Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (Game over, Ice Mafia win!)  (Read 140896 times)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (DAY 2 START!!)
« Reply #725 on: November 11, 2013, 10:43:40 pm »

The flaw in your reasoning, yuma, is that town should not vote for scumslips. Easy-peasy now. Note how I called out Robz D1 for this. He should know better by now.

yet town players keep doing it... in every single game... I mean... if I voted Robz for that reason it would be a policy lynch and while I am in favor of that policy I don't know if it is the best way to hit scum today.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 11, 2013, 10:53:08 pm »

yuma, you didn't mention scum doing it because they think they won't be held accountable and because they think they can sell "just really believing he scum slipped". looking for fake reasons to vote for someone it what scum does! what's more fake than an innocent wording error?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 11, 2013, 10:54:44 pm »

As scum, I totally jumped all over the famous <b>slip</b>. My partner (in a two-man team) started the case. You (scum) didn't hold either of us accountable for it.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 11, 2013, 10:57:59 pm »

As scum, I totally jumped all over the famous <b>slip</b>. My partner (in a two-man team) started the case. You (scum) didn't hold either of us accountable for it.

Yes, but the question is how to differentiate.

every single other player out there except for liopoil all thought it was a slip as well and reacted the exact same way...

So that was... 2 scum, 1 SK, 1 town in a 13 player game... 2 scum in 10 town? There wasn't a way to hold you two accountable without holding all of the others accountable... might as well just do a random lynch at that point.

Do you see what I am saying.

It isn't exactly the same here, but it is very close as nearly everyone thought faust was scummy, even if they weren't voting for him.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 11, 2013, 11:01:07 pm »

And here, we have four scum. My point holds.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 11, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »

And here, we have four scum. My point holds.

That is true. But again... how to differentiate? We do have a greater chance of hitting mafia I suppose, but how do I make sure that we do? I mean look at it this way... How do I differentiate say Robz and Geo. Both thought faust was scummy because of the "slip". Or Jimmm? Or sudgy? Or all the other votes on faust? I do get what you are saying here. I just don't think it is as black and white as you are saying, "you should be voting for Robz or someone like him." Because to me it isn't black and white. There are other factors that I haven't had time to go into and look at, but hope to do so soon.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 11, 2013, 11:10:29 pm »

By whatever you think is best. If you're town, four (4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) of them are scum. If you don't find the best way to pick out scum, it's ok. You have a 50% shot today if you go random.

And if you're scum you can still help us find the other two.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 12, 2013, 12:24:37 am »

Just as a point of reference, I didn't lynch faust for the scumslip.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 12, 2013, 12:27:07 am »

Also, I have never seen yuma like this before.  It's pretty strange.  That doesn't speak to his alignment though sadly.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 12, 2013, 12:52:45 am »

Well, I've got a lot to say. I've been avoiding this thread because it makes me angry. I'll be more specific: Voltaire, you are making me angry. Like out of my mind punch-my-fist-through-my-computer angry. And I rarely get too upset in these games, butI just have such a visceral, furious response to your posts that it's like impacting stuff.

Normally I would probably just try to ignore this and move on, but I think what's twisting the knife particularly deeply is that you are the IC. Which in essence means that I know your motives are "pure", and this is actually making it worse. Like, I could shrug it off if I could just chalk up your behavior to a scum tactic. (It has worked for scum before--ehunt did this to me as scum in M-XVI, and I wrongly thought he was town the rest of the game.) Like in M31, I was legitimately frustrated with you, but part of that was because I did genuinely think you were the Serial Killer, and you were enacting a shrewd strategy to destroy me. Well you weren't the SK, but you were part of an opposite faction so you had some legitimate cause to provoke me.

Okay, this game. I am quite sick of hearing stuff like this from you:

The flaw in your reasoning, yuma, is that town should not vote for scumslips. Easy-peasy now. Note how I called out Robz D1 for this. He should know better by now.

My reaction to this is "Well f--- you." And I did already try to explain to you my position on this, and you told me

No. Never happens. Not in 3095u309520396820393 million years.

