Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 4513 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Electric Cars
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:00:50 am »
+1

I've been thinking about a potential first car for a few weeks (I can dream, right?) and I've decided that for a miser like myself gas is far too expensive. This means I've been looking into other options, and a used electric car is looking better and better. There are charging areas locally (close enough to walk to from my house) and it's not like I'll be going on huge road trips anyway.

I have plenty of time to think about getting a car, much less an electric one, but what are some things to consider? Are there any enormous cons to a used electric car? Does anyone on the forum have an electric car?

EDIT: I did a little more research and electric cars in my state can be bought used for under $10,000. Sure, they might not be the best, but I can realistically raise that much money by myself. Now we have to find out how they run in snow/sub zero temperatures.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:18:55 am by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Cars
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:21:11 am »
+1

You may want to double check how long the batteries on electric cars last, especially if you're buying used. I know someone who sold their hybrid because they were nearing the expected lifespan of their battery and wanted to sell it while it was still working. This was about 4 years ago, so technology may have advanced past this being a concern.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:26:21 am »

You may want to double check how long the batteries on electric cars last, especially if you're buying used. I know someone who sold their hybrid because they were nearing the expected lifespan of their battery and wanted to sell it while it was still working. This was about 4 years ago, so technology may have advanced past this being a concern.
They supposedly have a life of 10 years, and I'd assume you could get the battery replaced for under $2,000 max. I also read that there were 10 year warranties, and although I am sure there are warranties, I doubt they are that generous.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 06:46:31 am »

In summer I drive a pure electric Peugeot Partner at work (and I've used an identical one in winter a few times). That's in Norway, and I can guarantee that the car worked well in sub zero temperatures, the only problem being that keeping the cabin warm consumes a LOT of battery. The summer battery life is about 135 km, but in winter with snow tyres and 18 degrees in the cabin the battery lasts for slightly over half of that distance. We resorted to dressing up very warm when driving. ;)
I can't speak about battery life since both cars are very new (1 year or so), but I think in Norway they are advertised as lasting 10 years.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 01:30:54 pm »

They supposedly have a life of 10 years, and I'd assume you could get the battery replaced for under $2,000 max.

This is optimistic. I've seen batteries run over $5000 for certain hybrid models, even after government subsidies. Definitely do your research here.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 03:32:28 pm »
+3

I'm fully intending to pre-order a Tesla 3 when the option becomes available.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 06:44:03 pm »

Just buy a diesel.  I love mine.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 10:11:38 pm »

So right now, I think electric cars are only cheaper if you live in a city. Things like the Nissan Leaf, ones that have very small ranges are cheaper.  But their range won't get you say, from Ann Arbor to Cincinati. Things like the Tesla will get you a lot further, but the money you save on gas for a Tesla won't pay for itself.

*disclaimer: I've done no actual math, and the last I read about any of this was a long time ago*

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 11:48:27 pm »

Except a Tesla is also just a cool car. I am very interested in getting a Tesla myself, but will probably have to wait a bit (you know, 7-8 years) until I have run my car into the ground.

....unless....my future wife's car is already basically run into the ground....I convince her to take my current car and I upgrade to a Tesla....
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 12:01:45 am »

Except a Tesla is also just a cool car. I am very interested in getting a Tesla myself, but will probably have to wait a bit (you know, 7-8 years) until I have run my car into the ground.

....unless....my future wife's car is already basically run into the ground....I convince her to take my current car and I upgrade to a Tesla....
What do you mean 'cool car?'

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 12:20:55 am »

https://vimeo.com/140889963

I mean, granted, that is their SUV. But seriously, who wouldn't want one? I mean, falcon wing doors? Not to mention the safety ratings and performance capabilities. Just a cool car.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 07:19:51 am »

The only charging station I have seen near where I live is at Whole Foods, so if you shop there on the way to everywhere, you're golden.

Nobody drives an electric car here.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 12:03:16 pm »
+3

My dad owns a Tesla. I've driven it a few times. It is the greatest car ever made and anyone who disagrees can fight me.

Not even like "it's a great electric car", it's a great car full stop. It has the lowest CG ever because of its all electric drive with four motors by the wheels rather than a raised engine block. You can take corners at stupidly fast speeds without losing traction. It has fucking autopilot for freeway driving, so you can pretty much read the paper while driving (don't do that). It's mouse fart quiet - if you're a passenger not paying attention to the road, at some point you'll just feel the car pulling on you and look up and hey you went 0 to 60 on an on-ramp in 5 seconds without making any noise. If you ever get the chance, ride in one.

The only caveat is that even with a 200 mile range, you really do want a charger at home for this, so if you rent a home or have off street parking or whatever, that's not going to work well. In that case I would get a plug in hybrid or something. The Volt and the new Prius Prime both look like great options. If you aren't made of money and want an all electric car, the Bolt from GM will be out by next year and should have 200 mile range for under 30K.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 04:43:09 pm »
+2

I just got a 2013 Chevy Volt and it is amazing.  I get about 35-40 miles of pure electric range before a gasoline engine kicks in to recharge the battery while driving adding another 200+miles of driving.  Functionally, I drive it like an EV with my 30ish mile commute but it has the gas engine to enable longer road trips = no range anxiety.  This really is the perfect car while the infrastructure for pure EVs is still evolving. 

Volts are also super cheap right now too making them perfect to buy.  My Volt which would have been 40k 3 years ago as a new car was just under 14k.  Customers are still weary regarding EV reliability and are not informed about what makes the Volt such a good car.  Within the next 5 years EVs will not depreciate as much as they do now.  There is no gas engine car that I could have gotten for the value of my Volt.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 06:04:51 pm »

I just got a 2013 Chevy Volt and it is amazing.  I get about 35-40 miles of pure electric range before a gasoline engine kicks in to recharge the battery while driving adding another 200+miles of driving.  Functionally, I drive it like an EV with my 30ish mile commute but it has the gas engine to enable longer road trips = no range anxiety.  This really is the perfect car while the infrastructure for pure EVs is still evolving. 

Volts are also super cheap right now too making them perfect to buy.  My Volt which would have been 40k 3 years ago as a new car was just under 14k.  Customers are still weary regarding EV reliability and are not informed about what makes the Volt such a good car.  Within the next 5 years EVs will not depreciate as much as they do now.  There is no gas engine car that I could have gotten for the value of my Volt.

This is pretty meaningful coming from you. Aren't batteries kinda your "thing"?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 08:36:22 am »

This is pretty meaningful coming from you. Aren't batteries kinda your "thing"?

They sure are!  I probably wouldn't have gotten this car if I hadn't known as much about batteries as I do.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 11:42:44 am »

https://vimeo.com/140889963

I mean, granted, that is their SUV. But seriously, who wouldn't want one? I mean, falcon wing doors? Not to mention the safety ratings and performance capabilities. Just a cool car.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 20 queries.