Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #7: Alchemy  (Read 41703 times)

simval

• Steward
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #7: Alchemy
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2014, 10:27:02 am »

Research
Types: Action
Cost: $1P
Trash 2 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $2 or $1P more than the total cost of the trashed cards in coins.

When you gain this, gain an Action costing up to $4.

A little clunky, but a remodel variant for Alchemy would be cool.

Hm.  I think as written this is very difficult to use, except earlyish in the game, to trash down and get more Researches.  Midgame, it's gonna be really difficult to pair this with two cards that you want to trash that add up to exactly 2 less than the card you want.  If it's only an early game trasher, then Potion feels like a tough cost to justify.

I agree that this may be hard to use. Maybe if the gaining was mandatory, but otherwise it'll mostly replace the card you trashed with things you don't want.

I didn't see this said anywhere before, but this on-gain is a nice way to give incentive to get the Potion for this. It slows you down less. I feel something like this could maybe make Transmute more worthwhile.

Yes remember that with the on-gain effect, you could trash two coppers to gain one research and one... whatever let's say Farming Village.

That's some good upgrade to your deck !

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:17 am »

Research
Trash 2 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $2 or $1P more than the total cost of the trashed cards in coins.

A little clunky, but a remodel variant for Alchemy would be cool.

Hm.  I think as written this is very difficult to use, except earlyish in the game, to trash down and get more Researches.  Midgame, it's gonna be really difficult to pair this with two cards that you want to trash that add up to exactly 2 less than the card you want.  If it's only an early game trasher, then Potion feels like a tough cost to justify.

I agree that this may be hard to use. Maybe if the gaining was mandatory, but otherwise it'll mostly replace the card you trashed with things you don't want.

I didn't see this said anywhere before, but this on-gain is a nice way to give incentive to get the Potion for this. It slows you down less. I feel something like this could maybe make Transmute more worthwhile.

Yes remember that with the on-gain effect, you could trash two coppers to gain one research and one... whatever let's say Farming Village.

That's some good upgrade to your deck !

Yes that is what the on-gain effect does. The point is that Potion cards are slow, and spending time to buy Potion, then buy this means you're passing up the opportunity to buy other things you need. Transmute isn't worth the Potion cost because it's too slow to bother with. This on-gain is a nice way to buff up cards like this.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2014, 01:32:09 pm »

Incantation
Cost: $3P
+1 Card. +1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. If you do, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card that costs more than it and shares a type with it. Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

Yeah, I've tried to do things with card types, but the thing is everything is a type. Reaction, Victory, Treasure, Action, Attack, Knight, Looter, Curse. They are all types. Now, for the effect it'll mostly find Better Treasures, or sift Victory cards, but it can skip actions which is bad. I don't see it being worth the Potion cost. Yes, cantrip trashing is good, but it's uninteresting and this card has that downside.

Trashing a Copper for a Silver/Potion/Gold is still neat, i think. The only cards where you normally can't hope for something better to reveal are Curse, Estate and Hovel (as you usually don't want to trash your other Victories - Feodum excluded) - and as you trash Estates as early as possible it's likely for all three that they will be the cheapest around and so this is still cantrip-trashing with a chancellor effect. Usually it would be better, giving you a hold of your Potions more often or trashing cheap actions for better ones (Rats!).

About the types:
Action: Useful
Treasure: Useful
Victory: Obviously the weakest of the main types, but can still give Chancellor effect (Aside: Tournament/Explorer)
Curse: Sure Chancellor effect
Knight: Irrelevant, as all Knights are actions.
Looter: Irrelevant, as all Looters are actions.
Ruins: Irrelevant, as all ruins are actions.
Reaction: Only type where things can get weird, but still only relevant with Hovel and another Reaction (benefit) or with Tunnel/Fool's Gold for a 4$ Reaction.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:33:32 pm by Asper »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2014, 01:40:36 pm »
+1

You missed Duration and Attack, but those are all Actions too.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2014, 05:23:36 pm »

You missed Duration and Attack, but those are all Actions too.

