Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26  All

Author Topic: World Cup - Brazil 2014 + f.ds Bracket Challenge See OP  (Read 134768 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup - Brazil 2014 + f.ds Bracket Challenge See OP
« Reply #500 on: July 07, 2014, 03:03:10 am »

Argentina also plays very dull.

Imagine if Germany vs Argentina would be the final, that would be pretty horrible to watch. Someone gets lucky and scores a goal in the 20th minute and hangs back and delays the game for 70 minutes with the other unable to create any real chances.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 07, 2014, 03:49:50 am »
+1

Overall, what a world cup. If I wasn't Dutch, I probably would have rooted for the underdog Costa Rica, but oh well.
The final four is such a classic composition of world cup legends: Brazil, 5 time winners, Germany, 3 time winners, Argentina, 2 time winners and Netherlands, 3 time losers.

Maybe it's because I'm not European, or from those countries, but I gave the exact opposite feeling from this final four.

To me, it's just "oh, these four AGAIN!?"  It's like another Yankees World Series, for baseball fans.  Sure, I'm unhappy my team is out, but having the same teams over and over gets really boring.  There are no underdogs (not counting the unfortunately injured state of Brazil's team), no compelling stories...just the regular strongest teams playing each other again.  The Netherlands are the only team there without multiple cups...and they've been there 3 times.

All 8 group winners...and now all 4 expected favorites.  Zero surprises, zero drama.  It's just too dull.

I'll root for Brazil, but I don't imagine I'll even wake up for another game.

Argentina is in the semis the first time this century, Netherlands the second time, Brazil the first time after 12 years. The only dull team up there is Germany.

"This century" is a bit overdramatic.  There have been, what, three world cups?  1/3 is a lot.  2/3 is heaps.

2002 - Germany and Brazil
2006 - Germany (with Brazil and Argentina in F8)
2010 - Germany and Netherlands (with Brazil and Argentina in F8)

The Netherlands are the closest thing to a "surprise" and they were in the FINAL last time.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 07, 2014, 04:30:52 am »
+1

Germany is "dull" because it's their fourth semi-final in a row, huh ? How about "good" ?

Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 07, 2014, 04:39:44 am »

Germany is "dull" because it's their fourth semi-final in a row, huh ? How about "good" ?
They're good, but not thrilling to watch this tournament. I liked them better 4 years ago when they were playing better attacking football. Ozil is not even a shadow of his own talent and Gotze doesn't get to play much.

And whatever happened to Gomes or any other German striker so that they had to bring their old warhorse back on the battlefield? I haven't seen Klose contribute a lot, but he did score that goal against.. Ghana? Or was it USA? It's already so long ago.

I mean, Netherlands started every game (but the last one) playing pretty defensively, but at least they started playing more attacking football when the games called for it.

I can appreciate Germany's tactical gameplay and it certainly is paying off for them, but with the skill of their players, they should be able to play better football. It just isn't very sparkling.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 07, 2014, 07:11:38 am »

I wrote that with tongue in cheek, as ggf posting used "dull" as a measure of reappearance in the semifinal.

but at least [NED] started playing more attacking football when the games called for it.

You can say the same about Germany (last 20 minutes against Ghana, last 50 minutes against Algeria).

In fact, the game against France got the second-best reception here ("at least our defence is working again").
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 07, 2014, 09:45:03 am »

They're good, but not thrilling to watch this tournament. I liked them better 4 years ago when they were playing better attacking football. Ozil is not even a shadow of his own talent and Gotze doesn't get to play much.

And whatever happened to Gomes or any other German striker so that they had to bring their old warhorse back on the battlefield? I haven't seen Klose contribute a lot, but he did score that goal against.. Ghana? Or was it USA? It's already so long ago.

I mean, Netherlands started every game (but the last one) playing pretty defensively, but at least they started playing more attacking football when the games called for it.

I can appreciate Germany's tactical gameplay and it certainly is paying off for them, but with the skill of their players, they should be able to play better football. It just isn't very sparkling.

I know little about football (really just started watching this World Cup), but I really like Germany.  They seem much more calm and controlled than the other teams.  When Germany played US, it was like US was just scrambling the entire time and Germany was cool, business-as-usual.  Their ball control (passing) seems to be better (more accurate) than other teams.  Last Saturday, there seemed to be such a huge difference between the Germany/France game and the Colombia/Brazil game.. the latter appeared much more aggressive, fast-paced and somewhat hot-headed, while the former a bit more.. calculated, maybe. 

I don't really know the sport, so that's just a naive observation.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 07, 2014, 10:00:41 am »

We are all just saying the same thing over and over. Non-latin European teams (Germany and the Netherlands here, but also England, Belgium and Switzerland) play a balanced planned out game. South american teams played in a more improvised way. It has been like this at least in the last 25 years that I have been watching football and understanding a bit (I was 2 during Mexico 86).

