Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Theory about what is going on with Goko  (Read 17086 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Theory about what is going on with Goko
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 05:54:14 pm »
+1

No, but there is quite an easy way to find out and judge for yourself: Check DXV's post history.

I was doing that while you typed this and found some suspects (including a strong main suspect), but not conclusive evidence. And I am not willing to spend more than 15 minutes on this until I am not supposed to be working.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »
+2

I just loved that whole debacle, what a classic nerd-rage incident.  Engaging people in arguments you don't really want to have, then claiming those arguments were so awful they somehow forced you into taking some kind of drastic action.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 06:24:11 pm »
+4

No, but there is quite an easy way to find out and judge for yourself: Check DXV's post history.

Come on, dude, there is no need to pussyfoot around this. If you've got something to say, come out and say it.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 07:17:38 pm »
+2

I said what I think needs to be said. I wanted to point out that what people in this thread have neen saying is wrong, and then clarified to pops I wasn't talking about him. I really think that if people want to know what happened they should draw their own conclusions.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »
+1

lol, I wasn't really active on the forums around the time he left, but iirc he insisted on framing everyone who voiced legitimate concerns about Goko as basically a whiny kid who got his supply of free candy taken away from him.

Since Goko turned out much, much worse than even its staunchest critics predicted, it would really grace DXV if he could just admit that he was wrong.
THis is just plainly false. Dobald X had an issue mainly with one specific person who had no legitimate concerns about Goko and  I believe that's why he stopped posting here.

I really have no idea which part of my post you think is "plainly false". I guess you misread it as claiming anything about Donald's motives for leaving, which it did not. I definitely remember him using childish rhetorical trickery and the good old ostrich-response when confronted with legitimate concerns throughout that debate.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 09:59:12 pm »
+1

Without arguing about whether saying Goko is "worse than even its staunchest critics predicted" is exactly true, or a bit of poetic overstatement to underline a point, I think we'd all probably agree that Goko has been an absolute disaster for Dominion….

After a period of improvement (from awful - to playable, but still far from excellent) it is looking like it is about to end in the smouldering heap that many had predicted:
*game becoming increasingly buggy / servers not properly maintained
*no updates from Goko staff on GetSatisfaction
*the new CEO announcing in August (was it?) that there would be a September roll out for the iOS app which is now months overdue without explanation (surprise, surprise)

So where to from here?

Will Goko be liquidated and such assets as it holds (exclusive licenses) be auctioned to return some money to the investors? Would this see the current version of Dominion as developed by Goko simply cease to exist and anyone acquiring the license would start development again from square one? Now the brand of Dominion has been significantly damaged by Goko will developers be as keen to take it on?

Or would it be bought at a fire-sale price as a potentially "going concern"? Meaning that someone will take over the version of Dominion that Goko has developed and try maintain / develop it in some direction? Would there be anything salvageable from this debacle?

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »
+1

Or would it be bought at a fire-sale price as a potentially "going concern"? Meaning that someone will take over the version of Dominion that Goko has developed and try maintain / develop it in some direction? Would there be anything salvageable from this debacle?

Now there's an idea... I wonder how much investors would be willing to get to sell Goko and if that amount would be in the ballpark of what a Kickstarter could raise

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 12:00:22 am »
+2

Are such contracts typically transferable? If I were a publisher licensing a game, I'd want a clause in there saying it could only be transferred with permission.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 12:04:54 am »
+1

Are such contracts typically transferable? If I were a publisher licensing a game, I'd want a clause in there saying it could only be transferred with permission.

I wasn't talking about transferring. If Goko is bought outright then it doesn't matter. That of course depends a lot on who exactly owns Goko, how much they'd be willing to settle for a majority-share buyout and how much debt (if any) that they've accumulated.
Considering the rough estimate of financials I can't see them settling for less than $150-200k for majority share but they will probably want more than that.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 01:04:47 am »
+4

dondon is my alt, it still counts.  Theory will surely ban me.  (we're both WW alts, but that's irrelevant)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 01:11:33 am »
+2

dondon is my alt, it still counts.  Theory will surely ban me.  (we're both WW alts, but that's irrelevant)

I feel like this whole forum is in a conspiracy against me...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 02:00:29 am »
+5

He found out! What do we do now?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 02:21:25 am »
+4

He found out! What do we do now?

Quick, sudgy watch this video of baby pandas and forget about any conspiracy nonsense.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 02:30:04 am »
+1

So that's why my swing seat is broken.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 02:42:11 am »
+1

Ah those pandas almost made me forget that I'm not real.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 05:13:56 pm »
+4

Now there's an idea... I wonder how much investors would be willing to get to sell Goko and if that amount would be in the ballpark of what a Kickstarter could raise

Are you suggesting we use this forum to start a Kickstarter to buy Goko Dominion??? If so, maybe we can get Isotropic back but instead with official art.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 07:18:43 pm »
+1

Are you suggesting we use this forum to start a Kickstarter to buy Goko Dominion??? If so, maybe we can get Isotropic back but instead with official art.

I don't think a KS is going to do it, somehow.  Million-plus KSs are rare and usually spearheaded by someone already known.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 07:35:46 pm »
+1

Goko is worth millions?

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 07:39:37 pm »
+1

I don't think a KS is going to do it, somehow.  Million-plus KSs are rare and usually spearheaded by someone already known.

Yeah, it all depends on how much the owner(s) of Funsockets Inc. will be willing to settle for. If its in the mid to low 100k's I think it's do-able, but they probably won't be willing to do that unless their next launch also flops/is significantly delayed...

Goko is worth millions?

It depends. It still has potential to make money, and ultimately we can't buy it if it's owners aren't willing to sell, or have unreasonable expectations as to what it's worth. Also, beyond the cost of acquiring Goko, there's also the costs of fixing stuff up again etc.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 08:12:30 pm »
+3

We don't need to buy Goko. We just need to get the digital license to Dominion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 08:29:47 pm »
+1

OK, so we're still looking at... $100K or so?  More?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 11:31:32 pm »
+1

Based off current revenue, assuming that existing purchases are honored, and that maintenance work will be required probably in the ballpark of $100-150k. But that depends on the legal complexities surrounding Funsockets / RGG / DXV (insofar as DXV is able to renegotiate the rights to Dominion at some point in time).

Buying Goko/Funsockets probably won't cost much more than that if they can't launch another product and has the added advantage of being able to get financial support from people who would like to see online implementations of the other games Funsockets has rights to.

All bets are off if they can launch something else successfully though. Stranger things have happened.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2013, 11:42:59 am »
+2

Internet start ups do not make money in general. It's all venture capital so not even their money
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2013, 02:54:23 pm »
+4

Any word from DXV?
No because we hurt his feelings so much that he had to leave, poor guy.

I think that was mostly me.  I need a ban.

Wish granted
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2013, 11:06:04 pm »
+1

Buying Goko/Funsockets probably won't cost much more than that if they can't launch another product and has the added advantage of being able to get financial support from people who would like to see online implementations of the other games Funsockets has rights to.

All bets are off if they can launch something else successfully though. Stranger things have happened.

Not many stranger things have happened.

Bet you can't name 2….
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.