Thanks - how could i even forget the attack type? :P
I guess there is also Prize and Shelter, but as for each all cards have the same cost they also don't matter.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2014, 09:03:01 pm »

Incantation
+1 Card. +1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. If you do, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card that costs more than it and shares a type with it. Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

Yeah, I've tried to do things with card types, but the thing is everything is a type. Reaction, Victory, Treasure, Action, Attack, Knight, Looter, Curse. They are all types. Now, for the effect it'll mostly find Better Treasures, or sift Victory cards, but it can skip actions which is bad. I don't see it being worth the Potion cost. Yes, cantrip trashing is good, but it's uninteresting and this card has that downside.

Trashing a Copper for a Silver/Potion/Gold is still neat, i think. The only cards where you normally can't hope for something better to reveal are Curse, Estate and Hovel (as you usually don't want to trash your other Victories - Feodum excluded) - and as you trash Estates as early as possible it's likely for all three that they will be the cheapest around and so this is still cantrip-trashing with a chancellor effect. Usually it would be better, giving you a hold of your Potions more often or trashing cheap actions for better ones (Rats!).

About the types:
Action: Useful
Treasure: Useful
Victory: Obviously the weakest of the main types, but can still give Chancellor effect (Aside: Tournament/Explorer)
Curse: Sure Chancellor effect
Knight: Irrelevant, as all Knights are actions.
Looter: Irrelevant, as all Looters are actions.
Ruins: Irrelevant, as all ruins are actions.
Reaction: Only type where things can get weird, but still only relevant with Hovel and another Reaction (benefit) or with Tunnel/Fool's Gold for a 4$ Reaction.

Trashing Actions with Incantation will be really nice if they're Ruins or Rats, but other than that, it seems like something you'd rarely do.  Usually Incantation will be trashing Estates and getting the Chancellor effect, or trashing Coppers and getting +1$-ish.  I don't know how good that is, honestly.  3P seems like a high cost for it.  Also, I don't know if the Potion in the cost makes it more or less fun.

As for Research... the on-buy bonus makes it better, but do you even want Research?  It seems like a weak card with too many restrictions.  The problem with it is that, yeah, it's neat the way it's designed to trash two Coppers into a Research.  But why would you want more than one Research?  Having two Researches in your hand is usually bad.  It's difficult to trash the second one into something useful, as you can with colliding Remodels or Upgrades. 

If there's Alchemists, Familiars, or Philosopher's Stones, you can trash a Research and a Copper into one of those.  If there's Golem, you can trash Research and a Shelter or a Poor House into it.  And Possession works.  But if those cards aren't on the board, the 2nd Research is basically dead.  That might be fine if the card wasn't forcing more Researches into your deck.  Research has some things going for it but I think Transmute might still be a stronger trasher.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2014, 12:11:28 am »

I really like Research except for that flaw about multiplying and colliding researches that dghunter pointed out.  (Kindof similar to the difficulty using the Forge which I tried out recently for the first time.)  Maybe it could be tweaked to allow a conversion like this:

Research
Trash 2 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $2 or $1P more than the total cost of the trashed cards in coins. You may ignore any potion in the cost of the trashed cards when choosing a card to gain.

This way you could get something useful out of colliding Research cards (or turn a familiar into a non-potion cost card after the curses run out).

...This fun scenario just popped into my head:
Play a familar (giving out the last curse), then play a research, trashing your other familiar and a copper to gain a peddler.

I like the incantation too.  Not only trashing a copper to get a silver or a silver to get a gold, but also to trash those action cards that are useful early game and not as useful later on (chapel, moneylender, bureaucrat).
And it could also probably be improved with a small tweak "...If you do, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card that costs at least as much as it and shares a type with it. Put it into your hand and discard the rest."
Then you couldn't count on getting a silver to replace a trashed copper, but getting a copper to replace your trashed copper is still good.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:20:19 am by LibraryAdventurer »

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:14 am »

For the purpose of trashing it with Research, Research costs $1, so it is trashable (although less obviously than Upgrade or Remodel). It says "cost in coins", which, like Salvager and Forge, means that Potions in the cost are ignored, no need for extra text.

