Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22  All

Author Topic: Secret Hitler II - Game Over  (Read 50250 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Secret Hitler II - Game Over
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:59:45 pm »

Germany, 1933:  The government is corrupt and paranoid.  No one can be trusted.  Can you bring about Hitler's rise or fall?

Welcome to Secret Hitler.  The full rules are available here:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxtemkin/secret-hitler/posts/1426121

----

The game is played in rounds, each of which has three phases:

Election Phase

1. The first Presidential candidate will be chosen randomly; after that, candidacy passes clockwise (down the list).

2. The Presidential candidate selects another player to run as the Chancellor candidate.  This cannot be either player who recently enacted a policy in the Legislative Phase.

3. You may discuss as much or as little as you wish.  At any time, PM your vote to the moderator.  After all players have voted, the moderator will reveal the results of the vote.  Ballots are simultaneous but not secret; all votes will be revealed.

4. If the vote is tied or a majority votes No, the next player becomes the Presidential candidate.  If this happens three times in a row, the top policy is immediately enacted.

5. If a majority votes Yes, the next phase begins.

6. In the case of a player failing to submit a vote within 48 hours of a proposal being made, a reminder will be sent to vote unless they have announced they are V/LA. If they do not vote within 24 hours of this reminder, they will be counted as not voting and the vote will be tallied as though they don't exist.

6a. "Not voting" is a mechanic to keep the game moving in case a player is AWOL, and should not be used as a strategic option to avoid voting.

Legislative Phase

The Legislative Phase happens entirely in PMs.  No discussion may happen during this phase.

1. The moderator will send a PM to the President with the three drawn policies.

2. The President will PM the moderator and indicate a discard.

3. The moderator will PM the Chancellor with the remaining two cards.

4. The Chancellor will PM the moderator and indicate a discard and a card to enact.

5. The moderator will reveal the enacted policy.  After this, everyone is free to discuss what happened.  As with all social deduction games, you are free to lie.

6. If a fascist policy is enacted, the Executive phase may occur.  Otherwise, another election is held.

Executive Phase

The President must use the power granted.  They are free to solicit advice from any or all players, but the President must make the final decision.

Investigation -- 2nd action with 7-8 players

The President publicly selects a player to investigate.  The moderator will PM the President with the party identity of the investigated player (Hitler will be identified as Fascist, but not as Hitler).  The President may keep the information secret, reveal it, or lie.

Special Election -- 3rd action with 7-10 players

The President publicly selects the next candidate for President.  After the special election (and any phases that would follow it), the candidacy returns to its normal turn order.

Execution -- 4th and 5th actions

The President selects a player to be executed.  If the player was Hitler, the moderator reveals this, and the Liberals win.  No other information is revealed.  The eliminated player cannot participate further, but will of course be recognized as a martyr for the cause if their team wins.

Veto Power -- 5th action

After the second execution, the Legislative phase changes.  The Chancellor may publicly decide to enact neither of the cards they are passed.  The President must publicly give the chancellor permission to do so, or refuse.  If the veto is used, none of the cards are revealed to other players, and this counts as a failed election.

Game End

If Hitler is executed, the Liberals win.
If 5 Liberal policies are enacted (of 6 in the deck), the Liberals win.
If 6 Fascist policies are enacted (of 11 in the deck), the Fascists win and Hitler rises to power.
If Hitler is elected Chancellor after three Fascist policies are enacted, the Fascists win.

----

Guidelines

Moderator text will be in red and usually in bold.

As with all games of this sort, Wheaton's Law applies at all times: Don't be a dick.  Private discussions or revelation of information, even between teammates, breaks the game and counts as being a dick.

Signups:
Seprix
Hydrad
Gkrieg13
Chairs
ghostofmars
Silverspawn
faust

(First post shamelessly stolen in its entirety from Kirian's Secret Hitler I)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:21:58 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Secret Hitler II - Signups open!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 01:09:54 pm »

I might be interested in playing this with f.dsers on TTS some time, but it seems to take a lot of time for what it is as a forum game so I think I have to pass.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:14:12 pm »

/in

Will we use any deadlines this time?

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »

/in

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 01:49:20 pm »

/in.

Deadlines should be implemented

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 04:11:59 pm »

/in
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 04:22:22 pm »

/in.

Deadlines should be implemented
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 05:47:44 pm »

I'm pretty bad at implementing deadlines, heh, but what do people think would be fair to happen if you haven't voted by a deadline (without giving any advanced notification that you'll be V/LA at least)? Automatic no? Automatic yes? Random? All of those things have issues.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 05:53:08 pm »

I'm pretty bad at implementing deadlines, heh, but what do people think would be fair to happen if you haven't voted by a deadline (without giving any advanced notification that you'll be V/LA at least)? Automatic no? Automatic yes? Random? All of those things have issues.

Why not simply no vote? Plus whoever missed the deadline cannot be in the government the following round.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 05:54:03 pm »

Of course a successful government would only require a majority among those players that handed in a vote.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:47:13 pm »

/in in in in in in
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 11:20:26 pm »

Why not simply no vote? Plus whoever missed the deadline cannot be in the government the following round.

