Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Oh Goko...  (Read 9102 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Goko...
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:55 pm »
+2

Also, remember that they didn't originally have just three employees.  I mean... their website still shows all seven senior employees, of whom presumably at least four are gone

It's six.

What?

I followed the links to their LinkedIn accounts. Only one of them still works there. Six of them are gone! It's ludicrous.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »
+4

"Goko’s main competitors are Electronic Arts-owned Pogo and Hasbro."

Hahahahahah, funniest thing all day.
I bet Hasbro are quaking in thier ivory towers!

They mean competitors for the title of "Most Tech-Illiterate Board Game Company."

Hasbro is constantly getting clobbered by illegal variants of their games (e.g. Scramble/Scrabulous on Facebook, ISC).  Ever play the official Hasbro implementations of these games?  Neither does anyone else.

Rather than deal with these guys to take a cut in exchange for a license (or better yet, coordinate with them before they go rogue), Hasbro leans on them legally until they produce variants that just barely evade copyright laws (e.g. Scramble/Words With Friends on Android).

These legal variants also clobber the Hasbro versions, and worse yet, the copyright-evading changes actually make them better games than the originals.  It's like Hasbro is engaged in a vast conspiracy to wean people off of their own products.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 04:44:13 pm »

Aaah Playdek, where were you when we needed you....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 04:53:02 pm »

Aaah Playdek, where were you when we needed you....

Even if Playdek had approached Rio Grande Games (which they may have), RGG would have rejected them because they make games exclusively for mobile and tablet devices. RGG chose Goko because they promised "Games that go anywhere".

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:54 pm »
+1

I followed the links to their LinkedIn accounts. Only one of them still works there. Six of them are gone! It's ludicrous.

Oh, I gotcha.  I thought for a moment you were disputing the seven, not the four.

These legal variants also clobber the Hasbro versions, and worse yet, the copyright-evading changes actually make them better games than the originals.  It's like Hasbro is engaged in a vast conspiracy to wean people off of their own products.

Until, of course, they started marketing a Zynga/Hasbro board-game version of Words with Friends, so that they can both make money... by selling something of lower quality for the same price!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 08:52:07 pm »
+2

Until, of course, they started marketing a Zynga/Hasbro board-game version of Words with Friends, so that they can both make money... by selling something of lower quality for the same price!

Oh hey, I'm only 13 months behind on my board game news!
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 09:13:49 pm »

Oh hey, I'm only 13 months behind on my board game news!

Seriously though, they have some serious win/win/win shit going on right there.  You can even find Scrabble and WWF sitting next to each other in the store, and Hasbro gets a cut of both sales.  It'd be like if WOTC bought up some clone of Magic, then kept selling them side by side.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 10:25:48 pm »

It'd be like if WOTC bought up some clone of Magic, then kept selling them side by side.

Ahem, Agricola. Caverna is very good though.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 03:23:30 am »
+2

They have over 150, and may God have mercy on our souls.

Live on Goko’s service right now, as well as on Facebook and Google+, is the multiplayer version of social card game Dominion.

Wait, we can play Dominion on Facebook? Is that what happens when you go into Outpost III?!?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.875 seconds with 20 queries.