BTW, Forge has a similar problem colliding with itself. Costing $7 is really hard (impossible before DA) to trash one and get a Province. In Colony games is better, but still. The difference is that usually you don't get more than one Forge, and when you do is because they are not likely to collide all the time, while you are somehow forced to get more Researches, as was pointed out before.

Play a familar (giving out the last curse), then play a research, trashing your other familiar and a copper to gain a peddler.

This does not work because Peddler's cost does not decrease until your buy phase. Trashing Familiar and a Copper nets you a $5 or a $3P, and Peddler costs $8.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2014, 12:18:08 pm »

Conjuror (A)
Cost: $2P
+3 Cards. You may discard a Potion. If you do, +1 Action. Otherwise, gain a Potion, putting it on top of your deck.

Not that exciting, and perhaps a bit too similar to Retort from the previous contest.  Yeah Retort gets a free extra action, but it still feels similar to me.

This should really be emphasized. Conjuror shouldn't get any consideration because of its obvious similarity to Retort.

--

I am liking Metallurgist, Alkahest, Bottle Imp, and Research.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2014, 04:31:18 pm »

Cards i have opinions to:

Edited because i misread Enclave.

Ivory Tower
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose one: Set aside a card from your hand face down on your Ivory Tower mat; or put up to 3 cards from your mat into your hand. You may look through your cards at any time; trash them at the end of the game.

Clarification: On-trash effects are triggered. They are resolved in player order starting from the player on whose turn the game ended.

Like the name. Don't like the after-game trashing. It feels clunky, even though Feodum, Catacombs and Hunting Grounds are the only cards i can think of where it matters.

Elixir (A)
Types: Treasure
Worth $2. You may play an Action card from your hand.

Probably pretty strong with terminal draw. I never was a fan of what Black Market did to the action phase though, and so i'm not sure about a card which does a similar thing to the buy phase.

Conjuror (A)
+3 Cards. You may discard a Potion. If you do, +1 Action. Otherwise, gain a Potion, putting it on top of your deck.

I kind of like it, mainly because the concept is pretty simple. I don't know if i think of it as too similar to Retort. I imagine it plays pretty different. Also it should totally be called "Unstables" with the art showing some dangerous looking chemicals (or a Mad Scientist congress ;) )

Professor
+1 Action. +1 Buy. Choose one: All cards cost $1 less this turn; or Action cards cost $2 less this turn. Cards cannot cost less than $0.

I feel this doesn't add enough, besides the choice between things that were allready there. Also seems very strong.

Elixir (B)
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may choose an Action card in your hand. Play it twice.

Again doesn't add much, and while it's simple on its own, it's a bit strong compared to Herald. Having read through all cards, it's probably the action-playing card i like the most in the contest, though.

Druid
Cost: $4P
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose one: +$2; or +P.

When you buy this, trash all Treasure cards you have in play.

For a card that offers +P, the bottom here goes naturally with it. Resembles Grand Market quite a bit though, especially on boards without other Potion cards.

Contraption
+1 Action. Look at the top 3 cards of your deck and reveal one of them. Gain an Action costing less than it. Discard any number of the looked-at cards. Put the rest back in any order.

I'm not sure how to play with this - buy an expensive card (Province) as soon as possible, then try to reveal it often for good cards? Not sure whether i like how this would play, and whether it needs the Potion cost, especially as it can backfire.

Metallurgist
Cost: P
+1 Buy. You may trash a Treasure from your hand. If you do, +P. You may trash a Potion from your hand. If you do, +$3.

This card is pretty irrelevant without other Potion cards, i think. More so than Druid.

Enclave
+2 Actions. You may discard your hand. If you do, +1 Card per Action card you have in play.

A Village Minion... First i thought it'd fit Alchemy well, as most cards there go for lots of Actions, but i changed my mind. Alchemy has very few +coin cards and terminals, which are the card types that i assume would benefit the most of this. Doesn't say this is a bad idea, but i'm not a fan to be honest.

