Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Conspirator  (Read 24538 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Conspirator
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:16:33 pm »
+3

An homage to possibly my favorite card.  This guide is targeted to players who are familiar with the game but might not be familiar with how best to use the Conspirator card, the power of which is not necessarily immediately obvious.  No doubt the more experienced players here will be able to improve upon what I've written, but I think the basics are all here.

Building and Executing a Conspirator Engine

The simplicity of the Conspirator card belies its power.  Basically you get +2 coins, and if you play it as your third or later action in a turn, you get +1 Card and +1 Action.  Simple and seemingly meager, right?  Played as one of the first two actions, it's a Silver that eats up an action.  But that tiny little bonus you get when you play it as the third or later action means you can chain them together.  A whole sequence of Conspirators can add up to a whole lot of money, with which you can buy green.  Few Dominion cards are more aptly named:  a single Conspirator doesn't do much on its own, but a bunch of them can become a dominating power.

The main concern with a Conspirator Engine is kicking it off.  For this article, I will introduce a couple of terms:  When I say "Starter," I'm referring to that first action you will play to activate your Conspirators.  For lack of a better term, I'll call the second action the "Substarter."  Once you've played a Starter and a Substarter, your Conspirators are free to run rampant.

One of the fun things about the Conspirator Engine is how abruptly it activates:  you'll be slogging through terminal Conspirators and scraping to get 4 coins per turn and then, suddenly, you'll rip through your whole deck in a single turn!

Part 1: When the Conspirator Engine Will Work

Although the Conspirator engine is fun and powerful, it can't thrive in all environments.  Before jumping on a Conspirator engine the next time the Conspirator card shows up in a kingdom, take a few moments to make sure the conditions are right.  The following, I would argue, constitute the ideal conditions for a Conspirator Engine.  This is not to say a Conspirator Engine can't work under any other circumstances, but if you know what the best conditions are, you'll know what obstacles you'll have to overcome in other situations.

The other thing to keep in mind is that these conditions only apply to the Conspirator Engine.  If the conditions are all wrong, that doesn't mean you won't be able to make great use of one or more Conspirators as a supplement to another kind of engine.  The occasional Conspirator can make a nice addition to a Laboratory engine, for instance, or a Village/Smithy engine.  But to make a Conspirator Engine, you ideally want all of the following to be the case:

1. Conspirator.  You kind of need Conspirator in the kingdom to build a Conspirator Engine.

2. Strong trashing.  Because each Conspirator only lets you draw at most one card, you need to trim your deck as severely as you can.  You ideally want to see Chapel in there.  Single-card trashers aren't going to be fast enough.  Avoid Forge, too:  it may be a fast trasher, but you'll burn too much time building up enough money to afford it, at which point you'll then have extra money to have to get rid of, too.   Shy away from Trading Post, too:  its trashing power is good, but you don't want those Silvers.

If you don't have strong trashing, then you can substitute non-terminal sifting; that is, something that allows you to filter through the junk in your hand.  These cards include Cellar, Warehouse, and Hunting Party.

3. Absence of cursing attacks.  Cursing attacks will stop Conspirator chains dead.  That goes for Ambassador, too.

4. A good Starter card.  The best Starter cards are villages -- cards that give you +2 Actions and +1 Card.  In the absence of villages, other +2 Action cards will also work.  If there are no +2 Actions cards, you might still be able to make the engine work with simple non-terminals, but you'll have a tougher time of it.  It also helps (though, again, is not necessary) if the Starter card costs less than 4, as that gives you something to buy on turns when you don't have 4 to spend on a Conspirator.  More on Starter cards later.

5. Preferably, an absence of hand-size reduction attacks.  This is a less critical than many of the other conditions here, but I'm mentioning it anyway, as I will discuss the impact of hand size on the engine later.  But if the presence of, say, Militia, is the only less-than-ideal circumstance, your Conspirator Engine is probably okay.

6. Preferably, some source of +Buy.  When your Conspirator Engine kicks in, it may very well bring in more money than you can spend on a single buy.  So you want a source of +Buy if you can manage it, though this is not a strict requirement.  More on this later.

7. Optionally, some source of virtual +Buy.  By this I mean Talisman, Workshop, and Ironworks.  These cards can all help you obtain Conspirators and many of the best Starter cards faster in the early game.  They aren't necessary, but one, maybe two of these bought early can help you rev up your engine faster.  Once your engine is rolling, though, you'll want to trash these.

