Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 91  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXVI: Dynasty Warriors Mafia 2 The Battle of Red Cliffs(Town wins!)  (Read 202042 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXVI: Dynasty Warriors Mafia 2 The Battle of Red Cliffs
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2013, 09:51:55 pm »

why does him voting for you make you want to vote for him?

Oh. Just RVS, and he didn't really provide any reason for voting for me so why not?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2013, 09:53:43 pm »

Who were the two people who subbed in? liopoil and someone else....

When did you two tell mcmc that you were going to play in the game?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2013, 09:56:24 pm »

What liopoil subbed in? Vote: liopoil

But actually unvote

I needed to get off my rvs chairs vote.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2013, 09:56:59 pm »

Why?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2013, 10:01:02 pm »

Why?
well, for one, if I decide to actually vote chairs then I would want to unvote then revote just to show I actually meant my vote. And I don't want to get anyone confused by vote counts that would have me voting chairs seeing as how I have had some civilized discussion with him.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2013, 10:14:18 pm »

I'm still quite confused, and mcmc's clarification has not improved this.

Mcmc, are you saying that all no-face officers are VTs? Thus, face officers are VTs? Zhang Fei (ashersky) and Zhuge Liang (2.7) are both face officers. So they are both PRs? So confused.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 09, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »

A face officer is someone with a unique avatar in the Dynasty Warriors series. A no-face officer is someone who does not have a unique avatar.

I think the best way for all of you to quickly know whether someone is a "face-officer" or not officially is to check the DW7 wiki page, which lists all unique avatar officers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_7

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2013, 10:24:29 pm »

Some general information about the Battle of the Red Cliffs, as promised...

In 200 AD, the warlord Cao Cao had united most of central and northern China under his rule. His lands were called the Kingdom of Wei. The Emperor was his puppet. The Emperor's uncle, Liu Bei, was still actively resisting Cao Cao, but had no lands and only a small force. Liu Bei's forces would eventually become the Kingdom of Shu, but at this time, they were no kingdom at all.

Liu Bei fled to the Kingdom of Wu, in the southeast. Wu was ruled by Sun Quan, a popular leader. They were naval experts, and prosperous. Sun Quan did not know whether to resist Cao Cao and join with Liu Bei, or surrender peacefully to Cao Cao in exchange for retention over his lands. SUn Quan asked his chief strategist, the handsome Zhou Yu, what to do. Zhou Yu was initially undecided, until he spoke with Liu Bei's strategist, the brilliant Zhuge Liang. Zhuge Liang convinced Zhou Yu that Cao Cao wanted to enslave Zho Yu's wife, thus persuading the man to persuade Sun Quan to go to war.

Zhou Yu was commander-in-chief for the Wu forces. Cao Cao led the Wei forces himself. He assembled a massive navy and sailed down the river to Wu. Wu was vastly outnumbered, but had the home field advantage, essentially. Zhou Yu with the help of Zhuge Liang, invented a brilliant strategy for success. Pang Tong, a friend of Zhuge Liang, pretended to defect to Wei. He then gave bad advice to Cao Cao: He told Cao Cao to chain his ships together to prevent seasickness. Once the ships were chained, Zhou Yu instructed one of his officers, Huang Gai, to feign defection to Wei.

Huang Gai sailed his ship toward the Wei fleet. At that moment, Zhuge Liang offered a prayer and changed the direction of the wind. Huang Gai lit his ship on fire and crashed it into Cao Cao's fleet. With the help of the wind, all of Cao Cao's ships were engulfed in flame.

Zhou Yu realized that with Zhuge Liang at his side, Liu Bei would one day become a threat to Wu. He sent an assassin to kill Zhuge Liang, but the sorcerer escaped.

Cao Cao fled the battle. Zhuge Liang arranged his men so that Cao Cao could slip by--for if Cao Cao had perished, Wu would have seized control of China completely. Cao Cao's defeat and subsequent escape created an equilibrium that allowed for the three roughly equal kingdoms to emerge.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2013, 10:43:10 pm »

Mcmc, are you saying that all no-face officers are VTs? Thus, face officers are VTs? Zhang Fei (ashersky) and Zhuge Liang (2.7) are both face officers. So they are both PRs? So confused.

A face officer is someone with a unique avatar in the Dynasty Warriors series. A no-face officer is someone who does not have a unique avatar.

