Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My opponent passed on Mountebank and Rebuild and still won  (Read 3396 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
+2

Code: [Select]
Hermit, Loan, Steward, Gardens, Talisman, Harvest, Mint, Mountebank, Rebuild, Expandhttp://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150510/log.541af059e4b02da428323f87.1431325554625.txt
Ouch. I hate rebuild games...

I bought Mountebank first time I hit $5, then bought two Rebuilds and then Duchies. When I got less than $5, I mostly bought silver. He bought Talismans and used them to get more talismans and a bunch of silvers, and went for Gardens.  I guess I never thought of Talismans as a Gardens enabler because you can't use it to get victory cards.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: My opponent passed on Mountebank and Rebuild and still won
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:51:13 am »

Opponents playing Mountebank surely doesn't hurt a Gardens deck as much as other strategies.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:04:47 am »
+2

The Duchy split doesn't matter much because he's not mirroring you and so you want to buy an additional Rebuild or two instead of Duchies. The Gardens player won't have much of a chance if you start contesting Gardens. Rebuild your starting estates into Gardens and buy additional Gardens on later $4 hands. Skip Mountebank altogether.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:50:46 am »
+1

The Duchy split doesn't matter much because he's not mirroring you and so you want to buy an additional Rebuild or two instead of Duchies.

This so much. You don't have to buy any Duchies at all here — you're playing a rush against a slog, so you just want to end the game as soon as possible. This means Rebuilding your starting Estates into Duchies, then naming Estate until the Province pile is empty and you win with 18 VP (well, obviously naming Province is actually better when you still have Duchies in your deck, but make sure that you're not mistracking your deck and spending a Rebuild play just to get the Chancellor effect). If you desperately need more VP, you can buy it later. I'm not sure if you want to start contesting Gardens early though, since it slows you down so much and he only has 2-3 Gardens by the time you should be ending the game anyway.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:54:01 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:25:57 am »
+1

you're playing a rush against a slog, so you just want to end the game as soon as possible.
I have a different perspective on Turbo rebuild. It doesn't win because it can end the game quickly with 18 points, but rather because it denies a huge amount of points from your opponent while doing so.

I'm sure milling Provinces could win against Gardens here, but it just seems reckless and much more shuffle-dependent than playing it safe and going for the denial strategy.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:16:30 am »
+1

Your mountebank was never going to do any real damage to a big deck that can routinely trash curses with hermits. It's just feeding coppers. Your hermit isn't needed though and it's the main reason, along with the mountebank, why you haven't scored many points by turn 15 and beyond.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:17:35 am by DG »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 09:21:26 am »

Once you see him going for Gardens, I would avoid Mountebank. Really, as soon as he bought the Talisman, I wouldn't go for it. He didn't do anything to hit $5 quickly or at all, so you can tell before the first shuffle he wants Gardens. Buy Rebuilds on $5, Gardens on $4, and Estates on $3, and just rush for three piles. If you contest Gardens, he's not going to be able to keep up, and you basically don't care how little Gardens is worth to you since you can trash them and Estates into Duchy later. That's how I see it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 11:29:18 am »

Talisman by itself isn't that great of a Gardens enabler, but if you're bombarding him with Mountebanks AND he grabs a few Talismans (Talismen?) then suddenly Gardens looks pretty good. Especially considering that he can trash Curses no problem with Hermit. Skip Mountebank and even a poorly played Rebuild strategy should destroy Gardens, I'd think.

As for contesting Gardens, I think it's probably smart. With 3 or so Rebuilds you can turn them all into Duchies no problem, and even if that slows you down a bit your opponent has pretty much no chance of catching up with his deck full of Talismans and Coppers.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:31:37 am by swedenman »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 11:53:57 am »

Talisman by itself isn't that great of a Gardens enabler, but if you're bombarding him with Mountebanks AND he grabs a few Talismans (Talismen?) then suddenly Gardens looks pretty good. Especially considering that he can trash Curses no problem with Hermit. Skip Mountebank and even a poorly played Rebuild strategy should destroy Gardens, I'd think.

I think you're forgetting about Hermit's Workshop-like card gaining effect here, which with Talisman makes a Gardens (rush? slog?) very possible. I don't think it would inherently lose if Mountebank was ignored, though it certainly would be far, far more difficult
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 12:11:24 pm »

I think you're forgetting about Hermit's Workshop-like card gaining effect here, which with Talisman makes a Gardens (rush? slog?) very possible. I don't think it would inherently lose if Mountebank was ignored, though it certainly would be far, far more difficult

True, I'd forgotten about Hermit's gaining ability. I still think that's a lot weaker than Rebuild, especially since neither Talisman nor Hermit lets you gain more than 1 Gardens per turn (which is a pretty key distinction to draw between Workshop and Hermit), but I'm not 100%.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:16:52 pm by swedenman »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:09:29 pm »

My problem is it's hard to get myself to slow down and look at the board to consider the possible strategies and how they might interact. It's too easy to see Mountebank and automatically think 'must buy -before or after my first rebuild?'.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.