Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49  All

Author Topic: M134: Conference Call Mafia V 2.0 - Game Over - Skum Wins!  (Read 118282 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: M134: Conference Call Mafia V 2.0 - Day 3!
« Reply #850 on: March 14, 2021, 05:10:42 am »

Vote: Didds
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 14, 2021, 09:18:11 am »

Sorry, yesterday completely got away from me! I did see another human being in person (outside, socially distanced, legal in the UK) for a little while, though, so I'm slightly more human again now than I had been :-)

I think Joth is making sense about warning PRs not to trust in getting saved at E-1, but we also have to remember that investigative results could massively help un-stall the game since it feels like town is struggling now. A PR who's sitting on a bunch of null results, or doesn't have anything useful on live players, may really be better off staying quiet and hoping to hit good info now that the pool is narrowing.

More stuff incoming in a little while, but I need to mix screen time with a lot of chores today..
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 14, 2021, 09:51:55 am »

Alrighty then, vote: faust

I am visiting my kid at her college today and tomorrow (College?!? Gah!). I won’t be around much until the evening (forum time). I’m willing to vote for EFHW or faust. The fact that they are both voting for me, when I know I’m not scum, solidifies for me that at least one of them is a baddie. If y’all exile me while I’m busy, remember that, okay?

Boo on chores, Space. Hooray for real life other persons! And hooray Dylan for travel! I was on a plane yesterday and it was entirely too crowded but everyone was wearing masks and I realized it’s going to take me a long time to feel safe being close to other people again. I hope the process goes smoothly for you. Also, hooray for the big work project going well. Ashersky, I’ve been thinking about you and your family add sweet Tobi. My heart breaks for you.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 14, 2021, 10:34:33 am »

@Didds, thank you.  It's been so crazy busy otherwise that my mind has been on other things.  The dog lived a long, long time and had a good life, and his suffering ended, so I'm focusing on the positives.

In addition to joth's warning about E-1 claims not saving the claimant, I think it's worth remembering that mafia who know the setup is now safe to fakeclaim at will can also fakeclaim null results on a partner to protect them with slight evidence, such as "well, I tracked X and they did not take any actions last night" sorts of stuff.  It doesn't clear them, but adds a data point.

I would say that everyone getting a popsquiz down during this day would be useful information for all, so it seems anti-town not to do it.  I know some players have not posted one.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 14, 2021, 12:31:59 pm »

Vote Count 3.3:

Ashersky (1): Joth
WCD (2): EFHW, faust
faust (1): WCD
Not Voting (3):  SpaceAnenome, Ashersky, Dylan32

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to Exile.
Day 3 starts now and ends Monday, March 15th at 6:30pm Forum Time.

*Phone Vote Count.
** DL in a little over a day
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: March 14, 2021, 01:03:03 pm »

Have I posted one?

town: me, Space, faust
meh: Didds, EFHW, Dylan
scum: ash

those are in order from towniest to scummiest. I wouldn't be sad to vote from the middle category to get an exile. In fact it's looking like I probably will have to do just that.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 14, 2021, 05:29:53 pm »

EFHW's comment about me seems strange to me. Like it's trying to consolidate towards a more acceptable exile for today, but keeping enough doubt on me to keep it viable to return to the manufactured scumread later. That or it's just legit doubt, idk.  I would like to hear the vca that they said they'd elaborate on when not on mobile.

The elaboration was going to be the reads on you and ash. I didn't find anything in the vca that hasn't already been mentioned.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 14, 2021, 07:46:45 pm »

I’m going to switch to vote: EFHW.

I still think faust is scummy, but EFHWs last post is the latest that creates the appearance of engagement without actually advancing a case. More proof, her case in me.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 14, 2021, 08:31:27 pm »

Things I've found a bit scummy/off about faust this game. Some are minor, but they add together.

