Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Paintings  (Read 5241 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Dominion Paintings
« on: March 05, 2016, 07:26:31 pm »
+4

I have excellent news! My mother has been wanting to repaint my room since early 2015. We have been fighting a constant battle, she likes boring colors like eggshell white and extra light tan. I guess you could call them 'mild pastels.' I like awesome colors, like violet and brightish orange.

Recently, she has offered to paint the Dominion logo (the word 'Dominion' that you see on the back of every card) on one of my walls, and she will paint the art of one Dominion card! She's not a professional painter, so we went through all the cards and determined if we liked the colors, simplicity, etc.

We managed to narrow it down to seven cards: Forager, Spice Merchant, Swindler, Tactician, Noble Brigand, Scout and Messenger.

She wouldn't paint the backgrounds of any of them, that includes the dark faces in the foreground of Tactician.   

She will paint the berry on Forager's card. She'll paint anything in their hands, like Noble Brigand's bow and Tactician's knife.

Messenger's satchel will be included.

But I have to choose between them. So I've come to my favorite forum for input: is there anything about these cards that would make them better or worse candidates?
We've already considered trying to fall asleep with a hooded figure pointing a notched arrow at me (the painting will be on the wall across from my bed).

Thanks in advance! 

And Donald: Is there any copyright things that we should worry about?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:29:00 pm by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Paintings
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:46:05 pm »
+3

For you, it should definitely be Scout.
If it were me choosing from those, I think I'd go with Messenger or Noble Brigand.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:22:54 pm »
+11

If you paint a scout on your wall, then once you grow out of liking scout and thinking the card is good, scout will still be there, mocking you with his crippled hands.

So yeah, scout for sure.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:27:34 pm »

I'd say Messenger, Forager, or Scout would look best on a wall, although yeah, definitely you should go with Scout since it's your thing.  I can't imagine there would be any copyright things to worry about; it's your own room.  Also, this sounds awesome!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:30:05 pm »
+12

Man there are so many. Copyrights are an awful way to handle letting people make stuff up for a living. It's this ridiculous scam on the world. I always point at how income scales with population size. You write a song on an island with 10K people, 1 in 100 like it, that's 100 sales and no real income. You write a song in the Star Wars universe, you could buy a planet with what it earns you. You do the same amount of work either way. A guy making a chair just gets to sell the chair once, whether in the Star Wars universe or on that island.

The United States has gone for the copyright scam very heavily, meaning we are raking in cash currently, but may be in trouble if the world wises up and it suddenly becomes good to be making chairs.

That really all seems like a topic for the RPS forum though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 01:20:35 am »

Man there are so many. Copyrights are an awful way to handle letting people make stuff up for a living. It's this ridiculous scam on the world. I always point at how income scales with population size. You write a song on an island with 10K people, 1 in 100 like it, that's 100 sales and no real income. You write a song in the Star Wars universe, you could buy a planet with what it earns you. You do the same amount of work either way. A guy making a chair just gets to sell the chair once, whether in the Star Wars universe or on that island.

The United States has gone for the copyright scam very heavily, meaning we are raking in cash currently, but may be in trouble if the world wises up and it suddenly becomes good to be making chairs.

I love how this ignores the intended question yet starts a great discussion of the unintended question.

I'm not a copyright expert, but I'm pretty certain you can paint anything you want in your private room,  even a giant Disney logo, and it doesn't fall under copyright.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 02:07:04 am »

I love how this ignores the intended question yet starts a great discussion of the unintended question.

I'm not a copyright expert, but I'm pretty certain you can paint anything you want in your private room,  even a giant Disney logo, and it doesn't fall under copyright.

As long as it is not on public display, I'm pretty sure this is fine.

Samuel

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 07:57:43 am »

If you paint a scout on your wall, then once you grow out of liking scout and thinking the card is good, scout will still be there, mocking you with his crippled hands.
The solution is simple: Stick to Scout! That makes you unique in the world. (In German we call it "Alleinstellungsmerkmal".)
So yeah, scout for sure.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 08:04:39 am »
+1

+1 for Messenger.
I like the atmosphere, the scene with the rushed messenger. His/Her face is hardly visible what's good for imagination. Painting faces is also advanced, one can easily fail trying. (see Chancellor, Harem, Shanty Town)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:23:40 am »
+1

Tactician or Messenger would be my vote.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mustang255

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Mustang255
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
    • Souva Games
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 09:39:04 am »
+6

Here are some images to make this thread prettier.

Couldn't find just the art of Messenger.

Just knowing that you are the Scout guy, I don't see how I could vote for anything other than Scout.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 11:00:10 am »
+2

+1 for Messenger.
I like the atmosphere, the scene with the rushed messenger. His/Her face is hardly visible what's good for imagination. Painting faces is also advanced, one can easily fail trying. (see Chancellor, Harem, Shanty Town)
Painting faces is something to think about for sure.
And nice username-we should get drinks sometime.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 12:27:31 pm »
+4

I hate to be that guy, but in my opinion, with very few exceptions, the card art in Dominion is really, really bad. Much looks like amateurs trying too hard, like art students who aren't quite making it. The detail is sloppy, the perspective is off, and the proportions and colors aren't sufficiently correct to qualify as impressionistic. The figures and faces are painful to behold. Even art trying to be "cartoonish" has to have correct minimal elements, and they rarely are. Of the card art posted, for example, only Noble Brigand looks like it was done by a professional.

Compare the cards to other professional commercial artists; anything from book covers to (modern) Magic cards. Dominion art is just not good.

And yes, faces and figures are very hard. For a wall mural, I would strongly recommend simply the logo and a landscape, which is much easier to pull off, such as the Hinterlands cover, Feodum, Island, etc. Calm, serene, and nothing to stare at you.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 12:40:49 pm »
+1

I hate to be that guy, but in my opinion, with very few exceptions, the card art in Dominion is really, really bad.

The artwork in Adventures is much much better. And for what it's worth I think the best art in all of pre-Adventures Dominion is Wharf.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 10:57:15 am »

I'd choose Tactician. Simple, Elegant, and he comes across as a brooding tactical (ha) genius.

But for the love of St. Patty do not do Noble Brigand. As someone who has a semi vested interest in archery, that art work makes my teeth grind everytime I see it. The problem is that the way he is holding the bow/arrow is that the arrow would just fall to the ground instead of staying next to the bow, as depicted. (See how it's not supported on the side that gravity wants you to go...). Especially if he tried to shoot it. Boink! Right into the ground.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 11:02:03 am »
+3

I'd choose Tactician. Simple, Elegant, and he comes across as a brooding tactical (ha) genius.

But for the love of St. Patty do not do Noble Brigand. As someone who has a semi vested interest in archery, that art work makes my teeth grind everytime I see it. The problem is that the way he is holding the bow/arrow is that the arrow would just fall to the ground instead of staying next to the bow, as depicted. (See how it's not supported on the side that gravity wants you to go...). Especially if he tried to shoot it. Boink! Right into the ground.
Maybe he's standing on a really, really steep hill, so gravity is in fact going from like the top right of the card to the bottom left! 
Does that help your annoyance?  I suspect not.

In any case,  EDGECASED.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 11:24:15 am »

I like spice merchant because it is light and bright and so it will make your room brighter which will in turn make you more happy.
For me scout has too much white on it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:25:53 am by Limetime »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.