Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 822074 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3681
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #2325 on: April 07, 2016, 03:52:04 pm »

Throne Room or variant.

You can do that?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: April 07, 2016, 03:53:03 pm »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: April 07, 2016, 03:54:32 pm »

Throne Room or variant.

You can do that?

Why not?

Oh, maybe because of this:

If you play the same Urchin twice in one turn, such as via Procession, that does not let you trash it for a Mercenary. If you play two different Urchins however, playing the second one will let you trash the first one.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Urchin

I'm not sure I understand why, though.

Edit: I guess 'another' Attack fails?

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: April 07, 2016, 03:55:40 pm »
+1

I think it's Madman with Hermit in the Black Market pile then. Makes more sense to me than the Urchin theory.
Join Team Rocket!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: April 07, 2016, 03:56:31 pm »
+1

I think it's Madman with Hermit in the Black Market pile then. Makes more sense to me than the Urchin theory.

Still excludes Rogue/Graverobber shenanigans.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: April 07, 2016, 03:59:03 pm »

Still excludes Rogue/Graverobber/Scheme shenanigans.

FTFY

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: April 07, 2016, 04:02:18 pm »

You can use Scheme to save your Hermit!?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1732
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2332 on: April 07, 2016, 04:03:03 pm »
+1

This is what I had in mind!

I guess the Urchin/Mercenary when there is no other attack, and Pillage/Spoils things also work.

All of the above exclude getting things back from the trash, which I hadn't thought of.

But ya, I've always wondered why all 10 Madmen go out when you get the Hermit from the BM deck.  Seems silly to me.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: April 07, 2016, 04:08:08 pm »

You play Scheme.  During clean-up, you choose Hermit.  Now you discard Hermit.  Two effects trigger simultaneously:

(1) Scheme says to put Hermit on top of you deck.
(2) Hermit says to trash it and gain a Madman.

You can choose to resolve (1) first.  Then when you resolve (2), you do everything you can.  That means you don't trash Hermit because it's lost track of itself, but you still gain a Madman.

@Dingan: because putting all 10 out is simpler and doesn't require extra rules that say "put 1 out, unless there are these special cases where you do indeed need all 10".  It's just a simple "put them out when Hermit is in the game".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2334 on: April 07, 2016, 04:08:53 pm »
+1

But ya, I've always wondered why all 10 Madmen go out when you get the Hermit from the BM deck.  Seems silly to me.

Why not? It is possible to gain more than one Madman with a single Hermit, and it would be incredibly inelegant to add a rule in the rule book stating that you only have 1 Madman in the pile when Hermit is in the BM deck because most of the time it doesn't make any difference anyway.

You play Scheme.  During clean-up, you choose Hermit.  Now you discard Hermit.  Two effects trigger simultaneously:

You can choose to resolve (1) first.  Then when you resolve (2), you do everything you can.  That means you don't trash Hermit because it's lost track of itself, but you still gain a Madman.

This also works with Prince, by the way.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 07, 2016, 05:37:50 pm »

Throne Room or variant.

You can do that?

Why not?

If you play the same Urchin twice in one turn, such as via Procession, that does not let you trash it for a Mercenary. If you play two different Urchins however, playing the second one will let you trash the first one.

My guess is that it isn't "in play" when it's being played a second time.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: April 07, 2016, 08:12:46 pm »
+5

Throne Room or variant.

You can do that?

Why not?

My guess is that it isn't "in play" when it's being played a second time.

WW is right. It is in play, and it is an Attack card, but it isn't another Attack card.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 08, 2016, 01:21:13 pm »
+1

I think the answer is, it doesn't really mean anything. The Madman pile isn't part of the supply, so it doesn't matter where you put it. You could have Hermit in the kingdom and just leave Madman in the box, and when anyone needs to gain a Madman you go back to your games cupboard and get a Madman out of it, and you're still playing by the rules. You could put Madman on the table next to the Duchies and Curses in a game without Hermit, and you're still playing by the rules.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 09, 2016, 09:02:33 am »
+23

I think the answer is, it doesn't really mean anything. The Madman pile isn't part of the supply, so it doesn't matter where you put it. You could have Hermit in the kingdom and just leave Madman in the box, and when anyone needs to gain a Madman you go back to your games cupboard and get a Madman out of it, and you're still playing by the rules. You could put Madman on the table next to the Duchies and Curses in a game without Hermit, and you're still playing by the rules.

