Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: golden deck not so golden?  (Read 3294 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
golden deck not so golden?
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »
+1

Didn't really see myself losing when I got my golden deck up and running by turn 8. But then..

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/09/game-20120409-101729-1d893c0a.html

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: golden deck not so golden?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:55:08 pm »
+2

That was pretty. 

pecoho

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »

You lose only because of chapel 5-2
Luck only

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 03:00:54 pm »
+2

Luck only

Absolutely not true!  Have you ever played against Obi Wan Bonogi?  He is currently top of the leaderboard and as I and many others can attest, he absolutely deserves this ranking.  From the times I've played him, he has been exceptionally good at analyzing a board and executing his strategy.  In this game, yes he gets a 5/2 start, but he also plays flawlessly!  Good players know what strategy to play and how to play it correctly.  He did both this game and deserves the win.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:40:42 pm »
+3

Luck only

Absolutely not true!  Have you ever played against Obi Wan Bonogi?  He is currently top of the leaderboard and as I and many others can attest, he absolutely deserves this ranking.  From the times I've played him, he has been exceptionally good at analyzing a board and executing his strategy.  In this game, yes he gets a 5/2 start, but he also plays flawlessly!  Good players know what strategy to play and how to play it correctly.  He did both this game and deserves the win.
You lose only because you're playing against Obi Wan Bonogi
Luck only
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

mDuo13

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:44:39 pm »

Vineyards are so good. <3

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »
+1

Wow, that was beyond beautiful. Truly an amazing game.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:04:30 pm »

This was indeed a fun game. Looking though the log, I would say Obi Wan got some great draws early, but good players are able to capitalize on good luck and he certainly did. I think the set up is quite interesting. I think if both players open 4/3 the two strategies are going to be pretty competitive with each other, but the 5/2 open has to give advantage vineyards.

EDIT: I take that back. After a bit of playing around, vineyards should stomp the golden deck here.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:18:07 pm by jonts26 »

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:46:57 pm »
+2

There's been some threads in this forum about breaking level barriers. I think this game illustrates quite nicely the difference between me (high 30s) and a 40+ player. Didnt even consider vineyards, sigh.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:45:03 am »

Ah yes I remember this one  8)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01:50 am »

This was indeed a fun game. Looking though the log, I would say Obi Wan got some great draws early, but good players are able to capitalize on good luck and he certainly did. I think the set up is quite interesting. I think if both players open 4/3 the two strategies are going to be pretty competitive with each other, but the 5/2 open has to give advantage vineyards.

EDIT: I take that back. After a bit of playing around, vineyards should stomp the golden deck here.

I don't know that this is a roflstomp situation without that 5/2 split.  Those two early Bazaars boosted OWB's cycling and I'm betting it made the difference between a T7 GM and a T8 GM.  Without the early GMs, you don't have their snowball effect.  Playing around just a bit, I think Silver/Chapel->Vineyard is at a disadvantage to Golden, especially as P2.

That said... OWB's play is pretty damn flawless here, and he definitely capitalizes on his luck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:36 am »

It's not. With opponents bishop speeding you up, the engine potential is absolutely massive in the 16 turns it'll take golden deck to end the game. Hamlet/Watchtower is fantastic, chapel and opponent bishop makes the engine set up fast, even without a 5/2. And once you get 1-2 GM's you can just start steamrolling.

EDIT: here's my first take on it, without the benefit of opponents bishop.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-231308-f582977b.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:13:37 am by jonts26 »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:53 am »

It's not. With opponents bishop speeding you up, the engine potential is absolutely massive in the 16 turns it'll take golden deck to end the game. Hamlet/Watchtower is fantastic, chapel and opponent bishop makes the engine set up fast, even without a 5/2. And once you get 1-2 GM's you can just start steamrolling.

EDIT: here's my first take on it, without the benefit of opponents bishop.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-231308-f582977b.html

Oh... you went a different route from what he did--I was trying to follow OWB's pattern.  Yeah, Hamlet/WT is bigger than I would have thought here.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 20 queries.