Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Geronimoo's challenges - Making history  (Read 3886 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Geronimoo's challenges - Making history
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:53:34 am »
+2

This tends to impress n00bs. Come on, you can do better. Make history, man!!!

Challenge - end the game in the fewest number of turns (points = tiebreaker). You need to score more than 1000 points and the entire board must be empty (yes, Coppers and Curses as well) either buying or gaining every card. You're allowed to choose the kingdom (Colony is allowed). The game from the intro should be a good starting point.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:47:57 pm by Geronimoo »

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Geronimoo's challenges - Making history
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:18:51 am »

Either this was too hard or you're all fed up with solo challenges because I received no entries (0, null, nothing, nada...)
I'll remove the deadline and you can post your solution right here in the thread.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:02:37 pm »
+1

Whew!!!  That was a pretty intense challenge.  Here's an 11 turn game.  I finished it with a mere 2 extra buys remaining getting pretty much the most out of my goons.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:19:58 pm »

Either this was too hard or you're all fed up with solo challenges because I received no entries (0, null, nothing, nada...)
I'll remove the deadline and you can post your solution right here in the thread.

I think it was too ill defined and your example was already so good that there wasn't much room for improvement.

meow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »
+3

I tied shark_bait using Throne Room instead of Market.  11 Turns, 1106 points:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/28/game-20120628-122235-3e91525b.html

I tried to do the "Talisman math" before the final buy phase.  I thought I would exactly use all 76 buys, but I ended up with a few (around 5 I think) left.  I suspect I could have still cleared the board playing 1 fewer Talisman, but don't feel like trying to do the post-mortem math on it.

I then spent way too long trying to get 11 turns with Throne Room + Market instead of Grand Market + Market, but couldn't make it happen.
meow @ f.ds & BSW
SpaceSquirrel @ IsoTropic

wuthefwasthat

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • The Dominion section of my blog
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:18 am »
+1

Edit:  Reading comprehension fail.  Didn't realize you had to empty piles.

1590 in 11 turns.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110525-132002-9918d98b.html

I did this a while ago, when I was thinking about a similar problem myself.  In theory, the same deck with Chancellor + insane luck instead of Chapel can cut the number of turns down by about 3, I believe.  I don't think it's too hard or lucky to get something like that - you can see that my first 7 turns aren't actually that fast.

Anyways, so I revisited this today, after seeing this thread.  Here was my result, which took under an hour:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/23/game-20120723-225820-21c18aae.html
990 in 10 turns!   ONE.  MORE.  BUY.  And I would've had it in 10 turns. 

I messed up at the very end of turn 9, by playing Ironworks for KC+Ironworks+Ironworks instead of KC+Ironworks+Council Room (like I had been doing).  Then I would've played an extra buy on that turn, and also had an extra buy on my last turn.  So I definitely could've had it in 10 turns.  I had actually realized my error then, but didn't think it would matter... Edit: and, I could've done better at other points too, like with my KC and TR order. 

Regardless, this strategy is really good.  The key is turn 6.  You should aim to have the same deck I did at the end of that turn.  Restart as soon as you can't.  You can get that lucky about every 25 times, by my rough estimate.  After that, you need much less luck.  Have fun using my method (and variants) to beat my score now!  Not that motivated to play this deck any more times... Someone else can get the 1000 in 10 turns... I promise it's not that bad!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:01:10 am by wuthefwasthat »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:40:21 pm »

1590 in 11 turns.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110525-132002-9918d98b.html

I did this a while ago, when I was thinking about a similar problem myself.  In theory, the same deck with Chancellor + insane luck instead of Chapel can cut the number of turns down by about 3, I believe.  I don't think it's too hard or lucky to get something like that - you can see that my first 7 turns aren't actually that fast.

Anyways, so I revisited this today, after seeing this thread.  Here was my result, which took under an hour:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/23/game-20120723-225820-21c18aae.html
990 in 10 turns!   ONE.  MORE.  BUY.  And I would've had it in 10 turns. 

I messed up at the very end of turn 9, by playing Ironworks for KC+Ironworks+Ironworks instead of KC+Ironworks+Council Room (like I had been doing).  Then I would've played an extra buy on that turn, and also had an extra buy on my last turn.  So I definitely could've had it in 10 turns.  I had actually realized my error then, but didn't think it would matter... and, I'm sure I could've done better at other points too.  I probably screwed up at some point on the last turn, perhaps with my KC and TR order. 

Regardless, this strategy is really good.  The key is turn 6.  You should aim to have the same deck I did at the end of that turn.  Restart as soon as you can't.  You can get that lucky about every 25 times, by my rough estimate.  After that, you need much less luck.  Have fun using my method (and variants) to beat my score now!  Not that motivated to play this deck any more times... Someone else can get the 1000 in 10 turns... I promise it's not that bad!

Some nice runs, but you haven't emptied the Silvers, Coppers, and Curses in those games.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.