Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26  All

Author Topic: World Cup - Brazil 2014 + f.ds Bracket Challenge See OP  (Read 134771 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup - Brazil 2014 + f.ds Bracket Challenge See OP
« Reply #425 on: June 30, 2014, 12:09:09 pm »
+1

I just +1ed the posts that say it was a penalty because that is exactly what it was.  I do not understand how much people are complaining about it.  Commentators, average football fans, your mother-in-law, etc.  Marquez stepped on Robben's foot, which caused him to fall over.  Penalty.  Sure it was embellished, but defenders know that is going to happen and don't need to make reckless challenges like that one was.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 30, 2014, 01:28:39 pm »

The penalty is an awkward punishment though.

Basically, the rule is that any foul committed on a player inside the box is a direct free kick, thus a penalty. Only things like the keeper picking up the ball with his hands if passed to by his own defense are indirect free kicks.

Currently, there is no grey area, it's either a penalty or no foul at all. This causes defenders to take risks knowing that refs often won't punish severely by giving a penalty kick for light fouls. I think the refs should be able to give indirect free kicks inside the box for light fouls (based on their own judgement). Sure, this doesn't really solve the issue, but makes it more complex. Now the refs have to judge whether something is no foul, a light foul or a penalty. I still think it's better than the way it is now though.

Also, I have no idea why there are no video refs in football. Well, I know why there aren't (Blatter and his men in their ivory tower), but there should be! Just give each captain 3 moments they can look back (like a supposed penalty that wasn't given) per half or something. There is way too much at stake to let human error be a deciding factor. Football is just so far behind something like field hockey where they keep innovating their sport.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 30, 2014, 02:23:36 pm »

Just give each captain 3 moments they can look back (like a supposed penalty that wasn't given) per half or something.

Any bets that the captains will use a challenge when the opposition are rushing on the counterattack?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 30, 2014, 03:22:27 pm »

Well, you would obviously only allow it at the same moments where you could otherwise bring on a substitute.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 30, 2014, 04:07:59 pm »

Well, you would obviously only allow it at the same moments where you could otherwise bring on a substitute.

That could imply rewinding several minutes of play (possibly including a goal or a penalty). Would you only allow video ref for plays that do not continue too long after the alleged unsanctioned foul?

As for why it did not happen, I think it give the referees more power, and since FIFA decides referees, it gives FIFA more power to have referee decisions be final. I do not think they arrange every match, but I do think they tweak it by assigning referees with this or that property to particular games.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 30, 2014, 04:10:48 pm »

It's a clear penalty, defender steps on the forward's foot in the box as he's running to the ball. Yes he embellished but I think it's a clear penalty.

I am really really hoping we get a Germany-France match (and would be surprised if we don't). Getting pumped for tomorrow!

I just +1ed the posts that say it was a penalty because that is exactly what it was.  I do not understand how much people are complaining about it.  Commentators, average football fans, your mother-in-law, etc.  Marquez stepped on Robben's foot, which caused him to fall over.  Penalty.  Sure it was embellished, but defenders know that is going to happen and don't need to make reckless challenges like that one was.

The super slo-mo here was focused on how he didn't actually touch Robben at all.  Marquez's foot came down cleanly on the grass and Robben literally dove over the foot.

As for how much he embellished...again, on super slo-mo you've got superman arms before the foul starts and a grimace worthy of childbirth for what was, at worst, an ouchie on his foot, and was actually a non-touch (from super slo-mo replay here).
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 30, 2014, 04:15:13 pm »

In other news, go Algeria!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 30, 2014, 06:55:00 pm »

Well that was the best match of this World Cup (admiteddly I didn't see Netherlands/Spain). I'm so impressed by what Algeria did.

I felt very lonely rooting for Germany over here, and I think people will underestimate their performance here. They got everything right except for the actual scoring part, which is more than I can say for us.

What's up with the referees loving France in this WOrld Cup by the way ? Matuidi should've been out the door, and I don't see us winning the match from there... not unhappy with the result, but puzzled.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 01, 2014, 03:46:51 am »

Currently, there is no grey area, it's either a penalty or no foul at all. This causes defenders to take risks knowing that refs often won't punish severely by giving a penalty kick for light fouls. I think the refs should be able to give indirect free kicks inside the box for light fouls (based on their own judgement). Sure, this doesn't really solve the issue, but makes it more complex. Now the refs have to judge whether something is no foul, a light foul or a penalty. I still think it's better than the way it is now though.

