Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28  All

Author Topic: Dear My Opponent: I am Sorry  (Read 325561 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Dear My Opponent: I am Sorry
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:59:40 am »
+5

Okay, this is a thread to post games where you did something that made you actually feel sorry for your opponent. Post the game, explain why you are sorry, and let discussion ensue. Here's one to get the ball rolling:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110724-031944-b624ac7c.html

The score graph says it all. I build a Scrying Pool deck that can comfortably draw itself every single turn, with King's Courts thrown in for good measure. I then pull the only Possession out of the Black Market and proceed to play 4 times as many turns as my opponent does for the rest of the game. Rubric3, I am sorry. Thanks for sticking it out until the end though!

rls22

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: Dear My Opponent: I am Sorry
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:58:40 pm »
+1

I have a fondness for decks with 3-4 Torturers in them...  I always feel a little bad for my opponents when I get them going (particularly if they're newer/lower-ranked and it may be the first time it's happening to them).  Sucks to be consistently hit with multiple Torturers every turn.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:24:43 pm »

One game from a long time ago: KC-Saboteur-ambassador-pirate ship stuff. I forgot what was the card that tied them together, but I am at a point where I can feed my opponent 6 coppers a turn, pirate 3, and sabotage 3 times. The game went to a point where the card he bought was immediately sabotaged and he could almost never draw it in hand, while my pirate ships grew to $10 or something.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »
+1

I remember once reducing my deck down to chapel, pirate ship, bazaar, saboteur, saboteur. My opponent was ostensibly winning and it would have been a risk for me to buy any cards since my opponent could potentially sabotage my pirate ship and leave me without any spending. On the other hand his deck wasn't progressing as I could sabotage and pirate each turn. He quit in rage eventually, which is rather sad as he should have won by buying a high cards, letting them sabotage down as victory points, and exhausting three piles.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:54:36 pm »

I have a fondness for decks with 3-4 Torturers in them...  I always feel a little bad for my opponents when I get them going (particularly if they're newer/lower-ranked and it may be the first time it's happening to them).  Sucks to be consistently hit with multiple Torturers every turn.

Yes, I feel immediately sorry for the Torturer scenario.  As soon as you see Torturer + a source of 2 actions... you know with 97% certainty that the game is going to be ugly, and one player isn't going to want to play dominion again for a while after it.

Losing due to torturer lock is one of the few times that I'll break my rule of "never waste a loss by ragequitting"
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 12:58:08 am »

So I really like double-Tactician decks, but of course they require cards with +$ on them otherwise you're going nowhere. Well I was playing a game where I wanted to go for such a deck, and the only virtual cash Actions were Pirate Ship and Mountebank. Salvager (technically also virtual cash I guess) and Upgrade were available for trashing, and I chose the more reliable and harmful Mountebanks for the cash. The village du jour was City, and the +2 card effect never mattered; may as well have been a normal Village.
Working with just Mountebanks for money you need 4 to buy a Province, so that's generally what I was working toward, but I didn't exactly figure out I should get 4 Mountebanks and stop playing Salvager; I bought a Gold near the end that just got Salvaged the next turn before figuring that out. Really this just dragged it out for my poor opponent, since I was playing multiple Mountebanks every turn...and then there's the real kicker: Ghost Ship. Every turn. He resigned once I bought my fourth Mountebank, and at the time he still technically had a lead of 5 points.

tl;dr: My double-Tactician deck used Mountebanks for cash, and I also was playing a Ghost Ship every turn, before the Mountebanks of course. My opponent resigned once I bought my fourth Mountebank.

Naturally you'd be wondering who would let me do all that without picking up a Ghost Ship or Mountebank for themselves...turns out it was the Larry.

Game log.

[Edit]
I think just looking at the contents of my final deck does just as much to describe my opponent's pain as my whole post does...
[13 cards] 4 Cities, 4 Mountebanks, 2 Tacticians, 1 Ghost Ship, 1 Salvager, 1 Province
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:02:18 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:06:42 am »

One more game, but I can keep this post short. This one was against mikemike, and the three relevant words are...King's Court, Ambassador. My final deck had 1 Copper and 28 other cards, his final deck had 10 Curses, 46 Coppers, and 28 other cards.
Game log.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:21:41 am »
+1

Yes, I feel immediately sorry for the Torturer scenario.  As soon as you see Torturer + a source of 2 actions... you know with 97% certainty that the game is going to be ugly, and one player isn't going to want to play dominion again for a while after it.

