Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Velocity Challenge: Maximum points per turn  (Read 8108 times)

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
Velocity Challenge: Maximum points per turn
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:47:42 pm »

I'm sure something like that this has been done before, but out of curiosity, whats the highest points per turn you've achieved in a solo game?

The reason I ask this, is that I was playing around with random solo sets, and managed to get 480 points in 16 turns. It was a Goons game, naturally, and I didn't select the cards at all but just played for a megaturn, with no particular goal in mind. For me, a game average of 30 points per turn is far and away the highest I've ever managed in a solo game. And this was just a random solo game...

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/19/game-20120619-163938-eb40d07c.html

So as an informal challenge, post your games with the highest points velocities.

The rules

Solo game.
Kingdom of your choice.
Game must end properly (i.e. three pile, or colonies or provinces run out, not resigning).

Your score for this challenge is your Game Score / Number of turns.

Post the link to the isotropic game.
Post as many times as you like.
Try to make sure that your score velocity is better than the poster before. So to start off, that means going for better than 30 pts/turn average.

Let's see what you got!

edit: I'm aware I haven't structured this in the normal way for a solo challenge, so if this belongs in another forum, apologies.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:56:30 pm by Asklepios »

Algebraist

• Scout
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Re: Velocity Challenge: Maximum points per turn
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:25:41 pm »
+2

A deck of village, monument, possession (plus chapel or something to have got to this state) will get you as many points as you want without advancing the turn counter at all once you're set up.

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:20:49 am »
+2

Not mine, but don't forget http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2779.0. shark_bait's solution to that challenge scores 1106 points in a mere 11 turns, for a velocity of ~100.5.

Asklepios

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 03:53:47 am »

A deck of village, monument, possession (plus chapel or something to have got to this state) will get you as many points as you want without advancing the turn counter at all once you're set up.

Explain this to me. How do you stop the turn counter advancing when there's no second player?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/19/game-20120619-190723-536f27cd.html in 16 turns

Excellent! I make that a Velocity Score of 38.5, a new benchmark.

Not mine, but don't forget http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2779.0. shark_bait's solution to that challenge scores 1106 points in a mere 11 turns, for a velocity of ~100.5.

Whoa. 100.5.

Yep, I guess nobody is going to beat that!

Algebraist

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:05:52 am »

Explain this to me. How do you stop the turn counter advancing when there's no second player?

By repeatedly possessing yourself. Possession turns don't increment the turn counter.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:51:36 am »
+5

I'll never have the time to want to put this one into practice, but here's a theoretical submission that doesn't make use of Possession-weirdness.  Kingdom:
King's Court
Throne Room
Goons
Trader
Worker's Village
Scrying Pool
Scheme
Market
Grand Market
Chapel
First empty the Silvers and trash them (and your starting deck) whilst picking up Markets.  Then empty the Goons and take up to 9 cards from every other pile.  Then every turn play your Schemed Scrying Pool to draw your deck and get 18 KC plays and 8 Throne Room plays for 3 x 18 + 2 x 8 + 10 = 80 buys with 10 Goons in play.  Revealing Trader avoids depleting any of the supply piles so you can earn 800 points a turn indefinitely, for an average velocity arbitrarily close to 800.

You might be able to avoid the Scrying Pools with clever deck stacking through Scheme, which would boost this to 890 points a turn.  If you allow perfect shuffle luck then you can skip the Schemes too, which would take you to 980 point turns.

Can you hit 1000?

Algebraist

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:38:43 am »
+2

I'll never have the time to want to put this one into practice, but here's a theoretical submission that doesn't make use of Possession-weirdness.  Kingdom:
King's Court
Throne Room
Goons
Trader
Worker's Village
Scrying Pool
Scheme
Market
Grand Market
Chapel
First empty the Silvers and trash them (and your starting deck) whilst picking up Markets.  Then empty the Goons and take up to 9 cards from every other pile.  Then every turn play your Schemed Scrying Pool to draw your deck and get 18 KC plays and 8 Throne Room plays for 3 x 18 + 2 x 8 + 10 = 80 buys with 10 Goons in play.  Revealing Trader avoids depleting any of the supply piles so you can earn 800 points a turn indefinitely, for an average velocity arbitrarily close to 800.

You might be able to avoid the Scrying Pools with clever deck stacking through Scheme, which would boost this to 890 points a turn.  If you allow perfect shuffle luck then you can skip the Schemes too, which would take you to 980 point turns.

Can you hit 1000?

You only need one each of chapel, scheme, trader, and scrying pool, so get them all from a black market. Put a young witch in the BM deck, and that gives you four more piles to work with. Stick all the +buy cards you aren't using in the black market as well, and you should be getting something like 120 buys a turn, for 1200 points.

