Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trickster + Capital  (Read 231 times)

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
Trickster + Capital
« on: May 01, 2024, 10:58:49 am »

When Trickster sets aside Capital, what's the sequence of events? Do you still get 6 Debt?

I believe, Capital is being set aside by Trickster before its below line triggered, but dominion.games thinks differently

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10774
    • View Profile
Re: Trickster + Capital
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 11:18:10 am »
+2

When Trickster sets aside Capital, what's the sequence of events? Do you still get 6 Debt?

I believe, Capital is being set aside by Trickster before its below line triggered, but dominion.games thinks differently

2 different things trigger from the same event (Capital being discarded), so you get to choose the order.

1. You take 6 debt and can pay off debt.
2. You set Capital aside.

You can do these 2 things in any order. However, it doesn't matter which order you choose, since neither of them can affect the outcome of the other.

It sounds like you were thinking that Trickster would set aside the Capital instead of discarding it, but that's not the case. Trickster responds to when Capital is discarded.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 09:37:41 pm »

I am not getting it.

After Trickster sets Capital aside, it is not going to be discarded from play any more, so the "take debt" effect shouldn't be triggered

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 09:44:04 pm »
+5

I think the point is, Trickster doesn't set Capital aside until after it's discarded.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +426
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 05:20:24 am »
+2

Exactly.

What players (me included) usually pyhsically do when they have a Trickster in play and it is time to do cleanup, is to select a Treasure card (say a Gold), set it aside and put their other cards in play into their disard pile (assuming no other cleanup effects, duration cards, etc).

This is technically wrong!

Technically the Treasure card is discarded, and then gotten out of the discard pile and set aside from there. Doing it "wrong" physically for the overwhelming number of cases where Trickster is the only discard related effect for that Treasure card (and so doing it that way doesn't matter) may condition players to incorrectly assume that that Treasure card isn't discarded when it actutally matters (like with Capital).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.