Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: slog fairgrounds+IGG vs minion stack  (Read 2499 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
slog fairgrounds+IGG vs minion stack
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:25:26 pm »
+4

Code: [Select]
Shanty Town, Baron, Navigator, Scout, Silk Road, Young Witch, Butcher, Ill-Gotten Gains, Minion, Venture, FairgroundsShanty was the bane.
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131122/log.5075b25251c30da02a09b898.1385147298293.txt

I wanted to share this game b/c I enjoyed it a lot and it was somewhat unusual for me: I almost never win trying to slog with fairgrounds.  But here, the engine is rather delicate, and Silk Road makes strong support for the slog.  Minion stacks need high minion density, so junking attacks and extended greening hurt. 

He starts buying Shanty Towns, indicating more of an engine direction.  T6 he gets a minion.  Typically, uncontested Minions are quite strong, but here the only trashing is Butcher, and it's hard to get Butcher to turn curses into engine parts without useful $2s.  Plus, he gets his first minion after I've gotten 2 silvers and a gold, and minions don't really like treasure.  Instead, I have to hurt his minion stack.  That means junking him.  With all the Shantys he's got, YW won't do it.  IGG is the way to go.  IGG can hand out curses very fast if you can hit $5 reliably, and that's really going to hurt the Minions.

However, IGG rush is also out because of the Young Witch.  When Hinterlands first came out, I looked at IGG, figured out whether it was rushable, and if it wasn't I'd tend to ignore it.  Later, I saw how can IGG work in the presence of other cursers, helping you win the split.  IGG is usually a crappy silver after you buy it, so you often don't want it outside of rushes, but TfB is one of the major exceptions to that rule.  IGG works real well with Butcher.  But in a slog where you're not trying to hit $8, the copper gaining doesn't hurt and can even help.  Here, where I'm trying to hit $6 with a hand of four cards, copper isn't so hot, but $6 is not $8, so it's not that bad either.

My fifteen uniques for FG are to include IGG, YW, Butcher, Shanty Town, G/S/C, Curse, P/D/E, Fairgrounds, and Silk Road, so I'll need two more.  Baron is decent - I'd trashed two estates, but the estate gaining is nice for beefing up the Silk Road.  That leaves Minion, Venture, Navigator and poopooface.  Of these, Venture helps my deck the most, but I get a navigator b/c I'm nervous about getting up to 15 uniques quickly in case of an early end.  Plus, I mostly want to bump my $5 turns up to $6 with tokens.

Long story short, my plan works.  Yed is able to draw his deck pretty reliably, but all the curses and coppers prevent those crucial Minion collisions.  Plus, it takes quite a while for him to get the engine running.  By the end he's struggling to hit $5.

I benefited from some good luck, blocking the YW often, few terminal collisions, and my butcher never missed the reshuffle, and of course first player advantage helps in cursing games, but I am inclined to credit my choices for the win.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
Re: slog fairgrounds+IGG vs minion stack
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:00:15 pm »
+3

I just wanted to share that "poopooface" is my new favorite euphemism for Scout.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:28:05 pm »

Maybe I should have empty the Minion pile before I started greening.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:12:05 am »

given the length of the game, that would probably not have been a bad move. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »

Do we think Baron-Silk road is a thing on this board?

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:33:23 pm »

My impression of Baron+SR is that it's quite weak.  The two estate gains I got from the baron pushed my SRs over to 4 pts each, but it's not a rush, and in a slog, you can get more points from FG.

Lhurgoyf

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 05:58:35 am »

I always thought it was common knowledge that Minion decks lose badly against any kind of cursers (or other junkers).

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 11:26:02 am »

I always thought it was common knowledge that Minion decks lose badly against any kind of cursers (or other junkers).

Minion is at least a Silver (edge-cases excluded) with possible filtering/attacking. It's probably not that good as a whole strategy without other things around to support it , but money and filtering are quite nice in cursing games. Of course, there's quite some better $5 a lot of times (like the curser itself).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.019 seconds with 21 queries.