Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Dominion Cards You Hate  (Read 18140 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Cards You Hate
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 11:42:36 pm »
+3

My least favorite card is probably Doctor. (OK, I have six cards left in my deck: three Coppers, Estate and a Silver. So let's name Copper... ->> FUUUUUUUU!!! you know what happens)
But it has a nice use in a middle/late game sometimes, just for reordering, it's almost like a free Scout in your deck!!, very useful.

Btw, about Rebuild, is it just me or people nowadays play way less Rebuild mirrors than say a year ago?
Maybe we became more sophisticated at playing engines or maybe Rebuild was just a tiny bit overestimated initially.
Any opinions?
Wrong. It's nowhere near as tactical or useful as a Scout. First of all, it doesn't give you an action. This makes it infinitely worse than Scout. But what else makes Doctor for reordering terrible? Let's make a list.
1. It doesn't give +1 Action
2. It looks at less cards
3. It can't put Victory cards in your hand
4. It's a worse Remodel/trash for benefit card
5. The art is worse
6. It can't be effectively Throne Roomed
7. It can't be effectively King's Courted
8. It can't be effectively Royal Carriage'd
9. It can't be effectively Procession'd
10. You have to waste time naming cards.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2016, 12:21:10 am »
+5

No one give RoadRunner respect!  He is at the amount of respect he deserves.  You demon!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:22:52 am by gkrieg13 »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:46 am »

My least favorite card is probably Doctor. (OK, I have six cards left in my deck: three Coppers, Estate and a Silver. So let's name Copper... ->> FUUUUUUUU!!! you know what happens)
I completely agree about Doctor.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2016, 01:01:35 am »

Stables.  Whenever I try to use it, I always keep drawing a hand with treasure but no Stables followed by a hand with several Stables and no treasure (or vice versa).  And then in the next game when Stables look like a good idea, I tell myself that there's no such thing as an "unlucky card," that Stables shouldn't be that bad, and that my past experiences are just a statistical outlier (with maybe a bit of confirmation bias) and no predictor of how good Stables will be in the current game...only for it to happen again and make me lose.  So frustrating, especially since I know that it's really not a bad card, just one I tend to have bad experiences with.

I'd have to see how you're playing. That almost never happens to me. You might be overbuying Stables, for example.
I do tend to try to go for deck-drawing engines more often than I should.  I doubt it's purely the Stables:Treasure ratio, though, because of all the Stable-less hands (which are more common than the treasureless hands).  Or is Stables more of a money-ish card where you might hope to play a couple on a good turn but not rely on it for significant draw, and just accept that a significant percentage of your hands aren't going to have any draw in them (almost halfway between an actual engine and Big Money-Terminal Draw)?
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2016, 01:33:58 am »

Cutpurse. It  invariably means I spend the first 3 shuffles gettting $4 hands, which I spend on buying my own Cutpurses that hit their Cutpurse-Silver-Silver-Estate-Estate hands.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2016, 10:08:11 am »
+1

Ghost Ship is just dreadful to play against in a lot of circumstances. For every game where there is a clever workaround for it (trashing, Herald, Horse Traders, Wishing Well) there are six other games where you fall one step behind your opponent, they play this every turn, and you spend the rest of the game wishing for death.

Swindler is bullshit. It literally always lands on my key cards and never lands on theirs. And it keeps fucking everything up until the end of the game.

Possession and Rebuild suck. Cultist would too but I usually win Cultist games so I don't mind it so much :P
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2016, 10:39:22 am »

re: stables, you may be trashing too much copper.  unless you have silver/gold gainers you can afford to play, you'll probably need to keep some copper around to make stables work.  in a goons engine that needs stables for draw, for example, it's more efficient to keep some copper than to trash it and spend turns buying silver; the whole point is to play as many goons as possible each turn, so the amount of money you get from your treasures isn't all *that* important.

now, you don't want to keep ALL your starting copper, but only trashing maybe 2-3 is a decent rule of thumb in my experience.  again, this assumes that you can't quickly & easily add a bunch of other treasures.  with something like treasure trove, of course you want that copper gone ASAP!

EDIT: i saw you mention the hands with only treasure are more common.  that's normal to an extent, but you may not be going after stables aggressively enough if it keeps happening.  if it's your main draw, you should treat it like minion or governor: a split you HAVE to go even on, at minimum.  the more you can get and the earlier you can get them, the better.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:41:58 am by funkdoc »

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2016, 12:05:44 pm »
+2

If you are playing IRL, you might just not be shuffling well enough.  I find that is probably one of the biggest causes of repeated terminal collision.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2016, 05:54:26 pm »
+3

I don't understand how this thread went on so long without anyone pointing out that Minion is the stupidest card in Dominion.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2016, 05:56:23 pm »
+5

I don't understand how this thread went on so long without anyone pointing out that Minion is the stupidest card in Dominion.

Minion is so cool.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2016, 05:56:33 pm »

Minion is so cool.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2016, 06:16:00 pm »

The thing is, I don't always hate Minion. Sometimes it's kinda neat, depending on the support (it's really cool with say Fishing Village and some strong terminal payload). Spy is always stupid, and Possession and Rebuild almost always are to me.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2016, 09:05:50 pm »
+4

Minion is the only card in "Dominion" that I can think of . . .

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2016, 09:34:13 pm »

i never fully understood the hate for minion, but then i'm so used to monolithic strats

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2016, 11:01:51 pm »
+1

i never fully understood the hate for minion, but then i'm so used to monolithic strats
minion is about as monolithic as wharf
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2016, 08:44:32 pm »
+2

I think the one I hate the most would have to be familiar, so many mirrors are decided by reaching or not reaching 3P during the second shuffle, and still, most times, you just canīt ignore it...

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2016, 09:08:17 pm »
+5

Minion is annoying. I've hated it ever since my friend made me discard my 10 card Tactician hand. Now I know the Tactician gives you those cards at the start of your hand. Oh well.  :-[
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2016, 02:33:42 am »

I think the one I hate the most would have to be familiar, so many mirrors are decided by reaching or not reaching 3P during the second shuffle, and still, most times, you just canīt ignore it...

This is true. It really should cost $2p

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2016, 02:46:04 am »
+1

This is true. It really should cost $2p

Or people should play with more Alchemy cards at once, so that when they miss $3P, $2P still buys them something good.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2016, 02:01:28 pm »

It's not a card, but Raid.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2016, 08:35:59 pm »
+1

Possession, because of the rules hassles (and IRL because of the logistics hassles).

Rebuild, because of its degeneracy.

Tournament and Black Market, because they break the "everything available to everyone" idea.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2016, 03:52:58 am »
+1

I hate Cultist with a passion. Cultist is the only card in the game that is just flat-out overpowered imo. I mean, cards such as Chapel, Page, King's Court and Goons are also strong, but at least they make the game more interesting and they are only part of a good strategy, not a strategy in and of itself.

Other than that, I'm not too fond of cards that give my opponent a benefit, it just feels bad to play/gain them. So that's Council Room, Lost City, Governor and sometimes Embassy.

Unlike most people, I do like Saboteur. It's not very strong, of course, but if you manage to get a Saboteur-centered strategy working, you rip your opponent's deck to shreds and it feels awesome. Same thing goes for Discard/KC/Masq. It's just a different win condition than normal Dominion games, which is interesting enough by itself.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.