Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Author Topic: What is the main problem with Playdominion now? (v2.0.43)  (Read 65727 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1690
    • View Profile
Re: What is the main problem with Playdominion now? (v2.0.43)
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2015, 05:23:20 pm »
+1

I don't know how people can expect the automatch to be any good at this point. They took ratings from Goko from several months ago and allowed them to decay while people weren't playing the new version yet, and much less games have been played on the new version obviously because it hasn't been around for very long. Maybe you could request that they revert back to the ratings which were first taken from Goko before they started to decay?  Still, after that the automatch isn't going to be that good for awhile because there are a lot of people on the new version who haven't played many games on it yet. I imagine those who hadn't paid for cards on the old version wouldn't have much motivation to keep the same username and get their rating transferred to the new version.

In any case being able to have fun playing with those of another skill level is in itself a useful skill.
I really think keeping their program from overheating people's computers is a more important problem for them to fix. Then again, my computer is rather vulnerable to overheating, so while I'm afraid to play dominion on it right now, I know it isn't a problem for everyone.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1858
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2015, 06:41:24 pm »

I don't know how people can expect the automatch to be any good at this point. They took ratings from Goko from several months ago and allowed them to decay while people weren't playing the new version yet, and much less games have been played on the new version obviously because it hasn't been around for very long. Maybe you could request that they revert back to the ratings which were first taken from Goko before they started to decay?  Still, after that the automatch isn't going to be that good for awhile because there are a lot of people on the new version who haven't played many games on it yet. I imagine those who hadn't paid for cards on the old version wouldn't have much motivation to keep the same username and get their rating transferred to the new version.

In any case being able to have fun playing with those of another skill level is in itself a useful skill.
I really think keeping their program from overheating people's computers is a more important problem for them to fix. Then again, my computer is rather vulnerable to overheating, so while I'm afraid to play dominion on it right now, I know it isn't a problem for everyone.

i haven't even installed it b/c of all the people complaining about overheating.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2015, 08:56:42 pm »

Another issue I just realized that wasn't included in this poll is that logs aren't available until the next day. I wonder if they have plans to change this. It is pretty inconvenient to wait until the next day to pull a log if you want to discuss it.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2015, 09:04:55 pm »
+3

Another issue I just realized that wasn't included in this poll is that logs aren't available until the next day. I wonder if they have plans to change this. It is pretty inconvenient to wait until the next day to pull a log if you want to discuss it.

If that's the main problem someone had with the client, I think they'd be highly satisfied with it overall.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2015, 09:21:04 pm »

The game logs are actually available immediately. On the game results screen click the icon on the lower right that looks like a bulleted list to see the in-game log. The "On The Web" button will take you to the full log.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2015, 09:34:56 pm »
+2

Something I just realized isn't in the poll:  I can't see all the cards in my hand at times.  Has that been discussed elsewhere?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25741
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2015, 09:38:06 pm »
+1

Something I just realized isn't in the poll:  I can't see all the cards in my hand at times.  Has that been discussed elsewhere?
It has come up a number of times. Obv. it's nuts but I would still fix matchmaking ahead of it.

There was one thread about, okay I am playing the Dark Ages campaigns and my hand has Hovel and I can't read it and don't know what it does and hey there is nothing in this program that will show me it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2015, 09:38:36 pm »
+5

I've said I think there should be a hover image when you mouseover a card for selection.  Same problem choosing in play cards (e.g., Scheme)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1560
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2015, 10:20:55 pm »

I think that the issue is that your system can cause a lot of frustration for people who put "prefer on". If I had no idea about defaults and all that, I would think that the outcome of selecting "prefer on" would be that most of my games will have the vp counter.  However, since most people just stick to the default, what will actually happen is that most of my games will be with the vp counter off. Therefore changing a single "don't care" option to a "prefer on" and "prefer off" option could easily be frustrating for a person who selects "prefer on" when they will expect to play mostly games with it on and they will, in reality, play most games with it off.

This is enough for me to think that a 3 option of "on","off" or "no preference" is much better because it is very clear to the user what they are selecting and the outcome is very clear.  I guarantee that if you have the 4-option system with "prefer x" you will get people complaining that the auto-match system doesn't work (even if it works perfectly) because they have "prefer on" selected and barely ever play with a point counter.
Thanks, that was a much better explanation than I managed. :)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2015, 08:30:59 am »
+4

I've said I think there should be a hover image when you mouseover a card for selection.  Same problem choosing in play cards (e.g., Scheme)

This is really, really, really needed, especially with Scheme when you have no f'ing clue what cards are what.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2015, 08:57:30 am »

So much this. Get the platform to a stable point where those who want to play and pay (or those who have already paid can get what they paid for) before worrying about esthetics. I couldn't care less about the auto match arguments when I and many others can't even access the program to play with anyone regardless of skill level.