If, after surveying a kingdom, you determine a Conspirator Engine is a good fit, it's time to build one.

Part 2: Building a Conspirator Engine

One of your first two buys should be the strongest trasher on the board.  If you're going to use Talisman, Workshop, or Ironworks at all, make that your other buy.  An early Silver will help you build your engine, but be very careful about buying money:  money only clogs up a Conspirator Engine.  Whatever money you buy early might have to be trashed later.

For the whole of the early game, be singleminded about obtaining Conspirators at every possible opportunity.  I wouldn't worry about the Starter cards at first, even if you get to the point where every hand you draw comes up with clashing Conspirators.  The low cost of Conspirator and most of the Starter cards mean that it doesn't matter so much if you're not producing very much money per turn early on.

Of course if there's a plain old vanilla Village on the table, and you fail to produce the 4 coins necessary for a Conspirator, that's the perfect time to buy that Village Starter instead.  Starter cards that draw at least +1 Card cannot gum up a Conspirator Engine, so buy as many of these as you like.  But if, for example, your Starter card costs 4 or more, you should probably just stick to buying Conspirators until the pile is gone or you have the majority of them by a good margin.

Once the Conspirators are taken care of, you should, if you have not been able to do so already, get some Starter cards and preferably also some +Buy cards.  Ideally, these are the same thing:  Worker's Village makes an outstanding Starter card, because of its +Buy.

Barring that, follow the general rule that cantrips (actions with at least +1 Card and +1 Action) will not harm your Conspirator Engine.  So Market and Grand Market are both outstanding supplements to a Conspirator Engine.  Woodcutter, on the other hand, is not a great source of +Buy.

Continue to trash away your Estates and treasure cards.  Ideally, you won't have any treasure at all, though you'll be able to work around a single Silver or Gold, maybe two.  Once the Conspirators are gone, you'll also want to trash away your Talisman, Workshop, or Ironworks, if you bought any of those.

Part 3: More About the Starter Card

As stated earlier, the best Starter card gives at least +1 Card and +2 Actions.  Why +1 Card?  Because they won't stop you dead if a Conspirator chain you've already activated draws into them.  Why +2 Actions?  Because they don't need any help to kick off a Conspirator chain.  But wait!  Don't you also need a Substarter?

Yes, but if your Starter gives +2 Actions, your Substarter can be anything -- a terminal action, for example, not that you want to clog up your deck with terminals.  Frequently it will be a non-activated Conspirator.  Consider a hand with a Native Village and four Conspirators.  You play the Native Village first, play a non-activated Conspirator second, and then the remaining three Conspirators will all draw for you.

Although the ideal Starter card also draws, Festival makes a decent Starter card despite not drawing.  Why?  Two reasons:  It provides +Buy, fulfilling that optional accessory of the engine, and it also provides +2 coins all by itself, meaning that you can earn the same amount of cash with one fewer Conspirator that you'd normally require.  Even so, you want to be careful.  Inasmuch as Festival helps kick off Conspirator chains, its lack of +Cards can stop them, too.

If you're attempting a Conspirator Engine without any +2 Actions cards, there should at least be plenty of ordinary +1 Action cards to help you get going.  The difference with +1 Action Starter cards is that the Substarter must also be a +1 Action card.  That means you need two such cards to kick off a Conspirator chain, and that's much more difficult to manage.  Because of this, the more they draw, the better:  Laboratories are among the best of this type of Starter, because they offer +2 Cards.  Markets and Grand Markets only offer +1 Card, but they provide a source of +Buy in the bargain.  Treasuries are nice because once you've got a couple, you can keep them coming back to your hand turn after turn as you're revving up.  But the 5-coin price point of all four of these cards makes them difficult to get early enough in the process.  Ideally you'd like to have cheaper Starter cards available, so you can make good use of early turns that don't generate enough coins to buy a Conspirator.  Something as simple and lowly as Pearl Diver will suffice: anything that offers +1 Card and +1 Action will help activate your Conspirators without gumming up the engine once it's rolling.

Part 4: Supplementing Your Engine

If, by the time you've drained the Conspirators and loaded up on enough Starters that you can reliably activate a Conspirator chain with any hand you're likely to draw, it may well be time to buy up green cards.  But if you have any time left to spare, you can make your engine more resilient to the influx of green if you spare some turns to buy good supplemental cards.

