Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 120  All

Author Topic: M50: A Song Of Ice And Fire Mafia - Town Wins!  (Read 335567 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
Re: M50: A Song Of Ice And Fire Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #900 on: September 15, 2014, 10:32:11 pm »

Why should I move if we are lynching me? I mean I can move but lynching me saves me the trouble, right?

Is it any trouble?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 15, 2014, 10:36:56 pm »

I was never clear on what I do. Do I send Faust a pm? Can I do it from my house qt. I kind of figured no one likes playing with a frothing at the mouth PPS anyhow and my lynch will be useful and seemed to be getting steam so I was getting lynched and divested myself of trying to commit much more of my time to the game. I'll be happy to move if someone describes how to perform it.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 15, 2014, 10:45:34 pm »

I was never clear on what I do. Do I send Faust a pm? Can I do it from my house qt. I kind of figured no one likes playing with a frothing at the mouth PPS anyhow and my lynch will be useful and seemed to be getting steam so I was getting lynched and divested myself of trying to commit much more of my time to the game. I'll be happy to move if someone describes how to perform it.
I asked faust and you can send him a PM or post in the mafia qt. (near-exact quote from in-thread).

For the record, I'm not all that sold on your lynch, and I don't find your play any more "frothing" or distasteful than anyone else's. I'd rather lynch XP or Egork atm.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 15, 2014, 10:46:06 pm »

I sent Faust a pm requesting to be sent to house baratheon. Hopefully that works because I have to get some sleep now.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 16, 2014, 12:30:19 am »

This is describing a plausible alternate universe that nonetheless never happened, and I find you scummy for it.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 16, 2014, 12:30:47 am »

I sent Faust a pm requesting to be sent to house baratheon. Hopefully that works because I have to get some sleep now.

Thank you, that's all you had to do. If you're town, and we don't lynch you, this is excellent news.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 16, 2014, 12:47:46 am »

silverspawn - town style
pacovf - the sense
ashersky - the nonsense
Hydrad - wagon too easy
Witherweaver - IC*ish
Teproc - the sense
XerxesPraelor - town reply to pressure (?)
EgorK - lurking too much
Robz888 - eh? Maybe actually more of a null.
Ichimaru Gin
pingpongsam
azadin - town approach
Voltaire - me

A sanity check reveals my lynch pool has turned into this. Fun fact, I've made a mistake somewhere. Unless the team is PPS/IG/Robz.  ::)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 16, 2014, 01:22:59 am »

Wow. That is a pretty insane D1 pool!

Bah. It's pretty late and I should go to bed. But one more post, since I got a lot of homework done and have a few minutes.

Some light reads on everyone

silverspawn: I liked that he didn't jump on the Hydrad wagon, so slight town points for that.

pacovf: Mmm. Hard to tell. Definitely been active, defending himself against a lot of strong accusation from Ash.

ashersky: daaaamn. I can never read Ash that well. I feel more town here, but I can't recall scum!ash although I'm sure I played with him.

Hydrad: I actually feel pretty townie on Hydrad. I feel like he's gotten some flack for some inconsequential stuff. I don't know, I like his participation and I don't really see the accusations about low content--I mean there will always be some empty posts from everyone.

Witherweaver: Hmm. I was his scumbud in the last game I recall with him. I really have no idea here though. I don't think he's an IC though. (So I guess I agree with ash there).

Teproc: nullish. I feel like he's been good at trying to keep things on track.

XerxesPraelor: I find his Hydrad vote very opportunnistic and mentally flagged the post at the time, planning to respond to it later.

EgorK
: What 2 posts? Null.

Robz888
: Really hard to read Robz.

Ichimaru Gin: obv town. Michigan is back!!

pingpongsam: Seems resigned to being lynched with few votes on him. Kind of scummy in that regard.

azadin: Nullish. Seems like he's paying attention, so slight town.

Voltaire: I felt very bad about scum!Voltaire in Dice Mafia. I don't really get that feeling here. Not sure if that's the best logic, but it's what I got.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 16, 2014, 01:32:50 am »

And a horrible thought just occurred to me. What if scum has some PR that targets people who are changing houses--like a highwaymen or something?

I don't know, just with all these people moving and general agreement with it, I wonder if there isn't a higher price for it.

Anyway, going to bed now. Be back in my AM. ~10 hours

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 16, 2014, 03:36:44 am »

@Mod: How do House powers work? Do we send our action by PM or by posting them on the QT?

House powers are controlled by PM.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 16, 2014, 03:46:51 am »

What happens if two Houses are tied for largest? Who gets Hand of the King? Who makes the King?