First, there was his fishing around for a MiX wagon in D1 while not actually voting MiX because he wanted to sit on Mathdude. I called him on it at the time, so you can see the exchange a bit at #256, though faust doesn't explain why he's set on Mathdude over MiX.

I kind of felt that faust wasn't really scumhunting, but rather was reacting to what the rest of town would go with, both in probing who would go for what wagon, and in not really engaging properly with my question about whether Robz was a better alternative-wagon target than MiX. I don't think faust ever went back and addressed my question at #277, though this one is more minor, because with both this and the earlier point about the MiX wagon, MiX was taking it upon himself to answer all the questions for other people, so that gave faust plenty of cover/excuse for not saying anything at the time.

Faust seconding MiX's "Intent to make someone hammer math" post felt super-scummy to me, because I think faust is someone who should absolutely have been arguing for doing something sensible with the claims.

Faust made a "Pfft" comment to MiX when he said I was locktown. I could feel some omgus offence here, but I don't actually think it's contributing much to me read on faust. Worth noting that he did want to discredit my prob-town status, though.

Faust pushes quite a safe line of asking what d2 MiX voters thought was going on at the end of d1. It's another example of fishing for other people to make cases, or to say things he can them safely pick at, because scum knows that MiX isn't mafia. This starts at #415, and continues at #435, #437, and kind of also at #447, where he's using the fact that gkrieg hasn't engaged with it to justify not saying anything more about his vote on gkrieg.

#431 is the first time in a while that faust answers a direct question from me. I was still very frustrated at MiX for playing so chaotically and rushing through the EoD1, but of course scum!faust would already know that it's safe to fence with me over my puching the MiX wagon, because from scum's point of view it's a fine and obvious wagon for town to push.

#473 is a continuation of faust's "how does MiX make sense as scum" line, but calling it a game intervention. However, he's changing nothing in the game, nor pointing anything in a new direction. This kind of feels like he's making the game stall because he's focusing everyone's attention on an irrelevant question. And as I've said before, I think scum wants to keep a chaotic MiX around for the misfires. (Joth later points out this same thing, and I quote it and build on it at #512).

At #500 faust calls me scum for being "very illogcal" in the pursuit of the MiX wagon. Obviously I disagree, and we've heard since that MiX honestly was trying to lie to the thread and push through a ridiculous exile just because he felt threatened as a PR, so I think my read on him and criticism of anti-town play was justified.

#501 really starts the alarm bells, because faust scumreads me for not looking at wagons, when I absolutely considered it and reasoned very logically that it was not useful to do so because the EoD1 was such a mess with so many people incorrectly supporting a terrible newbie exile. I put my reasoning at #513, and I don't think faust ever came back to exlain why my points would be invalid. Instead he does make a quote-less post at #516 kind of throwing his hands up and saying that there was no reason for the whole scumteam to be behind the bad mixile, but importantly he doesn't actually engage with the things I've said. For me, this is very unsatisfying, because he's claimed a scumread, I've made a comment, and then he never acknowledges the validity of what I've said back to the thread again, so that feels quite scummy to me, because I know there are other players in-thread who aren't going to logic their way through these things for themselves, and are going to be looking out for acceptance cues from faust, so the fact they're not there is a problem.

There's a bunch of talk of setup around the #600 mark. Again, it's an easy thing to engage in and try to score townpoints for as scum, but scum are going to have asked questions ahead of time in their QT, so I don't think it's worth townpoints, but it is a good way for scum to keep the conversation away from definite scumhunting.

#626 faust is back on the "there is like for sure scum off the mathdude wagon" line, without having engaged in the conversation I'd tried to have with him about why I don't think that's necessarily true in this case. It's notable that now he's only trying to convince Didds of this, though. I really think this feels like someone who knows all the scum were on-wagon pushing a line that there has to be an off-wagon scum in order to confuse town into voting for each other.