Also, you could put the Madman pile in a solid wooden chest reinforced by straps of steel, which can only be opened using three seperate keys, which have been hidden all across the kingdom, and stash that chest away deep into the dark, gloomy caves that spread deep below the haunted woods at the far western border of the kingdom. One day, a lone hermit would find a mysterious note talking about a treasure hidden away generations ago, a treasure so magnificent that the minds of those looking upon it would break and crumble. The hermit had always led a solitary life in a small hut a couple of miles from the capital, and had long lost his craving for earthly riches. Every now and again, he would make a trip to the capital, selling herbs and picking up essentials that he needed to live a decent life. Over the years, he has come to despise the city dwellers and their greed more and more, and kept on postponing these trips for as long as possible.

Yet as he reads those lines, a desire fills him that he has never previously known. This is when he knows: He must find that hidden treasure! He sets out to a long, perilous journey. The author of the note is supposedly a scholar from an academy that has dedicated itself to the study of the ancient history of the kingdom. But as he enters their halls, he finds that noone has heard the name written on that scratch of paper. It is only when he talks to the head librarian, an aged man who had been working in the academy for decades, that the name seems to ring a bell. The librarian frowns as he hears it, and tells the hermit that the woman he is looking for had been expelled from the academy 36 years ago after months where it became more and more apparent that she started to lose her senses, writing articles that increasingly lacked coherence and fancying herself a warrior from ancient times reborn.

The hermit is pointed to an asylum not far outside the town. That is where he meets the old woman, sitting in the corner of her room, her head completely shaved. "She kept gnawing on them, pulling them out, and it would unsettle our other patients", explained the nurse. As the hermit shows her the piece of paper, the eyes that had been staring into the distance ever since he entered the room suddenly fixed on him. "You found it?", she croaked. Under her incoherent muttering, the hermit can only make out that she has found one of the keys and buried in in the academy garden just before she was taken away. She also tells him that a second key was suppedly in the hands of a witch living in the swamps to the north. "Because they could not seal away the treasure without magic, no they couldn't, and had to dabble into dark arts... I know it, I have seen it... horrible, horrible things... they asked her, but they had to pay the price... I had to pay the price..."

The hermit sneaks into the academy at night, and indeed, as he digs through the wet earth, he suddenly feels cold metal. It is a silver key that is engraved with skulls and bones. The hermit shudders, but does not give up on his task, not when he has just gotten a lot closer.

The hermit follows the way through the swamps, hoping to find the witch, if she was still alive. He finds the huge dead tree exactly where the mad scholar described it, a dim light glowing from within through the murkiness of the swamps. The tree's bark is standing open at one side, and it appears the the tree is hollow within. He can see a fully furnished room inside, and lying on the bed a beautiful young woman, a candle by her side and apparently reading in a old book.

The hermit approaches cautiously. As the woman lays her eyes upon him, she says "Do I have a visitor?" Despite the young body, her voice sounds like that of an ancient woman, more dead than alive. The hermit asks her about the treasure, and a spark of anger enters her eyes. "I have exhausted... my powers.... most of my powers to seal it... my magic is nearly gone now, as is my life." She refuses to tell him where the key is. Suddenly, a mad frenzy overcomes the hermit, and he grabs the candle on the bedside table and brings the flame close to her left eye. The witch screams in agony. "Tell me!", he demands. Then he sees the necklace the witch is wearing: A key is dangling on it just like the one he found in the garden. Triumphantly, he rips the necklace off her. "Where is the third one?" he yells as the candlewax pours on the witch's eye. Then he pulls the candle to her hair and watches as they burn. "Please stop!", the witch yells. " I will tell you."

