Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What would a leveled-up City cost?  (Read 19662 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
Re: What would a leveled-up City cost?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 07:18:04 pm »
+3

Border Village v2 $6
When you buy this, return it to the supply.  Gain a card costing less than this and put a Border Stamp on it.
-----
Cards with a Border Stamp on them give an additional +1 Action when played.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 02:00:03 am »
+1

Cards permanently affecting other cards sounds like a really fun mechanic.  Not in Dominion, but I bet you could design a fun game around that idea.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 08:48:28 am »

Cards permanently affecting other cards sounds like a really fun mechanic.  Not in Dominion, but I bet you could design a fun game around that idea.

I'm not quite sure whether you're genuine, in which case I agree (but don't see why it couldn't work in Dominion), or whether this is a joke referring to an existing game centered around this mechanic, in which case I'm curious about what game that is :)

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 10:23:21 am »

I'm not quite sure whether you're genuine, in which case I agree (but don't see why it couldn't work in Dominion), or whether this is a joke referring to an existing game centered around this mechanic, in which case I'm curious about what game that is :)

It doesn't work in Dominion because the idea involves applying a permanent change to a single instance of a card. We can't just mark the pile or a placeholder because the other cards of that type need to not be affected, and we can't put a token or even a sticker on the affected card because we need to shuffle the cards and still distinguish them. About the only solution for a physical game requires making the cards unique. Even Magic, with all its complexity, has its cards completely wiped of all their state the moment they leave the play area.

However, it would be very easy in a computerized game.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2013, 11:32:47 am »

It doesn't work in Dominion because the idea involves applying a permanent change to a single instance of a card. We can't just mark the pile or a placeholder because the other cards of that type need to not be affected, and we can't put a token or even a sticker on the affected card because we need to shuffle the cards and still distinguish them. About the only solution for a physical game requires making the cards unique. Even Magic, with all its complexity, has its cards completely wiped of all their state the moment they leave the play area.

You can use sleeves, and put a piece of paper inside the sleeve if the card is changed. The change in thickness is so incredibly small that you wouldn't be able to stack your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 12:37:08 pm »
+1

I was thinking metallic cards, with magnetic modules! That could be ridiculous but potentially awesome. Most things can be improved by adding magnets.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53:50 pm »

Both Hearthstone and Hex are able to do this sort of thing.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 02:36:56 pm »

But modifying the entire pile* still could still be interesting.  Or you could play around with a card that permanently switched out one pile for another that isn't in the supply.  That would be a little wonky.

*By pile, I mean every instance of that card, wherever it may be.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
+2

I was thinking metallic cards, with magnetic modules! That could be ridiculous but potentially awesome. Most things can be improved by adding magnets.

White-board material cards where you can write on them with a marker.  Everything can be improved by adding white boards.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 03:02:09 pm »

I was thinking of putting a stamp on the front of the card, so you could only see it when you were supposed to (and make it tiny so you don't feel it when shuffling).

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2013, 03:02:33 pm »

The main problem I was thinking was that it would leave a sticky residue on it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 03:23:48 pm »

White-board material cards where you can write on them with a marker.  Everything can be improved by adding white boards.

Wouldn't they erase when shuffling? Or worse, mark other cards with ink?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 05:11:07 pm »

Wouldn't they erase when shuffling? Or worse, mark other cards with ink?

Just raise the border slightly so the front of the card doesn't rub against other cards.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 06:37:05 pm »
+3

F*cking Magnets. How do they work?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:38:38 pm by Ozle »
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 07:07:13 pm »
+2

Well, when a mummy manget and a daddy magnet love each other very... wait a second, that's the wrong canned response isn't it?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 07:49:24 pm »

Maybe check out Risk: Legacy?  It's not at all like regular Risk.  The guy who designed is also working on another Legacy-style game outside of the Risk brand.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2013, 09:09:34 am »

Maybe check out Risk: Legacy?  It's not at all like regular Risk.  The guy who designed is also working on another Legacy-style game outside of the Risk brand.
That is good news!
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »

🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 06:19:30 pm »

But modifying the entire pile* still could still be interesting.  Or you could play around with a card that permanently switched out one pile for another that isn't in the supply.  That would be a little wonky.

