Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Snowline fan-based expansion.  (Read 36488 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Re: Snowline fan-based expansion.
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2018, 10:05:15 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:19:43 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2018, 10:40:20 pm »

How are these? I made it so frigid village would make your next turn start with +2 Actions.

And I took the card away from lodge and gave it an extra action. Also the only way to keep playing with it is to play only 1 other action that doesn’t give you any actions.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:20:06 pm by ClouduHieh »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2018, 10:52:13 pm »

Blizzard: This is an attack directed at only one opponent (not actually an attack but close enough). Generally it's considered to be in the proper "spirit" of the game if all opponents are hurt by attackoids, to avoid politicking.

The "attack" part of the card is definitely brutal. Blizzard itself is an Event, so it's unaffected by the 5-and-up ban, which is an interesting self-synergy, but might cause it to completely take over the game, so I'd be careful of that. Deciding when to trash the Log Cabin offers an interesting choice, though. You can use it to grab a last minute Duchy to put yourself over the finish, which is nice.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2018, 11:09:40 pm »

True that’s why I made it 12$. Of course players will buy it if they can. But depending on the game it may not happen very often. I also wanted to make it similar to possession with a chance to block it. The real possession never gave you a chance. Unless you had a horrible hand that was possessioned on.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2018, 11:12:33 pm »

And perhaps it hits your opponent when they have horrible hand anyway. And of course the other can get back at the player that played it. Unless it’s 3 or 4 player game.

And if I did make it affect each player it might make the game wonkier.  Especially if it happens multiple times in a row.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:13:47 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2018, 11:15:57 pm »

But now it gives a better reason to start the game with one log cabin. So they can prepare for a blizzard.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2018, 11:43:14 pm »
+4

just So you guys know. Snowline is a term to define an area where the snow never melts. Originally I thought I would call it the tundra or taiga expansion. But snowline seems a lot cooler in more ways than one. I’ve always loved the flavor texts of each expansion they always make me laugh. So I thought I’d create my own too.

Few have gone where your going. You have claimed most of the warmer lands. But these frigid lands have remained mostly untouched. But be careful you have heard of outlaws, wolves and even bears attacking any who choose to come here. When you arrive don’t forget to hire a lumberjack to build you a log cabin. And a fur coat from the fur trader. And if you come across a yeti, run away! And don’t forget to stop by the nearest lodge for a pint of cider. Oh look it’s the lumberjack from earlier. Oh what luck! Your log cabin was recently damaged by a blizzard. Oh that’s nothing sir! An avalanche struck a village not far from here. A few pints later you’ll be telling stories of how you fought that yeti off. And then they laugh out loud when you tell them your doing all this for a few good igloos.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2018, 03:18:29 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:20:29 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2018, 03:24:50 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:20:41 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2018, 03:40:01 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:21:06 pm by ClouduHieh »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2018, 03:47:00 pm »

Dude, that is a just a cheaper, lamer Magpie that cannot gain itself.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2018, 05:33:52 am »

I just wanted to say that that I like your flavor text.

I kind of feel that Fishing Hole's effect is a bit unreliable considering it needs the Journey token face up. I flip that thing, I reveal those things, oops, no Treasures, now reorder them. That seems a bit too much effort and fiddling for what it does. While I admit that the reordering could come in handy, it only does so with other specific kingdom cards, and only every second time. I guess my main issue is how this is twice unreliable.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2018, 05:46:29 am »

So asper was the fishing hole without the journey token better then?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2018, 06:12:10 am »

So asper was the fishing hole without the journey token better then?

I actually think it was. Holunder generally likes to complain about cards that he thinks are boring, but I think it's a mistake to assume that only because a card does something simple, it plays uninterestingly. I feel Magpie's self-gaining has such a huge impact on the card that it plays entirely different. That said, the effect in itself doesn't involve all that many decisions. My suggestion is to try it out. Maybe you can give it a little extra, like an on-gain effect or something, if it should play dull, after all.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2018, 11:37:15 am »

I think I’ll keep it the same the first one I mean. I already removed the second one. It’s okay to have some cards in an expansion that are simple anyway. And generally cards costing 2$ and 3$ usually are just that. And most expansions don’t have very many 2$s anyway.

Just so you guys know I have about another 10 or so differently named cards I have yet posted not including the travelers. So about 20 more differently named cards yet to show. And who knows I might come up with new ideas. Carcass was a new idea. And 2 cards that were thought of and put together by other friends. Those 2 I will not change. I’ll let you know when I post those 2 cards. One was created by a young avid dominion player. The other one his uncle did.

And blizzard was a duration card which I made into an event instead.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2018, 11:48:18 am »

I know much you guys seem to hate copper strategies. I would be very surprised if you Guys like this one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:21:20 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2018, 12:11:33 pm »

Another reason to keep some coppers. Similar to Ill  gotten gains except it’s a victory.