No vote sounds like a good option to me.  Then it doesn't really hurt one team more than the other if they don't vote.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 08:43:59 pm »

How long do we wait for more players to join?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 10:54:56 pm »

... /in if there are still free spots

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 12:59:31 pm »

Here is my suggestion for the deadlines. Tables creates a Google Sheets sheet for the game and shares an individual sheet with each player.* In this every player has a table with president/chancellor as column/row in which he enters which government, he would approve/reject.

Instead of sending PMs to Tables, we update the table in our individual sheet and once the deadline passes, Tables can just collect the results from the individual sheets. In this way, there is no difference whether a player misses a deadline or not, because the sheet should always be up-to-date. Essentially the table represents a set of conditional orders that is enacted soon after the government is proposed.

Because the sheet should be up-to-date all the time, we can make very short voting deadlines (e.g. 48h) after the (potential) president proposes the government. I would prefer a rather generous discussion deadline.

*) I don't know if Google Sheets allow individual sharing now. Otherwise a separate document for every player would be necessary which would be more work.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 01:45:50 pm »

Here is my suggestion for the deadlines. Tables creates a Google Sheets sheet for the game and shares an individual sheet with each player.* In this every player has a table with president/chancellor as column/row in which he enters which government, he would approve/reject.

Instead of sending PMs to Tables, we update the table in our individual sheet and once the deadline passes, Tables can just collect the results from the individual sheets. In this way, there is no difference whether a player misses a deadline or not, because the sheet should always be up-to-date. Essentially the table represents a set of conditional orders that is enacted soon after the government is proposed.

Because the sheet should be up-to-date all the time, we can make very short voting deadlines (e.g. 48h) after the (potential) president proposes the government. I would prefer a rather generous discussion deadline.

*) I don't know if Google Sheets allow individual sharing now. Otherwise a separate document for every player would be necessary which would be more work.

This is awesome.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 02:37:40 pm »

I'll probably start the game soon, signups have been open for a little while.

Hmm... I'll look in to doing that soon. Otherwise I'll probably go with faust's suggestion.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 06:00:41 am »

It turns out there is not an option to share individual sheets. There is the possibility to create a master and several player sheets. You can look at the following examples. The key function is IMPORTRANGE().

master sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11q1r_QKdsc_ITopfAY-Q7ZbTThKSxjE4QJpmgzTYKBM/edit?usp=sharing

individual player sheets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10VSPsuPeJw-fqEihgfBZqUDDSV4a9U3owz8ExrAxGc0/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S1TkZLBe57Tj0cmaC_SsGcAJAcyLClMPklHDzNNBbXU/edit?usp=sharing

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 08:25:12 am »

Personally, I feel like the no vote option would be more practical, probably with reminders before enacting it. And people can always send COs via PM anyway, which I can collect when a proposal is made. I think I would prefer going for that solution.

Going to start the game later today. Will give a final chance for people to sign up.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 08:43:04 am »

Okay well let's get this thing started I guess.

The game is currently being set up. Role PMs will be sent out shortly

There are three kinds of role PM:

You are a liberal.

You win by killing Hitler or enacting 5 liberal policies.

You are a fascist. The fascists are X and Y. Z is Hitler.

You win by electing Hitler as Chancellor when 3 or more fascist policies are in play, or enacting 6 fascist policies.

You are Hitler.

You win by being elected as Chancellor when 3 or more fascist policies are in play, or enacting 6 fascist policies.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 09:06:48 am »

The game has now begun.

Game State

Turn Order, current President or candidate in bold, current Chancellor or candidate in italic:

Seprix
Hydrad
Gkrieg13
Chairs
ghostofmars
Silverspawn
faust

Liberal Policies enacted: 0
Fascist Policies enacted: 0
Next Executive Power: None
Recent Failed Governments: 0

Deck: 17 cards
Discard: 0 cards

Deck and discard contain (total): 11 Fascist, 6 Liberal

There are 7 players in this game. That means there are 4 liberal players, 2 fascists and Hitler. Hitler does not know who the fascists are. The Executive Powers are as follows:

1st fascist law: None
2nd fascist law: Investigation
3rd fascist law: Special Election
--Fascists can now win by electing Hitler as Chancellor--
4th fascist law: Execution
5th fascist law: Execution
--Veto power is now unlocked--
6th fascist law: Fascists win

I have decided on a no vote policy for deadlines. A reminder will be given after 48 hours if a player has not voted, giving them another 24 hours to vote in. If people still fail to vote after that window, then they will be given a no vote status and the election will be decided as though that player was not in the game.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:33:05 am by Tables »

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Hitler II - Round 1
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 09:08:30 am »

Hype status: hyped.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 09:11:15 am »

I think there should be 6 liberal policies?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 09:11:28 am »

Hi. I will vote down any government except gkrieg's I think.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 09:20:51 am »

It clearly benefits me to vote yes to Seprix's government so I have the hammer for government round 2, and that in turn would line you up for the round 3 hammer, faust. That said, I almost prefer to not be in a government at first myself because I feel like you get more information from seeing the discussion after the president and chancellor ultimately decide policy. I say (and stress) almost only because if I'm in a government myself I know I can maximize the chances of passing a liberal card, whereas if I'm not in the government I'm leaving that decision up to others.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.