Like I would be happy to continue discussing this with you--that's what we should do when we disagree--but man, you are SO frustrating here. Maybe it's just because in my head I can't fall back on, "Maybe he's trying to push my buttons because he's scum" that it's getting to me, but it's really getting to me.

Sure, odds were always against my not-to-self explanation. The problem is, I didn't see any good explanation from faust as to why it happened. There should be some reason for it, it's not something you accidentally type. Yuma's explanation was a fine one, but yuma made it, not faust.

And this has nothing to do with scumslips as like a genre. I understand that they have now almost always yielded mislynches, fine fine, but this... well it wasn't really a scumslip. He wrote something that didn't make any sense for a town-aligned person to write, and he gave no explanation for why a town-aligned person DID write it.

ALSO--and well I will forgive you for not finding this persuasive, but I must insist it nonetheless--I did not expect faust to be lynched without me being able to reflect on my vote more. I thought the rest of the case was stupid, and said so. I had recently come over from the sudgy wagon on the basis of the "slip" alone. Sure, I'm responsible for his death, but you and yuma ask how anyone could ever lynch over something like this again, and the honest answer is I hadn't yet committed lynching the guy, though what he had said up to that point justified my vote.

Obviously this is all a little stupid at this point. He was town, he wrote it anyway, I don't understand why, okay, but obviously I was wrong.

Still, Voltaire, if you want me to engage with you, you need to like hear me out without just dismissing stuff in the most arrogant ways possible. And I note that it's not just me feeling like this--yuma is also feeling this way:

hey... you using inflammatory language that i find rather offensive in regard to me... you bet i am going to react emotionally. not to manipulate you but because i am a person with emotions.

And you're like refusing to vote for anyone else? COME ON MAN--WE NEED YOU TO LIKE TURN DOWN THE BLINDERS.

I actually lean null-town on yuma, all things considered. Scum hammers in shrewd and calculated ways; town hammers at inopportune and frustraitng moments. To me, hammering faust seems like it would be taking a risk for very little reward.*

Yuma's hedging has been sort of scummy, I grant you, but well his actions are sort of just weird to have to explain regardless.

But anyway, I feel like my read on yuma is a little polluted, because you Voltaire are bullying him and it makes me sympathetic to him and it throws off my read. So stop it please.

*Actually I did come up with a possible reason for scum!yuma to do this--I should think that yuma hammering in such a sort of surface scummy way like that makes him more likely to survive the night, since the scum team (or the non-yuma team, if yuma is scum) probably looks at him as a strong non-them lynch candidate for the next day.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: November 12, 2013, 01:45:24 am »

Alright, I feel better having said all that... and I really hope you don't take it personally, Voltaire. I really wouldn't want to like reverse things and end up having you feel unwelcome. I hope that's not the case.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 12, 2013, 01:54:54 am »

And now the other thing: My growing suspicion that Eevee is scum.

Reasons:

1). It's a feeling. Eevee usually screams town to me. He always screams town to me. He's almost always town. He feels a lot different here.

2). He's said some jarringly weird or non-Eevee things (like the Star Wars thing).

3). I was not the only one who thought this. Ashersky was very vocal about how odd Eevee was acting.

Eevee's different this game.  Changing up a meta?  Lots of null reads and jokes, no buddying OR scum reads.  Hmmmm...

And ashersky died.

4). His most recent long-ish post stakes out very rational ground, a well thought out and written opinion on yuma... that nonetheless concludes yuma is scum, but leaves himself room for doubt. It's hard to tell whether he's like just townie legitimiately unsure and torn up about why yuma did what he did, or scum positioning for a yuma lynch.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 12, 2013, 01:55:11 am »

Vote: Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 12, 2013, 07:22:27 am »

What Robz said. 

Voltaire, you are supposed to be leading us, and having narrow-minded focus on a rage-vote (sure there are other reasons but it really, really looks to be 70% rage-vote) is not good for town.  Before you try to continue on about why this is more like 25% rage vote, let me remind you about some of the things you said:
I have ABCD statements from: Voltgloss, faust, 2.7, Gveoniz, Robz, sudgy, and Eevee.

