaps some buddying.  What did you find so scummy?

Voltaire, until yesterday, was almost strictly opportunistically seeking where a wagon could be found without having to make a case he would have to answer for later. My self vote was intended to force him to have to answer later. I am less sure today that he is the bad guy, though.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 16, 2014, 09:58:44 am »

Okay, I see what you're saying.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 16, 2014, 10:05:57 am »

This seems off to me.  You strike me as someone who is going to be pretty confident, despite your newness.
i can't reference other games but, if I could, I would do it now. ~]

I'm confident in a lot of things, but atm I don't think I'm so good at reading people.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 16, 2014, 10:24:28 am »

i can't reference other games but, if I could, I would do it now. ~]

I'm confident in a lot of things, but atm I don't think I'm so good at reading people.

Well, if you never build cases on people, and if you never vote, we are going to have a hard time checking whether you are town or not. Flips and wagons are the strongest indicators of alignment, right?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 16, 2014, 11:07:55 am »

Well, if you never build cases on people, and if you never vote, we are going to have a hard time checking whether you are town or not. Flips and wagons are the strongest indicators of alignment, right?
where is this post coming from? I never said i'm not going to make cases on people. In fact, I already made a reread on someone and posted my opinion, but I turned out to have a town read on him as a result, and I plan to make more rereads on other people. my approach is, pick a target more or less random, reread him, if he is scummy, make a case.

To clarify this completely: I said that
-> I am not overly confident in my reads
-> It is more important for me not to be mislynched than to push cases

and that's all. I never said making cases is not important or that I'm not going to do it, all I said is that it's not quite as important as being honest and having a transparent image. this is a fact of minor importance that is only relevant in very few cases, and it doesn't even deserve or require much discussion, but for some reason you keep bringing it up.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:50 am »

The argument against LALL holds true all game as does the reality that having such a lurker all game leaves this nagging question in everyone's minds. In my experience LALL nails scum half the time so it is a worthwhile tactic. Regardless of flip we get a better long term game.

True fact.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 16, 2014, 11:11:41 am »

True fact.

yea, totally.

... what does lall mean?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 16, 2014, 11:13:04 am »

Lynch All Lurkers, Literally
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 16, 2014, 11:14:53 am »

request prod on EgorK

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: September 16, 2014, 11:27:06 am »

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: September 16, 2014, 11:46:26 am »

Checking in. Still catching up, you are to fast for me :)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 16, 2014, 12:07:05 pm »

Checking in. Still catching up, you are to fast for me :)

Just skim, it's A LOT of setup talk.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 16, 2014, 12:08:36 pm »

I thought it was lynch all lurkers and liars.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 16, 2014, 12:16:48 pm »

I thought it was lynch all lurkers and liars.

LAL can also be Lynch All Liars.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 120  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 16 queries.