Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Double Tactician  (Read 2658 times)

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
Double Tactician
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:54:10 am »

I just played this board that looked perfect for Double Tactician since there were Festivals, Highway, Lab, Market, Smugglers, and Fortune Teller. I narrowly escaped with a win thanks to some late game luck as my opponent built mainly for Labs and perhaps stalled just enough. I'm fairly certain this is a perfect board for Double Tactician, but I'm not sure that I went about it the right way. I had a hard time prioritizing cards really. Smugglers almost hurt me a bit in the beginning I feel like, because he kept buying Labs and I really didn't need card draw yet, just virtual coin. I bought the second Tactician on turn 9, which I think was the correct move, but maybe even earlier would've been better.

Looking back, I shouldn't have bothered with Shanty Town I think, because most of the times it came up with one of my Tacticians. I wanted to open Fortune Teller/Smugglers but was worried about terminal collision, but maybe I should've chanced it.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts and/or suggestions on how people would approach this - thanks!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/30/game-20130130-064421-21d2723a.html

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Double Tactician
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:12:26 am »
+1

I would skip double Tactician and go for the Highway + Market synergy. There's non-terminal card draw in the form of Lab and Smugglers should help you out in a mirror. Maybe get 1 Tactician to draw some big hands; I don't see the need to get 2, though, since once your deck gets rolling with Highways, Markets, and Labs, either the game is close to a 3-pile or you can get several Provinces in a turn.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:16:36 am »

Turn 7:  Buy Festival/Fortune Teller.  This is your first mistake.  You already have a +Buy and a +Action from Tactician, you don't need these from Festival.  Market will do everything better than Tactician for this game.  The only forseable reason for Festival is the potential to Smuggle multiple Provinces.  In reality though, this game will end on a single mega-turn so there is 0 need for a village.  The attack is also marginal at best.

You want most all of your $5 purchases to be Highway/Market.  If you don't load up on cards like Festival, Smugglers, etc. that don't have +Card, you do not need labs (maybe 1 or 2 max) to ensure Dub Tac.  For this deck you I would suggest getting 4/5 Highways before getting your second Tactician, that way, Highways can easily be bought with virtual money/buys from Market.

Again on Turn 9, same comments.  You really want to pound those Highway/Market piles.

Turn 16:  Don't buy Duchies here, there are lot's of Markets in the supply  ;)  Your deck is better.  Keep building toward that pile-driving megaturn.

Think of it this way.  If you had bought a Market instead of a Duchy, you gain a Card that gives +Buy.  With your 6 Highways, that +Buy will translate into a free Duchy on your last turn because Duchies will cost 0.  Wait to add the green to your deck until you're ready to make the plunge and win on a single huge turn.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:24:16 am »

For this game you are looking at one (or two) big turns with markets and highways, started with either a tactician or lots of labs. Investing too many turns buying drawing cards could lose the highway split and that's probably bad news on this board. Once you've got the highways you just want to use them and single tactician turns are good enough (or you can finish off in any style you like).

You made a different feeling deck with festivals and terminal actions trying to push up your spending. This doesn't draw through the deck quickly as quickly as markets, so you get less highways in play and lose the point of highways lowering the costs.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:09 am »

Thanks for the input everyone. I think maybe I was drawn a bit into this strategy without really thinking about the speed of this board. I can definitely see that I overlooked Market here. Appreciate the thoughts!

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:43 am »

How much worse/harder to pull off is a Double tactician board without Vault/Secret Chamber/Black Market than with one of those? It seems to me that it can't really be a perfect double tact board without one.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 11:34:26 am »
+1

How much worse/harder to pull off is a Double tactician board without Vault/Secret Chamber/Black Market than with one of those? It seems to me that it can't really be a perfect double tact board without one.

Throw in a Village, Virtual Money and Sifting and it's actually quite doable.  Warehouse and Conspirator are both superb choices for their function.  Fishing Village provides both Village and +Coin.  When running a double tactician like that, it also helps to have some sort of attack present.  Being able to play the same attack every turn is nothing to scoff at.  Depending on the power of the attack, you can give yourself a few more turns of leeway with consistent attacks.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:40 am »
+3

if you have never pulled off a double tactician deck without one of those cards then you have never truly lived my friend.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:55:47 am »

Storeroom is even better than Secret Chamber, since you get the buy and are all but guaranteed to reach your second Tactician.
Well you *do* need a signature...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:12 pm »

How much worse/harder to pull off is a Double tactician board without Vault/Secret Chamber/Black Market than with one of those?

It is pretty hard to pull off with counts and villages, but I have done it! I needed watchtowers as well eventually to draw my hand back up to 6 cards.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »

I don't even think Black Market is that good of an enabler. You still need mild trashing or sifting on top of maybe villages. No doubt it is good, but I've built weirder double Tactician decks before.

unlinked

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 05:11:58 pm »

I realized I could probably pull of the Double Tactician in this set yesterday. My opponent mirrored the strategy. Lost by a duchy.

cards in supply: Bazaar, Counting House, Gardens, Margrave, Nomad Camp, Salvager, Tactician, Trading Post, Treasury, and Wishing Well

The set had good draws, village, virtual money, and the attack.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20130130-192444-21e7d175.html
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.