Seems a little strange. A Village that is best if you allready played a lot of cards - so a Village that is best if your other cards are nonterminal...? What does it have the actions for, then? I mean, if it is the first card you play, it's rubbish, and if it takes off your turn is probably going pretty awesome allready. Honestly i feel the parts of it don't fit together that well, though i don't doubt it can be a relevant part in some draw-your-deck and megaturn strategies.

Clairvoyant
+1 Action. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Set aside a revealed Action card. Put a revealed Victory card into your hand. Discard the rest. Play the set-aside Action.

Putting the Victory card in hand does what, exactly? Somehow i feel that Action-Scout is not exactly worth 3$P...

Alkahest
Types: Actoin
Cost: $5P
+1 Card. +1 Buy. Choose one: +2P; or +$3. You may choose an Action card in your hand costing at least P and play it.

So this is a Grandest Market, which, additionally to being hard to get, is restricted on which cards you can use the +1 action for. I think it's maybe a bit too hard to get a first one, suffers if other Potion cards are missing, and all in all has a bit too much going on.

Kettle
Reveal your hand. You may trash any number of cards from your hand up to the number of Victory and Curse cards revealed. +1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

The bottom feels unnecessary, and there's a lot going on. Also makes the impression it's supposed to be a "curse for benefit" card...

Incantation

Simple enough. I like how instead of giving +P it can simply dig for Potions, but isn't reduced to them.

Wizard
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. Gain a copy of the cheapest card with a Potion in its cost that the player on your right gained last turn. If he didn't gain such a card, gain a copy of the cheapest card he gained instead.

Clarification: This card has a unique back, like Stash. If there are multiple cards that have the same lowest cost, choose one of them.

Why does this have that unique back? I guess so the player before you can buy some rubbish for you to gain or not buy a good card? That's overdoing it, i think. And also, while the card doesn't allow shuffeling it where you want, a player could "accidentally" shuffle this where he wants to.

Quicksilver
Types: Treasure – Reaction
When you play this, reveal your hand. This is worth $1 plus $1 per Action revealed.

When another player plays an Action, you may discard this. If you do, gain a copy of that Action.

Quick Silver - slow game. I don't like the reaction - it makes active players think about in which order they play their actions even more, and also you have to give every other player a chance to react to a play. It adds pauses where there normally are none.

Distill
Type: Action – Attack
Cost: PP
+2 Actions. Each player may return a card from his hand to the Supply. (Yours may come from your discard pile.) For each card returned, each player other than the one that returned it gains a copy of it. You may trash any number of the cards you gain this way. If there are no cards in your hand, discard pile, or deck, the game is over and you win.

Instant win cards are nice for a laugh, but not for a real game. Definitely wouldn't like playing with this, sorry.

Bottle Imp
Cost: $5P*
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. +$1. You may trash this. If you do, gain a cheaper card.

If you have at least 2 Actions in play, this costs P less.

So this is a harder to get Market, which can later be exchanged for another card. I think it's interesting how it can help you get Potion cards without buying a Potion, but without other Potion cards the best you can do is probably exchanging it for a Duchy in the endgame (which is a pretty awful bonus considering what you have to do to get it). So while i do like the idea i think it's not compelling enough in general.

Refinery
Types: Reaction
When you buy a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, if the card you bought is an…
Action card, set it aside when you gain it, putting it into your hand at the start of your next turn.
Victory card, set it aside when you gain it, returning it to your deck at the end of the game.
Other card, each other player gains a copy of it instead of you.

The first two with their Action/Victory problem aside, the last clause basically means you can exchange any of your +1 Buy for a "each other player gains a curse". Not good.

Retort
Types: Treasure – Reaction
When you play this, it's worth $1 per differently named Treasure you have in play (including this).

When another player plays a Potion, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Treasure.

I don't like how this is an Alchemy card that kind of punishes me for going after Potions.

Voodoo Doll
Types: Action – Attack
+$2. Each player with 5 or more cards in hand discards an Action card (or reveals a hand with no Action cards).

Nasty, but then again the attack's not worse than Pillage. The fact that you don't have to buy it new after each attack would make this very annoying over time, though, and it also discourages going for actions, which goes against Alchemy's theme.

