Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Teasers!  (Read 108662 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Teasers!
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »
+1

Action - Treasure, turning Tributes into Mercenaries since Empires.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

iamsparticus

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2016, 03:58:25 pm »

Action - Treasure, turning Tributes into Mercenaries since Empires.

Tribute hits Harem and TBD Action/Treasure. +2 Cards, +2 Actions, +4 Money.

Beginner "My laboratory only provides +2 Cards, + 1 Action. I thought you said Dominion was balanced!"

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2016, 04:07:17 pm »

I mean it's an Action-Treasure.  If it's in play, it's an Action in play for Peddler.  It's also a Treasure in play for Bank. 

I dont see why it should have different effects if played differently.. 'Played as an Action' or 'Played as a Treasure' doesn't make sense to me.  Though, could behave differently whether it's your Action or Buy phase, that's fine.  But either way, you played both am Action and Treasure, either during your Action phase or during your buy phase.  Counts for all the things it counts for.

If you play it during your Action phase and it, say, doesn't give money, what's the problem?  Still a Treasure played.  HoP doesn't give money.

Of course, I'm just speculating.  I just don't see an issue with that behavior.

The parts of your post that I emphasized are what make the most sense to me.  If you play it during your action phase you get the action benefit and the treasure benefit.  If you chose not to use it during your action phase, but only in your buy phase, then you only get the treasure benefit.  Either way the card would always be both an action and a treasure for the purposes of things like Peddler and Bank.  So the result of playing it may change depending on when it is played, but its type never changes.

I don't see a huge benefit to behave differently on different phases.  There's nothing wrong with the version Seprix proposed.  You play it, draw 2 cards, continue with your buy phase as normal.  You're already used to playing and resolving one Treasure at a time.  Even if it gives +Actions, that makes a difference for, e.g., Diadem.

What if you don't want to draw?  Now you have an action/treasure card in your hand that can be used as neither.

EDIT: Obviously, if the action doesn't involve draw, this isn't an issue.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:10:16 pm by ObtusePunubiris »

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2016, 04:56:55 pm »

This Donald fellow must be a popular guy.

No kidding. And gaining respect like he's the creator of Dominion or something.

Well I strongly suspect that most of the guests were Redditors since this was posted to /r/dominion. And then somebody made a highly upvoted post on the thread that was just a copy-paste of the DXV so you didn't have to click through to f.ds. Not sure what yo conclude there.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2016, 05:06:16 pm »

Well I strongly suspect that most of the guests were Redditors since this was posted to /r/dominion. And then somebody made a highly upvoted post on the thread that was just a copy-paste of the DXV so you didn't have to click through to f.ds. Not sure what yo conclude there.

Adam and WW's cult followers, no doubt. This site is the real OG, and they are all heretics.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2016, 09:41:56 am »

My random thought for an Event that could cost $14:

Grand Bonfire
As many times as you like: trash a card you have in play, gain 1VP.

I choose to do this infinity times.  I trash all my cards in play and gain infinity VP.

(It needs an "if you did" clause!)
It was an example off the top of my head, not a bulletproof proposed card wording. I mean, as it stands Fortress is a bigger problem than the missing "if you did".

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2016, 10:00:56 am »
+1

My random thought for an Event that could cost $14:

Grand Bonfire
As many times as you like: trash a card you have in play, gain 1VP.

I choose to do this infinity times.  I trash all my cards in play and gain infinity VP.

(It needs an "if you did" clause!)
It was an example off the top of my head, not a bulletproof proposed card wording. I mean, as it stands Fortress is a bigger problem than the missing "if you did".
Fortress isn't a problem because you can't play it again in the middle of buying this event.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2016, 10:23:03 am »
+3

Adam and WW's cult followers, no doubt. This site is the real OG, and they are all heretics.

I'm actually none of those things, good or bad.  If someone accesses Reddit on a phone app (like I do most of the time), following a link to a forum which wasn't designed/optimized for mobile viewing can be slow and difficult to read.  I was just being considerate.  Also, I did quote what I copy-pasted so it was clear that it wasn't my content.  I guess I could have given it a heading like "from forum.dominionstrategy.com" or something. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:26:11 am by ObtusePunubiris »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »
+5

I'm actually none of those things, good or bad.  If someone accesses Reddit on a phone app (like I do most of the time), following a link to a forum which wasn't designed/optimized for mobile viewing can be slow and difficult to read.  I was just being considerate.  Also, I did quote what I copy-pasted so it was clear that it wasn't my content.  I guess I could have given it a heading like "from forum.dominionstrategy.com" or something.
And then people upvoted it because they like having someone save them effort!

