Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Playing the new Guilds & Cornucopia!  (Read 26317 times)

mubiks1

• Pawn
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
Playing the new Guilds & Cornucopia!
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:40:58 pm »
+19

After months of anticipation, we just received our brand-new Guilds and Cornucopia box! We're having a great time playing with cards that we've only played on Shuffle iT until today! Love the coin tokens -- they make for some big turns.

One interesting change is the "Coffers" term:

Going back to playing our awesome new cards!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
Re: Playing the new Guilds & Cornucopia!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:54:47 pm »
+11

I have no idea how to feel about this. It seems like a really big and arbitrary change. Even though I have to keep reminding myself that there’s no actual rules change here. Very curious to learn why this was done though... was “take a coin token” not clear enough? (Given that Pirate Ship wording was fixed). And another mat seems unnecessary. Empires realized that Prosperity never needed a mat to add VP tokens to. But now Guilds is going in the opposite direction; adding a new mat where there wasn’t one before?

I guess a lot of this is just me complaining about change. Guilds was fine as it was.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:01:49 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:06 pm »
+4

I'm all in favor of shorthand keywords for common abilities, but this word choice feels awkward. And now I'm getting that strange thing where the word sounds funny and completely foreign.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:16:45 pm »

Oh, glad this is public now, I can update my fan cards this wording if I ever get around to it.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:33:54 pm »

Oh, glad this is public now, I can update my fan cards this wording if I ever get around to it.

There was playtesting for second edition specifically or something?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:23:58 pm »
+2

No, I just mentioned it to ThetaSigma once while we were exchanging card templates. As the guy who mocks up hundreds of fan cards, I thought he might find it interesting.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 11:10:55 pm »
+2

I'm all in favor of shorthand keywords for common abilities, but this word choice feels awkward.
Yeah. Especially "+1 Coffers" rather than "+1 Coffer", which feels outright illiterate. )-8

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 12:39:36 am »

I guess this means we won't get another expansion with Coin tokens, which I'd hoped was a possibility after they brought back Victory tokens in Empires.  There'd be no way to word the cards that would be intelligible to both people who had First Edition Guilds and didn't know about Second Edition and people who had Second Edition Guilds and didn't know about First Edition (they could include something in the rulebook explaining that Coin tokens are now Coffers, but it would still be awkward).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 01:03:41 am »

That's ok, coin tokens is not the ripest design space.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:57 am »

I think I remember Donald saying that Young Witch's bane will be marked with a new token instead. Is that in 2E now?

Also is the Cornucopia and Guilds rulebook merged together or split into 2?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 04:03:15 am »
+3

I think I remember Donald saying that Young Witch's bane will be marked with a new token instead. Is that in 2E now?

Also is the Cornucopia and Guilds rulebook merged together or split into 2?
It's one rulebook (with everything mixed together), and yes there's a Bane card.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 06:18:07 am »

Having a shorthand term for taking a coin token seems like a good idea, but 'coffers' sounds kinda weird. I guess we'll have to get used to it.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:05:35 am »

No, I just mentioned it to ThetaSigma once while we were exchanging card templates. As the guy who mocks up hundreds of fan cards, I thought he might find it interesting.

And it's been bugging me since: You know your cards have a problem that you need to change, but you can't change it now, and you don't want to go back and change it.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:13 am »

Not sure how I feel about "coffers". It's probably a better design in the sense that you can put it in bold type as a basic card effect. However I wonder why it was necessary to give it a name distinct to "coin token" - I presume "+1 Coin Token" must have been tried but had some problem.

The coffers mat also looks a bit like it might camouflage the coin tokens put there.

Took a quick look online and I can see that some places have a small number of these for purchase. Looking forward to hopefully picking one up sometime soon :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 11:00:10 am »
+1

And it's been bugging me since: You know your cards have a problem that you need to change, but you can't change it now, and you don't want to go back and change it.

Apologies, then. And apologies to Donald X. for letting it slip.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »

yeesh

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 12:27:39 pm »

Are the tokens themselves in 2E the same?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 01:27:54 pm »

Are the tokens themselves in 2E the same?

I believe so.

mubiks1

• Pawn
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 01:58:32 pm »
+16

A few comments and photos...

I like the coffers mat. But I like mats in general. Maybe that's because we play on a rug with a lot of texture, and it would be easy to lose coin or victory tokens otherwise. I'd use a debt mat if there was one. If I was playing at a table, I might not use mats at all. But I have kids. They like playing on the floor.

