Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Feedback Wanted: The Silversmith  (Read 7628 times)

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: Feedback Wanted: The Silversmith
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 07:02:42 am »

The card in your deck is just an inferior or unreliable woodcutter. I can't see anyone buying it for $5.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 07:16:57 am »

Well, Masterpiece at $5, gaining 2 Silvers is okay-ish. Certainly not great, but not completely horrible, given the lack of other decent $5s.

And you'd rather have the Silvers without Masterpiece than with, so the on-buy is not that bad, especially with the topdecking.

So you'd almost always buy this just for the on-buy which can be fun, but not all that useful.
BM-decks will love it, because they'd otherwise just buy a single Silver at $5.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 09:39:52 pm »

I just played two mock games of DoubleRefurbish vs. BM+Smithy. Smithy won both games, although the Provinces were evenly split each time. It's an OK-ish BM card, I guess? Probably not a great strategy. I don't think the Refurbish deck ever bought a Province on a Refurbish hand, but it accumulated Silvers and Golds fast enough to buy Provinces on the other hands.

So at least it's not an overpowered monolithic card. I'm guessing it'll be much more powerful in a deck that increases your hand size. I'll print it up and see if it's any fun in a real game.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:55:48 pm by LastFootnote »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »
+3

Any card that increases the play value of Silver is inherently going to be better with an engine than with BM.

Consider for example any "Silver produces an extra $1" version (call it "M") against a generic terminal silver ("T").

M vs T
0S => $0 vs $2
1S => $3 vs $4
2S => $6 vs $6
3S => $9 vs $8
4S => $12 vs $10

So in any situation where M is getting you a better result than T, then you could have bought a Province anyway. This makes the M effect very unexciting unless you have +buy and an increased hand size... and it's hard to get those without an engine.

Then naturally M has the same weakness that Coppersmith has, in that its effect is only really good in an engine, but the treasures needed to make it good tend to gum up engines, plus it occupies a kingdom pile that could have been a useful engine component. (That last point is why, in general, terminals that only give +$, like Harvest, tend to be worse in engines than you'd think. Occupying a kingdom pile is a big deal.) If M has trashing or +buy, then it has some utility in an engine apart from the +$.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 20 queries.