Good supplemental cards are anything that offers at least +1 Card, +1 Action, and something else worth having, such as money (Treasury, Peddler, Bazaar) or a buy (Worker's Village), or both (Market, Grand Market), or an extra card (Laboratory), or an attack (Spy).  If you've already got the extra buys, Peddlers are prime targets here, because when your engine kicks in, Peddlers will cost $0 on virtually every hand you play thereafter, so you can suck them up with whatever extra Buys you happen to have.

In the absence of hand-size reduction attacks, Cellar and Warehouse are also good supplements in moderation.  The reason is that although they take up a slot in your hand, the potential is that they'll free up other slots by replacing those incoming Provinces with more Conspirators.  Certainly you can overdo these, but a small number can loosen your engine up and keeping it rolling.

Part 5: The Importance of Drawing

Since each Conspirator (and most Starter cards, too, like Village) only draws one card, a Conspirator Engine can't skip over green cards and other non-drawing cards the way, say, a Laboratory engine can.  Any non-drawing cards -- including treasure cards, terminal sources of +Buy, your trasher, and non-drawing Starters like Festival and Native Village -- can potentially end a Conspirator chain.

Let's take a more specific look at how "tolerant" your Conspirator Engine will be of these cards.

Suppose you have a Conspirator (C) Engine with Village (V) cards as your Starters.  Suppose you've trashed everything else with Chapel (Ch), but you've just started to accumulate Provinces (P).  Let's say your hand and your deck look like this:

Hand:  V C C P P
    Deck:  C P V C C Ch C P C

You play the Village first.  That gives you +1 Card, which is a Conspirator.  Now you have three Conspirators.  You play one as the Substarter.  Then you play the next one, which draws a Province.  Now you have one left, which draws a Village.  Playing the Village draws another Conspirator.  Playing that Conspirator draws another Conspirator.  Playing that Conspirator draws a Chapel, and you're done with your action phase.

For your buy phase, you now have 10 coins to spend.

But now let us suppose those Villages were Native Villages instead, but everything else were the same:

Hand:  NV C C P P
    Deck:  C P NV C C Ch C P

For simplicity, let's say you always use the Native Villages to put the mat cards (of which there are none) into your hand.  You play the Native Village first.  Then you play a Conspirator as the Substarter.  Then you play the last Conspirator in your hand, which draws another.  That Conspirator pulls in a Province, and you're done.

For your buy phase, you now have 6 coins to spend.

The lesson, again, is that not only doesn't a non-drawing Starter help you pull more Conspirators into your hand, they grind the engine to a halt when they're drawn by already activated Conspirators, too.  You can still make the engine work, but it's not going to be as smooth.

The math is quite simple:  For every +1 Card action in your initial hand, you can skip one non-drawing card in your deck.  This is why in the best Conspirator Engine all of the engine cards are drawing cards, leaving only the green cards (and the odd lingering trasher) to gum it up.

This is also why I said earlier that hand-size decreasing attacks can have a detrimental effect on your engine.  Not always -- in the example above, getting attacked by Militia just means you discard those two Provinces.  But Militia is still a threat in general, because the fewer +1 Card actions you start with in your hand, the fewer non-drawing cards in your deck you can skip over.

Conclusions

Because of the unique considerations and constraints of the Conspirator card, it can be one of the most fun to play.  While other types of engines can be constructed from interchangeable parts (e.g., a Village/Rabble engine is not greatly different from a Bazaar/Smithy engine, which in turn functions roughly like a Walled Village/Council Room engine), the Conspirator Engine requires coordinating a unique set of components to get working.  Doing that can be a whole lot of fun -- enjoy making it work for you!

Edits:  Additional remarks added by the suggestion of shark_bait and chwhite.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:07:16 pm by rinkworks »

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Conspirator
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:31:58 pm »

Nice article and nice organization.  I think something regarding cellar and warehouse could be added.  You mention +action type cards, but in the absence of hand reducing attacks, these two cards help get through your junk and help put conspirators in your hand.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:49:51 pm »

shark_bait:  Excellent idea.  I've added such a note.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:04 pm »

Nice work.  I actually like Conspirator better than this article does, because they can be tremendously effective even in environments where many of your preconditions for a dedicated Conspirator engine don't exist.  A few things, then, I'd like to add:

* Conspirators are worth it in *any* deck that can chain actions.  Scrying Pool, Lab spam, +Actions/+Cards are all better with a few Conspirators, and have the added benefit of not needing nearly as much trashing.  Okay, maybe Scrying Pool needs trashing too.
* Throne Room is kind of overrated in my opinion, but it's incredibly good as a Conspirator Starter.  Throne a Conspirator, and the second Conspirator kicks off your chain.
* +Buy is obviously good, but if you've got good trashing and/or gaining you don't need it to go Conspirator IMO.
* Just as Virtual Buy helps out a Conspirator chain, virtual trashing also helps, letting you kick off Conspirators even while those Coppers and Estates are still in your deck.  What do I mean by virtual trashing?  Basically, cards that let your order your deck and/or bypass your crud.  All the virtual trashers I'm thinking of also give +Action and thus double as a Starter.  Some candidates (ED. in addition to shark_bait's Warehouse and Cellar suggestion above, which fill the same role):

-Scout.  This is probably the weakest option, and I wouldn't make a Scout/Conspirator engine without other support, but Scout does provide some support if other elements are in place.
-Lookout. Its trashing ability is normally fairly slow and weak, but the discard and +Action also helps Conspirator get off the ground.
-Hunting Party.  Play a couple HPs, then alternate Conspirator and HP.  This card is good with everything, and Conspirators are no exception.
-Apothecary.  This one is my favorite.  It helps kick off your Conspirators, ensures they draw useful things, *and* adds to your buy power this turn by putting the Coppers in your hand.  I had a game today, in fact, where I opened Workshop/Potion (!) so I could get this combo running.  Mind you, Throne Room and Lookout was also in the set, further bolstering Conspirator.  But no Buy, no other trashing, no Villages, and it still worked quite well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:04:33 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »

I've used Conspirator as a supplemental card but I appreciate this article since I didn't understand the components of building a 'Conspirator Engine'.  I got destroyed this game and had multiple elements you discussed, like trashing (Masquerate) where I tried to counter the incoming Estates with Transmute (didn't go so well for me), only to watch Hunting Party/Market/Spy setup Conspirator chains with the +Buy that you recommended.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110701-091748-f9cdc653.html

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:06:40 pm »

chwhite:  Great stuff, thanks.  I added a note about "sifters" being an alternative to trashers.

I agree with you about Conspirator being a good supplement to other types of engines.  I had mentioned that in passing in the article, but perhaps I buried the lede a bit there:  The title of the article should have been "The Conspirator Engine" rather than simply "Conspirator" as a card.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:40:26 pm »

Hamlet is, as is true with many cards, Conspirator's best friend? Maybe not exactly, but very close.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:17:36 pm »

@tko: I think the problem is that you opened Fishing Village/Fishing Village on a board that contains Masquerade. Looking at councilroom starts, the best thing to pair with Fishing Village in the opening is, in fact, Masquerade (as at time of writing). You bought your Potion on your second run-through of the deck, and your Transmute on the third... which is too slow as those Estates have already done their job.

snappy

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34:35 pm »

Hamlet is, as is true with many cards, Conspirator's best friend? Maybe not exactly, but very close.

indeed. i had a game the other day with conspiroator, hamlet, wishing well, throne room, quarry, and a little bit of trashing (salvager i think?) ... i think my opponent underestimated how well hamlets and wishing wells fed into the conspirator chain ... worked out very nicely for me ...

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 12:57:42 am »

Conspirator is a card that can be near-to-useless or absolutely insane. Integrated in a Worker Village/Carddraw engine, it's basically a Grand Market....

Anon79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 03:48:04 am »

I'm not convinced about the conditions under which the Conspirator engine is strong. Take for example the following:

2 Chapel, Secret Chamber
3 Lookout, Wishing Well
4 Conspirator, Walled Village
5 Apprentice, Festival, Hunting Party, Wharf

It's got most of what you want; a Village, strong trashing (Chapel), Lookout if you want that, Wishing Well, Hunting Party, no attacks whatsoever. Would the Conspirator engine in fact be too slow here?

rogerclee

• Steward
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 04:31:01 am »

I'm not convinced about the conditions under which the Conspirator engine is strong. Take for example the following:

2 Chapel, Secret Chamber
3 Lookout, Wishing Well

It's got most of what you want; a Village, strong trashing (Chapel), Lookout if you want that, Wishing Well, Hunting Party, no attacks whatsoever. Would the Conspirator engine in fact be too slow here?
On this board, Conspirator will be your cash source and HP/Wharf/Village will be your draw engine, should not be too hard to hit double province turns pretty early.

