Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541986 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #650 on: November 10, 2018, 05:49:10 pm »

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:52:58 pm by NoMoreFun »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 10, 2018, 06:28:33 pm »
+1

I wanted it to be a $5 cost Throne+ but I think the attack is strong enough that it needs to cost $6.

This is one of the best cards I've seen - it really encourages players to use different strategies from each other.

It would probably be fine at $5 as It's easy enough to make the attack whiff

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 10, 2018, 07:08:22 pm »

I like this one, but I think it'd be fine at $5. The attack is weaker than knights' because the attacked player can choose from any card they have in play for the attack to hit, rather than the top two cards of their deck. Or if it's near the beginning of the game and they only have a couple cards costing more than $2, they can always choose not to play them that turn.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 10, 2018, 07:57:01 pm »

I like this one, but I think it'd be fine at $5. The attack is weaker than knights' because the attacked player can choose from any card they have in play for the attack to hit, rather than the top two cards of their deck. Or if it's near the beginning of the game and they only have a couple cards costing more than $2, they can always choose not to play them that turn.

I've been weighing it up, but the main reason I opted for $6 is to give players a chance to get a few cards costing $3 to $6 in their deck before they start losing them to Demagogues. It's less likely to whiff than Knights, and the on play effect is a little better than Knights.

Another thing I could do is a non optional chancellor effect on play to limit the number of times it pops up in a shuffle.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 10, 2018, 08:23:20 pm »
+1

I've been weighing it up, but the main reason I opted for $6 is to give players a chance to get a few cards costing $3 to $6 in their deck before they start losing them to Demagogues. It's less likely to whiff than Knights, and the on play effect is a little better than Knights.

Another thing I could do is a non optional chancellor effect on play to limit the number of times it pops up in a shuffle.

I, for one, agree with it costing $6, particularly for the first reason you stated.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 11, 2018, 02:30:12 am »
+3

I wanted it to be a $5 cost Throne+ but I think the attack is strong enough that it needs to cost $6.

I really like the concept of players having to weigh what card is best to throne versus what card to get rid of from your opponents hand. It's a relatively simple concept that offers immense strategy.

Unfortunately I do not think such a focused discard attack can be balanced in it's current state. Cards that favor diverse decks are great, but with only 10 Kingdom cards there will always be overlap and you can probably always find 2-3 common cards that when lost would cripple a players hand. I'm thinking mainly about Village cards, +Buy cards, and such. There is just too much chance of a player locking their opponents out of the game with something like this.

I think this is why there are no official cards like this. The closest card would be Raiders and a player has to put a lot of thought and work into their deck before it can function like Regicide.

I'm sure there's a way to salvage this great concept. Making it so only the first Regicide played attacks would go along way towards reigning this in. This would really make players think hard about which card is best to attack and which card is best to throne.

Anyways, thanks for sharing this and good luck!

[EDIT] I also noticed you've changed your image a few times for this. If you're still undecided on it, have a look at this one. I've had it for awhile, but haven't had a card that fits the theme. It's kind of like an undead Procession. Regicide and how your card plays seems like a great fit!

Artist Credit: Nick Gindraux
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:32:08 am by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #7: Action Attack
« Reply #656 on: November 11, 2018, 04:38:16 am »

These purists are against technological progress, believing that only pure manpower should accomplish work.

Great looking card. Hard to tell how much the +1 Villagers eases such a nasty attack, but I think that paired with the +2 Cards on Purist itself provides a nice, soft defense. Draw cards that net +3 Cards or more will certainly be a better defense, but it's nice that Purist provides some draw for this purpose if no other draw is in the Kingdom.

Looks like a good contender!

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 11, 2018, 05:05:55 am »

EDIT: Some changes to reduce craziness and tracking issues.

I don't understand why this should be an Attack card. Sure, some cards like Harvest or Abandoned Mine are gone, but other cards like Smithy or Jack of All Trades even like this card
Well, Fortress likes Knights and they are still an attack.

I really don't see how Pretender is an attack. Each other player playing an Action card for free seems like a benefit for them, the opposite of an attack.

Buried in the expanded text of Caravan Guard it states that when you play a card during another persons turn, you get all of that cards benefits, but the only thing that generally carries over are the cards you drew. Specifically, Coin, Buys, and Actions do not carry over.

So this seems to be an Attack in that each other player has to choose a card to burn and the player who played the attack then gets to play one of those cards. As someone pointed out though, any terminal draw cards are a hard counter to this.

I think it's a really, really cool concept, but could probably be worded more clear and it very likely needs some kind of limiter on it. This would be my suggestion:

Now the big difference here is the Attacked players can't play their cards for draw, which takes away some of the fun of the original. I think by discarding the cards it makes it more clear that the Attacked players mostly don't get the benefit of the played cards. Also, it's unclear when those played cards get discarded. During that players next Clean-up? There really aren't any rules for this.

You could also try adding some text that specifies things like Coin don't carry over, but that would get wordy.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:07:09 am by Kudasai »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 11, 2018, 05:07:39 am »

The key thing to realize is that they get to play a card non-terminally whereas you don't. So in this respect Pretender is a gift.