The House of the previous king remains in power until another House gets more members. Should two new Houses be tied, the House that has the more loyal members (i.e. the average time a player has been in the House is the longest) will make the king. Should there be a tie in this as well, the king is decided randomly.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 16, 2014, 03:53:30 am »

Vote Count 1.5

pacovf (2): ashersky, Robz888
EgorK (2): silverspawn, XerxesPraelor
Hydrad (2): pacovf, azadin
pingpongsam (4): Teproc, pingpongsam, Voltaire, Witherweaver
XerxesPraelor (1): Hydrad

Not Voting (2): EgorK, Ichimaru Gin

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch. Day 1 ends on September 19 at noon.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 16, 2014, 05:39:45 am »

Why specifically EgorK?

PPS would be fine too.

This is where it's at.
Again, why?

I've already laid out why. What didn't you like about my case?

Mmm, can you restate your case anyway? Yesterday went very very fast (17 pages!?), it's normal for stuff to get lost in the confusion.

my lynch will be useful

How is your lynch useful?

and seemed to be getting steam so I was getting lynched

When did your case get steam? You self-voted with a single vote on yourself (Teproc) and very mild hostility from Voltaire ("I can lynch PPS, I think maybe", or something like that). Now XP says that he can maybe vote for yourself instead of EgorK because of lurking, while recognizing he is not the best person to do that kind of accusations.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 16, 2014, 06:07:55 am »

Not sure about all these people giving town points to silverspawn. I do like his general approach to the game and some of them give a town vibe, but the "my top priority is to appear towny" and the way he approached/pushed EgorK don't sit too well for me. He's quite null in my opinion.

Also, meh. When rereading silverspawn I noticed that Ash had breadcrumbed pretty early that he had a PR. Don't know what to think of that, but I don't want to lynch him today anymore.

On Hydrad and XP: I agree that the case on Hydrad is not the best evah, but this is D1 afterall. His case on XP is actually better, but unfortunately I had, and still have after his latest posts, a townread on XP.

And someone explain to me this sort of reasoning:

silverspawn: I liked that he didn't jump on the Hydrad wagon, so slight town points for that.

Hydrad - wagon too easy

The first only works if Hydrad is truly town, and even then you cannot expect all scum to jump on a wagon, especially when it stalls.
The second is completely null. If the wagon is easy, you don't vote for Hydrad, but you don't give him town points either. Giving him town points because an easy wagon springs on him only works if it is scum pushing the wagon. And Voltaire, you have said that you have townreads on all 3 people on the wagon (me, XP, Azadin), so Hydrad should be null, right?

I might be busy these next few days, don't know yet. However, I'll be away from Sunday to Wednesday (that might include most of N1), and might not be able to log in here at all then. Just as a warning.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 16, 2014, 07:03:17 am »

and seemed to be getting steam so I was getting lynched

When did your case get steam? You self-voted with a single vote on yourself (Teproc) and very mild hostility from Voltaire ("I can lynch PPS, I think maybe", or something like that). Now XP says that he can maybe vote for yourself instead of EgorK because of lurking, while recognizing he is not the best person to do that kind of accusations.

Didn't notice that WW had moved his vote before that comment of yours, but still.

And on the subject of WW: he's not a real IC, of course, but I think it would be irresponsible to put him in the lynchpool today. I am definitely not lynching him before, say, D4 or something, unless really weird stuff starts happening.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:12 am »

Not sure about all these people giving town points to silverspawn. I do like his general approach to the game and some of them give a town vibe, but the "my top priority is to appear towny" and the way he approached/pushed EgorK don't sit too well for me. He's quite null in my opinion.

if every town manages to be towny enough not to be lynched, we win by the end of day 3.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 16, 2014, 08:48:09 am »

if every town manages to be towny enough not to be lynched, we win by the end of day 3.

If every town and every scum manages to be towny enough to not be lynched, we will lose by the end of day whatever.

Why are you assuming that there's only 3 scum, silver? This is the second time you do so.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 16, 2014, 08:49:07 am »

I mean, maybe I should say something like "my top priority is to hunt down scum," but well that's not true. I've said it before, the most important thing in mafia is not to be lynched, that goes for scum and town.