Anon79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 04:52:33 am »

Double-Province turns = 8 Conspirators/Festivals, unless you're also buying Treasure. Is this faster, or the simpler Wharf/Gold engine (possibly with Festival and/or HP support) faster?

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 12:16:04 pm »

Very nice article on a card that I never saw the point of when I was a n00b.  One use I've found for them on certain boards is Upgrading/Remaking them into Dukes/Duchies.  That way, I can decide whether I need the $2 to assist in buying one of those cards (and drawing more occasionally), or simply Upgrade them.  It's too slow to be the focal point of the strategy, but it's one use for the card at $4, especially when there's not a lot of non-terminals to reap its extra benefit. 
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »

The combination of conspirators with thrones, king's courts, and golems is certainly worth noting.

I'd suggest that there is a bit more flexibility in using conspirators than it first appears. Sometimes you can run a deck where a conspirator is 'better than silver' but no more than that, perhaps if you have a market, a haven, and a pile of treasure in your deck. More often you can create a drawing engine for some other purpose, perhaps with a young witch and villages, and can then add a conspirator at low risk for good value.

I can see a lot of possible ways to play the kingdom suggested by Anon79, for example. If you use a chapel you might want to create a powerhouse deck that is all actions with the conspirators providing a lot of coin. On the other hand you could try a fast deck with one conspirator, apprentice, bit of treasure and some hunting parties, enough to bring home quick provinces before a stronger deck is up and running.

lefaiison

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 11:05:03 am »

2 Chapel, Secret Chamber
3 Lookout, Wishing Well

The nice thing about a Conspirator chain on this board is that your deck will never slow down.  Once you hit $12, you can buy Province/Conspirator.  A little more and you can get Province/Wharf.  With Secret Chamber, as long as you're drawing out your deck, even buying green cards will continue boosting your buying power.  If you're a little bit behind on the Province race, you can starting getting Duchy x 2 and Hunting Party or something. 

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 12:03:12 pm »

2 Chapel, Secret Chamber
3 Lookout, Wishing Well

On this board, Conspirator will be your cash source and HP/Wharf/Village will be your draw engine, should not be too hard to hit double province turns pretty early.
On this board, setting up an elaborate conspirator engine will be too slow. Straight-up Wharf or possibly Chapel-Wharf are going to be your best bets... if Hunting Party/Conspirator as a simple two-card combo isn't better. But slowing down for village AND HP AND Conspirators AND VILLAGES... I'll have half the provinces before you can think about double-provincing. I, mean, it's a really cute idea, and it would be more powerful if we were playing to 16 provinces or something, but it's just going to be too slow here.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 12:46:35 pm »

I had a quick look and chapel/silver moving to festival/conspirator/wharf works ok. The walled villages aren't needed.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »

Personally, I don't view Conspirator as an engine card.  To me it is an economy card that supplements other engines.  At its core Conspirator is a watered-down Grand Market that is cheaper and easier to buy.  Grand Market is not an engine card, and neither is Conspirator.

Pool Engines, Party Engines, Menagerie Engines and Minion Engines among others can really be fleshed out with Conspirator, but none of them require eight or ten to make them work.  In my humble opinion, too many can actually cause these other powerful engines to sputter, as drawing three or four of them without support can cause a $2 hand.

Mixing Conspirator with a bunch of NTAs can work, don't get me wrong.  But I wouldn't consider it as reliable as the other dedicated engine cards.  I would also agree that adding good sources of buy is pretty important to using Conspirators en masse.  On of the glaring differences with GM and Conspirator is the lack of a buy, and massing them with Pools or KCs makes little sense in a Province game without some way to use all the extra coin generated.

To sum up, IMO, Conspirator is a card that makes other very powerful engines and combos that much sexier and harder to rationalize skipping.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

ksf_

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:33:42 pm »

I have to agree that conspirator is a card that makes another engine work rather than a raison d'etre.  Not that I haven't tried to buy nothing but ironworks/conspirators hoping THIS time it will be different.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 03:35:26 am »

I actually think that the Conspirator's best friend is the Tactician (and possibly vice versa). Tactician gives you the plus buy, two actions to help you trigger your Conspirator chain, and plenty of cards to make sure you have lots of Conspirators to start with. Get two Tacticians and you're off and running.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:37:48 am by tlloyd »

tko

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 09:20:26 am »