I don't like the tone of faust's response to gkrieg at #661. It just doesn't feel townie to push such a tenuous line as the "one scum off-wagon" thing I'm already arguing against, and come out with "This is ridiculous" when gkrieg also replies that the way the exile went down was fast and all scum could absolutely have ended the day on the Mathdude wagon.

The faust engages quite happily with joth on the topic of policy votes, which again is a safe topic for scum, because we're literally talking about voting townies whose play bothers other townies, and of course scum have to love that.

Faust sounds quite excited to be lining up the gkrieg exile at #736, and makes it clear that he's leaving it there at #747 and going to be gone till after the D2 deadline.

Okay, I was going to do a complete re-read of faust and also find all the places where I felt I'd asked relevant questions or made relevant responses and then he'd just totally avoided engaging with them, but it's late now, so I'll have to leave that. Still, I think overall it's enough for me to be more confident on a faust case than I've been able to feel on any other person I've tried doing a case-making read-through on, so:

Vote: faust
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 14, 2021, 08:33:49 pm »

Eep, sorry, I meant to just preview that post, check the links, run the spell-checking, re-read my words and all that stuff, but tired me clicked on "post" instead of "preview" :-(

I hope it's not too terrible! I really need to get to bed now though...

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 14, 2021, 08:38:13 pm »

Eep, sorry, I meant to just preview that post, check the links, run the spell-checking, re-read my words and all that stuff, but tired me clicked on "post" instead of "preview" :-(

I hope it's not too terrible! I really need to get to bed now though...

I worries! That was a heap of work! Thank you!

I already agree with you, and I think Dylan and Ash do too. But Joth has faust is his towniest tier...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 14, 2021, 09:22:44 pm »

I already agree with you, and I think Dylan and Ash do too. But Joth has faust is his towniest tier...

I think this sort of spread makes sense.  If faust is mafia, he has a partner of some sort.  Plus, people will just be wrong in their reads one way or the other.  So I guess I'm just pointing out that this specific thing shouldn't affect your own read.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 15, 2021, 12:53:29 am »

Vote Count 3.4:

WCD (2): EFHW, faust
Ashersky (1): Joth
faust (1): SpaceAnenome
EFHW (1): WestCoastDidds
Not Voting (2): Ashersky, Dylan32

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to Exile.
Day 3 starts now and ends Monday, March 15th at 6:30pm Forum Time - That is in under 24 hours!

*Proper Vote Count
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 15, 2021, 01:04:19 am »

I'm starting to get suspicious of Dylan.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 15, 2021, 04:20:54 am »

I'll deal with Space's case. It all seems quite bias-ridden, and i'm not sure this will be convincing them, but I wouldn't do my job if I didn't try.

First, there was his fishing around for a MiX wagon in D1 while not actually voting MiX because he wanted to sit on Mathdude. I called him on it at the time, so you can see the exchange a bit at #256, though faust doesn't explain why he's set on Mathdude over MiX.
I'm very confused; the very post you linked to is where I explained why I didn't want to leave the mathdude wagon, so how can you at the same time claim I gave no explanation?

I kind of felt that faust wasn't really scumhunting, but rather was reacting to what the rest of town would go with, both in probing who would go for what wagon, and in not really engaging properly with my question about whether Robz was a better alternative-wagon target than MiX. I don't think faust ever went back and addressed my question at #277, though this one is more minor, because with both this and the earlier point about the MiX wagon, MiX was taking it upon himself to answer all the questions for other people, so that gave faust plenty of cover/excuse for not saying anything at the time.
The question in that post seems rhetorical to me. Sorry if you meant it as a genuine question.

Faust seconding MiX's "Intent to make someone hammer math" post felt super-scummy to me, because I think faust is someone who should absolutely have been arguing for doing something sensible with the claims.
What do you mean "doing something sensible"? I thought mathdude was scum regardless of the actual role he would claim; in such a position, what do you think I should have done?

