Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45  All

Author Topic: M55: Mafia Holiday! - Town Wins!  (Read 102265 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: M55: Mafia Holiday! - Day 1 - PM for speccy
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2014, 03:15:32 am »

Easy way to check the scum slips.

chairs and Joseph, claim your holiday info.  If it's verified, you're safe.

Seconded. At best, we might catch scum, and I don't think anything undesirable can happen as a result? So it should be a good thing to do.

Vote: Hydrad because being bad at reading sarcasm is a scum tell.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2014, 04:03:51 am »

If all holiday information was randomized and just the scum players were left out, they'll have to wait for the Mod to provide that information.
which would be stupid and dependent on when e is online and an exploit and we should stop right here.

e, can you confirm that scum and town got the same type of flavor in their pm's?

If not, I am for restarting this game, as we can easily just win the game by confirming each other's food. Even if you send them the information "in time", they're still suspicious for posting late. it's best if we get clarification and try to win this the clean way.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2014, 04:05:17 am »

Plus, if chairs is town, we might now suspect him incorrectly, which would be an unfair disadvantage, likewise. The only way to resolve this is to have confirmation from the mod.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2014, 05:56:36 am »

I also have location, food and gift

And that should be Olivier salad, my bad

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2014, 06:03:09 am »

This whole thing might be a matter of "people didn't read the flavor on their PMs", I think e would know enough to give everyone the same flavor.

But, chairs reaction to ash jumping on him and joseph seems strangely subdued. I would expect town to be more indignant.

vote: chairs
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2014, 06:07:29 am »

This whole thing might be a matter of "people didn't read the flavor on their PMs", I think e would know enough to give everyone the same flavor.

I agree that's probably what happened, but I really don't like the attempt to abuse it, regardless of how big the chance is.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2014, 06:48:24 am »

I agree that's probably what happened, but I really don't like the attempt to abuse it, regardless of how big the chance is.

Why not? Shouldn't we try to win?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
Re: M55: Mafia Holiday!
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2014, 07:13:15 am »

Okay, I have Yule Ham and a Macintosh Laptop.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2014, 07:18:48 am »

But, chairs reaction to ash jumping on him and joseph seems strangely subdued. I would expect town to be more indignant.

vote: chairs

I was subdued because I wasn't here, I was in bed.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2014, 07:24:59 am »

for the same reason you don't slowplay your opponent constantly in dominion, even though it would lead to a higher rating and winrate.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2014, 07:31:53 am »

for the same reason you don't slowplay your opponent constantly in dominion, even though it would lead to a higher rating and winrate.

I agree, Vote:Awaclus for trying to use bad tactics to win.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:16 am »

I submitted Yule Ham.

I can't really get an in-game advantage over my opponent by playing slowly in Dominion. Forcing people to flavorclaim isn't against the rules, so we should trust that e knows what he's doing and try to benefit from everything we possibly can. http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2014, 08:52:55 am »

you get an advantage by slowplaying, because your opponent is losing focus and/or getting frustrated. he might even time out if he tabs out during your turn

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2014, 08:58:32 am »

you get an advantage by slowplaying, because your opponent is losing focus and/or getting frustrated. he might even time out if he tabs out during your turn

That's not an in-game advantage.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:06 am »

That's not an in-game advantage.

It's an advantage to help you win. If they play badly because they're annoyed, this helps you win. Similarly, if they time out, you win. So if your only motive was winning, then slowrolling would increase your chance of winning.

Similarly, by trying to abuse this setup/flavour thing, you're trying to win, but not the fun way.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:04 am »

This game is about reading into the things people say, if someone says something that reveals that they are probably scum then ignoring because it isn't "the right way to play" is silly. If scum doesn't have information that town would have, then that's a problem with the setup, but the I fully believe that the proper town response to a broken setup is to go ahead and use it to their advantage.