Catalyst
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. +$1. Reveal then discard any number of Action cards. For each card discarded, +1 Card, +1 Buy, and +$1.

Discarding action cards for a benefit is something i also considered (or actually did for a card not in this contest), but i'm not that fond of the bonus choice. I imagine remembering the amount of buys at the end of your turn might be a bit hard to do.

Brewmaster
Cost: PP
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, gain a Potion. You may discard a Potion. If you do, choose one: Cards cost $2 less this turn; or cards cost P less this turn.

Another card that can choose $ or P... Man, i'm glad i didn't bring one of those into the competition - it sucks to see others had the same idea, and makes your card harder to distinguish...
As for this one, it costs PP - another thing never done in official Dominion, and for a good reason, i think: Though probably not as hard as with Treasure Map, having two Potions clash is very luck dependant. Also even without the last effect being tied to the Potion discard it feels slow - on a board without other Potion cards and no +buys, this is just a horribly hard to get buyless grand Market.

Assistant
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action other than an Assistant. Discard the rest, then play that Action twice.

This pretty much is Anti-Golem, doesn't add enough.

Ritualist
+1 Card. You may discard a Potion. You may play an Action card from your hand. If you discarded a Potion, play it again. If it is a Ritualist, play it again. You may play it one more time. If you do, trash it.

Overly complex and pretty likely to cause confusion even on normal board just by itself.

Elicitor
Cost: PP*
+1 Action. Discard a card. For each P in its cost, gain an Action card, putting it into your hand. If there is no P in its cost, +2 Cards.

If you have a Potion in play, this costs P less.

Too strong for how easily you get it. Also two of these in hand can make you empty the pile.

Research

I think this is too strong, mostly because the on-play would be fine for 4$ (i guess?) and it negates the typical "Argh, 2$P!!" problem. Now you can buy two decent cards, even with almost nothing but a Potion in hand.

Drunkard
Cost: P
Discard any number of cards. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand. You may discard a Potion or an Action. If you do, play this again.

When you buy this, +2 Buys.

I read "you may drink a Potion" here...
Anyway, it's interesting to see a card that gives buys on buy and doesn't suffer from (official) cost reducers (though i hardly think it's that useful here)... I don't really like the on play effect, as it seems to treat Actions as a mere tool to get many Treasures in hand (the card gives no +action).

Conjurer (B)
You may play an Action card from your hand three times. Either trash that card or trash this.

Nothing new, but well. Would hate to accidentally hit this with my Golem.

Elixir (C)
+1 Action. +1 Buy. +$1. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Potion or a card costing at least P. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

An Alchemy Market... Probably a little strong, but okay otherwise.

Enchanter
+3 Cards. You may play an Enchanter from your hand.
[/quote]

Is it a Smitist or a Culthy? Either way, it doesn't add that much, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:04:06 pm by Asper »

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2014, 04:47:12 pm »

Ivory Tower
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose one: Set aside a card from your hand face down on your Ivory Tower mat; or put up to 3 cards from your mat into your hand. You may look through your cards at any time; trash them at the end of the game.

Clarification: On-trash effects are triggered. They are resolved in player order starting from the player on whose turn the game ended.

Like the name. Don't like the after-game trashing. It feels clunky, even though Feodum, Catacombs and Hunting Grounds are the only cards i can think of where it matters.

I agree. I think its best to say "put them in the trash" and let the on-trash event not trigger, to make it less confusing.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2014, 05:03:17 pm »

Ivory Tower

It also matters a lot for any victory cards.  You can put them on the mat to pseudo-trash them, but potentially bring them back into your deck before the end of the game so you still get those points.  That's a much bigger deal than the on-trash effects of the few DA cards that have them.

Elixir (B)

Again doesn't add much, and while it's simple on its own, it's a bit strong compared to Herald. Having read through all cards, it's probably the action-playing card i like the most in the contest, though.

Yeah it's probably stronger than Herald most of the time, but that's not really a concern, is it?  $2P is a lot more expensive than $4.

Elicitor
+1 Action. Discard a card. For each P in its cost, gain an Action card, putting it into your hand. If there is no P in its cost, +2 Cards.