I still need them from: liopoil, Archetype, ashersky, Yuma, NHSederholm

Spoiler alert: I'd like us to lynch a lurker. Freakin' post, people.
I'm leaving now. Let the record show that I currently lean towards thinking both sudgy and faust are town (agree with yuma). Make of that what you will.
1) You agreed with yuma, and believe what you will about yuma's claim that he misread this (from yuma's reaction to everything I really do believe yuma on this.  It also makes me begin to lean much more on yuma being town) but the thing is, before yuma hammered, you weren't against him, you were even beginning to vouch for him and his ideas. 
2) Voting yuma also goes against your initial thoughts to lynch a lurker.

Reviewing these points makes me believe that your vote is actually more like 90% rage-vote.  Rage-voting is never good for town, and while I trust you are the doctor, your posts are causing me to not trust your lead

Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 12, 2013, 07:26:08 am »

And now the other thing: My growing suspicion that Eevee is scum.

Reasons:

1). It's a feeling. Eevee usually screams town to me. He always screams town to me. He's almost always town. He feels a lot different here.

2). He's said some jarringly weird or non-Eevee things (like the Star Wars thing).

3). I was not the only one who thought this. Ashersky was very vocal about how odd Eevee was acting.

Eevee's different this game.  Changing up a meta?  Lots of null reads and jokes, no buddying OR scum reads.  Hmmmm...

And ashersky died.

4). His most recent long-ish post stakes out very rational ground, a well thought out and written opinion on yuma... that nonetheless concludes yuma is scum, but leaves himself room for doubt. It's hard to tell whether he's like just townie legitimiately unsure and torn up about why yuma did what he did, or scum positioning for a yuma lynch.
Points 1 and 2 I can't really comment on.  I don't have the experience to know Eevee's meta (or anyone's for that matter)
Points 3 and 4 are convincing though.  A good response from Eevee is in order, I think.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 12, 2013, 07:56:29 am »

I have a feeling that everything voltaire said is well considered by himself and would be helpful later. (In a currently unsure way for me).

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 12, 2013, 08:43:04 am »

A lot of commentary while I was away, but easy answers first.  I said 1/3 were scum, and since 4/8 (removing myself and Voltaire) are scum, the chances that I am correct are decent.  Saying 2/3 is less likely to be accurate, even in the narrowed lynch pool (I am sure Archetype will argue for 4/8 excluding himself and Voltaire) that we have. 
Now, since we both think the other is mafia and claim innocence, I will change the odds to 4/9 for both of us.  But that just makes Archetypes claim further from the straight percentage of scum among us.

Fair enough, but I am more interested in hearing the answer to my other question.

First 2.7 decides that a group of players must include scum... he doesn't include why that group must include scum though. he just states it as a fact and then moves on to discuss the individual players which is fine in a way, but 2.7 just completely eliminates the rest of the player pool in a way that looks far too convenient to me. Maybe there is scum in this group of three, it isn't me. I don't know about the other two. But I see no reason given by him as to why he is focusing on us three except that perhaps it doesn't include him or his scum partner.

Which I note doesn't actually have a question in it.

So I will ask it now. Why do you think that one of the last three voters of faust "must be scum?" what separates us from say... the first three voters of faust, or the "players not on faust"
Fair enough.  Basically I am playing the odds.  We are at a point where 4/10 players are mafia.  Take away the Doc and we have 4/9.  Of those 9 players, 5 of them voted for faust, and 3 of those 5 survived D1 and were the final 3 votes.  It is safe to assume that at least one of those players is mafia.  Saying that you have a 1/3 shot of finding mafia in any given sampling of those 5 players is not unreasonable.  Now, it is always slightly ambitious (if I may keep using that word) to say you know anything for certainty in this game, but the odds are in my favor for this one.
Also, I want to add another caveat to this that I have thought about as I review posts before I am called out on it.  At this point, you are able to pick any 3 players at random excluding Voltaire and write the same little blurb about why you think at least one of those players is mafia.  So my reasoning above is kind of scummy going by saying I am "merely playing the odds" when it is clear that my target was Archetype in that group.  I picked those three because they work with the theories that I have in mind.  Remember, we can only lynch one at a time, so I could have just as easily come from the "those who didn't vote faust" side and ended up on a player like Eevee.  Just because you want one player lynched does not mean others are not mafia, it is merely the next step in the process.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:53 am »

Just as a point of reference, I didn't lynch faust for the scumslip.