But if chairs does have the same flavor info in his PM (which I suspect he does) then his response was still super scummy, because he's acting guilty. "lol nice try ash but I just skimmed my PM, here's my flavor stuff, let's actually scumhunt", or even OMGUSing, would have been a towny response, but he instead got quiet and made a post where he didn't actually provide the requested information. I feel good about my vote on him.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2014, 09:27:43 am »

Since I have no information, I will not vote and potentially condemn an innocent man/woman.

BTW it kind of got lost in the shuffle, but this is pretty obviously newb town. Hi Seprix! I don't know how much you know about the game, but it's almost always a good idea to lynch someone. Even if we lynch town, the lynch gives us information, and every time we don't lynch we essentially give scum a free kill. Lynches are deaths that town has some control over, and we need to use take advantage of them to try and kill scum.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:35 am »

It's an advantage to help you win. If they play badly because they're annoyed, this helps you win. Similarly, if they time out, you win. So if your only motive was winning, then slowrolling would increase your chance of winning.

It's not an in-game advantage. The motive is not winning, it's playing for the win.

Similarly, by trying to abuse this setup/flavour thing, you're trying to win, but not the fun way.

It would be extremely unfun to handicap myself on purpose. You, sir, are a scrub.  :P

BTW it kind of got lost in the shuffle, but this is pretty obviously newb town. Hi Seprix! I don't know how much you know about the game, but it's almost always a good idea to lynch someone. Even if we lynch town, the lynch gives us information, and every time we don't lynch we essentially give scum a free kill. Lynches are deaths that town has some control over, and we need to use take advantage of them to try and kill scum.

Are you sure? It could be, but it could also be newbie scum being like "Since I have information and I know everyone except my partners is town, I will not vote". I'm not saying it's scummy, because it's not, but I also don't think it's particularly towny.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 09:42:08 am »

I think newb scum is more likely to be like, "I better push a mislynch so that me or my partners don't get lynched!"
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2014, 09:48:29 am »

I will vote for whoever submitted the Macintosh Laptop...

Hi everyone! I think silver's response to flavor stuff is townie. I also think ashersky's initial reaction was... normal. A bit townish. Hydrad doesn't feel right for me right now.

Vote: Hydrad
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2014, 09:50:41 am »

I can't really get an in-game advantage over my opponent by playing slowly in Dominion. Forcing people to flavorclaim isn't against the rules, so we should trust that e knows what he's doing and try to benefit from everything we possibly can. http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

This doesn't make sense. Either we trust e knows what he's doing, in which case flavor claiming does nothing, or we do not, in which case this is exploiting a mod mistake.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:11 am »

This game is about reading into the things people say, if someone says something that reveals that they are probably scum then ignoring because it isn't "the right way to play" is silly. If scum doesn't have information that town would have, then that's a problem with the setup, but the I fully believe that the proper town response to a broken setup is to go ahead and use it to their advantage.
you're generalizing in a pretty unreasonable way. If the setup is broken by having balance problems, then yes, you can use that. But if the mod made a mistake with the flavor, then you should not use that. This is very similar to the incident in ASoIaF mafia, where I was fakeclaiming cop and you asked me about the syntax in my pm (how is town/anti town phrased).

That kind of stuff is not okay, and should not be tolerated. I didn't say anything in that game, because I was scared scum, but here I don't have these problems and I'm not going to play along with it. The mod should confirm whether or not he screwed up with the flavor, if he didn't than that's that, and if he did we should restart.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2014, 10:19:26 am »

I'm fairly unavailable for a little bit.  But I promise when I come back I'll be useful and help guide us to victory!

Until then, Vote: ADK because I don't do it enough.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2014, 10:44:52 am »

vote: A Weaver Weaver

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2014, 10:50:57 am »

Confirming I have holiday location, food/drink item, and present in my PM.

Explain your vote for ADK then.

I didn't realize I had these things in my PM.

vote: ashersky
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.