Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176791 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4125 on: July 06, 2014, 07:45:09 pm »

Lose track rule is also involved with, say, inn getting reshuffled into your deck. You can't use watchtower to put inn on top of your deck afterwards (of course, you can choose not to shuffle the inn into your deck in the first place, since you get to choose the order "on gain" effects trigger). Maybe someone else can find a better example.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4126 on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:27 pm »

That isn't an example of the lose track rule, if I remember how it works correctly. However, I'm not sure I understand it correctly either, so I can't explain it to you. I think I've just memorized what interactions work and which don't...
Let's nitpick a bit, shouldn't it be, though? The lose track rule applies when card A attempts to move card B from location X to location Y, but card B isn't in location X. Playing a card means moving it to the play area and doing what it says on the card. Whenever you Throne a Madman, the first time you play it, you return it to the Supply and everything works just fine. Then, Throne expects it to be in play but it isn't there, so it loses track of it, so it isn't moved to the play area. Then you get the +actions, but can't return it to the Supply again, because it's already there.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: July 06, 2014, 08:11:46 pm »

That isn't an example of the lose track rule, if I remember how it works correctly. However, I'm not sure I understand it correctly either, so I can't explain it to you. I think I've just memorized what interactions work and which don't...
Let's nitpick a bit, shouldn't it be, though? The lose track rule applies when card A attempts to move card B from location X to location Y, but card B isn't in location X. Playing a card means moving it to the play area and doing what it says on the card. Whenever you Throne a Madman, the first time you play it, you return it to the Supply and everything works just fine. Then, Throne expects it to be in play but it isn't there, so it loses track of it, so it isn't moved to the play area. Then you get the +actions, but can't return it to the Supply again, because it's already there.

Let's nitpick even more: you can only move a card from location X to location Y if X and Y are different locations, so throne room doesn't try to move cards to the play area when it plays the card for the second time, since the card should already be there. However, I agree that madman still fails to return to the supply on second play, since it's already there.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: July 06, 2014, 08:15:41 pm »
+4

Let's nitpick even more: you can only move a card from location X to location Y if X and Y are different locations, so throne room doesn't try to move cards to the play area when it plays the card for the second time, since the card should already be there. However, I agree that madman still fails to return to the supply on second play, since it's already there.

Let's nitpick just a bit more: Madman never returns to the supply, it returns to the Madman pile. Madman can never return to the supply because it wasn't in the supply in the first place.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: July 06, 2014, 08:21:47 pm »
+6

Let's nitpick just a bit more: Madman never returns to the supply, it returns to the Madman pile. Madman can never return to the supply because it wasn't in the supply in the first place.

Let's nitpick just a tiny bit more:  why are we discussing Dominion in the Random Stuff thread?
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3273
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: July 06, 2014, 08:25:54 pm »
+2

Let's nitpick just a tiny bit more:  why are we discussing Dominion in the Random Stuff thread?

well i felt that asking about the lost track rule out of nowhere was pretty random and therefore justified.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: July 06, 2014, 08:34:38 pm »

Let's talk about something more interesting, AKA anything else. Oh, how about this?

I just watched this.  It was amazing.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4132 on: July 06, 2014, 09:20:17 pm »

Throne Room always tries to move cards to the play area, but it just always fails. Normally, it fails because the card is already there, but in Madman's case, it fails because of the lose track rule. Or does Throne Room know that the attempt would be pointless anyway since X = Y, therefore it gives up without even trying to put it into play, even when X != Y?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4133 on: July 07, 2014, 01:58:36 am »
+7

On another note, I decided, on a whim, to read Finnegans Wake, and the following sentence just came up:

"Whatif she be in flags or flitters, reekierags or sundyechosies, with a mint of mines or beggar a pinnyweight."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: July 07, 2014, 08:44:19 am »

After finally watching the final episode of the incredibly long 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I have moved on to other geekgasm shows that I missed the first time around. I have started watching the new Battlestar Galactica.

I have to say that the first few episodes are quite engaging and enjoyable. They're really laying thick the war-is-hell theme what with all the helpless people getting killed.

Also, it surprised me that they revealed the hidden Cylon so early. I was expecting one of those mysterious whodunit subplots where the big reveal is a plot twist. Nope, here is the Cylon at the end of episode 2 (or was it 3?). Since I was used to the unknown-traitor subplot, I found this to be a bit jarring at first but refreshing. Not every story needs to have artificial drama tacked on with a mysterious saboteur. And seeing how the story is progressing on the planet, I can see why it was necessary to have the Cylon's identity be revealed. Besides, it adds a different artificial drama when the audience knows who the Cylon is while the cast doesn't.

Thanks to signatures on here with the BSG game, I knew a couple of characters are mains, but that's not a huge spoiler. And just because they're important early on doesn't mean they can't die or be Cyloned or whatever.

Looking forward to finishing this one.
A man has no signature

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: July 07, 2014, 08:47:37 am »
+1

I was disappointed with the lack of Buffy related stuff in the last post...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: July 07, 2014, 09:38:10 am »

After finally watching the final episode of the incredibly long 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I have moved on to other geekgasm shows that I missed the first time around. I have started watching the new Battlestar Galactica.

I have to say that the first few episodes are quite engaging and enjoyable. They're really laying thick the war-is-hell theme what with all the helpless people getting killed.