Faust pushes quite a safe line of asking what d2 MiX voters thought was going on at the end of d1. It's another example of fishing for other people to make cases, or to say things he can them safely pick at, because scum knows that MiX isn't mafia. This starts at #415, and continues at #435, #437, and kind of also at #447, where he's using the fact that gkrieg hasn't engaged with it to justify not saying anything more about his vote on gkrieg.
This is what I do. You know my meta, so I'm not sure what this is even doing here. I thought the MiX votes were off and figured that if people gave their reasoning then it would be easier to pinpoint the scum among them. Again, can you explain what you think town!me would have done instead?

#431 is the first time in a while that faust answers a direct question from me. I was still very frustrated at MiX for playing so chaotically and rushing through the EoD1, but of course scum!faust would already know that it's safe to fence with me over my puching the MiX wagon, because from scum's point of view it's a fine and obvious wagon for town to push.
This is pure bias. There is no hint of an argument in here. You can put a scum narrative in anything; defending town, pushing town, defending scum, pushing scum. Without an explanation of why this is something that I would do as scum but not as town, this is worthless.

#473 is a continuation of faust's "how does MiX make sense as scum" line, but calling it a game intervention. However, he's changing nothing in the game, nor pointing anything in a new direction. This kind of feels like he's making the game stall because he's focusing everyone's attention on an irrelevant question. And as I've said before, I think scum wants to keep a chaotic MiX around for the misfires. (Joth later points out this same thing, and I quote it and build on it at #512).
I'm confused again. Now the question of whether a player is scum or not is irrelevant? Are we even playing the same game?

#501 really starts the alarm bells, because faust scumreads me for not looking at wagons, when I absolutely considered it and reasoned very logically that it was not useful to do so because the EoD1 was such a mess with so many people incorrectly supporting a terrible newbie exile. I put my reasoning at #513, and I don't think faust ever came back to exlain why my points would be invalid. Instead he does make a quote-less post at #516 kind of throwing his hands up and saying that there was no reason for the whole scumteam to be behind the bad mixile, but importantly he doesn't actually engage with the things I've said. For me, this is very unsatisfying, because he's claimed a scumread, I've made a comment, and then he never acknowledges the validity of what I've said back to the thread again, so that feels quite scummy to me, because I know there are other players in-thread who aren't going to logic their way through these things for themselves, and are going to be looking out for acceptance cues from faust, so the fact they're not there is a problem.
I feel like this gets to the core of things. Space is "unsatisfied" with my play and then concludes that this must mean I'm scum. Now I understand being unsatisfied with my play; I have the same feeling. I guess it is kind of a compliment that you think I couldn't play badly as town, but it is unfortunately incorrect.

I don't think I deserve the particular criticism in here though. Let's look a bit at the post #513 that you think I should have responded to:
[...]
Is that the kind of post you're trying to accuse me of not having made, or do you just need the one-scum-in-this-pool sort of predictions I sometimes make, so that then you can accuse me of being scummy for assuming or not assuming where the potential traitor fits in, since those are a lot harder to deduce well when we don't even know if all the scumteam are aware of each other?

Vote:  faust
It ends with a (again presumed rhetorical) question that to me reads like you accuse me that I would scumread you no matter what you did. At that point I don't think you will read anything I post in good faith. I did not pursue this because to me it looked futile; you were not going to listen to anything I say.

There's a bunch of talk of setup around the #600 mark. Again, it's an easy thing to engage in and try to score townpoints for as scum, but scum are going to have asked questions ahead of time in their QT, so I don't think it's worth townpoints, but it is a good way for scum to keep the conversation away from definite scumhunting.
The faust engages quite happily with joth on the topic of policy votes, which again is a safe topic for scum, because we're literally talking about voting townies whose play bothers other townies, and of course scum have to love that.
These are both just annoying because they presume that I wasn't doing scumhunting, but at the same time you acknwoledge that I was pushing for the gkrieg exile. It's like, these might be scummy if they were the only thing I did, but they're not, so this just reads like you picking more things to feed into your bias.