Now the reason why I think it should give out curses. Is because first of all glaciers are a thing a beauty, however getting to close could be dangerous. And if you got to this such and such glacier before anyone else, then the other players should get something bad. Cause it could possibly be near death experience.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:21:46 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2018, 12:17:20 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:22:09 pm by ClouduHieh »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2018, 01:13:06 pm »
+1

I think you got the wrong impression. We don't "hate" Copper strategies; we just believe trashing them usually helps you win more often given the nature of the game and the current cards. We also think the fact that trashing is important is one of the things that makes the game so strategically deep. Having said that, I actually do find Copper strategies interesting, precisely because they're so rarely good, and I'm sure a lot of others here would agree.

About the cards themselves:

Igloo looks fine.

Copper Mine is very similar to Coppersmith, another card that was cut because of how weak it was. It's clearly better though, since it doesn't take an action to play and it also gives $1 itself. It might still be weak, but that's all right; it looks interesting enough. The Copper-gaining is interesting because it could be good or bad: It can make the Copper better but gaining Copper in the beginning is usually awful and you might not draw it with the Copper Mine.

About Glacier, Ill-Gotten-Gains is widely hated because of how often it leads to the same strategy: It empties two piles at once, so the best thing to do is to just buy nothing but IGGs and then empty the Duchies or Estates. This card might lead to a similar rush, but probably less often: It's more expensive and it's a dead card that doesn't provide economy. Still, the fact that it gives you points while cursing everyone else makes it seem likely to be rush-y. The Copper restraint is interesting, but it won't make a difference if you're rushing these. If it's better to buy it toward the end, though, forcing you to keep Coppers could be interesting.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2018, 03:43:20 pm »
+1

This card might lead to a similar rush, but probably less often: It's more expensive and it's a dead card that doesn't provide economy. Still, the fact that it gives you points while cursing everyone else makes it seem likely to be rush-y.
Also, it is a Victory pile, so it won't run out at the same time as Curses.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2018, 05:47:36 pm »

Exactly the game won’t end near as fast as I’ll gotten gains especially if you did end up trashing most of your coppers when you do start buying this. Assuming the curse pile isn’t already empty. But if there is no other card that gives them out. There may be some players stuck with curses they didn’t have time to trash. Usually the curse pile is near empty by the time you focus on buying provinces and duchies. So this should add a little difference to the end of the game.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2018, 05:56:19 pm »

Okay I’ll be posting the first set of travelers today. Now as you know the a few of the travelers were quite powerful cards. Especially champion (endless actions and endless moat at all times) only a few cards could still get thru the champion, Ill gotten gains being one of them. So it was quite a daunting task to create 2 new sets of travelers let alone kind of being a story of the original travelers were like. And finding pictures for a lot of them was very tough. Some of the pictures may not be quite right. But it was I could get.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2018, 06:13:22 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:22:56 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2018, 06:23:08 pm »

So this is the story of the churl.

When he was young he lived on the streets, was treated bad by all. And so he lashed out at all.
Eventually he was exiled from the town. So he started drifting from town to town looking for a place to call home. Eventually he traversed the mountains, finally a place that accepted him. He became a mountaineer to guide travelers thru the mountains. Eventually he became a great hunter, mostly because of his traveling companion. Then he became a wealthy fur trader. After all people will pay anything for a warm fur coat in these treacherous lands.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »
+1

You seem to be quickly getting better at designing fan cards. I like these recent ones.

Coppermine looks like a much improved Coppersmith. I like it.

I think Igloo is my favorite. For some reason, I really like action-victory cards in general.

Personally, I house-rule that buying IGG (or Haunted Castle or Raid, etc) counts as playing an attack for the purpose of any reactions. Then again, I don't play with IGG in my real life games, and I haven't yet introduced Raid to my home play group, so Haunted Castle is the only time this house rule has actually come up. I might try out Glacier though, because it looks much less likely to cause the un-fun rushes that IGG does. Because of its cost and it being a dead card once it enters your deck, I think trying to rush them before you already have some kind of engineish thing going would be a bad idea.

as for the travellers:
- Churl: Making other players discard the top of their deck is not an attack (see Tribute). In the early game especially, it's more likely to help them than hurt them. Maybe have them reveal the top card of their deck and discard it if it's an action or treasure? (like a cross between Spy and Rabble)
- Drifter looks fine.
- Mountaineer: Stronger than Lab which is stronger than Fugitive, which is already strong for a $4 cost. Fugitive is okay because it's a traveller, but Mountaineer is probably too strong even for a traveller. Might be okay as the $5 traveller in the line.
- Fur Trader looks fine, not as strong as Teacher or Champion, but still very good. OTOH, Hunter looks like it might be just as strong as Fur Trader. Compared to Disciple though, it strength might be okay. It looks like you'll want to keep your Hunters for a few turns before exchanging them for Fur Traders.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:39:43 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.