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2016, 08:51:32 pm »

I feel like an Action-Treasure, to be interesting, probably needs to care either about card types (# of Actions in play, # of Treasures in hand, etc) or about when it's played, or both. Otherwise, why not just make it an Action card that does something during your Buy phase? So I predict that it will do something Tribute-like, and possibly have different effects depending on when it's played.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »
+2

I feel like an Action-Treasure, to be interesting, probably needs to care either about card types (# of Actions in play, # of Treasures in hand, etc) or about when it's played, or both. Otherwise, why not just make it an Action card that does something during your Buy phase? So I predict that it will do something Tribute-like, and possibly have different effects depending on when it's played.

What do you mean by "an Action card that does something during your Buy phase"?  It'll depend on the implementation, but I expect that the benefit of being a Treasure is that you can still play it in the Buy phase so the card can't be drawn dead, and the benefit of being an Action is that you can play it in the Action phase.  I agree that it should do something where that distinction of when it's played matters, but I don't think it needs to have different effects depending on that.  Maybe something as simple as:

Laurel Crown
$6 - Action-Treasure
Worth $2
[When you play this,] +2 cards

(It could say +$2 instead, but having the big $2 in a coin is more aesthetically interesting.)

You get the same effect either way.  You can't draw it dead since you can always play it in the Buy phase, but doing so may draw other cards dead since you can no longer play actions.  It's also a conspicuously absent set of vanilla bonuses.  For reference, here's a Secret Histories tidbit about that:

"Highway:" This was "+2 Cards +$2," for $5. It was a solid card that I eventually decided not to do. It seemed strong and it's too easy to compare to other things. It had no special charm.

Making it an Action-Treasure could be the twist that makes it harder to compare to other things and lend it the special charm it needs.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2016, 10:10:28 pm »

I guess I should have been even more over the top. Freaking Poe's Law.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2016, 03:00:41 am »

You can't Venture into an Action card.

I think it's pretty cool to have it be both an Action or Treasure so you can Golem into it or Venture into it.
And you can never draw it dead, that's pretty cool.

Even a simple +2 Cards (as Action) or +$2 (as Treasure) is neat enough.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:01:44 am by Davio »

ced

• Salvager
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2016, 04:52:56 am »

Dominion: Empires has:

- 76 pieces of card art.

Even considering Landmarks (however they work) and Events, as well as the piles with two different cards, that's a lot of art.

- 60 VP symbols.

Again, that's a lot. I have no idea. Maybe Landmarks will have multiple VP symbols on them?

- 16 red hexagons.

The fact that these only come in red indicate that there isn't any player ownership attached to them (unless they work like VP tokens). My guess is that you put them on top of supply piles and they affect all players equally once placed.

- 10 uses of "Setup."

I predict Landmarks.

- 2 Duration cards.

Only two? I predict two more cards like Hireling.

- 2 ways to trash cards from the Supply.

Trashing from any old supply pile doesn't seem very fun. My guess is that there are actions that can trash additional copies of themselves from the supply for a greater effect. E.g. a terminal Silver that gives +$3 instead if you trash another copy from the supply.

- An Action-Treasure card.

I saw someone suggest that this card might trash itself when played in a particular mode, so that it's easier to tell what mode you play it in. Something like a 5-cost +3 cards that you can play as a 1-shot Gold in your buy phase perhaps? That's a simple BM card.

- An Event costing $14.

Cost reduction seems the most likely thing going on here.

- A way to double your money.

Event, $3, +1 buy, double your money once per turn. $7 buys a Province, $11 buys two, $14 buys two Colonies.

- A way to bid.

Coins are the obvious thing to bid with, but the turn-based nature of the game makes this unbalanced in favor of the active player. I could see an auction happening during setup. Perhaps there is an 11th Kingdom card and you bid to get exclusive use of it. The loser gets some VP tokens. Kind of like the classic bidding games e.g. Contract Bridge. You have favorable play conditions, but have to score X more points than the opponent.
Or maybe you bid using your trusty red hexagons.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2016, 05:00:36 am »

Would be cool to procession the Action - Treasure, get it from the trash and subsequently play it as a Treasure.

Even cooler to play it with BM as Treasure,  buy Mandarin,  play it as an Action, then play it as Treasure again.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2016, 07:19:59 am »

And then people upvoted it because they like having someone save them effort!

We're pretty low energy in r/dominion. But mobile first is a thing...

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2016, 07:47:40 am »

- 76 pieces of card art.

Even considering Landmarks (however they work) and Events, as well as the piles with two different cards, that's a lot of art.
Well if the Dual-Piles have a unique randomizer a la knights then that's 3 pieces of art per Dual-Pile. So minus 3 for 20 landmarks and 10 events, that's 46. So with anywhere from 1-5 Dual Piles we still have just enough leftover art.

- 60 VP symbols.
Again, that's a lot. I have no idea. Maybe Landmarks will have multiple VP symbols on them?
That's what I figured. There will probably be a lot that mention VP twice. I predict a card that has 5 VP symbols on it.