Too strong for how easily you get it. Also two of these in hand can make you empty the pile.

Nice catch.  Not sure if it was mentioned before, but that's certainly another flaw with the card.  Elicitor discards Elicitor, gains two more in hand.  Repeat.

I'm actually not sure what to think of it anymore.  My first thought was that it's just too weak with the Treasure Map mechanic... but yeah.  I don't know anymore.

Ivory Tower

I agree. I think its best to say "put them in the trash" and let the on-trash event not trigger, to make it less confusing.

Oh, if that's the question... then yeah, I guess that works fine?  But this might only be "clearer" to you because you are really familiar with Dominion mechanics.  I'd expect that most casual players would read "put them in the trash" and think, "that's a weird way to say 'trash the cards'.  Oh well.  Now how do we resolve these on-trash effects..."  It would still read as "trashing" to them, and the same question will come up even though it's technically no longer applicable.  Might be better to just address the issue as it is and allow for those times when you can get some bonus points out of a Hunting Grounds hidden on the mat.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2014, 05:07:06 pm »

Elicitor

Nice catch.  Not sure if it was mentioned before, but that's certainly another flaw with the card.  Elicitor discards Elicitor, gains two more in hand.  Repeat.

I'm actually not sure what to think of it anymore.  My first thought was that it's just too weak with the Treasure Map mechanic... but yeah.  I don't know anymore.

Do you mean TM mechanic to buy it? Have you read that it costs P less if there is a Potion in play?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:08:18 pm by KingZog3 »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2014, 05:11:02 pm »
+1

Ivory Tower

Oh, if that's the question... then yeah, I guess that works fine?  But this might only be "clearer" to you because you are really familiar with Dominion mechanics.  I'd expect that most casual players would read "put them in the trash" and think, "that's a weird way to say 'trash the cards'.  Oh well.  Now how do we resolve these on-trash effects..."  It would still read as "trashing" to them, and the same question will come up even though it's technically no longer applicable.  Might be better to just address the issue as it is and allow for those times when you can get some bonus points out of a Hunting Grounds hidden on the mat.

How about: "Do not return cards from the Ivory Tower Mat to your deck when the game ends."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2014, 05:11:21 pm »

Elicitor

Do you mean TM mechanic to buy it? Have you read that it costs P less if there is a Potion in play?

No, I mean the TM mechanic to get the benefit out of it.  You need two Elicitors so that you can discard one with the other.  This matters a lot because of the boards where Elicitor is the only Potion card around.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2014, 05:13:01 pm »

Ivory Tower

How about: "Do not return cards from the Ivory Tower Mat to your deck when the game ends."

Does that work?  Even if not returned to your deck, they are still technically yours.  Would you not still count the points from VP on the mat, even though they aren't in you deck?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2014, 05:13:55 pm »

Elicitor

No, I mean the TM mechanic to get the benefit out of it.  You need two Elicitors so that you can discard one with the other.  This matters a lot because of the boards where Elicitor is the only Potion card around.

Right, except it can be a sifter too, so it's like it's a dead card like TM if it doesn't match up.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2014, 05:43:20 pm »
+1

Does that work?  Even if not returned to your deck, they are still technically yours.  Would you not still count the points from VP on the mat, even though they aren't in you deck?

Both trash and disappear without trashing would need clarification, but I think no on-trash effects is better, because many on-trash effects are confusing when the game is already over (like Rats' or Cultist's +Cards). We can return them to the supply, but there are non-supply cards. I think put in the trash +FAQ is enough. People playing with pre-DA will be fine anyway. People playing with DA should be confortable with strange FAQ.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »

Elixir (B)

Yeah it's probably stronger than Herald most of the time, but that's not really a concern, is it?  $2P is a lot more expensive than $4.

Maybe i should have compared it to Throne Room. I'm aware that this comparison is not perfect, but putting +1 Card, +1 Action on a terminal 4$ will often be obviously very strong for 2$P, i think.

