Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 106  All

Author Topic: RMM3: Read The Freaking Flavour (Game Over, Evil Wins!)  (Read 231552 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

You don't feel like the town ashersky I know at all. Way too.. confident? I want to say cocky, but that sounds like I think you are obnoxious which is not true. Just.. feels like you know more than us mortals and can't hide it very well.

Well, it is role madness, so I imagine we all know something, it is just about trying to figure out how we can best help the town and stop the mafia.  I haven't figured out how to figure out who the bad guys are yet.  Not getting to many strong reads yet, unfortunately, either way.

Well (and I'm nor trying to rolefish), it was really weird, but my role PM contained absolutely 0 Harry Potter flavor (it actually contained no flavor that was specifically related to anything), so before the game officially launched I was seriously wondering if eHal was trolling us all with his pre-game talk of Harry Potter.

The reason I bring it up is that the list of things (rooms cleaned, beans, dementors etc.) Means absolutely nothing to me. I don't know if this I'd true of everybody or just me. In a game where Flavor is so important, I have to wonder how many red herrings will be out there.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile

The number of red herrings is over nine thousand!

I don't know how to talk about our flavor without being all rolefishy or revealing something scum might find helpful. What if either HP flavor or non-HP flavor was tied to power roles or lack thereof? Mafia would have a better read on that then town.

Or should we do one of those limited flavor massclaims that are so popular in RMM games.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

I don't think a limited flavor massclaim is a good idea when we know there's one particular role it's to our advantage to protect.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

I don't think a limited flavor massclaim is a good idea when we know there's one particular role it's to our advantage to protect.

Agree with Cayvie on this.  That universe-claim thing in the last RMM didn't help town figure out much of anything.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

That's true, it didn't do town much good in Ozle's BMMMMMMMM, either.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile

You don't feel like the town ashersky I know at all. Way too.. confident? I want to say cocky, but that sounds like I think you are obnoxious which is not true. Just.. feels like you know more than us mortals and can't hide it very well.

Well, it is role madness, so I imagine we all know something, it is just about trying to figure out how we can best help the town and stop the mafia.  I haven't figured out how to figure out who the bad guys are yet.  Not getting to many strong reads yet, unfortunately, either way.

Well (and I'm nor trying to rolefish), it was really weird, but my role PM contained absolutely 0 Harry Potter flavor (it actually contained no flavor that was specifically related to anything), so before the game officially launched I was seriously wondering if eHal was trolling us all with his pre-game talk of Harry Potter.

The reason I bring it up is that the list of things (rooms cleaned, beans, dementors etc.) Means absolutely nothing to me. I don't know if this I'd true of everybody or just me. In a game where Flavor is so important, I have to wonder how many red herrings will be out there.

cayvie makes a good point regarding the flavor massclaim idea in light of there being a powerful role for us to protect, questions to claim have given me the heebie-jeebies ever since Voltgloss suggested claiming card suits in the Major Arcana Mafia game, when he had a particular bonus to killing those with wands cards.  The way ftl brought this up reminded me too much of Voltgloss; it gives me a bit of a scummy read when you say what sounds like "oh hey, i don't know, this could be dangerous, but what do y'all think about a limited flavour claim? I'm not saying I'm necessarily for it but if you guys think so, maybe it'll be a good idea." 

There does seem to be a main theme of the flavor that I've noticed so far.  A:TLA and the avatar, Matrix and Neo, Harry Potter universe and HP himself.  I'm trying to think of other commonalities that Matrix and Harry Potter have, I'm much less familiar with this A:TLA business.  One common-theme that they have is the Imperio Curse and agent-takeovers of bluepills.  I'm not sure if there's anything that can take control of another persons actions/bodies from A:TLA? Could this be the powerful scum role that balances the powerful town role?

In other news
It's been pretty dead in here after Robz's game went to night, which is weird.

Robz, gun to you head, your top townreads and top scumreads?

Top townreads: ftl, Galzria

Top scum reads: Really don't have any, but ashersky is always a shady character to me
I also tend to see ashersky as a shady character instinctively, in ZM2 I was convinced that lynching him D2 would get the win and he turned out to be one of the cops instead.  I haven't noticed anything jump out at me yet.  I'm planning a bit of a reread this weekend, and I can hopefully get some clearer reads on people.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

questions to claim have given me the heebie-jeebies ever since Voltgloss suggested claiming card suits in the Major Arcana Mafia game, when he had a particular bonus to killing those with wands cards.