Later, the hermit stumbles through the woods, shattered. What had he done? Was this all worth it? But the desire in his heart grew fiercer than ever, and his feet lead him to the lake that the witch described. It was already the middle of the night on this cold november day, but the hermit just jumps into the water, diving deep, looking for the final key. He has to get up for air several times, and after each time, he gets greedier, his dives becomng ever longer, his hands wandering through the muddy bottom of the lake. After almost an our of searching this way, finally, his hands close on a metal object. At the same time, he can no longer take it, open the mouth to breathe, but only swallows a large bit of water. Using his last energy reserves, he struggles to the surface, almost passing out on the way.

Nothing can stop him now. He knows where he is going, and he lets nothing stop him. Days after days he walks through the land never stopping to sleep, not for food or water. His mind now knows but one thing: the mysterious treasure. Freezing, starved and sleep-deprived, he reaches the forest, and continues on. He looks at the trees around him... they look sinister. Do they want to take his treasure? He could not let them! He picks up the pace, now running, screaming at the top of his lungs "You won't get it! It is mine! Mine alone!" He not realized anymore where he is going, running in circles, every tree looking the same, hardly any light reaching through the thickly-layered leaves. The last of his sanity leaves the hermit, and he never reaches the treasure he was hoping to find.

...and you're still playing by the rules.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 09, 2016, 10:42:13 am »

Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: April 09, 2016, 11:41:58 am »
+3

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 10, 2016, 06:33:21 pm »
+1

"You won't get it! It is mine! Mine alone!"
...and you're still playing by the rules.
Clearly not, if you're trying to get a Mine instead of a Madman.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 11, 2016, 03:03:14 pm »

@Dingan: because putting all 10 out is simpler and doesn't require extra rules that say "put 1 out, unless there are these special cases where you do indeed need all 10".  It's just a simple "put them out when Hermit is in the game".

I just did this in a game with Highway, Grand Market, Scheme, and Hermit. I kept the Hermits for gains, getting Madmen constantly and eventually getting enough Highways to do crazy Grand market gains. My opponent resigned immediately.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 24, 2016, 10:26:05 am »
+2

New puzzle:

My opponent plays an Attack (let's say something fairly harmless, like Fortune Teller), and I play a Caravan Guard from my hand.  I then call Coin of the Realm off my mat, even though the extra Actions it gives me are meaningless during my opponent's turn.  Why?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 24, 2016, 10:33:41 am »
+6

New puzzle:

My opponent plays an Attack (let's say something fairly harmless, like Fortune Teller), and I play a Caravan Guard from my hand.  I then call Coin of the Realm off my mat, even though the extra Actions it gives me are meaningless during my opponent's turn.  Why?
You can draw your deck and you'd rather have $1 than two actions that you don't need.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1813
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 24, 2016, 03:34:11 pm »

New puzzle:

Your opponent played a spy, putting a province on top of your deck, in a game with peddler. He then played swindler. You were playing BM and your opponent swindled your estate into a COTR. It's near the end of the game and you greened a little to much and you need the extra cash as much as possible and you have no actions in your deck other then a caravan guard that was given to you by a swindler after he trashed your silver.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: April 24, 2016, 03:41:54 pm »

New puzzle:

You are going to play Storyteller, then Horn of Plenty for a mid-turn gain and you want COTR in play to boost your Horn of Plenty.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: April 25, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »

New puzzle:

You can draw your deck and you'd rather have $1 than two actions that you don't need.

Coin of the Realm doesn't get cleaned up until the end of your turn (I think), so you wouldn't have it available to play for cash that turn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 25, 2016, 02:13:46 pm »

New puzzle:

You are going to play Storyteller, then Horn of Plenty for a mid-turn gain and you want COTR in play to boost your Horn of Plenty.

You could do that on your turn after the Storyteller.  But HoP could work if you have no other Action card in hand.

Another solution: your opponent already played Possession and you have multiple terminals in hand.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: April 25, 2016, 03:13:59 pm »
+1

New puzzle:

You could do that on your turn after the Storyteller.  But HoP could work if you have no other Action card in hand.

Another solution: your opponent already played Possession and you have multiple terminals in hand.

HoP gets played as part of the resolution of Storyteller, before you have an opportunity to call CotR. You are playing HoP in your action phase because you want to gain some card and then draw and play it. But yeah, no actions at all is simpler.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 18 queries.