Losing due to torturer lock is one of the few times that I'll break my rule of "never waste a loss by ragequitting"

But isn't it only rage quitting if you post some hate/smack talk before quitting? More often now if I'm clearly losing and watching my oppenent play a 10 card chain and leaving me with nowhere to go I'll simply congratulate them for playing well and resign (only in 1 v 1, quitting in a 3/4 player game often affects the outcome).

I can take being beaten (it happens very often) but if there is nothing to learn I don't waste my time.

Perhaps we need to adopt a term for resigning gracefully to counter rage quit.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 09:25:53 am »

I often build Torturer-based draw decks and when my opponent's nag about them, I always tell them: "I need them for the draw!".

It's annoying after the Curses run out and they still have to pick if they want to discard; I guess this is only useful with:

• Menagerie
  • Library / Watchtower
  • Trade Route (you don't want to trash and it's your 3rd card to play)
  • Trading Post for the same reason, but you want to trash just 1 card
  • Shanty Town

I probably forgot some...

Harakiri? Maybe some ranking penalties for rage quits and no penalty and a nice text for graceful defeats?

"You realize you can not beat your opponent. You decide to commit Harakiri and suffer an honourable death. Your family will be looked after for the rest of their lives."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:28:58 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 02:47:54 pm »

But isn't it only rage quitting if you post some hate/smack talk before quitting? More often now if I'm clearly losing and watching my oppenent play a 10 card chain and leaving me with nowhere to go I'll simply congratulate them for playing well and resign (only in 1 v 1, quitting in a 3/4 player game often affects the outcome).

I can take being beaten (it happens very often) but if there is nothing to learn I don't waste my time.

I do my best to resign gracefully (unless I tell my opponent I intend to resign, and then he continues to play another 5 minute turn), I meant rage quitting from the perspective of being so angry I close my browser, instead of going back into the lobby and using my 1st player advantage to challenge some unsuspecting high level player.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:54:15 am »

I don't think it's THAT rude to play as if the game was carrying on until it's natural conclusion even if your opponent has told you they intend to resign. I mean, if you want to resign, go ahead when it is your turn. But there's no chance I'm dropping the Torturer lock so that you can decide you're not actually going to resign because now you've got a turn with 2 Fishing Villages and 3 Torturers in your hand.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 05:00:05 pm »

I just finished one of these.  I don't think I've ever felt more guilty playing a game of dominion before.  I had my opponent in a KK/alchemist/pirate ship/spy lock.  They didn't get on the bandwagon fast enough.  Every turn I played KK on alchemist/spy to draw my deck and find their treasure.  Then I played the KK/pirate ship to steal the treasure from their deck.  The most painful part was that there was no plus buy.  So even though my pirate ships were worth $12ish, I could only buy one colony per turn making it a slow and torturous (discard 2 or take a curse anyone...) game for them. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:24:21 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 03:52:16 am »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110807-205756-4f137a43.html

I completely dismantled this poor person's deck with a kc/sab.  I think most of us have been on the losing end of kc decks and it is a very disheartening way to lose.  On the other hand, I do not pull punches with newbies that accept auto-matches with me and it was, in my opinion anyway, the dominant strategy in this kingdom.

Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 05:04:50 pm »

I do my best to resign gracefully (unless I tell my opponent I intend to resign, and then he continues to play another 5 minute turn),

I've been that person (the one who gets told that his opponent is going to resign, and then takes a long turn).  It's a little hard for me to figure out what to do.  I mean, yes, he told me he's going to resign, and that's great and I try to play fast.  But it's some random dude on the internet, y'know?  How am I supposed to know if he'll keep his word?  I don't want to throw away a winning game because my opponent psy-opped me.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 05:10:51 pm »

I agree. If there's some way to keep a stable advantage in a quick turn, I'll do it. Or, if it's someone I know, like you, Frisk, I'll just trust you. But generally I'll play my turn.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 05:19:04 pm »