In my opinion all MF resources should be geared toward making the program stable and useable without worrying about overheating and crashing.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2015, 08:59:00 am »

So much this. Get the platform to a stable point where those who want to play and pay (or those who have already paid can get what they paid for) before worrying about esthetics. I couldn't care less about the auto match arguments when I and many others can't even access the program to play with anyone regardless of skill level.

In my opinion all MF resources should be geared toward making the program stable and useable without worrying about overheating and crashing.

I sent them a message about this, and they told me that it should not be happening anymore and to uninstall and reinstall the program. That worked for me.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2015, 10:13:48 am »

I sent them a message about this, and they told me that it should not be happening anymore and to uninstall and reinstall the program. That worked for me.

When was this? Last time I tried an uninstall/reinstall was about 3 days ago. And it failed miserably.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2015, 10:23:29 am »
+1

Good ol good of the many vs. the rights of the few conundrum.  Far more people are affected by lack of automatch since most people can use the program, but obviously not using the program at all is more severe.

As for Library Adventurers belief that ratings still need time to stabilize, he is just misguided/underinformed.  Anyone who has made an isotropic alt and stabilized in like 3 days coming up from absolute 0 can tell you that accurate ratings don't need as long as fine wine to mature and become useful.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2015, 10:28:07 am »
+4

The option "never more than 1000 below my rating" allows matchings with people more than 1000 rating points below your current rating.

Unless anyone wants to argue that MF's software contains a self-learning AI, this won't change even if you let it ripe a million years.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2015, 10:55:54 am »
+3

I don't see why this is a subjective thing or "something that will get better with time". It's just broken. It says "never more than 1000 below my rating" and it consistently violates that rule. It's a bug. It's easy to demonstrate. We've found several examples. It shouldn't take a massive community effort to find dozens more. If the developers need more examples it is trivial for them to find the examples. It should be trivial to fix this problem. They just need to fix it. It's quite simple.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2015, 11:00:29 am »
+8

The option "never more than 1000 below my rating" allows matchings with people more than 1000 rating points below your current rating.

Unless anyone wants to argue that MF's software contains a self-learning AI, this won't change even if you let it ripe a million years.

It's working as intended! The algorithm never matches you with anyone more than (1000 below your rating). Hence it only matches you with players with a rating less than (YourRating – 1000). If you want tougher opponents, maybe don't use the option that specifically matches you against weak players!

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2015, 11:13:43 am »

It's working as intended! The algorithm never matches you with anyone more than (1000 below your rating). Hence it only matches you with players with a rating less than (YourRating – 1000). If you want tougher opponents, maybe don't use the option that specifically matches you against weak players!

Is this Lastfootnote making an unhelpful sarcastic joke in the middle of an already confusing conversation? I believe I may be losing touch with reality here...

Whatever it is, I'm gunna upvote it. I fully support people stepping out of character.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2015, 11:16:16 am »

Yeah it was a little out of character for him so I had to reread and make sure it was a joke.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2015, 11:29:44 am »
+5

Maybe it means that it will never match you with more than 1000 people whose rating is below your rating.  So once you play 1000 of these games, you'll always match with higher-level players.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2015, 12:11:06 pm »
+4

It's working as intended! The algorithm never matches you with anyone more than (1000 below your rating). Hence it only matches you with players with a rating less than (YourRating – 1000). If you want tougher opponents, maybe don't use the option that specifically matches you against weak players!

Is this Lastfootnote making an unhelpful sarcastic joke in the middle of an already confusing conversation? I believe I may be losing touch with reality here...

Whatever it is, I'm gunna upvote it. I fully support people stepping out of character.

It's…sort of a joke? I mean obviously it's not actually working as intended, but the requirement could easily be misread by a developer who didn't understand the intent of the feature.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2015, 12:14:45 pm »

I've suggested that is the case before, but I think that makes even less sense because then two people who selected the option could never be matched with each other.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2015, 12:36:32 pm »
+2

It's…sort of a joke? I mean obviously it's not actually working as intended, but the requirement could easily be misread by a developer who didn't understand the intent of the feature.
I have randomly matched with 2.718 while having the box checked, and others have experienced randomly receiving a proper match with the box checked.  It's been ruled out that the feature was actually implemented that way, and implemented correctly.

You can convert it to 100% joke if you like.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2015, 12:58:03 pm »
+1

I have randomly matched with 2.718 while having the box checked, and others have experienced randomly receiving a proper match with the box checked.  It's been ruled out that the feature was actually implemented that way, and implemented correctly.

You can convert it to 100% joke if you like.

At this point most people who have posted anything about this topic can pretty safely convert their post into a JPEG of three otters that look like they're waving at the viewer.

EDIT: Except, obviously, Witherweaver, who would have difficulty doing that.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2015, 03:33:41 pm »

Especially if the developer speaks a different language and works in a different country from the person writing the requirements.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 17 queries.