Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part IV  (Read 138895 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part IV
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2018, 11:59:29 am »

What have we done...

Thanks for posting this. Otherwise I'd have missed out on a lot of funny posts.

Totally unrelated – what is the common English term for the person doing a lecture or tutorial at a university that works in both cases? That person isn't always a professor. Lecturer?

Instructor

"Tutor" would be okay in a lot of settings, and I think it has more academic connotations than "instructor". It's true that in the UK, "professor" is usually reserved for tenured professorships, whereas in the US it tends to mean almost anyone with an academic teaching post. It also depends on what you understand by the word tutorial :-)

I've only ever heard tutor used for one-on-one teaching.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2018, 12:01:38 pm »

What have we done...

Thanks for posting this. Otherwise I'd have missed out on a lot of funny posts.

Totally unrelated – what is the common English term for the person doing a lecture or tutorial at a university that works in both cases? That person isn't always a professor. Lecturer?

Instructor

"Tutor" would be okay in a lot of settings, and I think it has more academic connotations than "instructor". It's true that in the UK, "professor" is usually reserved for tenured professorships, whereas in the US it tends to mean almost anyone with an academic teaching post. It also depends on what you understand by the word tutorial :-)

As an instructor, I never heard the word tutor used for the speaker of record at an educational meeting. "Tutor" usually refers to somebody who works with a student one on one.

That said, if the question is "what should I call this person verbally to get their attention," then the answer is that if they do not have a PhD, you either say "professor" or "Mr./Mrs./MS. Name."
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:04:04 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2018, 01:08:17 pm »

I'm using "tutorial" in this sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutorial_system -- as I mentioned to silver, it really depends what he means by "tutorial" :-)

I came through the Oxford system as an undergraduate, and then tutored for a couple of years as a grad student too. Tutorials were almost always either in pairs or threes, though I had a few on my own because of the way some stuff worked out as a third-year undergrad, and I found those the most terrifying! I think as a student, I had maybe 3-5 tutorials per week during the intense bits of termtime, on top of 10+ hours of lectures.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2018, 01:15:03 pm »

At German universities tutorials are usually acompanying a lecture and are held by more advanced advanced students once or twice a week with groups between 5-20 students.
Students do exercises about the lecture material at home, and the tutorials discuss the solutions to those (after the students have worked on them themselves) furthermore. students can ask the tutor if they have trouble with understanding parts of the lecture during these tutorials.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:16:10 pm by Watno »

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2018, 01:36:27 pm »

As an instructor, I never heard the word tutor used for the speaker of record at an educational meeting. "Tutor" usually refers to somebody who works with a student one on one.

That said, if the question is "what should I call this person verbally to get their attention," then the answer is that if they do not have a PhD, you either say "professor" or "Mr./Mrs./MS. Name."

It depends where you are. Here in the UK, most people doing teaching are not correctly called professors, because "professor" is only the very top tier of the academic hierarchy, with readers, lecturers and research fellows below that (while still holding a PhD). If you address all of them "professor", you may just sound like you're trying to suck up, or are generally ignorant/unobservant. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_academic_ranks)

I'm assuming silver wanted to know for  fanfic-writing purposes, and I'm relatively sure that he leans towards US English for that, but on the off-chance his interest is academic, I figure it's worth covering all bases :-)
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2018, 01:46:29 pm »

I'm using "tutorial" in this sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutorial_system -- as I mentioned to silver, it really depends what he means by "tutorial" :-)

That's exactly what I meant! Which is also what Watno said.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2018, 02:02:31 pm »

That's exactly what I meant! Which is also what Watno said.

