Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: LOTS of cards  (Read 2420 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
LOTS of cards
« on: February 15, 2014, 12:01:40 am »

In a 3-Player game, how is it possible to have exactly 25 cards in your deck at the beginning of your third turn? Kingdom, order of Players and shuffles as you choose.

If you find ways to have even more, that's fine too, but I think more than 25 is not possible.

edit: because i failed with my solution, I'll make a side-challenge with "end of turn 2" instead of "beginning of turn 3". Then I might have found the maximum after all. Might. Maybe. Or not.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:45:55 am by silverspawn »

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Re: LOTS of cards
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 12:59:55 am »

Initial thoughts:
Stonemason and Baker should allow an opening of double nomad camp, or nomad camp-procession. The massing of actions on turn 2 or so can pick up multiple copies of peddler, which would be excellent stonemason targets on turn 3. Turn 3, stonemasoning a single peddler nabs two border villages, two caches, and six coppers.

Initial test: 6C, Stonemason-> Nomad CampX2
Turn 2, Nomad CampX2, Hovel, Overgrown, Necro: buy Stonemason for 4, with two peddlers and two coppers.
Turn 3, 2C and Stonemason, PeddlerX2.

This isn't the end by a long shot, but it's a start.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:14:56 am »

I think I got 26:

Kingdom is: Squire, Stonemason, Swindler, Noble Brigand, Cache, Baker, x, x, x, x

You are player 3.

P1 (hand of Necro, CCCC) buys NB; P2 reveals OE and Hovel, gaining Copper; you reveal OE and Hovel, gaining Copper.  P1 draws OE, Hovel, CCC
P2 (hand of Necro, CCCC) buys NB; P1 reveals CC; you reveal CC.  P2 draws CCC, (re-shuffle), NB, C
You (hand of Necro, CCCC) buy Stonemason, Squire, Squire; draw Copper, (re-shuffle), Necropolis, Squire, Squire, Copper
P1 buys Swindler.  P1 draws CC, Necro, NB, (re-shuffle), Swindler
P2 plays NB; P1 reveals CC; you reveal OE and Hovel, gaining Copper.  P2 has $5 and buys X.  P2 draws CCCC, Necro.
You play Necro, Squire for buys, Squire for buys, spend coin token, buy Cache, Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper; draw CCCCC
P1 plays Necro, NB; (P2's reveal doesn't matter); you reveal Stonemason, (re-shuffle), OE, gaining Copper; P1 plays Swindler, hitting your Cache, giving you Cache.  P1 buys NB; (P2's reveal doesn't matter); you reveal Hovel, Necropolis, gaining Copper.  (P1's draw doesn't matter.)
P2 buys NB; (P1's reveal doesn't matter); you reveal Squire, Squire, gaining Copper.
At the start of your turn, your deck consists of 19 Coppers, 1 Stonemason, 2 Squires, 1 Necro, 1 OE, 1 Hovel, and 1 Cache, for 26 total cards.

Someone should check that to make sure the shuffles line up correctly and stuff.

JTB may also be onto something.  I would not be surprised if it's possible to do better.

Edit: Now that I've seen florrat's solution, mine can be improved by two cards if Beggars replace Squires.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:47:00 pm by scott_pilgrim »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 01:35:41 am »

My soution was way simpler:

Kingdom: Stonemaison, Baker, Death Cart, Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp x
You are Player 3. Starting hand: CCCCC
Player one buys NB. You discard EE, gain a copper. (+1)
Player two buys NB. You discard EC.
Use coin token, Buy Stonemaison, overpay for 4, Gain DC and Nomad Camp and 2 ruins (+5)
Draw NC, Copper (shuffle) Copper, Copper, Copper
Player one buys NB (coin token). You discard EE, gain a copper (+1)
Player two buys NB (coin token). You discard 2 ruins, gain a copper (+1)
Play Nomad Camp, buy Copper and Stonemaison, overpay for 4, Gain 2 DC and 4 ruins (+8)

that's... actually 26 as well. I think I forgot the last Copper the first time. Tie for now.
e: I completely missed that P1 and P2 can do their third turns before you start yours. That'll make even more cards if you replace the second NB with swindler that hits Death Carts. Looks like 25 is easily beatable after all. This solution works with end of turn 2 though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:51:26 am by silverspawn »

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 02:21:04 am »
+1

I can get 39 cards at the beginning of the third turn (32 at end of second turn).

Kingdom: Noble Brigand (NB), Stonemason (SM), Throne Room (TR), Young Witch (YW), Beggar (Beg), Swindler (Sw), Border Village (BV), Cache, Baker, x, x

Starting deck C*7, N, OE, H.

Turn 1
(+1) P1 buys NB. P2 discards CC, P3 discards H,OE, gains C.
(+0) P2 buys SM, gains TR+YW, draws N,OE,H,TW,YW (reshuffle: 8 cards in deck)
(+3) P3 buys SM, gains Beg*2, draws N,Beg,Beg,C,C

Turn 2
(+1) P1 buys NB, P2 discards 2 cards (6 left in deck), P3 discards H,OE, gains C. Draws N,NB,NB,C,C
(+2) P2 plays TR-YW, draws+discards 4 cards, plays CCC, buys Swindler. In clean-up, draws CC (reshuffle) TR,Sw,C
(+15) P3 plays N-Beg-Beg (gains 6C) 8*C, buys SM gains BV*2, Cache*2, C*4. Draws 5*C during clean-up

Turn 3
(+2) P1 plays N-NB-NB-C-C, buys NB. P3 discards C (reshuffle) and then C and 5 non-treasures, and gains 2 Copper.
(+5) P2 plays TR-Sw, P3 trashes 2*Cache, and gains 2*Cache+4*Copper. Buys NB, P3 discards 2 non-treasures and gains Copper.

EDIT: You can get 2 more when P2 trashes BVs instead of Caches (and the NBs can still hit, because P3 has 9 non-treasures in his deck).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:43:16 am by florrat »

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 06:01:25 am »

If only Celestial Chameleon was around... He has emptied the supply in 4 turns, with all these new amazing cards (Guilds) he could empty the supply by then. It would be too easy for him!
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:44:10 pm »

If only Celestial Chameleon was around... He has emptied the supply in 4 turns, with all these new amazing cards (Guilds) he could empty the supply by then. It would be too easy for him!

People have searched for ways to get started, but no way has been found.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:27:03 am »

Can player 2, during his turn 3, go CC route but instead of gaining whole supply just plays a lot of ambassadors?

Edit: you being player 3.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.