Also, it surprised me that they revealed the hidden Cylon so early. I was expecting one of those mysterious whodunit subplots where the big reveal is a plot twist. Nope, here is the Cylon at the end of episode 2 (or was it 3?). Since I was used to the unknown-traitor subplot, I found this to be a bit jarring at first but refreshing. Not every story needs to have artificial drama tacked on with a mysterious saboteur. And seeing how the story is progressing on the planet, I can see why it was necessary to have the Cylon's identity be revealed. Besides, it adds a different artificial drama when the audience knows who the Cylon is while the cast doesn't.

Thanks to signatures on here with the BSG game, I knew a couple of characters are mains, but that's not a huge spoiler. And just because they're important early on doesn't mean they can't die or be Cyloned or whatever.

Looking forward to finishing this one.

I watched it all over Christmas time last year.  I thought it was fantastic.  Some people don't like the direction the fourth and fifth season went, but I was happy with everything.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: July 07, 2014, 11:14:14 am »

I'm all Buffyed out. I could start up Angel now that I'm done with Buffy, but I'm so tired of that show now. This wouldn't have happened if I followed it on a weekly basis rather than watch the episodes in a marathon. At approximately 22 episodes per season, that's a shit-ton of episodes to get through.

And while I love Whedon's writing style, it did get a bit tedious when it seemed like every character on the show spoke with the same whimsy. I did not see so much of this in his later works like Dollhouse and the Avengers, but I could even pick up a little bit of that redundancy in Firefly. Since Angel aired around the same time as Buffy, I fear I'm going to get saturated with even more Whedonisms, and I just need a break. BSG is considerably different in mood and style, and I'm basking in that difference right now.

However, being late to the Buffy party, it was interesting to see some of the same actors in other Whedon projects, notably Echo and Mal. But that's not too surprising. Directors have their favorite actors. Raimi and Burton come to mind quite easily.
A man has no signature

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: July 07, 2014, 11:51:57 am »
+3

All this talk of X and Y made me want to check serebii.net for Pokémon news. The Pokémon of the Week is Golduck! Woo!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: July 07, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »

Just finished Breaking Bad. Wow, what a crazy show. Extremely well done IMO. And Bryan Cranston is an amazing actor.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: July 07, 2014, 02:43:57 pm »

Orphan Black
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: July 07, 2014, 02:47:16 pm »

Orphan Black

Yes! Just started it about a week ago, am on Season 2 now.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: July 07, 2014, 02:50:14 pm »

Rectify. It's first season was better than Breaking Bad's last.

These shows have nothing in common though, so bear in mind that what I just said basically means nothing. But it's really good.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: July 07, 2014, 07:19:22 pm »

I'm all Buffyed out. I could start up Angel now that I'm done with Buffy, but I'm so tired of that show now. This wouldn't have happened if I followed it on a weekly basis rather than watch the episodes in a marathon. At approximately 22 episodes per season, that's a shit-ton of episodes to get through.

And while I love Whedon's writing style, it did get a bit tedious when it seemed like every character on the show spoke with the same whimsy. I did not see so much of this in his later works like Dollhouse and the Avengers, but I could even pick up a little bit of that redundancy in Firefly. Since Angel aired around the same time as Buffy, I fear I'm going to get saturated with even more Whedonisms, and I just need a break. BSG is considerably different in mood and style, and I'm basking in that difference right now.

However, being late to the Buffy party, it was interesting to see some of the same actors in other Whedon projects, notably Echo and Mal. But that's not too surprising. Directors have their favorite actors. Raimi and Burton come to mind quite easily.

It was good to watch Angel in tandem with Buffy at the appropriate seasons.

I'm in the minority, in that I ended up preferring Angel to Buffy overall.  Probably because I preferred the Angel characters over Buffy's.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: July 07, 2014, 07:19:40 pm »
+1

As for shows to watch -- I feel like Justified doesn't get enough love.  That is a great show.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4145 on: July 08, 2014, 12:19:46 am »

I need to stop playing GTA V before bed. I'm pretty sure Trevor is giving me nightmares.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: July 08, 2014, 12:41:04 am »

Anyone for Fargo?  I've only seen episodes here and there, but it looks good.  My roommate watches Justified, and it looks good but I have to go back and start from the beginning.

Also, The Leftovers---I'm liking it a lot so far.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:48 am »

I'm in the minority, in that I ended up preferring Angel to Buffy overall.  Probably because I preferred the Angel characters over Buffy's.

I got the feeling while watching Buffy that they occasionally referred to events happening in Angel, so I missed out on that.

I'm kind of turned off by the notion of watching Angel, because he seems to me like what Edward from Twilight wants to be. I'm sure it's a silly reason. A break will do me good.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: July 08, 2014, 01:54:41 am »

I got the feeling while watching Buffy that they occasionally referred to events happening in Angel, so I missed out on that.

I'm kind of turned off by the notion of watching Angel, because he seems to me like what Edward from Twilight wants to be. I'm sure it's a silly reason. A break will do me good.

Angel always felt like the more modern show -- probably because it started later.  There were a lot of Serenity cameos in Angel, too.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: July 08, 2014, 09:40:47 am »

I need to stop playing GTA V before bed. I'm pretty sure Trevor is giving me nightmares.

7 dollars?!

I said something nice! Not expensive, nice. You don't want to be a greedy cow do ya?
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 17 queries.