Think about it, I'm a fairly new player. It would be arrogant and probably foolish for myself to place too much trust into my reads. Yea, I might detect something useful, but I might also misread a town for scum (as it has happened before). But if you  lynch me, that's just awful, a mislynch on a town usually results in two dead towns. so, even if you find it scummy, I think the fact that surviving is more important for me than scumhunting is pretty clearly true.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:34 am »

But it isn't. As long as at least one scum survives, scum wins. This isn't true for town. Your top priority should be to find scum, and your second priority should be to look towny.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 16, 2014, 08:54:18 am »

Why are you assuming that there's only 3 scum, silver? This is the second time you do so

4 scum means a 9/4 ratio, that seems pretty impossible. 2 scums mean a 11/2 ratio, that seems almost as impossible. 3 scum means 10/3, that seems reasonable. it's not impossible that there are 2 factions, but several people have already said that it's unlikely

although being self aware has brought me trouble before, i'll say that I thought about whether or not I should write "assuming 3 scum" both times, because people might think it's suspicious if I just assume. Last time I think I did it. This time, I didn't.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 16, 2014, 08:57:32 am »

But it isn't. As long as at least one scum survives, scum wins. This isn't true for town. Your top priority should be to find scum, and your second priority should be to look towny.

we probably won't agree here. But man, that's a purely theoretical discussion with almost no relevance for the game. I'm trying to do both. But if there is a situation like with EgorK, where I have the choice to be honest or to make something up and maybe have a 1/20 chance more to make him post something, I'll rather be honest.

On a sidenote, I don't see why saying this makes me likely to be scum at all. Wouldn't scum!me be more careful to say these things than town!me?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 16, 2014, 09:00:46 am »

If every town and every scum manages to be towny enough to not be lynched, we will lose by the end of day whatever.

hence this post

the thing about mafia is, although scum and town play is different, the most important (?) goal of both is the same: look towny. you absolutely want to look towny as town, and you absolutely want to look towny as scum. if we think ash is town now, it is, in a way, good play from him, and the fact that I have a strong townread on Teproc aswell is also good. Whether or not what he is saying makes sense might be debatable, but, unless one of them is actually scum, what he did was beneficial for town.

the fact that scum has to try this too doesn't make it any less true, really. well, for scum there are probably situations where they have to be dishonest, because otherwise they can never be vote for someone. but on the hole, being towny is just extremely important for any faction.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 16, 2014, 09:05:48 am »

Just for the record, I agree with silverspawn. The first job of a townie is to not be mislynched.

This whole conversation is actually giving me a strong town read on silverspawn, so that's someting.

@PPS : Stop with the AtE already. It's annoying, and just makes playing the game less fun for everyone.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 16, 2014, 09:06:35 am »

Why are you assuming that there's only 3 scum, silver? This is the second time you do so

4 scum means a 9/4 ratio, that seems pretty impossible. 2 scums mean a 11/2 ratio, that seems almost as impossible. 3 scum means 10/3, that seems reasonable. it's not impossible that there are 2 factions, but several people have already said that it's unlikely

although being self aware has brought me trouble before, i'll say that I thought about whether or not I should write "assuming 3 scum" both times, because people might think it's suspicious if I just assume. Last time I think I did it. This time, I didn't.

Well, 4 scum might be quite a skewed ratio, but we don't know if the setup is otherwise pro-town or anti-town, so it's definitely not impossible. The house system gives information to town, for example.

Agree that 2 scum seems quite improbable.

we probably won't agree here. But man, that's a purely theoretical discussion with almost no relevance for the game. I'm trying to do both. But if there is a situation like with EgorK, where I have the choice to be honest or to make something up and maybe have a 1/20 chance more to make him post something, I'll rather be honest.

On a sidenote, I don't see why saying this makes me likely to be scum at all. Wouldn't scum!me be more careful to say these things than town!me?

The things I take issue with were said when pushed by Teproc, and you yourself have said that you try to be spontaneous, in this game and in others. I think you would try to emulate that as scum.

It's definitely relevant that your professed strategy implies avoiding the lynch as much as possible. It is a possible approach to the game as town, so I don't think much of it, but still, it worries me.

PPE: it is important for both factions, but not in the same way. Just appearing towny is not enough for town, while it is enough for day-play for scum.

PPE 1

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 16, 2014, 09:31:13 am »

silverspawn - town style
pacovf - the sense
ashersky - the nonsense
Hydrad - wagon too easy
Witherweaver - IC*ish
Teproc - the sense
XerxesPraelor - town reply to pressure (?)
EgorK - lurking too much
Robz888 - eh? Maybe actually more of a null.
Ichimaru Gin
pingpongsam
azadin - town approach
Voltaire - me

A sanity check reveals my lynch pool has turned into this. Fun fact, I've made a mistake somewhere. Unless the team is PPS/IG/Robz.  ::)

My personal opinion is that the extra setup mechanics of this game makes it easy for everyone to seem sensible, townie, and helpful, and there's a decent chance that scum is eliminated from the pool on that alone.  Or that you're scum :)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 120  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.