Ugh, good point. I forgot about Volt's wands thing. I brought the flavorclaim up because it seems like we do something of the sort in a lot of role madness games. I think you're probably right that it's a bad habit that shouldn't be encouraged without good reason. Sorry.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile

I'm sorry I'm a tiny bit lurky. I'm still following everything but I'm really really busy today and tomorrow. I will probably still get some content in and then I'm gonna do a big reread this weekend. Woo.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

It helped town immensely...
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

cayvie makes a good point regarding the flavor massclaim idea in light of there being a powerful role for us to protect, questions to claim have given me the heebie-jeebies ever since Voltgloss suggested claiming card suits in the Major Arcana Mafia game, when he had a particular bonus to killing those with wands cards.  The way ftl brought this up reminded me too much of Voltgloss; it gives me a bit of a scummy read when you say what sounds like "oh hey, i don't know, this could be dangerous, but what do y'all think about a limited flavour claim? I'm not saying I'm necessarily for it but if you guys think so, maybe it'll be a good idea." 

hee hee hee

i designed that role to make people nervous about flavor claims in the future, because i hate them :)

glad it's working

There does seem to be a main theme of the flavor that I've noticed so far.  A:TLA and the avatar, Matrix and Neo, Harry Potter universe and HP himself.  I'm trying to think of other commonalities that Matrix and Harry Potter have, I'm much less familiar with this A:TLA business.  One common-theme that they have is the Imperio Curse and agent-takeovers of bluepills.  I'm not sure if there's anything that can take control of another persons actions/bodies from A:TLA? Could this be the powerful scum role that balances the powerful town role?

Avatar has Bloodbending, which allows the user to control the body of another like a puppet. It's not a super big deal in A:TLA, but it is in Korra, the sequel show.

REAL SPOILERS
The two main antagonists are both bloodbenders
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

It helped town immensely...

It did? I thought it didn't, I was scum there and don't remember being hurt by it. What did it do?

Maybe I've forgotten already.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

i designed that role to make people nervous about flavor claims in the future, because i hate them :)

glad it's working

I don't like being manipulated across games.

Am pro flavor-claim now.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

glad it's working

I don't like being manipulated across games.

Am pro flavor-claim now.

for reals?

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

also, what do you mean you're pro-flavor claim now?

you were the one who suggested it!
The number of red herrings is over nine thousand!

I don't know how to talk about our flavor without being all rolefishy or revealing something scum might find helpful. What if either HP flavor or non-HP flavor was tied to power roles or lack thereof? Mafia would have a better read on that then town.

Or should we do one of those limited flavor massclaims that are so popular in RMM games.

she/her

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

I'm not exactly in favor of flavor claims, but I am in favor of underfunding what we're seeing and what's going on. Idon't want anybody to give anything away that they feel might hurt the town - but if the know anything that can shed light on what this game is about...

Well, it's up to the individual I suppose. I've revealed some about what I know in a wary that I hope will be helpful in directing our actions.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

All right - time to give this thread the loving that eHalc deserves.  Commencing reread.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Ahh auto-correct, my nemesis.

Mafia Record:

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: RMM3: Read The Freaking Flavour
« Reply #442 on: September 27, 2012, 10:02:10 pm »

Ash looked scummy but maybe isn't. Shraeye too maybe. But I guess I've just been finding shraeye scummy lately, here and in the huge game.

No talking about other games!

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

also, what do you mean you're pro-flavor claim now?

Well, shraeye's point was convincing enough that I changed my mind and didn't favor a mass-flavor-claim here, since it's not like I was dead-set on it anyway, and then you posted and I was like might as well be pro-flavor-claim just to be contrary to your general mean anti-flavor-claim stance. Because flavor is fun. And since your role design was specifically designed to be anti-flavor-claim, and you're not running this mafia, we can discount the experience from that game :)

I'm not exactly in favor of flavor claims, but I am in favor of underfunding what we're seeing and what's going on. Idon't want anybody to give anything away that they feel might hurt the town - but if the know anything that can shed light on what this game is about...

Well, it's up to the individual I suppose. I've revealed some about what I know in a wary that I hope will be helpful in directing our actions.

Fair enough. I can confirm that I too thought eHalc was trolling us pre-game.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile

hahaha, I died laughing while reading this.  I'm also in favor of underfunding what's going on, as long as I can pocket the savings.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Wow, not a whole bunch of stuff to analyze here. 

I'm anti no-lynch, even with the mod's blessing (that was weird), and kindof neutral on flavor claiming. 

If the mod really wanted night actions to shine, he could have given us a twilight / night start.  No lynching today means that we'll have Day 2 RVS. 

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile

I dont really care if we flavor claim, but my role has nothing to do with Harry Potter.

I also oppose 'no lynch', for the same reason as C_F said. We'd just be prolonging RVS.

Still no strong scum reads on anyone, this game has been kind of slow :P

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile

I don't know what my flavor is, just that it's not Harry Potter, Avatar, or Matrix. Possibly Spongebob?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile

I'm kind of wary of claiming any flavor, my role pm doesn't have any information on anyone else and I fear we'll again just end up helping scum with these partial claims. I'm not super-opposed (if we do a massclaim, I won't Dsell out I'll participate), but I don't think it's a good idea. I've been burned so many times because I cant keep my mouth shut, I'm trying to learn to be more cautious.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile

I don't think flavorcaliming is a good idea. If Neo is indeed the one we need to protect, that would put him in serious danger.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 106  All

Page created in 2.033 seconds with 21 queries.