But if the card they play is a village it sucks (you get a village, they get a cantrip) for them. Or more generally, all the vanilla stuff except for card draw is wasted. So being forced to play a Smithy seems like a gift.
Here we come to the last issue, handsize attacks. Suppose Alice has Village and Smithy in hand and Bob players Pretender. Alice doesn't want to play the Village as mere cantrip and she doesn't want to play the Smithy lest the Militia hits her afterwards. She wants to keep both Actions in hand but cannot due to Pretender's "Attack".

This is hard to judge but my hunch is that more often that not this is rather a gift than an Attack. The card, or more generally the copy-stuff-from-other-players idea behind it, is very interesting. But I wouldn't categorize it as Attack. Attacks nearly unambiguously always hurt. Sure, you might love Treasure Hunter being hit by Enchantress or love those incoming Curses to feed your Foragers but these are, just like the Knight-Fortess example that faust mentioned, exceptions.
Yes, attacking another player is definitely not the central part of what the card does. I think it still should be attack type (the same way a hypothetical card that gives your opponents Silvers should be an attack) because there will be boards where it can be used to hurt other players. The main goal creating htis was to have a novel kind of attack that isn't just a variation on existing attacks. Another more attack-y idea didn't work out.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 11, 2018, 05:18:53 am »
+1

Now the big difference here is the Attacked players can't play their cards for draw, which takes away some of the fun of the original. I think by discarding the cards it makes it more clear that the Attacked players mostly don't get the benefit of the played cards. Also, it's unclear when those played cards get discarded. During that players next Clean-up? There really aren't any rules for this.

You could also try adding some text that specifies things like Coin don't carry over, but that would get wordy.
Thanks for the feedback! I think a problem with your suggestion is that now the first time it is played, Pretender will be significantly more powerful. Forcing people to discard an Attack is almost Pillage-level strong, so having it on a card that is not a one-shot seems quite problematic.

I think the fact that they don't get benefits that cannot be used out of turn should be clear from the existing ruling on Caravan Guard and tokens. When the cards are discarded is less clear, but the idea is to discard them during that player's next cleanup, which is the first time they really can do so since there are no cleanup phases before that.

It could be that playing mulitples of my version is too strong, but in that case I think I prefer just restricting the effect to players with 4 or more cards in hand rather than doing the discard thing.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 11, 2018, 05:51:43 am »
+4

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:56:12 am by artless »

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 11, 2018, 08:00:53 am »
+1

I really like the concept of players having to weigh what card is best to throne versus what card to get rid of from your opponents hand. It's a relatively simple concept that offers immense strategy.

Unfortunately I do not think such a focused discard attack can be balanced in it's current state. Cards that favor diverse decks are great, but with only 10 Kingdom cards there will always be overlap and you can probably always find 2-3 common cards that when lost would cripple a players hand. I'm thinking mainly about Village cards, +Buy cards, and such. There is just too much chance of a player locking their opponents out of the game with something like this.

I think this is why there are no official cards like this. The closest card would be Raiders and a player has to put a lot of thought and work into their deck before it can function like Regicide.

I'm sure there's a way to salvage this great concept. Making it so only the first Regicide played attacks would go along way towards reigning this in. This would really make players think hard about which card is best to attack and which card is best to throne.

Anyways, thanks for sharing this and good luck!

[EDIT] I also noticed you've changed your image a few times for this. If you're still undecided on it, have a look at this one. I've had it for awhile, but haven't had a card that fits the theme. It's kind of like an undead Procession. Regicide and how your card plays seems like a great fit!

Artist Credit: Nick Gindraux

That was my thought behind making it unable to target Regicides -- there's always one card with a village effect in the kingdom that can't be attacked. It is definitely a strong card, but I enjoy playing with strong attacks so I don't really mind that. Certainly for a $6 cost attack it falls somewhere between Goons and Raider.

It's possible that having it cost $5 would actually weaken the attack, by making it easier to get that unattackable village. On the other hand, making it $6 means that the attack doesn't start to hit until later in the game (most likely the 4th shuffle instead of the 3rd). I'll have to think about this some more.
I have sigs off.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 11, 2018, 01:50:46 pm »
+1

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 11, 2018, 01:52:08 pm »

During the age of guilds. The Firth guilds job was to keep the peace. By any means nessesary
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:53:33 pm by ClouduHieh »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 11, 2018, 03:10:05 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! I think a problem with your suggestion is that now the first time it is played, Pretender will be significantly more powerful. Forcing people to discard an Attack is almost Pillage-level strong, so having it on a card that is not a one-shot seems quite problematic.

I think the fact that they don't get benefits that cannot be used out of turn should be clear from the existing ruling on Caravan Guard and tokens. When the cards are discarded is less clear, but the idea is to discard them during that player's next cleanup, which is the first time they really can do so since there are no cleanup phases before that.

It could be that playing mulitples of my version is too strong, but in that case I think I prefer just restricting the effect to players with 4 or more cards in hand rather than doing the discard thing.

