Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gambling Hall  (Read 3071 times)

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Gambling Hall
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:14:06 pm »

Having a go at making a Treasure-Attack card as i don't think that many exist (i've only seen Charter so far). The trashing for yourself is optional; the trashing for other players is not.

GAMBLING HALL, $4, Treasure-Attack
+$2
When you play this, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand trashes a card from his hand.
You may trash a card from your hand.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:10:28 pm by sylas »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Gambling Hall
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 01:28:52 pm »

Having a go at making a Treasure-Attack card as i don't think that many exist (i've only seen Charter so far). The trashing for yourself is optional; the trashing for other players is not.

GAMBLING HALL, $5, Treasure-Attack
+$2
When you play this, you may trash a card from your hand.
If you do, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand trashes a card from his hand.

Unless you can play this a lot (or they have already trashed with something else), this will benefit them, and not attack them.  I've thought about trashing attacks like this before, and trashing a card costing $3 or more (or revealing a hand with no cards costing $3 or more) might be better.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:00:48 pm »

If you think about it, "each other player trashes a card from their hand" is not really worse for your opponents than Masquerade.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 03:09:43 pm »

+$2
If you do, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand trashes a card from his hand.

Unless you can play this a lot (or they have already trashed with something else), this will benefit them, and not attack them.  I've thought about trashing attacks like this before, and trashing a card costing $3 or more (or revealing a hand with no cards costing $3 or more) might be better.

$3 more is a bit rough as you'd start targeting Provinces towards the end game.  Would have neat synnergy with Soothsayer since you gain a Gold to replace one you trashed and they'd draw a card to make sure they have a Province (unless curses are out, and by that time they probably are). Though ultimately you'd want a Cutpurse or something for hand inspection.

Maybe having it trash a card at least as expensive as the card you trashed would be better.  You could still make them trash a Province with Peddler, but that's it (unless you play like 8 Highways and they have a hand of all Provinces).

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:09:43 pm »

$3 or more makes it so much better than Saboteur. Used early game, a player might find it hard to hang on to a simple Silver.
Trashing a card that is at least as expensive feels odd. How often will Peddler and Gambling Hall be in the same game? And if an opponent doesn't have such a card of equal cost, you'd basically be trashing a good card from your hand for nothing.

at the moment Gambling Hall is a bit like a Bishop/Treasure. GH obviously doesn't give you VT, but the spend is +$1 more and requires no Action to play. More than one of these would clean your deck faster than other players so the 'trash one card per round' benefit to others seems worth it. Maybe tweaking it slightly would be more balanced ($3 feels too cheap):

+$2
When you play this, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand trashes a card from his hand.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »

$3 or more makes it so much better than Saboteur. Used early game, a player might find it hard to hang on to a simple Silver.
Trashing a card that is at least as expensive feels odd. How often will Peddler and Gambling Hall be in the same game? And if an opponent doesn't have such a card of equal cost, you'd basically be trashing a good card from your hand for nothing.

at the moment Gambling Hall is a bit like a Bishop/Treasure. GH obviously doesn't give you VT, but the spend is +$1 more and requires no Action to play. More than one of these would clean your deck faster than other players so the 'trash one card per round' benefit to others seems worth it. Maybe tweaking it slightly would be more balanced ($3 feels too cheap):

+$2

I think it shouldn't be an attack if it doesn't hurt them most of the time.  Also, Saboteur is way better at the trashing part because it digs for a card to trash, and chooses the first one, while trashing from hand gives five choices, and doesn't always trash.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:39:05 pm »

Also, Saboteur is way better at the trashing part because it digs for a card to trash, and chooses the first one, while trashing from hand gives five choices, and doesn't always trash.
Though, trashing from deck doesn't screw up your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:14 pm »

I think it shouldn't be an attack if it doesn't hurt them most of the time.  Also, Saboteur is way better at the trashing part because it digs for a card to trash, and chooses the first one, while trashing from hand gives five choices, and doesn't always trash.

Playing a card that affects another player's hand or deck through trashing MUST be an Attack though, right?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 06:09:47 pm »

Playing a card that affects another player's hand or deck through trashing MUST be an Attack though, right?
No. It can be an Attack if you want to, but it doesn't have to be.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:11:27 pm »

Bishop is an attack!!!!!111!111!!!!!11!!!!

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 06:28:44 pm »

Bishop is an attack!!!!!111!111!!!!!11!!!!

you know what i meant. with Bishop the trashing is optional anyway rather than a must.

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:50:21 pm »

Having one last shot at this. If GH was tweaked to having 4 cards rather than 5, does this run the risk of being too strong mid/late game? Junk cards will run out nearly twice as fast so i made self trashing a necessity in order to Attack.

+$2
If you do, each other player with at least 4 cards in hand trashes a card from his hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.843 seconds with 22 queries.