No... you lynched him for finding a scummy statement by you to be scummy. Not sure which is worse.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (GAME IS ON DAY 1 START!!)
« Reply #743 on: November 12, 2013, 09:33:13 am »

Current D2 post count:
Voltaire
Yuma
Robz888
liopoil
Eevee
sudgy
Archetype
Gveoniz
Jimmmmm

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 12, 2013, 09:40:01 am »

For all of you telling me that I don't have a good reason for voting yuma, and those of you who lean townie or null on yuma, can you please tell me why you think town!yuma hammered a town read? We've heard yuma's explanation, I want to hear yours.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 12, 2013, 09:42:46 am »

e has rocketed up the scum ladder today.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:44 am »

Robz's big post

Robz, first, you can't say

My reaction to this is "Well f--- you."

and then

Alright, I feel better having said all that... and I really hope you don't take it personally, Voltaire. I really wouldn't want to like reverse things and end up having you feel unwelcome. I hope that's not the case.

and expect me to believe you. Town or scum, you intended for me to take that big post personally. I mean, you said f--- you! You really can't get more personal unless you use real-life details about me.

But it's ok! Because I think you made that post to further your win-con. Because here's the thing. You, as scum, try to discredit me. Like in M31, where you said I was looking for kindergarten-level scum play. That had, for those listening, identified like 4/5 of Robz's team or something (note I don't think the play was actually kindergarten, it was very good, I mean, his team won and Robz deserves the MVP he got for it. More importantly, he beat me!). So how does scum!Robz discredit an IC here? All he's really got is emotions. Like those above, which really can't be in the same sentence if they're to be believed.

Also, for everyone saying I used inflammatory language, I did! About the lynch! Yes, absolutely, I understand those of you who say "but innately that also means you're talking about the people voting for the lynch," but I know there is a difference. Like I said, town voted to lynch faust. There's only 4 scum. It took more than 4 scum to lynch faust. We know that town players voted for faust.

All of this would be simpler if yuma hadn't hammered faust. Now it's a confusing mess. You have to understand my frustration with yuma, if he is town. If he is scum, then he's made a high-risk, high-reward action that appears to be paying off for him right now.

Like I said, I'll happily hunt for the rest of the scum with everyone else. I'd prefer we lynch yuma, of course, but let's not waste the day!

I also claim no perfect record. I have participated in bad mislynches. I have been manipulated by scum. I have been targeted by ICs. For anyone who doesn't like my play here, either try to improve it and help town win without telling me to fuck myself, or just wait until a future game when you get to be one.  :)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 12, 2013, 10:17:47 am »

I would also like to note those using this against me are the only two players I have voted for today, so they definitely have an OMGUS air about them.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 12, 2013, 10:48:45 am »

Also Robz did you answer this?

Robz, you said you think we'll find more scum off of faust's wagon (that'd be Jimmmmm, e, Gveo, and Eevee). Why?

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 12, 2013, 11:03:13 am »

e has rocketed up the scum ladder today.
I was going to do 2.7 reread anyway. I will post what I think here.
He is still notably active and contributing for a new player, but apart form occasional mention of his newness, quite confident. (perhaps it just a difference in style, being a semi-new player myself I find myself unable to express myself in a certain and confident way)

I also for no reason at all feel some manipulativeness, but I would need more time to look into that to make sure that I was not plainly under the influence of this:
So my reasoning above is kind of scummy going by saying I am "merely playing the odds" when it is clear that my target was Archetype in that group.
(By the way, that statement nearly make be want to accuse him for that reason when I didn't looked at the whole post carefully enough.)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 20 queries.