I can remember that indirects in the box were called until the early 1980s.

I'd be more o.k. with these "grey area" non-calls if it went both ways, i.e. a goal after nudging or tripping a defender would count.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2014, 03:53:08 am »

Well that was the best match of this World Cup (admiteddly I didn't see Netherlands/Spain). I'm so impressed by what Algeria did.

[Germany] got everything right except for the actual scoring part, which is more than I can say for us.

Germany was tactically outmaneuvered until half time. It doesn't take much to best the team in tactics, but still a great effort, and had Algeria scored in the first half the game would have gone a different way.

All tactical reconsiderations and substitutes by Löw were spot on. Second half was as I expected the whole game to be.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 01, 2014, 04:38:32 am »

I can remember that indirects in the box were called until the early 1980s.

I'd be more o.k. with these "grey area" non-calls if it went both ways, i.e. a goal after nudging or tripping a defender would count.
Which actual rule modifications need to be implemented is up for debate, but currently, there is no debate at all! Or at least, a very slow one.
I'd rather they just try something and see if it works instead of holding out for so long.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2014, 02:37:36 pm »

Group winners are 7-7 thus far in the round of 16. I think a group runner up is due for a win.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2014, 05:53:12 pm »
+1

I am so stressed out by this game. How is it not 10-0 Belgium?

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2014, 05:56:10 pm »

I guess Howard is a pretty good keeper :)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2014, 05:59:45 pm »

I don't have any experience with this sport.  Who would be favored if this comes down to penalty kicks?

Edit: I mean, I'm asking this of anyone that has some evaluation of Belgium and USA.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:57 pm »

It won't.  USA is out.  We don't deserve to be here.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »

I don't have any experience with this sport.  Who would be favored if this comes down to penalty kicks?

Edit: I mean, I'm asking this of anyone that has some evaluation of Belgium and USA.

In my experience penalties are a crapshoot. But seeing as how good Howard has been today...

Now let's get an equalizer.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 01, 2014, 06:03:17 pm »

I thought you were Australian!

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 01, 2014, 06:21:17 pm »

klinsmann seems to have a good hands for who to bring

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 01, 2014, 06:24:34 pm »

I thought you were Australian!

I live in Australia.  I'm from the US.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 01, 2014, 06:34:36 pm »

Damn. Phenomenal game though.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #446 on: July 01, 2014, 06:55:49 pm »
+1

Not an undeserved loss but a brutal one.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 01, 2014, 06:59:42 pm »

Well that is that. Beckerman should have been in the game. We might not have won if he had been, but we wouldn't have given up 18+ shots on target. Cameron was awful--playing out of position I don't blame him at all. Wondo was the one sub I didn't like. Would have preferred Becks coming in for Bedoya, having Yedlin slide up and Cameron over to right back. Zusi also was pretty bad.

And ash, we did deserve to be there. We deserved exactly what we got. We are a top 16 team, but not a top 8. Some work to do yet... Also that last goal was exactly what I was talking about earlier in regard to Bradley.

Lot's of hope for the future. Yedlin, Brooks, Greene, etc, etc are quite promising.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 01, 2014, 07:02:30 pm »

So long, USA, and thanks for all the fish.

Related : to soulnet, if you still don't think Argentina is a mediocre team being carried by an exceptional player after yesterday's match, I don't know what to tell you. This is exactly what Argentina was in the 80's too !
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 01, 2014, 07:07:42 pm »

You mean today's match? :P

Come one, Argentina played pretty well, and probably deserved to win like 3-1 in regular time (especially for the second half, the first half was a pretty deserved tie). Also, if the ref would have shown the Swiss the two or three yellow cards they deserved in the first half, maybe the game would have gone differently. Of course, he also let Argentina play rough after that, but a rough game is in detriment of the team that actually wanted to score.

Defense in the last 5 minutes sucked, I'll give you that, although the referee ended the game 3 minutes later than he should (he is not supposed to let Switzerland take the free kick, only penalties prevent the game from ending after the time is due).

Ironically, I think this is the game Argentina played best so far, and still did not manage to win in the first 90 minutes like in the past 3 games. I am pretty confident we will beat Belgium anyway, those guys cannot defend.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:08:45 pm by soulnet »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26  All

Page created in 1.801 seconds with 21 queries.