The coin tokens are shiny, so camouflage hasn't been a problem for us:

As for the word "coffers," maybe it's awkward but my five-year-old (who can barely read but has every card from every expansion memorized based on the artwork) loves it. He instituted the house rule "when you get a coffers, cough". Play butcher; cough twice.

Here's the bane card, which I didn't realize was new since I've never seen the original Guilds & Cornucopia (except on Shuffle iT):

Cover of the new rule book:

Contents:

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 04:38:39 pm »

Does 2E Cornucopia/Guilds have recommended kingdoms with Alchemy? If so, are they effectively subdivided into Alchemy/Cornucopia and Alchemy/Guilds kingdoms (the way 2E Prosperity and Seaside did it)? And does it have recommended kingdoms using Cornucopia/Guilds alone? If so, do they have 5 cards each from Cornucopia and Guilds? Are there any all-Cornucopia or all-Guilds recommended kingdoms?

If we got A/C, A/G, and C/G, then I think we would at last have recommended kingdoms for all current pairings! And if we didn't get any all-Cornucopia or all-Guilds sets, that means we probably aren't getting an all-Alchemy kingdom (since those are/were all small sets), which would mean we may also have completed the set of recommended kingdoms for the currently released sets!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »
+3

Not sure how I feel about "coffers". It's probably a better design in the sense that you can put it in bold type as a basic card effect. However I wonder why it was necessary to give it a name distinct to "coin token" - I presume "+1 Coin Token" must have been tried but had some problem.
Coin tokens are used in other ways (Pirate Ship, Trade Route).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 05:14:18 pm »
+2

Does 2E Cornucopia/Guilds have recommended kingdoms with Alchemy? If so, are they effectively subdivided into Alchemy/Cornucopia and Alchemy/Guilds kingdoms (the way 2E Prosperity and Seaside did it)? And does it have recommended kingdoms using Cornucopia/Guilds alone? If so, do they have 5 cards each from Cornucopia and Guilds? Are there any all-Cornucopia or all-Guilds recommended kingdoms?

If we got A/C, A/G, and C/G, then I think we would at last have recommended kingdoms for all current pairings! And if we didn't get any all-Cornucopia or all-Guilds sets, that means we probably aren't getting an all-Alchemy kingdom (since those are/were all small sets), which would mean we may also have completed the set of recommended kingdoms for the currently released sets!
These are all the relevant sets:

Guilds & Cornucopia:
Misfortune: Advisor, Candlestick Maker, Doctor, Fairgrounds, Farming Village, Fortune Teller, Horse Traders, Jester, Soothsayer, Taxman
Baking Contest: Baker, Farming Village, Harvest, Herald, Journeyman, Masterpiece, Menagerie, Remake, Stonemason, Tournament

Guilds / Cornucopia & Alchemy:
Clown College: Jester, Remake, Harvest, Horse Traders, Menagerie • University, Golem, Alchemist, Philosopher's Stone, Familiar
Wine & Dine: Young Witch, Hamlet, Hunting Party, Fairgrounds, Horn of Plenty • Apprentice, Scrying Pool, Apothecary, Transmute, Vineyard • Bane: Herbalist
Illuminati: Butcher, Herald, Masterpiece, Merchant Guild, Stonemason • Apprentice, Golem, Philosopher's Stone, Scrying Pool, University
Tonics & Toxins: Baker, Candlestick Maker, Doctor, Plaza, Soothsayer • Alchemist, Familiar, Herbalist, Transmute, Vineyard

There is no all-Alchemy kingdom. If you want one, I think, everything but Possession and Scrying Pool.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 05:31:42 pm »
+5

What timing.  This past Saturday, after years of playing this game mind you, my wife played a Candlestick Maker, took her coin token, and asked where her coin token mat was.  She was very upset when I told here there wasn't one.  Now, when I needlessly buy the 2E version because I want all the new shiny, I can say I was just trying to make her happy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »

How does the bane card work? Is it larger than a card, so that the pile sits on it, and you can see the word “bane” on each side?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 06:46:47 pm »
+4

How does the bane card work? Is it larger than a card, so that the pile sits on it, and you can see the word “bane” on each side?
No, you just turn it sideways and put it under the pile, and "Bane" sticks out on both sides.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.