- 16 red hexagons.
The fact that these only come in red indicate that there isn't any player ownership attached to them (unless they work like VP tokens). My guess is that you put them on top of supply piles and they affect all players equally once placed.
I had an idea that the hexagons are icons on a card, which refer to a curse/debt token.

- 10 uses of "Setup."
I predict Landmarks.
Sounds about right, but I'm still hoping for something a la baker.

- 2 Duration cards.
Only two? I predict two more cards like Hireling.
Nah, otherwise they would have been in adventures. Probably they are outtakes from when adventures was a treasure chest, and were moved here once adventures dropped VP tokens and the rest.

- 2 ways to trash cards from the Supply.

Trashing from any old supply pile doesn't seem very fun. My guess is that there are actions that can trash additional copies of themselves from the supply for a greater effect. E.g. a terminal Silver that gives +$3 instead if you trash another copy from the supply.

- An Action-Treasure card.

I saw someone suggest that this card might trash itself when played in a particular mode, so that it's easier to tell what mode you play it in. Something like a 5-cost +3 cards that you can play as a 1-shot Gold in your buy phase perhaps? That's a simple BM card.
It might move as an treasure, rather than trashing itself. e.g. "+2 coins, put this on top of your deck."

- An Event costing $14.

Cost reduction seems the most likely thing going on here.
Probably, but a flat 14 would be epic.

- A way to double your money.

Event, $3, +1 buy, double your money once per turn. $7 buys a Province, $11 buys two, $14 buys two Colonies.
I agree with your event prediction, but it would make sense to throw in another buy.

- A way to bid.
Coins are the obvious thing to bid with, but the turn-based nature of the game makes this unbalanced in favor of the active player. I could see an auction happening during setup. Perhaps there is an 11th Kingdom card and you bid to get exclusive use of it. The loser gets some VP tokens. Kind of like the classic bidding games e.g. Contract Bridge. You have favorable play conditions, but have to score X more points than the opponent.
Or maybe you bid using your trusty red hexagons.
[/quote]
"Can we stop talking about the hexagons? Do people really care about the hexagons? I mean, people are always joining up 3 points, how often do they join up eight?"

(Bonus points if you know where that quote is from) I think bidding will be done with VP, with curse tokens if you bid over. Or you could bid with debt tokens that are worth -VP if they aren't paid off. Here's a theory:

The red hexagon symbol is a symbol on cards referring to taking debt tokens. Each card with a red hexagon has "Setup: add repay to the supply" Repay is an event that reads: $2, return one of your debt tokens. If you did, +1 buy. Each debt token is worth -2 VP at the end of the game. Certain piles will allow you to get them cheaper. "When you buy this, you may take up to X debt tokens, +$1 per token taken." Bidding is done buy bidding coin amounts. Then you must play any number of treasures from your hand and pay all your $. Take debt tokens for +$1 until you have reached your bid.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2016, 08:06:14 am »

Regarding VP symbols: Maybe there will be (non-)cards that give a different amount of VP, depending on how often/good you did something, nonlinearly.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2016, 08:08:35 am »
+2

Also, can Donald get up already?
Please?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2016, 08:13:26 am »
+1

Please?

It's, like, 5am where he is right now
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2016, 08:30:04 am »
+4

Please?

It's, like, 5am where he is right now

Oh, he's up all right. He has logged in as a guest and is watching us plead and beg for previews like a 4-year-old begging for dessert.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:35:37 am by McGarnacle »
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2016, 08:45:02 am »

- 76 pieces of card art.

Well if the Dual-Piles have a unique randomizer a la knights then that's 3 pieces of art per Dual-Pile. So minus 3 for 20 landmarks and 10 events, that's 46. So with anywhere from 1-5 Dual Piles we still have just enough leftover art.

For that much art, I'm thinking like 8-10 dual piles, and why not? If it's a theme that hasn't really been done before, there's a lot you could do with it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:59:31 am by Ankenaut »

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2016, 08:53:41 am »

- 16 red hexagons.
I had an idea that the hexagons are icons on a card, which refer to a curse/debt token.

The thing about regular hexagons is that they fit together (think Catan board), so I like the idea that they're tokens that can be fit together. That doesn't exclude them from being symbols on cards too though. 

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2016, 09:12:01 am »

A bit more to chew on: It has 300 cards and 96 metal tokens. There are cards you can buy now and pay for later, piles with two different cards, and Landmarks which add new ways to score. VP tokens and Events return from previous sets.

Jay

Buying now and paying for later seems like a place for bidding to come in--maybe bid for when you will pay with a penalty if the game ends before you can do so.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2016, 10:18:25 am »
+1

Hmm.  For previous sets, previews were posted around 10.  Did Donald X have too fun of a weekend?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.