Regarding this world cup, Argentina is playing dull? How come? It may be playing badly, but it is playing offensively, sometimes even more than it should. I think it is by far the most offensive team on the cup.

I like how the Netherlands is playing, but I do not like their style nor Germany's. Being the favorite and with score 0-0, they are already playing defense and counter strike by recovering in the midfield. It is effective, but that's what I call dull.

Brazil is playing horribly, but still, I think they may beat Germany and win the final even without being the team that plays best. Brazil has that way of winning, and they are the home team.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 07, 2014, 10:09:31 am »

I like how the Netherlands is playing, but I do not like their style nor Germany's. Being the favorite and with score 0-0, they are already playing defense and counter strike by recovering in the midfield. It is effective, but that's what I call dull.

From what I saw, Germany was not parking the bus at 0-0 in any game (first half time against both African teams was ineptitude, not defensive attitude). Netherlands sort of parked the bus against Mexico at 0-0, but in a match where spectators flee their seats in droves because weather conditions make watching a game you paid for unbearable I could give them a break.

They were a bit on the defensive side at the quarter final (they were the guys with the white jerseys, do I remember it right?).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:10:33 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 07, 2014, 02:34:21 pm »
+1

Soulnet, what you're saying is a rather stereotypial view of football, one that might have been accurate fifteen years ago, but not today. No one is playing this improvised, crazy South American football anymore. Maybe Columbia, and even then not really. These players are almost all playing in Europe, and they've all adopted a European style of play.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 07, 2014, 02:41:36 pm »

Soulnet, what you're saying is a rather stereotypial view of football, one that might have been accurate fifteen years ago, but not today. No one is playing this improvised, crazy South American football anymore. Maybe Columbia, and even then not really. These players are almost all playing in Europe, and they've all adopted a European style of play.

I think some basic tendencies remain. I was not trying to convey the message that any of those styles is extreme. And I agree with you that it has gotten more and more "blended" with the years.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 07, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »

Is it Colombia or Columbia by the way ? It's definitely an o in French, but I've seen it spelled both ways in English...

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 07, 2014, 02:50:01 pm »

Is it Colombia or Columbia by the way ? It's definitely an o in French, but I've seen it spelled both ways in English...

Its Colombia in English according to Wikipedia. I have pointed that out earlier in this thread.

Remember, when I was saying Colombia was more frightening than England and was taken almost as a crazy person?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 07, 2014, 02:52:50 pm »

Columbia is a school here.  I believe the reference is Christopher Columbus.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_(name)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:53:55 pm by Witherweaver »

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 07, 2014, 02:55:36 pm »

Columbia is a school here.  I believe the reference is Christopher Columbus.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_(name)

Colombia's name comes from Columbus as well, though in Spanish it is Colon with an o. Thus, the similarity.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 07, 2014, 02:57:47 pm »

I'm aware of the school, but the country's name also refers to Columbus. Which is spelled Colomb in French, (hence Colombie), and the source of my confusion since it's not the same in English and I have no clue as far as Spanish goes.

This is off-topic though. To get back on topic : I'm glad to see the impact the World Cup had in the US this year. It's a great, fun tournament to watch and be passionate about, and it gave us one of the best pieces of trolling I've ever seen with the Ann Coulter thing.

PPE : There we go.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 08, 2014, 02:13:30 pm »
+1

Did you wonder why all those players are looking so angry in the lineups? Well, here's why:
http://www.dancinghenryalmanac.com/world-cup-folding-arms/random-player.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:30:44 pm by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 08, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »

Its Colombia in English according to Wikipedia. I have pointed that out earlier in this thread.

Remember, when I was saying Colombia was more frightening than England and was taken almost as a crazy person?

No, I remember, and can still find, you saying Colimbia would get further than Netherlands......hows that working out?

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 08, 2014, 03:17:13 pm »

Did you wonder why all those players are looking so angry in the lineups? Well, here's why:
http://www.dancinghenryalmanac.com/world-cup-folding-arms/random-player.html

It's funny because this is the intro they have had in Darts for years.....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 08, 2014, 03:19:47 pm »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/07/03/world_cup_player_introductions_a_deep_analysis_of_how_soccer_players_fold.html

I'm rolling on the floor. I haven't laughed this much in a while, this was hilarious.

"Like a terrified bunny rabbit" ;D
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 08, 2014, 03:39:19 pm »
+1

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/07/03/world_cup_player_introductions_a_deep_analysis_of_how_soccer_players_fold.html

Man, I gotta go with the Netherlands guy, Robben.

I second this.  I just can't see a guy who goes double-under winning this.  Over-under is clearly the correct way to fold your arms.  Those guys who go double-over or double-over are just wrong.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 08, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »

I don't understand what's happening. 4-0 in 26 minutes?

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 08, 2014, 04:27:33 pm »

This is unbelievable stuff right here.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 08, 2014, 04:27:44 pm »

WOW! Just WOW!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26  All

Page created in 2.68 seconds with 21 queries.