Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26  All

Author Topic: World Cup - Brazil 2014 + f.ds Bracket Challenge See OP  (Read 134747 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup - Brazil 2014 + f.ds Bracket Challenge See OP
« Reply #550 on: July 08, 2014, 05:56:22 pm »

This could lead to an odd situation where Brazilians will have to root for Argentina.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »

the first time i watch a game and germany wins 7:1  >:(

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 08, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »
+1

I have no issue with most German players, but I really don't like mueller.

Müller is human scum yes, like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Keep in mind people : things could get worse for Brazil. Imagine this : Argentina beats the Netherlands, then BRazilians lose to the Netherlands 58-1 in the loser's bracket, then they have to cheer for the Germans in the finals and then Argentina can win THEIR world cup. For those not in the know : Argentina winning the World Cup in Brazil would be like... I don't know American sports well enough, but picture the greatest rivalry between American teams, double that, then triple it, then you've got the level of hate between Brazil and Argentina in soccer (still pales compared to the Lazio/Roma hate, but that's something else).

On the other hand, if Argentina loses their semi-finals, Brazil gets a shot at beating them to save their honor.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 08, 2014, 06:06:07 pm »
+1

What's so bad about that ? They had the better team, they played better... what's not to love, you even got to see a bunch of goals, including that amazing Schürlle goal.

The only problem with this match is that Twitter is giving me flashbacks to being called a nazi when I came back in France... the hate towards Germany is insane and ugly right now.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 08, 2014, 06:18:45 pm »

yea but i dont care about nice games, i want to see germany lose. and fouls, I like to see fouls too. and eleven meter thingies. this game didn't have any of that  :'(

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:31 pm »

The strange thing is, after concentrating on all these star players who might be the inspiration to turn a game, a team wins big by combing Spanish passing with German running and efficiency. What an obvious way to succeed in world cups!

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 08, 2014, 07:05:38 pm »

The strange thing is, after concentrating on all these star players who might be the inspiration to turn a game, a team wins big by combing Spanish passing with German running and efficiency. What an obvious way to succeed in world cups!

yeah.  7 goals, no hat tricks.  I mean, usually when a team scores it seems likely that someone will get a hat trick.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 08, 2014, 08:00:01 pm »
+2

Müller is human scum yes.

Do you really know what you are talking about? He is definitely not. In germany Müller is the most loved player (and thats mainly not because he plays successful) and a great example for all kids. In his interviews and as a person generally he is so down to earth,  very very authentic and very funny as well. In his personality and attitude he is kind of a "Anti-Star", who could easily be a Handy-Seller. He is the exact opposite of Ronaldo, Mario Götze and all the other adapted, vain football players and he doesnt care about how he looks like in his playing style. Müller always gives everything for his team and is there when it comes down to the big games and never gives up. You really should adjust your opinion in that point.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 08, 2014, 08:20:39 pm »

Obviously I was going for humour there, although I really do dislike him. I have no idea what he's like outside the field though : if he's a great guy, good for him. But on the field, he's one of the worst offenders as far as direspecting the referee's decisions (they all do that, but he's always very over the top), the diving etc.

He's a great player, and he's not individualistic in the way he plays (although I don't think Cristiano Ronaldo is either, for all his faults he's no Robben), but I really hate his need to always, always try to get the foul, wether or not it's real.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 08, 2014, 08:27:55 pm »
+8

Shame. All Brazil needed was a touchdown.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 08, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »
+2

Unfortunately influencing the referee is standard and part of the game these days. I agree that he tends to overdo it. Dont like that either.
In one point i strictly disagree. He is the most individualistic player i know. And thats no exaggeration. He has such an unothodox and brilliant instinct for travel paths on the field. Thats a skill you cant see at any other player and cant be learned. The media invented years ago when he becomes good an own word for him called "Raumdeuter". Its hard to translate, it means that he is an interpretor of room and sees room and gamesituations before they are there. Thats unique and the reason why he became such a good player although his technique is way under average

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 08, 2014, 10:46:51 pm »

yeah.  7 goals, no hat tricks.  I mean, usually when a team scores it seems likely that someone will get a hat trick.

I almost had the impression, when Germany was up 4-0, that the team was like, "oh, Khedira hasn't scored a goal yet, so let's pass it to him for the shot on goal."