Also, I left out the +$3 Coin option, but that was unintentional. The more I look at this card the more I like it. I think it just takes a bit for the complexity to sink in. I still highly recommend adding something in parenthesis that states that things like Coin and Buys don't carry over. Sure it's a rule, but I'd say it's one of the most unknown rules in Dominion and adding an explanation would go along way.

So in addition to players being able to keep drawn cards they can also keep Coffers and Villagers tokens. They can also play Attacks, which may harm you. Maybe all these counters justifies being able to attack multiple times with Pretenders?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 11, 2018, 08:10:12 pm »

I like this, though I think you mean Frith Guild. I think it's interesting that you can never discard a Frith Guild to another player's Frith Guild, since you would gain a Curse if you had it in your hand. Also, do you want to know the little unimportant errors in the card?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 11, 2018, 08:21:20 pm »

Changed Miscreant. Now it's a Woodcutter that only gives the second coin if no one trashed a good card, and the attack doesn't stack.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 11, 2018, 10:31:46 pm »

How bout a fixed spy?
(Can't decide if it should cost or .)
Infiltrator
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player reveals the top card of their deck. If it's an action or treasure costing at least , they discard it. Otherwise, they put it back. If no one discarded a card, +.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:36:13 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 12, 2018, 12:02:47 am »

Oh whoops yeah I mean frith guild. As for knowing what errors to fix. No thanks. Unless I’m at least a runner up for this contest. Otherwise I’ll wait until i decide to upload this to one of my threads.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 12, 2018, 12:13:31 am »
+3

For this contest, I wanted to come up with an Attack that you don't always want to block (Moat, Lighthouse, etc.). Yes, it might still hurt, but you'd rather not let your opponent gloat too much when they play this...

Braggart
Action/Attack - $4
-
Name an Action or Treasure card costing up to $3. Each other player gains a copy of it. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the named card.

This will usually mean taking a Copper, but that limits the Braggart to a Silver or other $3-cost card. You block this in a 2-player game, and that gives the Braggart an easy $6-cost card, with you getting bupkis. Sometimes, it's better to let the Braggart brag than to try and counter him.

Any feedback is appreciated, as usual. Do you think I need to add "in the supply" to the first clause?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 12, 2018, 12:56:55 am »
+1

For this contest, I wanted to come up with an Attack that you don't always want to block (Moat, Lighthouse, etc.). Yes, it might still hurt, but you'd rather not let your opponent gloat too much when they play this...

Braggart
Action/Attack - $4
-
Name an Action or Treasure card costing up to $3. Each other player gains a copy of it. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the named card.

This will usually mean taking a Copper, but that limits the Braggart to a Silver or other $3-cost card. You block this in a 2-player game, and that gives the Braggart an easy $6-cost card, with you getting bupkis. Sometimes, it's better to let the Braggart brag than to try and counter him.

Any feedback is appreciated, as usual. Do you think I need to add "in the supply" to the first clause?
I'd say yes, it should be in the supply, otherwise I don't think there's anything stopping you from naming a $3 not in the game (or from an empty pile) and just scoring a free $6 of your choice. It's definitely an interesting card idea.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 12, 2018, 01:41:41 am »
+1

I think it might be too strong for a cost card to give you a Goons at the cost of giving other players a silver. Or getting a Mountebank/Wharf/etc at the cost of giving other players a Duchess/Moat/etc.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 12, 2018, 09:45:08 am »

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it does seem a little strong now that I think about it. I'm offering two fixes - making it more expensive, or nerfing the you-gain effect. Let me know which one (if either) you think is better.

Braggart (variation 1)
Action/Attack - $5
-
Name an Action or Treasure card in the Supply costing up to $3. Each other player gains a copy of it. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the named card.

Braggart (variation 2)
Action/Attack - $4
-
Name an Action or Treasure card in the Supply costing up to $3. Each other player gains a copy of it. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the named card.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 12, 2018, 05:07:41 pm »
+1

My card Con Artist got an update. It took me a lot of time to make it more balanced in comparsion to Ghost Ship, Torturer and Young Witch, but here is it:

Con Artist
Type: Action - Attack
Cost: $4

+3 Cards
Discard 2 Cards

Each other player reveals their hand. Those with less than three Coppers gain a Copper to their hand, then put a card from their hand onto their deck.

Illustration: Le Tricheur à l'as de carreau by Georges de La Tour

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 12, 2018, 06:03:09 pm »
+1

My card Con Artist got an update. It took me a lot of time to make it more balanced in comparsion to Ghost Ship, Torturer and Young Witch, but here is it:

Con Artist
Type: Action - Attack
Cost: $4

+3 Cards
Discard 2 Cards

Each other player reveals their hand. Those with less than three Coppers gain a Copper to their hand, then put a card from their hand onto their deck.

Illustration: Le Tricheur à l'as de carreau by Georges de La Tour
Little wording suggestion: Each player who revealed less than three Coppers gain a Copper to their hand, then puts a card from their hand onto their deck. As far as the card itself, I think that should work well.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.