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:24:45 am »

not nearly as the other solutions but a new personal best
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/20/game-20120620-082156-ee5b3450.html

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:11:05 pm »
+1

King's Court
Throne Room
Goons
Trader
Worker's Village
Scrying Pool
Scheme
Market
Grand Market
Chapel

Can you hit 1000?

You only need one each of chapel, scheme, trader, and scrying pool, so get them all from a black market. Put a young witch in the BM deck, and that gives you four more piles to work with. Stick all the +buy cards you aren't using in the black market as well, and you should be getting something like 120 buys a turn, for 1200 points.

Also, Black Market is effectively a +buy itself. Then, assume you draw an Outpost from the BM to double whatever total you're getting.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 03:10:09 pm »
+2

Good spot on the Black Market.  I forgot the first rule of trick Kingdom design: always put Young Witch in the Black Market.  It's especially nice that it gives pseudo-Buys here.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 03:21:03 pm »
+4

King's Court
Throne Room
Goons
Trader
Worker's Village
Scrying Pool
Scheme
Market
Grand Market
Chapel

And here is a proof-of-concept:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/20/game-20120620-121053-28a627d4.html

It takes 34 turns to set up, much of which is spent getting rid of the Silvers... I'm unsure I chose the most efficient method for that though.  Turn 35 nets 810 points.  Turn 36 I show the work for getting everything set up, but I wasn't going to spend another 162 clicks to get another 810 points, so I end the game.  There's enough proof of concept there.

I'm not sure if it's possible to stack the BM deck on Iso... if it is then Algebraist's idea would be testable as well, though it would take a lot longer to set up, as you can't really start setting up without both Chapel and Trader.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 03:58:33 pm »

Congratulations on your patience.  Quite a pretty log to scroll through at speed.

The Black Market deck is not stackable, although you can specify the Bane that will be used if Young Witch happens to show up in it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:01:07 pm by qmech »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 04:33:27 pm »

I can't take credit for this, but to cut out alot of the middle buildup - here is

80.6 points per turn: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/13/game-20111213-014547-4d8690ef.html
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:08:35 pm »

The most impressive part about that technique, in my opinion, is the Trader trick to avoid exhausting the supply. A mini-puzzle: find another way to avoid exhausting the supply with Goons.

One solution:

Return the cards you bought with Ambassador. Of course, this makes it much more difficult to draw your deck.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 03:33:28 am »

110.5 Pts/turn

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-003209-bacc2a2e.html

Edit: This is doing the puzzle with the Iso limitation of silver/copper piles  ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:38:03 am by O »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 08:44:58 am »

The most impressive part about that technique, in my opinion, is the Trader trick to avoid exhausting the supply.

Yeah, I had previously found that (separately, and I'm sure qmech and I aren't the only ones)) while trying to find a Golden Deck solution that could run for an infinite time period.  Alas, it wasn't as fast as many other golden decks.

Edit: This is doing the puzzle with the Iso limitation of silver/copper piles  ;)

But Iso doesn't actually have that limitation if you never actually purchase the copper.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 10:35:47 am »
+1

The most impressive part about that technique, in my opinion, is the Trader trick to avoid exhausting the supply.

Yeah, I had previously found that (separately, and I'm sure qmech and I aren't the only ones)) while trying to find a Golden Deck solution that could run for an infinite time period.  Alas, it wasn't as fast as many other golden decks.

But Iso doesn't actually have that limitation if you never actually purchase the copper.

155.8, but i stopped playing @ turn 13
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-073000-99e08c35.html

Note that the theoretical maximum here is close to 900.  (somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 buys and 10 goons)  You could run this forever - asymptotically approaching 900 - but the repetitive clicking of "reveal trader" is really irritating.

Basically, you want to get as many buys as possible, only drain 1 pile (goons), and then use trader to empty the silver pile.  Mine can be improved by dropping quarry (which is an early game accelerator) in favor of something with buys (market).  You could replace forge with black market, and then pick up a forge within the market + some extra buys, but I"m not going to keep re-rolling until I get a perfect market. 

From this point on, you've got 2 piles down, so your cities are active... and all you need to do is buy coppers and curses all day long, gaining nothing.

I improved on O's by dropping the watchtower and governor in favor councilroom (to guarantee deck draw and get +buy) and forge (to deal with all the trash)

Check out this epic forge:

Captain_Frisk plays a Forge.
... trashing a Forge, 6 Traders, and 40 Silvers.
... gaining nothing.

Asklepios

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 05:56:26 am »

By repeatedly possessing yourself. Possession turns don't increment the turn counter.

My mistake, didn't realise you could possess yourself!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 10:57:20 am »

Did I kill this thread?  Did I win?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 09:36:26 pm »

Optimal involves Black market with +buy cards, scheme, and Scrying Pool, ensuring that all the KC's line up to give as many buys as possible.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.