Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Double Throne Room  (Read 17578 times)

nevhir

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Double Throne Room
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:24:21 am »

Hello.

This happened to me in a game and we couldn't get to an agreement nor find the answer over the net. Hope you can help me.

If you play a throne room with a second throne room, do you have to declare which two actions will be copied before any one of them does or do you do that one at a time? The point is, if the first action card you play makes you draw any card, could any of those new cards be the second card that would be copied or it has to be one that was initially in your hand?

Thanks.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Double Throne Room
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:27:55 am »

If you play a throne room with a second throne room, do you have to declare which two actions will be copied before any one of them does
No.

edit: and welcome to the forums.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:29:19 am »
+1

Short answer: No, you don't have to announce before. Yes, you can play an action you drew with the first doubled action.

Long answer:
Throne Room makes you play a card from your hand twice. If that card is a throne room, you "play a card from your hand twice" twice. You execute the first instance of "play a card from your hand twice" fully before you start with the second.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:50:47 am »
+1

Hello.

This happened to me in a game and we couldn't get to an agreement nor find the answer over the net. Hope you can help me.

If you play a throne room with a second throne room, do you have to declare which two actions will be copied before any one of them does or do you do that one at a time? The point is, if the first action card you play makes you draw any card, could any of those new cards be the second card that would be copied or it has to be one that was initially in your hand?

Thanks.

Welcome! :)

Others have answered correctly; note that it will help you to remember this: Throne Room does NOT "double" the effects of an action you choose. Rather, it makes you play that action, which includes doing everything that action says to do, and then play that action a second time, which includes doing everything that action says to do (a second time).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:18:35 pm »

And for a quick example:

Your hand is Throne Room, Throne Room, Smithy, Copper, Copper. You play Throne Room 1, selecting Throne Room 2. The first time you play Throne Room 2 you select Smithy, drawing 6 cards. Lets say one of these cards is Market. You may now select the Market for the second play of Throne Room 2.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:43:20 pm »
+5

And for a quick example:

Your hand is Throne Room, Throne Room, Smithy, Copper, Copper. You play Throne Room 1, selecting Throne Room 2. The first time you play Throne Room 2 you select Smithy, drawing 6 cards. Lets say one of these cards is Market. You may now select the Market for the second play of Throne Room 2.

I'm sure we're getting way overly clarifying here, but I cringe a tiny bit when I see "select Smithy, drawing 6 cards"... that's the whole source of confusion right there. I'd much rather say "select Smithy, drawing 3 cards. Then play Smithy again, drawing another 3 cards."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 06:57:22 pm »

And keep in mind that, even if you play the same card twice due to Throne Room, that does not double the effect from effects that say "while this is in play" (e.g. Goons, Haggler) because only one copy of the card is in play, even though it was played twice by Throne Room.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:18 am »
+1

And keep in mind that, even if you play the same card twice due to Throne Room, that does not double the effect from effects that say "while this is in play" (e.g. Goons, Haggler) because only one copy of the card is in play, even though it was played twice by Throne Room.

Goons and Haggler being examples from the expansions Prosperity and Hinterlands respectively.

As for an example from the base set where an action is not simply doubled.  If you play Throne Room with a Witch, you do not pass out two Curses a piece in turn order.  Rather, you pass out one Curse a piece in turn order.  Then you do that again.  This distinction is important in a 3 or 4 player game if the Curses run out during your turn.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 05:23:09 am »

And Herbalist, I believe.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 10:22:57 am »

And some time, be carefull due to you have to play an action you not know yet if you can.
If your hand is Throne Room, Throne Room, Colony, Colony and steward.
You play throne Room, You choose throne Room, and you choose steward and first you choose +2 cards, you draw Colony, Remake and for the second steward you choose +2 cards, you draw Colony, Colony.
Now you have in hand one remake and 5 colonies and you have to play twice your remake, loosing 4 colonies !

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:50 pm »

For more extreme clarification this applies to any card that gives you a choice. When you play a Cellar with Throne Room you can discard and draw and then discard and draw again, using cards you drew from Cellar the first time. There aren't many base cards where this matters but the expansions have a lot where it becomes relevant.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:25:01 am by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:33 pm »
+9

I keep seeing people try to clarify this rather elementary rules question while referring to scenarios and cards from the expansions.  I just don't see the value in that.  If someone has this confusion with how Throne Room works, it seems potentially alienating and obfuscating to assume that he or she has familiarity with the expansions.
Well you *do* need a signature...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 12:48:14 am »

Agreed. Simple questions can have simple answers. You don't have to bring up every possible case from all the expansions...

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 01:23:12 am »

I keep seeing people try to clarify this rather elementary rules question while referring to scenarios and cards from the expansions.  I just don't see the value in that.  If someone has this confusion with how Throne Room works, it seems potentially alienating and obfuscating to assume that he or she has familiarity with the expansions.

I'm sorry, I didn't even think about that. I'll edit my post accordingly. I felt like generalizing to "cards that give you choices" would make it a little more obvious why double Throne Room works the way it does.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:26:26 am by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 06:04:47 pm »

And for a quick example:

As a matter of fact, you actually must select the Market for the second play of Throne Room 2 if you did not drew any other actions, even if you don't want to because it might trigger a reshuffle or whatever, as there is no may-clause on Throne Room.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 20 queries.