Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: GGG - Goons/Governor/Gardens  (Read 1003 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
GGG - Goons/Governor/Gardens
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:18:16 pm »
+1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131115/log.5075b25251c30da02a09b898.1384548083253.txt

Code: [Select]
Crossroads, Lighthouse, Oracle, Farming Village, Gardens, Apprentice, Governor, Knights, Witch, Goons(Sir Michael - discard - was on top but never bought)

An interesting game here.  Huge engine potential, with Goons and Gardens for alt-VP and Governor/Apprentice to draw your deck every turn.  The main thing against the engine is the lighthouse.  You can easily gain a lot of them through governor trashing and goons buying, so you've got very strong coverage.  This hurts the the Governor's draw (given the discard attacks), and of course it makes knights pretty useless. 

The first difference comes with the first reshuffle, where my opponent buys a Witch on 6.  I think this is clearly a mistake b/c of the lighthouses and the good $2 targets for governor trashing.  I pick up a goons for the attack and to start in on my lighthouse coverage.  Unlike the curses, which hurt later, while the goons hurts now, at least in principle.  Looking at the log, the discard attacks didn't really hurt that much, so I'm thinking that governors should've been a higher priority.  I'm ok with goons 1 before governor, but T10 i get a 3rd goons instead of the last governor while I have no plus action - definitely a mistake.  My opponent wins the governor split 6/4.

Turn 12 is where we start to diverge.  He picks up an apprentice while I, stuck with $4, get a gardens.  I was basically feeling a little behind in the engineering race and wanted to start greening.  I get a big turn T13 - the crossroads was in the last 4 cards in deck - if I hadn't picked that up I'd have been very sad.  I get $20 and four buys.  I make another mistake here in getting two provinces, a gardens and a copper.  Almost certainly this should've been something like 3xgardens + prov/goons, although at this point there are still 6 goons in the supply. 

From there, I'm basically all green while my opponent's engine is really starting to cook.  He's drawing his whole deck every turn, but the clock is ticking.  I am trading my silvers in for gardens through my opponent's governor trashing, and he's only got one goons to start.  T14 he plays one goons, T15 he plays 3, and T16 he plays 5!  However, his governors are putting cards in my hand, so T16 I manage to pick up all my goons and the crossroads (drawing just 4 with it -  :'() and pile it out on goons, governor, and gardens.

Very fun game here.  GGG all!  (Dan Savage would be proud, I'm sure.)
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: GGG - Goons/Governor/Gardens
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:50:19 pm »

This is an exciting kingdom. Well, any kingdom where Knights are neutered is an exciting kingdom, but this one especially!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.032 seconds with 21 queries.