Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Remembering Your First Game of Dominion  (Read 21348 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering Your First Game of Dominion
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »
+2

isotropic is awesome and everything, but learning how to play dominion on it doesn't sound like much fun...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 06:18:43 pm »
+2

Then we had a threesome. I am guessing my story is unique in that respect.

That is more information than I needed or expected, yet I suspect your story is not necessarily unique.  It might be unique among people on the forum though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 06:26:48 pm »
+17

I quit my first game of Dominion on T1 because I had no idea what I was supposed to do. A friend had accidentally sent me a link to isotropic (meant for someone else) without any kind of instruction. Thus my Dominion career was borne out of a misclick.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 08:56:28 pm »

You're the guy who needed a while to find out a physical implementation of Dominion exists, right?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 01:14:28 am »
+6

My first game was a demo with a prototype at Origins; I believe this was 2007. The rumor mill told me to look out for Rio Grande's "Game X", which had recently been also demoed at the Gathering of Friends. The copy we played was Xerox/laser-print on colored paper with a card in sleeves--green for the VP cards, white for the Actions, etc. The VP symbol was a crown. I remember Valerie was there and I think she taught; I don't remember who else was around. I believe the Kingdom we used was the same 10 cards that we all know as the typical introductory Kingdom. I don't remember the outcome of the game, but I remember we all made the novice mistake of overbuying terminals and then of course scrambling for Villages. I remember thinking the game needed an equal-turns rule. (I've since recanted, of course, but I don't think it's destructive for a 3p/4p game with novices.) We talked briefly after the game about some other cards and the demoer told us about their favorite strategy (Chapel-based deck-thinning) and the strategy we would eventually know as Turbo Remodel.

Man, that was the start of a long awesome journey.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 04:38:27 am »

Our first game (2p with my husband) was from the base set, that I'd found on sale just before christmas. Noone to teach us, and so a) we thought gardens were supposed to be in every game (like the other VP cards), and b) I thought we had to empty all the green piles. Gardens ended up at 7vp each (wow, cheap province!), and the game took over two hours. Can't remember who won.

We also thought chapel was only good for curses, and I didn't learn better before reading the Dominion strategy webpage.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 06:48:14 am »
+1

isotropic is awesome and everything, but learning how to play dominion on it doesn't sound like much fun...
I learned Innovation on Isotropic. It would have been a pain without the excellent tutorial on the forums. I can only imagine how horrible learning Dominion would've been.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 08:03:39 am »

I learned Innovation on Isotropic. It would have been a pain without the excellent tutorial on the forums. I can only imagine how horrible learning Dominion would've been.
Nah, Dominion isn't that hard, especially the base set.
You just have to follow your ABCD.
A is for Action
B is for Buy
C is Clean-Up
(D is for Duration?)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 08:33:01 am »

D is draw.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 08:55:11 am »
+1

Then we had a threesome. I am guessing my story is unique in that respect.

That is more information than I needed or expected, yet I suspect your story is not necessarily unique.  It might be unique among people on the forum though.

It isn't, for the record.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:26 am »

A 4 player game with a friend who had played before. I can't remember who won, but I'm guessing the friend who knew what he was doing. It was base only with him selecting a beginner friendly kingdom. Market was clearly broken, as was Village. A week later we played again, this time with Prosperity and Intrigue mixed in. Over a month or so we bought the rest of the expansions, and found isotropic. A lot of Dominion was played then.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 03:01:11 pm »
+1

You're the guy who needed a while to find out a physical implementation of Dominion exists, right?

Yah, I learned of isotropic's cumbersome cousin upon googling "Dominion strategy", finding the eponymous blog and seeing all that strange artwork.

Imagine learning it with all sets at once and no prior experience!

Tbh, it wasn't actually that hard, even though it took quite a while to learn all cards by their actions. By far the most important thing when learning something new is to just do it, then do it some more and then do even more of it. Online Dominion is a much more natural fit for this than the cardboard implementation, with which you'd be able to play at most 10-15 games/day.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 03:06:47 pm »
+6

I remember mine, got it from the local five and dime. We played it till my fingers bled, me and some guys from school

When i look back now, that summer seemed to last forever. Those were the best days of my life.
But i guess nothing ever last forever
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:45 pm »
+1

I remember mine, got it from the local five and dime. We played it till my fingers bled, me and some guys from school

When i look back now, that summer seemed to last forever. Those were the best days of my life.

Death. Death lasts forever.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »
+1

Death. Death lasts forever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22362835

Or not...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2013, 06:53:45 pm »
+1

I remember mint, got it from the local five and dime. We played it till my fingers bled, me and some guys from school

FTFY
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2013, 07:16:36 pm »
+15

I remember mint, got it from the local five and dime. We played it till my fingers bled, me and some guys from school

FTFY
Where is the downvote button?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »
+15

FTFY

Kirian has punched you in the nuts
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

forestplay

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
    • Forestplay Network
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 04:19:03 pm »
+15

First game was last Sunday.  I bought this game a couple of years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf since.  I usually buy a few games at Christmas that are highly rated to give as gifts, typically Mensa award winners.  Recent favorites have been Quirkle, Pentago and Quarto.  Dominion was so different, it sat literally unopened for two years.

Last weekend my wife said she wanted to learn this game because the box was interesting.  Complete newbies, both of us, it took a while to work through that first game.  We played the suggested first game twice, then moved to the other suggested games, playing each twice.  We are loving Dominion more with each time.  We ordered our first expansion pack: Seaside.

This has us so excited about game playing, we went to a "Game" store were we know people play occasionally.  We found out that Thursday nights are the adult game nights and we plan to go tonight to see if anyone will play with Dominion beginners.

-Bob

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2014, 04:33:13 pm »

First game was last Sunday.  I bought this game a couple of years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf since.  I usually buy a few games at Christmas that are highly rated to give as gifts, typically Mensa award winners.  Recent favorites have been Quirkle, Pentago and Quarto.  Dominion was so different, it sat literally unopened for two years.

Last weekend my wife said she wanted to learn this game because the box was interesting.  Complete newbies, both of us, it took a while to work through that first game.  We played the suggested first game twice, then moved to the other suggested games, playing each twice.  We are loving Dominion more with each time.  We ordered our first expansion pack: Seaside.

This has us so excited about game playing, we went to a "Game" store were we know people play occasionally.  We found out that Thursday nights are the adult game nights and we plan to go tonight to see if anyone will play with Dominion beginners.

-Bob

That's great! It's nice to have real people to play with. Most people here play online, but I used to play with some friends. If you're willing to play online, I would be interested in playing some with you, as I'm sure many people here would.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2014, 06:11:02 pm »
+4

That's great! It's nice to have real people to play with. Most people here play online, but I used to play with some friends. If you're willing to play online, I would be interested in playing some with you, as I'm sure many people here would.

Someone take this to the out of context thread.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2014, 06:31:52 pm »
+14

my first game of dominion was played while a number of lovely young ladies baked and then served me delicious fresh apple pie.

Hey, that's the same as my first game of Dominion!

Unfortunately in my case, that number was zero.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 07:06:42 pm »
+2

my first game of dominion was played while a number of lovely young ladies baked and then served me delicious fresh apple pie.

Hey, that's the same as my first game of Dominion!

Unfortunately in my case, that number was zero.
Hey, I have that same shirt! Except its blue and it's a pair of pants.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 03:40:12 am »
+2

Someone take this to the adult game night next Thursday.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 09:04:02 am »

Someone take this to the adult game night next Thursday.

Look upthread, at least two people have already used Dominion as part of their Penthouse Letter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.