#626 faust is back on the "there is like for sure scum off the mathdude wagon" line, without having engaged in the conversation I'd tried to have with him about why I don't think that's necessarily true in this case. It's notable that now he's only trying to convince Didds of this, though. I really think this feels like someone who knows all the scum were on-wagon pushing a line that there has to be an off-wagon scum in order to confuse town into voting for each other.

I don't like the tone of faust's response to gkrieg at #661. It just doesn't feel townie to push such a tenuous line as the "one scum off-wagon" thing I'm already arguing against, and come out with "This is ridiculous" when gkrieg also replies that the way the exile went down was fast and all scum could absolutely have ended the day on the Mathdude wagon.
Not sure what else I'm supposed to say to that; you think it's bad to be looking off-wagon, and I disagree. You might have a stronger case here if another on-wagon player flipped non-Traitor scum, but right now this is all just conjecture.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 15, 2021, 04:29:49 am »

@Didds, are you planning to respond to this at some point?
However, the Space part of easier for me. I think you are finding one another scummy. I don’t really think that is manufactured (although I’m easily fooled) so my sense is that one of you is probably scum. Of those two, I think it’s you.
I don't understand. You think the scumreads aren't manufactured, but if one of us were scum, then by definition their scumread on the other would be manufactured. So I'm completely at a loss to understand what you mean here. One of us is town, and we're infallible, therefore the other must be scum? That is not a particularly good argument there.

Also, I'm not really scumreading Space anymore.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 15, 2021, 04:30:40 am »

Also, are we going to hear about this at some point?
I’m going to hold off on explicating the gkrieg related reasons for now.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 15, 2021, 04:36:04 am »

Vote: ashersky

Roughly once every 30 minutes I convince myself that one of Didds/ash is scummier than the other.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 15, 2021, 04:38:31 am »

But I'll post a poppy quizzy thing to satiate ashersky. I think I've already expressed all these reads here so it doesn't hurt to condense them.

Town: joth, EFHW, Space
Meh: Dylan
Scum: Didds, ash

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 15, 2021, 04:43:39 am »

Like this post just reads to me like: "Okay, the faust exile is well on track, Dylan is probably going to come in late to drop a hammer, so it's good to lay some groundwork for the final misexile."

Or why else would dylan just now start to become suspicious? He didn't do anything.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 15, 2021, 08:28:03 am »

Like this post just reads to me like: "Okay, the faust exile is well on track, Dylan is probably going to come in late to drop a hammer, so it's good to lay some groundwork for the final misexile."

Or why else would dylan just now start to become suspicious? He didn't do anything.

You thinking the faust exile is well on track is the biggest reason we should exile you.  Classic overreaction by somewhat pressured mafia.

On a side note, I knew posting that thought about Dylan without an explanation would raise some hackles.  Honestly, what triggered me to write it was seeing his name in the vote count as not voting.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 15, 2021, 08:50:03 am »

I'm busy at work today, so this is just a quick lunchtime check-in. I may have time around 3-3.30pm forum time to return, then 5pm onwards.

Oh, also it may be worth noting for the non-US people that US clocks changed yesterday. The spacing between forum time and local time is an hour less than normal for me, until the UK clocks move on the 28th.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 15, 2021, 09:02:41 am »

You thinking the faust exile is well on track is the biggest reason we should exile you.  Classic overreaction by somewhat pressured mafia.

On a side note, I knew posting that thought about Dylan without an explanation would raise some hackles.  Honestly, what triggered me to write it was seeing his name in the vote count as not voting.
I'm starting to get suspicious of ashersky.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 15, 2021, 09:04:27 am »

Also, I wasn't saying that I think that the faust exile is well on track, I was merely expressing your supposed thought process.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 15, 2021, 09:07:11 am »

One more because I need to get this off my chest: It's hilarious how ashersky, well known for consistently overreacting to pressure as town, somehow thinks that that's a scumtell.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.