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 09, 2014, 02:00:50 am »

Okay, guys, I take back what I said about Germany, what a whirlwind!
Hope Netherlands can perform even 1/5th of that and it would still be a walkover.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 09, 2014, 04:14:25 am »

I just hope you watch the final :)
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 09, 2014, 04:43:58 am »
+1

Pause -> Restart Game

opponent has disconnected.

You win by attrition.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 09, 2014, 11:55:21 am »

I hope that Brazilians root for Argentina. And I hope more Argentinians would root for Brazil as well. I was rooting for Brazil against Germany. As a rule, I root for the Latin American team on the match, if there is only one (barring cases like wanting an underdog to defeat Brazil so as to avoid it as Argentina's rival or something like that). Sometimes, if I see one team playing nicely but doing bad, I will root for them as well.

I think the Argentina-Brazil rivalry can be a nice condiment, but it is awful to have it trumph rivalries with Germany or Italy.

Also, a Brazil-Argentina final would have been great to watch. There were only a handful or Argentina-Brazil games in the history of world cups, and I think it is possible the best classic football match in the world (in general, despite particular circumstances).

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 09, 2014, 12:17:07 pm »

Don't worry soulnet, you'll get your Brazil/Argentina :P

Related : a Dutch guy just won on the Tour today... yesterday it was a German who is utterly destoying all the other sprinters right now... just saying.

I mean, it seems pretty logical that the Brazil/Argentina rivalry is much stronger than with European nations. Same as Arsenal hating Chelsea and Tottenham a lot more than ManU, or with Everton hating Liverpool more than anything else, etc.

The only big rivalry between continents that I can think of would be England/Argentina, and that's because you have added political tensions there.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 09, 2014, 01:14:34 pm »

My feeling for tonight's game is 50/50.

Argentina certainly isn't Costa Rica, but Netherlands have shown great perseverance so far.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #568 on: July 09, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »
+8

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 09, 2014, 05:00:00 pm »

Are you still feeling that way after the first half? Is not a huge dominance, but I think Argentina is playing a lot better so far, especially in the last minutes, and the Netherlands defenders have started fouling a lot.

I don't like that Martins Indi guy one bit. This is the second game I see in which I feel like he should see a red card (the foul without the ball against Messi should have been his first yellow card, possibly worse than the foul that actually earned him the card).

BTW, I am not complaining, but Van Persie is playing like crap again. Is there no replacement for him in the Netherlands bench? I was surprised he was not replaced against Costa Rica.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 09, 2014, 05:03:27 pm »

Argentina is doing better, although the Netherlands are again playing 10 vs 11 because Van Persie decided not to show up.

I still think the Dutch will win. Remember how much they've sucked in all their first halves so far ?

Actually they have a replacement for him on the field : Kuyt. But I guess they really have no right lateral (I doubt that's the English word for it, but oh well).

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:12 pm »

Are you still feeling that way after the first half? Is not a huge dominance, but I think Argentina is playing a lot better so far, especially in the last minutes, and the Netherlands defenders have started fouling a lot.

I don't like that Martins Indi guy one bit. This is the second game I see in which I feel like he should see a red card (the foul without the ball against Messi should have been his first yellow card, possibly worse than the foul that actually earned him the card).

BTW, I am not complaining, but Van Persie is playing like crap again. Is there no replacement for him in the Netherlands bench? I was surprised he was not replaced against Costa Rica.
Second Martins Indi foul wouldn't have been a yellow had it not been for the first one - bit of "totting up" as the commentators like to say there. And as I type, he's being subbed off...

van Persie was replaced by Klaas-Jan Huntelaar against Mexico, I agree the same change could easily have been made against Costa Rica.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:21 pm »

Well, Argentina is in the finals of the World Cup without playing a single good match of football.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 09, 2014, 06:48:28 pm »

Oh well, all good things...

Was not a high quality match, but very tense, think 0-0 was an appropriate result.
Too bad we couldn't win this shootout.

Has been an exciting couple of weeks, all thanks to the guys in orange.
They did their country proud, but it wasn't meant to be.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 09, 2014, 06:48:34 pm »

Tim Howard turned Argentinian there.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26  All

Page created in 2.117 seconds with 21 queries.