*By pile, I mean every instance of that card, wherever it may be.

I made a thread about that a while back, actually. If I weren't on my phone I'd link it, but it's take me an hour to find on this tiny keyboard. ._.

pitythefool

• Thief
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 08:47:17 pm »
+5

What would a leveled-up City cost?

We can get a fairly good indication using multiple non-linear regression.
This technique looks at the attributes and costs of other Dominion cards and develops a formula for their worth.
I won't go into a lot of detail on the technique since it's rather involved and you can read about it online.
Let cards = extra cards drawn by playing a card.
Let actions = actions gained by playing a card.
Let buys = plus buys gained by playing a card.
Let coins = treasure gained by playing a card.
The formula I modeled is cost = a * cards + b * actions + c * coins + d * buys + e * cards^2 + f * actions^2 + g * coins^2 +

h * buys^2 + i, where the coefficients a, b, c, d, e, f, h, and i are determined by least-squared error fit of the input data

against known card costs.
The difficult part is determining the base set of cards to generate the model.
We can only use "plain vanilla" cards that only grant +cards, +actions, +buys, or +coins and do not have any other side

effects that would skew the cost.
I used Smithy, Festival, Worker's Village, Bazaar, Village, Laboratory, Market, and Woodcutter.
I also included Grand Market, ignoring the cost restriction against copper.
And to better guage the worth of +coins, I added the treasure cards Copper, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.
To put these cards on an equal footing with the action cards, I had to indicate that they gave plus one action.
That seemed reasonable since they do not use up an action to play them.
Crunching the numbers then yielded the above formula:

cost = 3.69 * cards + 0.88 * actions + 2.04 * coins + 0 * buys - 0.52 * cards^2 + 0.076 * actions^2 + 0.0074 * coins^2 + 0.7

* buys^2 -2.08

Here's the kingdom cards with their actual costs and modeled costs.

Copper            0  0.92
Silver            3  2.98
Gold              6  5.06
Platinum          9  9.25
Smithy            4  4.28
Festival          5  4.79
Worker's Village  4  3.85
Bazaar            5  5.20
Village           3  3.15
Laboratory        5  4.16
Market            5  4.79
Woodcutter        3  2.72
Grand Market      6  6.85

As you can see, the predicated worth is close to the actual costs.
Using the formula on the three levels of the City card yield:

City 1            5  3.37
City 2            ?  7.06
City 3            ?  9.09

So the analysis would suggest that prices of 7 coins and 9 coins are appropriate.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 08:59:48 pm »

We can only use "plain vanilla" cards that only grant +cards, +actions, +buys, or +coins and do not have any other side

effects that would skew the cost.
Actually you're not limited by that, you can also include 'cursing', 'ruining' or just plain 'special effect' that only affects one card, the regression should still be able to handle it

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:31 pm »
+1

Actually you're not limited by that, you can also include 'cursing', 'ruining' or just plain 'special effect' that only affects one card, the regression should still be able to handle it

Adding variables reduces the accuracy and the number of extra cards you can include in the experiment does not make up for it.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 09:08:51 pm »
+3

As cool as it is, it's not going to produce accurate results.  "+2 cards" (Moat without the reaction) is priced at $3.22; "+5 cards" is priced at $3.37, less than Smithy.  "+7 cards" has a negative price.

Part of the problem is that Dominion prices are not linear; the gap between $4 and $5 is commonly thought to be much larger than the gap between $3 and $4 and the gap between $5 and $6.

Also note that Grand Market should not be included, since the buy restriction makes it cost more than $6.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:54 pm »

Also note that Grand Market should not be included, since the buy restriction makes it cost more than $6.

(Indeed, Grand Market without the +buy was tested as a vanilla $7; the reason it has its current wonky cost is because playtesters wanted it to have +buy.)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2013, 09:42:32 pm »
+3

How does Village come out to 3.15 and City 1 come to 3.37?  City 1 has exactly the same effect as Village.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.664 seconds with 21 queries.