I tried building a Conspirator engine and was successful with the help mostly by Hunting Party (and in a small part by Cellar, Great Hall, and Horse Traders).  Hunting Party is a great enabler that can find you a Conspirator and start the chain or keeping the chain going.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110709-035943-fa4b4ab3.html
Prior to reading this article, I didn't really think of Conspirator as an engine card but I am more convinced.  Sure, it needs enablers, but in a Province game, can eliminate the need for silly cards like Silver and Gold.

play2draw

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 11:52:09 am »

Conspirator and Remake work very very well together. You can rapidly turn all of those pesky silvers you've collected into a pack of ruinous Conspirators. If your opponent doesn't catch up to this, it becomes quite hard to lose.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »

I tried building a Conspirator engine and was successful with the help mostly by Hunting Party (and in a small part by Cellar, Great Hall, and Horse Traders).  Hunting Party is a great enabler that can find you a Conspirator and start the chain or keeping the chain going.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110709-035943-fa4b4ab3.html
Prior to reading this article, I didn't really think of Conspirator as an engine card but I am more convinced.  Sure, it needs enablers, but in a Province game, can eliminate the need for silly cards like Silver and Gold.

The HP was the engine card, not the Conspirator.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Auroch

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 01:48:08 pm »

I have here a log of a game that lacked any village effects, but had good enough trashing and secondary enablers (Bishop, Hunting Party, and Warehouse) that I successfully played the Conspirator engine anyway.

Cards in supply: Colony, Platinum, Bank, Bishop, Conspirator, Expand, Haven, Horn of Plenty, Hunting Party, Salvager, Smugglers, and Warehouse

EDIT: Now a councilroom log
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:44:52 pm by Auroch »

tko

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »

I have here a log of a game that lacked any village effects, but had good enough trashing and secondary enablers (Bishop, Hunting Party, and Warehouse) that I successfully played the Conspirator engine anyway.

Cards in supply: Colony, Platinum, Bank, Bishop, Conspirator, Expand, Haven, Horn of Plenty, Hunting Party, Salvager, Smugglers, and Warehouse
To have the presence of mind to not trash a Copper so you could buy a Hunting Party is amazing. I would auto-pilot and trash the Copper... but during the buy-phase regret it.  Good forseight.
   — Josientje's turn 4 —
   Josientje plays a Bishop.
   ... getting +$1 and +1 ▼.
   ... Josientje trashes a Copper.
   ... Auroch trashes nothing.       Josientje plays 3 Coppers.
   Josientje buys a Silver.
   (Josientje reshuffles.)
   (Josientje draws: an Estate, 2 Coppers, a Conspirator, and a Silver.)

— Auroch's turn 5 —

Auroch plays a Bishop.
... getting +$1 and +1 ▼.
... Auroch trashes an Estate and gets +1 ▼.
... Josientje trashes a Copper.
Auroch plays a Silver and 2 Coppers.
Auroch buys a Hunting Party.
(Auroch draws: a Warehouse, 3 Coppers, and a Conspirator.)

Auroch

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 12:28:00 pm »

As a rule of thumb, never be on auto-pilot. And $5s are important.

Anon79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 03:08:38 am »

To have the presence of mind to not trash a Copper so you could buy a Hunting Party is amazing. I would auto-pilot and trash the Copper... but during the buy-phase regret it.  Good forseight.   
Generally, I am at my most alert on Turns 3 to 7 of any game, since this is the time when you have most definite knowledge of your deck and the hands to come. This applies doubly so to mirror Bishop games, since in my experience it is seldom trivial whether to trash on your opponent's Bishops or not!

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »

I played a 4 player in-person game with the following cards, Platinum+Colony were in play:

Great Hall, Trade Route, Throne Room, Conspirator, Thief, Upgrade, Grand Market, Adventurer, Bridge..forget the last was not an attack or a village.

All opened 4-3.  I went with Bridge-Silver. Picked up 1 Conspirator, 1 Upgrade and Great Halls when I only had 3 treasure. Upgraded my Estates to Great Hallsm while building a Consirator-Great Hall-Grand Market engine with a couple Throne Rooms. One opponent was kind enough to buy a thief to accelerate my Copper trashing (a move he regretted mid way through the game). Grabbed all 10 Grand Markets!!! bought 7  Colonies before ending it on piles. There was no way to get more than 5 cards in my hand so after I had 4-5 Colonies my hand would get clogged with them before I could draw my deck....

Helped that no one else on the board saw the Conspirator engine there decided to go Trade Route instead..
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 2.753 seconds with 20 queries.