Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 91  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXVI: Dynasty Warriors Mafia 2 The Battle of Red Cliffs(Town wins!)  (Read 202250 times)

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXVI: Dynasty Warriors Mafia 2 The Battle of Red Cliffs
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2013, 05:10:42 pm »

Ok. That's not my only reason to be against it though. The other one is that I have trouble seeing a scenario where flavour claiming is good for town without being broken. There probably is, but I just don't see it myself.

Fair enough.  I can see it being beneficial in certain scenarios, mostly to strengthen the claim of a given role (presumably certain characters will be more likely to contain certain roles, for example), but overall I don't think it's terribly beneficial D1.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2013, 05:11:02 pm »

This game will be run as a straight up JK9++

Days Will last roughly 10 days each and Night will last roughly 2 days.

Claiming both role, and flavor will be allowed this game. Flavor does follow logically the events of Dynasty Warriors.

I also have finals next week.

Same here. But I am also really eager to start this game. So maybe it'll start just a little bit slower than normal?
Even with finals, I'm still going to have a fair amount of time.

So how exactly does flavor claiming work? Does that just mean that when we claim we can also claim flavor (names, etc)?

Yes it means if you want you can claim to be Meng Huo of the Nanaman Clan. That would be silly because he has no business being anywhere near Chi Bi but you know you could say that. Flavor will relate directly to alignment so heads up, don't claim Cao Cao

Basically, it reads to me like flavor will help with alignments, but not too much because flavor will not logically follow the events of Dynasty Warriors. 

PPE: I will get to chairs next
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »

Basically, it reads to me like flavor will help with alignments, but not too much because flavor will not logically follow the events of Dynasty Warriors. 

How do you come to that conclusion? It's literally the exact opposite of what you quoted.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »

vote: e lynch all liars.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2013, 05:14:40 pm »

How do you come to that conclusion? It's literally the exact opposite of what you quoted.
oh

yeah

i read that wrong
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2013, 05:23:45 pm »

I will say, I have to imagine all players in the game have a flavor NAME they can claim.  I mean, we were all provided with names in the last one, and I think mcmc loves the flavor too much to NOT assign names.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2013, 05:24:54 pm »

I will say, I have to imagine all players in the game have a flavor NAME they can claim.  I mean, we were all provided with names in the last one, and I think mcmc loves the flavor too much to NOT assign names.

What's your read on chairs?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2013, 05:25:57 pm »

He's clearly the vig.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2013, 05:27:02 pm »

In all seriousness, top scum read, along with Teproc.  Hesitance/fear of the claiming TALK, even before the claiming, is a scum tell.

I mean, hardcore NO WAY BAD IDEA would have been fine.  But the "hmm, hrmmm, plrbst" stuff looks bad, like fear.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2013, 05:31:36 pm »

well dang. All this and I haven't even posted yet... and I doubt I'm alone in that. How many people haven't posted yet and we already have potential strong reads on people based on flavor claims?

I really doubt that flavor claiming could give us a positive benefit. I mean, the whole point of flavor is that it's unrelated to the real game, right? I'll gladly flavor claim if it does indeed give us a benefit, but if this is the case I think it pretty much goes against the idea of the game and isn't really what I signed up for.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2013, 05:34:20 pm »

unvote for sure. Chairs is 99% town I am thinking.
vote: Voltaire too many town reads so early in the game.

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2013, 05:34:38 pm »

As far as chairs goes.  I think he could be either scum or town.  The only thing we have so far is that he is anti-claim

First of all, it is clear that everyone is given a name.  That name also has a direct correlation to your status as town or scum.

scum reasons to oppose claim:  You were not given fake-claims.  You will have to do some work to figure out a good fake-claim, then hope no one counterclaims you. 

town reason for opposing claim:  You believe it will out PRs. 

Now, I do not think that the town reasoning is solid.  I think that both VTs and town PRs will have names that are indistinguishable from each other.  Further, the town reasoning against claiming flavor is not really awesome either.  Again, I believe that VT and PR names will be somewhat indistinguishable.  Since we merely disagree that town would oppose claiming, I do not think that it is enough to say that chairs is scum yet, but I am suspicious.

Now, another reason town might want to avoid claiming is because you also believe that scum have fake claims which makes the exercise pointless.  This is entirely false.  What this is doing is forcing everyone to get an opinion down.  Either anti-claim, pro-claim (not claimed), or pro-claim (claimed) that we can use later to figure things out.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2013, 05:35:27 pm »

In all seriousness, top scum read, along with Teproc.  Hesitance/fear of the claiming TALK, even before the claiming, is a scum tell.

I mean, hardcore NO WAY BAD IDEA would have been fine.  But the "hmm, hrmmm, plrbst" stuff looks bad, like fear.