I won't decide my votes on the price or minor details, anyway (unless cards are unpriceable), so in case i'm mistaken it won't rob anybody of a deserved win.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:47:19 pm by Asper »

Guy Srinivasan

• Salvager
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2014, 02:49:26 am »

Elixir (B)

Maybe i should have compared it to Throne Room. I'm aware that this comparison is not perfect, but putting +1 Card, +1 Action on a terminal 4$ will often be obviously very strong for 2$P, i think.

I won't decide my votes on the price or minor details, anyway (unless cards are unpriceable), so in case i'm mistaken it won't rob anybody of a deserved win.
How is removing +1 Card, +1 Action from a $2P? Apothecary becomes "Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck, putting revealed Coppers and Potions into your hand" which is quite bad. Scrying Pool becomes "Discard a card. Spy attack. Draw as many Actions as you can and then +1 Card." which is almost always very bad for a $4 but can save an Engine with lots of +Actions, lots of Action cards, and poor draw. University doesn't become terminal, but it becomes "+1 Action. Discard a card. You may gain a card costing up to $5" which is Feast plus an action minus a card? Feels like a poor $4 but not terribad. Except that all of these modifications aren't as bad as removing +1 Card since getting +1 Card gets you a random card remaining in your deck but discarding a card loses you the worst card in your hand.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:51:56 am by Guy Srinivasan »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2014, 03:25:32 am »

Elixir (B)

How is removing +1 Card, +1 Action from a $2P? Apothecary becomes "Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck, putting revealed Coppers and Potions into your hand" which is quite bad. Scrying Pool becomes "Discard a card. Spy attack. Draw as many Actions as you can and then +1 Card." which is almost always very bad for a $4 but can save an Engine with lots of +Actions, lots of Action cards, and poor draw. University doesn't become terminal, but it becomes "+1 Action. Discard a card. You may gain a card costing up to $5" which is Feast plus an action minus a card? Feels like a poor $4 but not terribad. Except that all of these modifications aren't as bad as removing +1 Card since getting +1 Card gets you a random card remaining in your deck but discarding a card loses you the worst card in your hand.

Strange line of thought.  Not sure if it's all that useful either.  Alchemist also becomes hilariously terrible if you subtract an action and a a card from it.

I won't belabour the point since I don't like Elixir that much, but I will say that I think $2P is an OK price for it.  Cantrip TR is good, but it's not THAT much better than regular TR and the potion cost is a big drawback.  When you want TR, you usually want lots of them with lots of other actions.  In that kind of setup, the Potion cost matters a lot, slowing down both your acquisition of more Elixirs and other action cards.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2014, 08:01:46 am »

Guess i shouldn't have made the comparison in the first place :P
I knew it was flawed. Personally, i like Elixir (B).

Edit: Still think it's to cheap. Somehow i thought Guy Srinivasan's line of thought and Alchemist were against my point, but i realized they support it. Maybe the comparison is not good, but i agree with soulnet that cantrip TR is much, much better than TR.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:40:14 am by Asper »

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2014, 08:36:48 am »

I won't belabour the point since I don't like Elixir that much, but I will say that I think $2P is an OK price for it.  Cantrip TR is good, but it's not THAT much better than regular TR and the potion cost is a big drawback.  When you want TR, you usually want lots of them with lots of other actions.  In that kind of setup, the Potion cost matters a lot, slowing down both your acquisition of more Elixirs and other action cards.

Strongly disagree. Cantrip + TR is a LOT stronger than TR. You can be unterminalizing a terminal on top of playing it twice. Turning a terminal into a non-terminal is very VERY powerful.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2014, 01:24:44 pm »
+1

Strongly disagree. Cantrip + TR is a LOT stronger than TR. You can be unterminalizing a terminal on top of playing it twice. Turning a terminal into a non-terminal is very VERY powerful.

I still think that potion cost is already restriction enough on it.

TR needs other payloads. Cantrip TR does as well. A potion cost makes it hard to get it AND enough strong payloads to be reliably useful. An expensive potion cost makes it that much harder.

Maybe 3P is appropriate, but I don't see 2P as underpriced for the effect.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:31:04 pm by eHalcyon »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »

Oops, missed the voting deadline.

Ah well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 22 queries.