I think the best way for all of you to quickly know whether someone is a "face-officer" or not officially is to check the DW7 wiki page, which lists all unique avatar officers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_7

"No Face Officer" means "Vanilla Townie" as I have now said 3 times. "No face officer" does not mean "Not a Playable Character in the game series"
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2013, 10:56:30 pm »

"No Face Officer" means "Vanilla Townie" as I have now said 3 times. "No face officer" does not mean "Not a Playable Character in the game series"

Okay, now I get it. Okay. So for the purposes of this game, it doesn't actually matter whether a character has a unique avatar in Dynasty Warriors. Zhang Fei could be a No-Face Officer (Vanilla Townie) even though he is very much a face officer in DW.

Okay, so that's actually good. This means that the people who flavor claimed didn't actually announce that they had PRs.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2013, 10:58:51 pm »

Well in this case, I think I support flavor claiming. It doesn't really tell anyone anything for sure. Like, I couldn't say for certain what type of PR Zhuge Liang should have, if he has one. However, later, when people role claim, they will have to justify whether the PR they have makes sense given the character they have.

I think it puts up barriers for scum who have to lie. Yes?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:37 pm »

I will not be claiming anything under any circumstance except to counterclaim or maybe at L-1.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:58 pm »

I will not be claiming anything under any circumstance except to counterclaim or maybe at L-1.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:56 pm »

Well, okay, but can you point where my logic is wrong?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2013, 11:06:07 pm »

It creates a possibility of ousting PRs. More than the possibility of ousting scum, to me. Therefore, I will not support claiming.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2013, 11:08:22 pm »

Well, okay, but can you point where my logic is wrong?

I have not looked at your logic nor do I desire to look at your logic so I have no idea if it is wrong or not. But regardless I won't be claiming. I signed up to play a mafia game... not "guess what the flavor means" especially when that means absolutely nothing to me (sorry mcmc, it doesn't. I don't play this video game. I have never heard of it and certainly didn't signup because of the flavor)

for me flavor is a fun sidenote, but not all part of what I consider to be the true mafia game and I refuse to use it or participate in it.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2013, 11:09:38 pm »

It creates a possibility of ousting PRs. More than the possibility of ousting scum, to me. Therefore, I will not support claiming.

Well, I think you're wrong. Like, we've had two people role claim, Zhang Fei and Zhuge Liang. Zhang Fei is a super awesome, fearsome warrior. Zhuge Liang is the most brilliant strategist in Chinese history, and also something of a magician. Tell me, which PRs are they, if any?

That's the thing: You can't. Now, you can say perhaps maybe some are more likely than others. So when it comes time for claiming, we can sanity check the claim against the name given right now. I think this is beneficial, and creates more hurdles for scum than it does out naybody right now.

The only downside I see I guess is that this primarily helps me, since I know the flavor much better. So maybe from your shoes it doesn't make as much sense.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 09, 2013, 11:10:46 pm »

We're playing the game we're playing, yuma. This is very unlike you.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2013, 11:12:26 pm »

How so? Name one game where I have ever said claiming was something we should do day1.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:47 pm »

How so? Name one game where I have ever said claiming was something we should do day1.

Claiming Mafia XII: Claim to Win! is one off the top of my head.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2013, 11:14:31 pm »

No, I know you are generally against claiming, but I thought that was for strategic reasons--it's often bad--rather than moral reasons.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:39 pm »

No, I know you are generally against claiming, but I thought that was for strategic reasons--it's often bad--rather than moral reasons.

I'm with Robz here.  Although, I'm all about claiming most of the time.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 09, 2013, 11:45:13 pm »

Claiming Mafia XII: Claim to Win! is one off the top of my head.

I wasn't in that game.

Why can't it be both?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 09, 2013, 11:50:03 pm »

The flavor was left ambiguous to force mafia and town to make interesting decisions involving claiming and finding scum/pr's I am sick of explaining every little piece. I have given all information people need multiple times...

This is an invented game that acts almost entirely like a normal game, if you don't like it /out and I will find you a replacement
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:57 am »

The flavor was left ambiguous to force mafia and town to make interesting decisions involving claiming and finding scum/pr's I am sick of explaining every little piece. I have given all information people need multiple times...

This is an invented game that acts almost entirely like a normal game, if you don't like it /out and I will find you a replacement

+1

Also, I like it.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 91  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.