Umm, that article talks about goup sizes of 2 to 3, whcih is not what I said.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2018, 02:04:18 pm »
+1

I confess to only reading a few lines and concluding it was what I meant. What you said, then, sizes of 5-40

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2018, 09:39:37 pm »
+1

It depends where you are. Here in the UK, most people doing teaching are not correctly called professors, because "professor" is only the very top tier of the academic hierarchy, with readers, lecturers and research fellows below that (while still holding a PhD). If you address all of them "professor", you may just sound like you're trying to suck up, or are generally ignorant/unobservant. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_academic_ranks)

I'm assuming silver wanted to know for  fanfic-writing purposes, and I'm relatively sure that he leans towards US English for that, but on the off-chance his interest is academic, I figure it's worth covering all bases :-)

In my experience teaching undergrads and talking to people in confusing academic or administrative roles, whenever someone addresses us as “professor”, we just assume they are confused (which, to be honest, even actual professors don’t get it right). If they keep addressing us as “professor” after you’ve repeatedly signed your emails as, say, “Kevin”, THEN we assume they are sucking up.

We would only make fun of a student if they started an email as “hey professor Jim” or some such.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2018, 05:09:52 am »

http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

You can try to draw symbols. Fun!

When I drew the deadly hollow symbol from harry potter, one of the results I got was the interrobang. When I tried to draw the interrobang, I didn't get the interrobang anymore :'(

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2018, 08:15:11 pm »

Does anyone think it's odd that our mouths are used for so many functions? If you were going to design a person would you have separate facilities for eating, breathing, speaking, etc. Also I feel like we could end up just dropping verbal speech.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2018, 11:18:45 pm »

Does anyone think it's odd that our mouths are used for so many functions? If you were going to design a person would you have separate facilities for eating, breathing, speaking, etc. Also I feel like we could end up just dropping verbal speech.

You want to design several organs?  We would probably poop out of our mouths if it weren't for the fact that it's not sanitary.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2018, 01:39:42 am »

It’s funny when you are randomly browsing the internet and you recognize someone. Our favourite mod got comment of the week in a pretty well-known blog (don’t want to give more details in case that’s doxxing).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2018, 06:18:44 am »
+1

You want to design several organs?  We would probably poop out of our mouths if it weren't for the fact that it's not sanitary.
Yep, it's defnitely best to keep the number of openings where problematic stuff can enter to a minimum. When you design a spaceship, you don't drop airlocks all over the place for different functions [this is me speaking from my vast experience in designing spaceships].
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2018, 09:33:17 am »

I think it makes a lot of sense to have multi-purpose body parts. In many cases, it's easier for an existing body part to evolve to perform another function in addition to what it was already doing than for a completely new body part to emerge. For example, mudskippers use their fins for walking on land, because that's easier than growing a pair of legs or something.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2018, 12:57:17 pm »

I posted on Facebook that a co-worker looks a lot like Moss from the IT Crowd. Now my status is filled with Moss GIFs, and I'm deliriously happy.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2018, 04:16:11 pm »
+1

Yep, it's defnitely best to keep the number of openings where problematic stuff can enter to a minimum. When you design a spaceship, you don't drop airlocks all over the place for different functions [this is me speaking from my vast experience in designing spaceships].

I think it makes a lot of sense to have multi-purpose body parts. In many cases, it's easier for an existing body part to evolve to perform another function in addition to what it was already doing than for a completely new body part to emerge. For example, mudskippers use their fins for walking on land, because that's easier than growing a pair of legs or something.

And if you want proof that "intelligent design" is utter bullshit, look no further than these two systems and ask which the world looks more like!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2018, 05:39:16 pm »

PCA helps one think like blindfolds help one see. Sorry. Just had to get that out of my system.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2018, 05:40:46 pm »
+1

...principal component analysis?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2018, 07:53:58 pm »

And if you want proof that "intelligent design" is utter bullshit, look no further than these two systems and ask which the world looks more like!

Those be fighting words
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2018, 08:08:16 pm »

Fun fact: newborn babies can breathe through their noses while suckling using their mouths. We lose this ability at some point later.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2018, 09:18:47 pm »

Well, you don't open the airlock to send out messages.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2018, 09:19:49 pm »
+1

Fun fact: newborn babies can breathe through their noses while suckling using their mouths. We lose this ability at some point later.

They also don't need to make smalltalk. Babies seem to have it made.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2018, 11:26:09 pm »
+2

I must test this.

A lot.

For science.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2018, 12:06:15 am »

Time to put on your lab coat and head out to the bars.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.