Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Feedback Wanted: The One-Shot Almost-Festival  (Read 5019 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Feedback Wanted: The One-Shot Almost-Festival
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:31:45 am »

I'm working on a cheap card that's sort of a self-trashing Festival without the +Buy. The actual card is more complex, but the gist of it is:

Types: Action
Cost: $2
+2 Actions. +$2. Trash this.

It can cheaply kick-start your early economy. Later on you could use them as inexpensive extra villages to keep your engine going. Is it too good for $2, or not good enough? You decide!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:33:34 am by LastFootnote »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback Wanted: The One-Shot Almost-Festival
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45:59 am »
+1

I'm working on a cheap card that's sort of a self-trashing Festival without the +Buy. The actual card is more complex, but the gist of it is:

+2 Actions. +$2. Trash this.

It can cheaply kick-start your early economy. Later on you could use them as inexpensive extra villages to keep your engine going. Is it too good for $2, or not good enough? You decide!

For kick-starting, it is the same as Silver, and the difference between $2 and $3 is not significant usually. Of course, in some cases you would like the Silver to go away, but usually not, or not as fast. It will also provide great advantage to 5/2 openings in the cases that those are already great. In contrast, when 5/2 is really bad, this costing $2 will make it better.

It also compares quite unfavourably with Fishing Village, but granted, FV is possibly the best village in the game.

It is odd that you removed the +Buy, since it will self-synergize in some sense. It will make the pile easy to piledrive, but not much easier than Hamlet. And it may be a nice usage in some cases.

So, to your actual question, for me it feels that it is not powerful enough to be better than Silver in most cases. I would add a +Buy. It will still be niche, but then it will have an extra use like buying a pseudo Necropolis (since +$2 and +Buy give you a replacement) and some times you want a Necropolis.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:56:14 am »

For kick-starting, it is the same as Silver, and the difference between $2 and $3 is not significant usually. Of course, in some cases you would like the Silver to go away, but usually not, or not as fast. It will also provide great advantage to 5/2 openings in the cases that those are already great. In contrast, when 5/2 is really bad, this costing $2 will make it better.

It also compares quite unfavourably with Fishing Village, but granted, FV is possibly the best village in the game.

It is odd that you removed the +Buy, since it will self-synergize in some sense. It will make the pile easy to piledrive, but not much easier than Hamlet. And it may be a nice usage in some cases.

So, to your actual question, for me it feels that it is not powerful enough to be better than Silver in most cases. I would add a +Buy. It will still be niche, but then it will have an extra use like buying a pseudo Necropolis (since +$2 and +Buy give you a replacement) and some times you want a Necropolis.

Thanks for the feedback! There are two reasons it doesn't have +Buy. The first is that when I set out to make this card, I didn't start with Festival as the base card. I started out trying to make a non-terminal $2 card with an eye toward perhaps making it self-trash. When I went up from +1 Action to +2 Actions, I realized it was close to Festival. So even though the thread says "Almost-Festival", I didn't exactly "remove" the +Buy.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:00:57 am by LastFootnote »

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:42 pm »
+1

Out of interest - what is the actual card?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:33:04 pm »

The actual card is a two-shot.

Jubilee
+2 Actions. +$2. You may spend a token. If you don't, trash this.

When you gain this, take a token.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:55:36 pm »
+1

Ok, some of my feedback is not entirely spot on, then. I can imagine a lot more times that you want a Silver to disappear after its second use than the same but after its first. Most Minion and Colony games, I would dare say.

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 05:23:25 pm »
+1

Jubilee
+2 Actions. +$2. You may spend a token. If you don't, trash this.

When you gain this, take a token.

I can see why it doesn't have the + buy now...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »

Bingo.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 05:39:42 pm »
+1

Bingo.

I am not sure it would be overpowered with it. Still lots of opportunity cost if you are just going to autoreplace it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:02:43 pm »

I am not sure it would be overpowered with it. Still lots of opportunity cost if you are just going to autoreplace it.

Well, you could be right. If it needs a power boost, I might try +1 Buy. If possible I'd rather keep it simpler and differentiate it from Festival.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 07:43:43 pm »
+1

Well, there is a middle ground -- "If you don't, trash this and +1 Buy."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »

Sure, but Fund already does that. I'd rather have the rest of the +Buys in the set be on cards that aren't one-shots if possible.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 11:46:47 pm »

But then you would have a Silvillage for just $2. Keep the trashing idea.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 12:28:57 am »
+1

That suggestion was going off of LF's two-shot card, so the trashing is still there.  But if it doesn't work with the rest of the set, that's another thing.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 05:56:10 pm »
+1

That suggestion was going off of LF's two-shot card, so the trashing is still there.  But if it doesn't work with the rest of the set, that's another thing.
Right, sorry, my bad...
Does it really need to work with the rest of the set? Its a cool card. Besides, there are plenty of cards that are out of place in their sets.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 09:20:54 pm »

I'm glad you think it's a cool card. I guess I'm not yet convinced that it needs the +1 Buy in order to be interesting or good enough. Like I said, if playtesting reveals that it needs something extra, I'll try giving it the extra buy, but I'd like it not to be the exact same effect as Festival if possible.

Also bear in mind that the tokens that Jubilee uses to keep from being trashed are also used by four other cards in the set as of this writing, so within the context of the set itself, you might buy it in order to get a one-shot Silver and a token. In those cases, I'm not sure I really want Jubilee to enable buying more of itself so easily. Maybe it would be cool, I don't know. I'm afraid the pile might run out a little too fast.

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 11:13:49 pm »
+2

Obviously I don't know what other cards you have in your set, LFN, but I agree that adding a buy makes this card a prime target for piling. Also, I think it is just fine as a rather mediocre $2. It has interesting niche purposes, which is what $2s are all about.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 06:39:53 am »
+1

Obviously I don't know what other cards you have in your set, LFN, but I agree that adding a buy makes this card a prime target for piling. Also, I think it is just fine as a rather mediocre $2. It has interesting niche purposes, which is what $2s are all about.

There are plenty of $2s that are powerful: Chapel, Courtyard, Hamlet, Fool's Gold. There are also plenty that are not really powerful, but useful in most games: Pawn, Vagrant, Crossroads.

I don't think *most* $2s are niche at all. I think the best designed cards are somewhat useful most of the time and incredible once in a while. I guess Crossroads is a fine example of that.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 10:45:19 am »

I think this card will likely fall into the category of "useful most of the time and really good some of the time". Most engine decks probably won't mind picking some up and occasionally it'll be very powerful (Library, etc.).

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 01:15:33 pm »

I think this card will likely fall into the category of "useful most of the time and really good some of the time". Most engine decks probably won't mind picking some up and occasionally it'll be very powerful (Library, etc.).

I guess having an engine with an excess of +Buy is not really uncommon, but is not common either. Picking this up in an engine has quite large opportunity cost (in terms of Buys, in terms of money it is kind of money smoothing + some villaging, which can be great) because it provides no longevity. If you already have plenty of +Buy (like having Festival or Worker's Village as your main village), then this is a nice addition, but still feels more like little combos than an actual overall use.

I am ready to be proved wrong, though, I am just speculating.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.