If you're in a situation where your opponent could possibly win by you skipping a turn, you're probably not in a situation where your opponent will claim he is resigning.  If you ARE in one of those situations, go right ahead and take your 5 minute turn, the game's not over yet.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »

rod-, the situation I'm thinking of is some kind of mega-pin (or maybe just a big alchemist or scrying pool chain). If you let them out of the pin, there's no telling what they could do.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

I think that there are plenty of games where you can go from essentially 100% chance of winning to, you know, 80% chance of winning by skipping a turn.  Sure, I could skip my mega-turn, and still PROBABLY win, but I want to DEFINITELY win.  I agree that that's kind of ultra-competitive and lame of me, but I'm not sure that there's an alternative.

(I note that I've played against Captain Frisk and agree that he's a gentleman and I would be happy to take his word for a resign.  But random handle I've never met?)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »

By all means, play your last turn against a random player.  The flip side of this is to truncate your megaturn any time you can safely end the game with a win.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 01:06:55 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201108/08/game-20110808-214653-119fa651.html

I also don't pull punches with newbs who accept automatches with me. And this was the first time I'd ever gotten all eight colonies, so it made me pretty happy. I appreciate the guy for hanging in there and letting me have that feeling.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:22 am »

I come from a very competitive background (Varsity/minor league baseball growing up, competitive cards, and even the competitive workplace)... so the very thought of giving my opponent a break simply does not register to me.

IMO, if it's a "rated" match, it qualifies as a competitive environment. There is nothing I would ever do to reduce my winning percentage (excluding ethics/moral issues, such as declining to abuse some programming bug, etc).

If someone is playing anonymously for a non-rated game, then sure, I'll skip my turn, heck I'd even resign myself and in my head know that I won. But if it's a rated game, even though there's really no money involved... it's rated, it's competitive. 

Someone says they'll resign on their turn? Sure go for it, but first you are going to sit through my turn, because I'm going to quad-province after my 2 min combo. If you don't like it, go take a bio break and resign when you get back, but I'm not giving away any edge. Life is tough. Nut-up Sally.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 11:30:38 am »

Speaking of beating up on Newbies, I am quite sorry about this game: 

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110807-183008-d931a3d1.html

It is never a good thing if one player gains all 5 prizes.  I was mildly disappointed that I didn't manage to get more buys on my last turn.  I should probably have used Princess on my last KC, but it only gives more buys, so I was hoping for better.

This other game I am sorry about mostly because I stumbled into this combo on accident. 

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110717-141335-8fd56ee6.html

I didn't realize what I was doing until I was already doing it.  The game started out with me thinking I was dead in the water on turn 3 drawing $1P (and all my Estates) on a Familiar board.  I was happy to take my consolation prize of back to back $5 hands which got me two Minions.  I got my first Familiar on turn 6, and then proceeded to draw all 3 Estates again.  I picked up a Lighthouse with my $2 hand, but being the mediocre player that I am, I didn't realize just how amazing it was in this setup until I started playing it.  From that point on, I blocked all incoming Familiar attacks, cycled to mine using Minions and drove the Curse split to 6-2 before my opponent decided it was over and resigned.

matt979

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 06:55:13 pm »

Dear Opponent,

In re http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110809-110704-5b121eed.html I'm sorry...

- that Scrying Pool turns take so long to play
- that your Swindler was somewhat unlucky in the early game
- that I failed to notice I could end the game on turn 15, simply by Ambassadoring you the last two Throne Rooms at the end of the turn
- that it'll probably be awhile until the next time I see Scrying Pool + University + Throne Room on the same board

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 04:02:23 pm »

I am sorry that:
- Isotropic still wants us to decide on Treasuries and Alchemists after the game has ended

I am amazed by:
- My opponent sticking around the entire game and watching me buy 8 Colonies and even saying "gg" afterwards

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

gt_peter

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:48 pm »

Dear opponent,

I am deeply sorry I trashed ALL of my treasures and let you keep buying pirate ships and thieves for some time before I pointed out the fact that I had no treasures. I'm also sorry I proceeded to buy all 8 colonies after doing so.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110701-000509-affc3c49.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.