Agree regarding Teproc.

In my opinion chairs has committed a town!slip. Or a scum!slip. So probably a town!slip. The trick is it's one of those "it hurts town to explain why" situations.

well dang. All this and I haven't even posted yet... and I doubt I'm alone in that. How many people haven't posted yet and we already have potential strong reads on people based on flavor claims?

I really doubt that flavor claiming could give us a positive benefit. I mean, the whole point of flavor is that it's unrelated to the real game, right? I'll gladly flavor claim if it does indeed give us a benefit, but if this is the case I think it pretty much goes against the idea of the game and isn't really what I signed up for.

I have no reads based on flavor claims! I don't think anyone does! I have strong reads based on how people have reacted/talked about flavor claims. FoS: liopoil.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2013, 05:39:00 pm »

Have you read all my posts?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2013, 05:40:45 pm »

I have no reads based on flavor claims! I don't think anyone does! I have strong reads based on how people have reacted/talked about flavor claims. FoS: liopoil.
that's what I meant. And those reads are even necessarily bad to have at this point, I might agree with them (not entirely caught up yet)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2013, 05:40:54 pm »

If the claim does nothing, why does it matter who was for or against it ?

The way I see it :
- scum doesn't have any fake claim. We massclaim names and we win. This has a 0% chance to happen because the game would just be stupid if it were the case
- scum does have fake claims. PRs and VTs are undistinguishable. This gives us nothing. I fail to see how it would be relevant to see who is for or against it if the claiming accomplishes nothing.
- scum does have fake claims. PRs and VTs are recognizable. Yay, we just outed PRs !

I think the second option is by far the most likely, and I don't see the point of it. Since there is a risk that the third option is a thing, I'm against it, and I assume scum would be in favor (which is not to say I assume everyone in favor would be scum).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2013, 05:42:04 pm »

In my opinion chairs has committed a town!slip. Or a scum!slip. So probably a town!slip. The trick is it's one of those "it hurts town to explain why" situations.

Time for a rage vote Voltaire.  Scumslip talk?  You hate scumslips.  Is yuma here?  Holy crap.  Ha!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2013, 05:43:42 pm »

Totally anti-claim. Mcmc would have given scum fakeclaims and it night oust PRs. They will probably be different flavor-wise. I don't wanna bet the ~ 2% chance scum don't have fakeclaims against the ~55% chance it'll give away PRs.

Have you read all my posts?
Yes, just wanting to get down a semi serious vote for now.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »

Time for a rage vote Voltaire.  Scumslip talk?  You hate scumslips.  Is yuma here?  Holy crap.  Ha!

Yeah, so it's clearly not a scum!slip. The last sentence is the part that matters. How insane/risky are we comfortable with me being? It's probably not worth it.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2013, 05:44:57 pm »

See, mail-mi gets it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 09, 2013, 05:45:15 pm »

Yeah, so it's clearly not a scum!slip. The last sentence is the part that matters. How insane/risky are we comfortable with me being? It's probably not worth it.

This early in the game?  Definitely worth keeping things under wraps.  Later in the game, more info is better for the town.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:21 pm »

What do we make of mcmc's "wait for N1" comment?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:28 pm »

I'm fine with you not clarifying. If we get a serious wagon on you or chairs you'll have to say more, but I don't see any necessity until then. It also doesn't change the way I read chairs in any way to me.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »

This early in the game?  Definitely worth keeping things under wraps.  Later in the game, more info is better for the town.

Since when is this how ashersky plays? vote: ashersky.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2013, 05:49:38 pm »

well dang. All this and I haven't even posted yet... and I doubt I'm alone in that.

You aren't. I know absolutely nothing about dynasty warriors. And am somewhat confused as to the importance of flavor.

If the claim does nothing, why does it matter who was for or against it ?

The way I see it :
- scum doesn't have any fake claim. We massclaim names and we win. This has a 0% chance to happen because the game would just be stupid if it were the case
- scum does have fake claims. PRs and VTs are undistinguishable. This gives us nothing. I fail to see how it would be relevant to see who is for or against it if the claiming accomplishes nothing.
- scum does have fake claims. PRs and VTs are recognizable. Yay, we just outed PRs !

I think the second option is by far the most likely, and I don't see the point of it. Since there is a risk that the third option is a thing, I'm against it, and I assume scum would be in favor (which is not to say I assume everyone in favor would be scum).
So it's possible that flavor could reveal whether you're a PR or not? As I said, I know absolutely nothing about the flavor. But  I could just look up names on the dynasty warriors wiki or something. If scum has been provided with fake flavor names, then claiming doesn't really get town anything, does it? And it seems that options 1 and 3 would skew the game somewhat.
Sorry, just really confused about the whole flavor thing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 91  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.